sleepy and dead(ly)

dumb her way out: the series
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Winter was petrified the first time that she and Karina decided to have a sleepover as a couple. It wasn't just because she was lying on a worn-out, gray and eerily squeaking bed in a house that could easily be mistaken for a haunted one—but the thing that truly filled her with fright was the fact that her girlfriend just naturally looked like… 

 

That. 

 

And by That, she means eyes shut tightly with both of her hands across her chest, hardly ever making any movements, and terrifying breathing routine—or lack thereof. 

 

Karina sleeps like a dead person.

 

Yes, with the coffin and all.

 

“I can feel you staring, sweetheart.” the vampire murmurs in her ‘sleep'.

 

It's their sixth (?) sleepover as a couple and as shocking as it may sound, they still haven't slept on the same bed because for some reason, Karina keeps insisting on sleeping in her ‘deathbed'.

 

Winter chuckles, resting a palm against her girlfriend's coffin. “The bed is big enough for the two of us, you know?” 

 

“I know.” Karina retorts, her eyes still closed.

 

“Come on, babe.” Winter tries to reason. “I look like I'm mourning you.”

 

“Must be nice.” The vampire remains indifferent. Winter has been persistently trying to convince her to share the bed, but unfortunately, none of her efforts have been successful so far.

 

Winter sighs in exasperation as she looks down to her girlfriend. “Can I at least cuddle with you in there?” 

 

“What? In here? In my coffin?” Karina peeks through one eye while keeping the other shut.

 

“Yes?” 

 

The vampire shakes her head with a light chuckle, “Coffins are for dead people, darling.”

 

“Well, you know what else is for dead people?” Winter now has her arms crossed.

 

“No–”

 

“Cuddles!” 

 

“I don't think so.”

 

“I so think so!” Winter counters stupidly. 

 

Karina stares at her blankly, “That's grammatically incorrect.”

 

“English has no rules!”

 

“English has plenty of rules.” the vampire corrects.

 

Winter stares at Karina for a moment, pouting as she rests a hand on her shoulder. “But I just wanna sleep next to you,”

 

Karina's eyes flutter open, gaze suddenly softening as she takes in her girlfriend's face. Who can say no to that? “You really do?”

 

“Of course, I do!” the human affirms excitedly.

 

“Even if I float sometimes?”

 

“You float in your sleep!?” Winter almost shrieks.

 

“Why do you think I sleep in a coffin?”

 

“To look cute? I don't know?” Winter casually shrugs her shoulders, appearing lost in contemplation before suddenly lighting up in excitement. “Wait, can you actually float?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Does that mean you can fly?”

 

“No, I can not fly.” Karina clears up. “My body just does it sometimes when I'm asleep.”

 

“Can you explain it in physics?”

 

“Can you?”

 

Being naturally competitive, Winter ponders over it, seriously contemplating whether her brain is capable of such a thing or not because there's no harm in trying, right? But then, upon realizing that—well, she probably can't, she automatically abandons the idea.

 

“Touché.” She resorts to that.

 

The vampire stays silent, allowing her girlfriend to absorb all the information at once, and then a soft smile creeps onto her face as she hears Winter's voice in less than a minute.

 

“So it's like… magic then?”

 

“I guess you can say that.” Karina answers vaguely. She probably doesn't know herself, Winter thinks so.

 

“Wow…” Winter mumbles, her brain running 900 miles per hour as she thinks of all the endless possibilities that just arise in her face after discovering her girlfriend's ability. She's like a… hot air balloon. And honest

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter