01. Prologue

An Apple A Day Doesn't Keep Byun Baekhyun Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


And so it starts...


Ahn Iseul


“Rise and shine!”

Iseul’s voice echoed through the bedroom, making her roommate(who was her best friend as well) groan and pull the covers over her head. 

“Go away!” Nari mumbled.

“Oh, come on! It’s a beautiful Spring morning! Can’t you hear the lovely bird song?” Iseul chuckled as she walked over to the window, pushing the curtains to the side and allowing the sunlight in. “You know, mornings don’t bite… if you tell me otherwise and show me proof, you would be a phenomenon.”

“Really?” Nari mumbled. 

Iseul smirked and before Nari could even react, the latter jumped on top of her and started to tickle her. 

“Wakey! Wakey!” Iseul cheered. “It's our first day at the new station!” 

“I am awake! Yah! Stop tickling me! You are squishing me!”

Iseul grinned. “My job is done here. The last one out of the room is a donkey!” 

“Oh, no–”

With that, Iseul ran out of the room as Nari followed after her. 

“Yah! Get back here!” 

“I win!” Iseul stuck her tongue out. “House chores are yours for the week.”

Nari blinked. “Are you five?”

Iseul rolled her eyes. “Stop being an angry bird, you’ll grow old faster, and then… wait is that a gray hair I see?” 

Nari’s hand came at her hair and turned towards the mirror at the doorway only to see it was nothing. She glared. “Ha...ha...ha. Very funny, Ahn.”

Iseul hummed. “You always fall for it. Anyway, move that cute of yours. Breakfast is already on the table and you take forever to get dressed,” Iseul teased. 

Nari grumbled something and squinted her eyes before making a beeline and exiting the kitchen. Iseul hummed a happy tune as she watched her friend leave. Iseul loved to joke and she would use any opportunity she had for that - those who knew her, knew that she meant no harm, including Nari. According to Iseul, laughter was the best cure for anything - it can brighten up a cloudy day, life was too short to spend it in tears. True, she had her moments, but they never lasted long. With Nari constantly making her laugh, she can’t find time for overthinking. Both of the girls loved to joke around even though Nari was a grumpy bird in the morning, but aside from that, she was a cool lad. That's why the two clicked almost immediately. 

Finishing her coffee, she reached for her phone. One of her routines included scrolling through SNS and checking her friend's posts. She especially liked the silly things that were posted and if given the chance, she would, of course, comment and tease. Reaching for a piece of french fries, she put it in and chewed on it as a message suddenly popped up on her screen. 


Chanyeol: Rise and shine, Ahn! It’s your big day! 
7:00 AM

Iseul: Rise and shine, Park! Shall we get the party started?🤣
7:00 AM

Chanyeol: Of course! Did we ever fail when it came to pranks and pulling people’s legs? Speaking of people… how is our grumpy bird this morning? She partied hard last night.🤣
7:01 AM

Iseul: Hissing and grumbling, like always. 🤣 
7:01 AM

Nari: You are aware that this is a group chat, right?😒
7:02 AM

Chanyeol: Of course. We are seeking attention here! Notice us! Notice us!
7:02 AM

Iseul: 🤣Notice us! Notice us! Notice us! 
7:03 AM

Nari: 😏Oh, I will.
7:03 AM

Chanyeol: I believe that we are screwed, huh Iseul?
7:04 AM

Iseul: 👀 I believe we are, my friend. Shall we run for it?
7:04 AM

Chanyeol: Her silence says it all. Hey! How about we bribe her?
7:05 AM

Iseul: Park, you want your head chewed off, don’t you?
7:05 AM

Chanyeol: 👀 No.
7:06 AM

Nari: Is it pick on Nari day? 😒
7:06 AM

Iseul: Nope, it’s help Nari wake up day, right Park?
7:07 AM 

Chanyeol: Right! What she said! 😁
7:07 AM

Nari: Both of you are dead. (heart emoji)
7:08 AM

Iseul: We love you too. 💗
7:08 AM

Chanyeol: 💗💗💗
7:09 AM

Areum: Ignore the idiot. 😥
7:09 AM

Eunji: You are blasting my phone. Hundred messages. Really?! 😲
7:10 AM

Iseul: Must you be dramatic, Ji? 😂
7:10 AM

Chanyeol: 😭 My girl called me an idiot. 
7:11 AM

Eunji: I’ll give you dramatic, Ahn. And Park? Endure it like a man.
7:11 AM 

Sehun: You kinda are a little. But I still love you.
7:12 am

Chanyeol: Really? 😲 YAH!
7:12 AM

Sehun: 😋
7:13 AM

Areum: Chanyeol. Get your ready or you’ll be late again! YAH!
7:13 AM

Chanyeol: 😍 She cares and loves me.
7:14 AM

Jongin: Park is always late.
7:15 AM

Nari: No . He was late for his wedding.
7:16 AM

Areum: I swear… See you guys later!
7:17 AM


Iseul was laughing her off as she shook her head and wiped the tears out of the corners of her eyes before typing a reply. 


Iseul: See you! 
7:19 AM

Chanyeol: Bye!
7:19 AM

Eunji: Don’t forget about the welcome party tonight!
7:20 AM

Nari: But guys… it’s not necessary.
7:21 AM

Iseul: Shut it, Party Monster. You know you want it. (stick tongue out emoji)
7:21 AM

Sehun: There will be your favorite drink… and you know…
7:22 AM

Nari: Gotta run! Bye! 
7:23 AM


After a good laugh and chat with her friends, she put her phone back into her pocket and reached for the leather backpack that she had earlier left in the kitchen before waking Nari. ping it, she rummaged through it, making sure she had packed everything she needed for her first day at the new station. Being a member of the National Guard meant changing cities and stations and cities every once in a while - they called it a rotation. Iseul wouldn’t call it a bother as it allowed her to move in and around Korea. For the past three years of working for the National Guard, the female was able to visit almost all of the cities, including Jeju island and Japan. 

Another aspect was that she loved the job. The National Guard didn’t only include protecting the borders or the country from hostile attacks, but it also included helping out after natural disasters - earthquakes, floods, hurricanes, landslides, tornados, volcanic eruptions. wildfire, and many others. Helping others gave Iseul a self of accomplishment. It made her happy and it made her heart be at ease. Of course, there was more to the story as to why she decided to join the National Guard, but it’s best to leave it for another time and place.

“Hurry up, Ri!” Iseul called out. “We have to leave in 15!” 

“Coming!”
 


Lee Nari


Another hectic morning hadn’t allowed her to have a peac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter