under her umbrella

dumb her way out: the series
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Is the umbrella really necessary?” Winter finally finds it within herself to ask. She's been eyeing it cautiously for quite some time now.

 

Karina's gaze remains straight against her sunglasses, her expression hard and unmoving. 

 

“Yes.” 

 

Winter laughs hysterically, one that's too loud to be real. “Babe, it's broad daylight.”

 

“Exactly.” the vampire retorts.

 

Had it been any other “ordinary” day where they usually lounged around inside Karina's (dark, old, and squeaky) mansion, indulging in whatever entertainment they could find to pass the time, Winter would have brushed it off. 

 

But it's not.

 

Today is one of those “extraordinary” (it's not) days when Winter successfully persuaded her vampire girlfriend to leave her house and join her silly human activities and do her silly human walks to keep her silly human body healthy so she can do her silly human tasks.

 

“But look!” Winter stops walking, Karina does too, “You even have your purity ring on!”

 

The vampire then turns, hitting her poor human girlfriend's forehead with her big brutally barbaric black umbrella. 

 

“It's not a purity ring, it's a day–”

 

“–light amulet, I know, I know.” Winter finishes for her, bringing her hands up to accept defeat. “But do you really need an umbrella for that? Especially when you—”

 

Winter falls silent, her words lingering in the air as she takes in her girlfriend's outfit. She's wearing a black long-sleeve dress matched with long black socks that probably covered the entirety of her already long body, and long black boots.

 

She looks like a void in a sea of rainbows.

 

(In a good way. Winter thinks her girlfriend is attractive all the time, thank you very much.)

 

“When what?” Karina asks.

 

“You look like the embodiment of a really depressing funeral.”

 

The vampire places a hand over her chest in appreciation. “Thank you, my love.”

 

The human of course softens at the affectionate tone, and so she decides to lose. If her vampire girlfriend wants to attach that damn umbrella on her head, then so be it! Whatever makes her happy. 

 

“You're welcome.” Winter sighs, scratching her chin.

 

Karina smiles and promptly takes Winter's hand, pulling her under the umbrella with her, and ignoring the judgemental glances from those bright, annoying, sun worshippers around them. Winter likes it a lot whenever she does that. 

 

Don't get her wrong, Winter considers herself a self-reliant (half) independent strong woman who can (maybe) handle just about anything that comes her way. However, there's just something so attractive and indescribable allure in being (kind of) claimed by a possessive vampire with a severe case of RBF.

 

Her best friend-slash-manager, Ningning, would say it's some sort of a kink, but she honestly thinks it's just… okay, it's most definitely a kink, but not in a weird way! She just likes the thought of Karina being so obsessed with her. It makes her feel all fun and bouncy and yellow and bright.

 

“We're going to an ice cream parlor though, so…” I sincerely hope your umbrella is not as big as a tank when folded. Winter continues in her head.

 

She really doesn't want to offend a centuries old vampire with a huge umbrella.

 

“Don't worry about it, darling.” Karina tells Winter, giving her shoulder an assuring squeeze. 

 

Minutes after, Winter worries about it. 

 

Of course she does! Who wouldn't? Especially when her y vampire girlfriend is sitting unassumingly on a booth near the window, enjoying (allegedly) a Chocolate Chip Ice Cream while her umbrella that's bigger than Winter's apartment is still very much open, shielding them from the sun rays reflecting against the glass.

 

“Do you really have to put that umbrella up here?”

 

“Yes.” Karina answers as she eats her ice cream with a spoon and releases it with smug pop. “Does it bother you?”

 

Winter's eyebrows shoot upwards, crossing her arms as she leans her back against her chair. “No…”

 

“I see–” 

 

“But look–that guy over there, the one wearing an overalls. He's been looking at us crazy for like, ten minutes now–which is more than half the time we've been sharing this cup.” Winter points at the guy a few meters away, and it's not like she minds it–she really doesn't, but it's still weird especially when he's wearing… That! “He's judging us. In overalls. Can you believe that? In overalls! Of all things he can wear, he decided to wear an over–”

 

“I will kill him.” the vampire said with so much conviction and determination in her eyes.

 

Winter then stops mid rant, eyes widening

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter