Final

Midnight to Three

‘Hello there, my name is Myungsoo,’ the boy smiled.

 

You stood there in disbelief, still clinging to your flimsy bag. You hadn’t expected anyone to be on the train – much less a cute twenty-year old boy. You tilted your head slightly, watching him smile back at you knowingly. You started to clutch onto your belongings even tighter, afraid that he would advance towards you.

 

The boy who had introduced himself laughed, shifting over a space to allow you to sit. ‘I’m not some kind of gangster, if that’s what you’re wondering. I appreciate your creativity though.’

 

This boy was extremely suspicious. You stared into his chocolate brown eyes, seeing a hint of amusement. Every part of your body would usually scream ‘suspicious,’ and you’d probably have backed out of the carriage, provided it’d been a normal situation. You could feel your rebellious anger from your last argument with your parents. The urge to do something different seemed to grasp you. Why not take it for a ride?

 

You sat next to him, still clinging to your backpack.

 

‘That’s nice, isn’t it? See, not so bad. I’m not that terrifying, and, if I do say so myself, I’m quite a charmer,’ Myungsoo smiled. There was something different about his speech. Not only did he word things differently, he also seemed to have a slight accent. You couldn’t match it with anything though. Shrugging to yourself, you nodded slightly as he tilted his head.

 

‘Now, what brings you to a train so late at night?’

 

You clutched your bag closer, feeling the warm, furry exterior. ‘You tell me first,’ you reasoned.

 

‘I hardly believe that’s fair.’

 

‘And why is that?’

 

With a long, slender finger, he tapped your nose. ‘I still don’t know your name.’

 

You looked down, feeling slightly embarrassed. You wondered what he thought of you. ‘I’m _____.’

 

‘Well, _____, nice to meet you,’ He smiled, ‘now, what are you doing on a train like this in the middle of the night? Girls don’t tend to get on. In fact, no one is usually on this train.’

 

You looked at him with a frown, ‘How would you know?’

 

Myungsoo threw his head back as he laughed, ‘I’m always on here.’ He looked towards you, ‘So why don’t you stop hiding behind your bag and tell me how someone like you got on a train like this?’

 

You didn’t see the point in arguing. Plus, you’d never see them again, so why bother hide? You probably wouldn’t see this stranger again anyways.

 

‘I had a fight with my parents,’ you said softly.

 

‘That’s nice,’ He hummed, ‘Any more information?’

 

Screw it. You had time. ‘They never let me go out. They never let me leave the house. They’re always so protective,’ the words started to come out faster as you felt them lace themselves into sentences. You placed your thoughts into words. It felt so easy. ‘They always say I’m irresponsible, but they never let me prove that I am. They always say I’m not good enough. They’re always trying to restrain me. I have no friends because everyone knows I can’t go out alone. It’s so embarrassing. It’s so annoying. I feel so frustrated – I need my freedom; I’m not some sort of pet.’

 

Myungsoo looked at you thoughtfully, his finger slowly curling around your hair. You blushed slightly, but his surprisingly warm touch didn’t faze you as much as you thought it would. The Goosebumps you felt from such an intimate touch were soon overridden with the warm, comforting feel.

 

‘You’re being silly,’ He said softly, ‘you should go back home.’

 

You shook your head, resisting the urge to scream. No one understood you. No one could understand what you felt. No one. Absolutely no one. You wanted to pull free, but he was so warm, so soft, so comforting, that you couldn’t seem to leave.

 

‘I’m not,’ You replied, ‘I’m being logical.’

 

‘To who, may I ask? Yourself?’

 

‘Yes,’ you said defensively, ‘and what’s wrong with that?’

 

He smiled almost bitterly, speaking smoothly, ‘Where do you intend to go?’

 

‘Away,’ you said, ‘Where ever this thing leads me.’

 

‘So you’re running away from home?’

 

‘Yes,’ you spoke with force, ‘What’s wrong with that?’

 

‘Oh nothing,’ he smiled, ‘but I don’t think you’ll get very far.’

 

‘And why’s that?’

 

He opened his mouth, revealing a set of sharp, shining teeth.

 

‘Next stop is coming up in three minutes,’ a robotic voice said, distracting you and Myungsoo. You quickly gathered your things and ran. A station master, ironically, was in the next carriage.

 

‘Help,’ you breathed, panting.

 

He studied you with a confused face.

 

‘Little Miss, aren’t you too young to be going on a train by yourself? Especially at this time – your parents should know better.’

 

You ignored him completely, ‘Help me…there’s a guy…Myungsoo I think he’s called, he was going to attack me.’

 

He frowned, ‘I’m pretty sure you’re the only person on the train Miss.’

 

‘No, there’s another person,’ you said determinedly. He followed you warily as you headed up the steps.

 

There was no one there.

 

‘I swear, I,’ you began.

 

The man cut you off. ‘Miss, I think you need to head home. It’s way too late – you must be hallucinating.’ He checked each carriage, looking for passengers.

 

‘We can take you back, come with me,’ He said, walking towards the front most carriage. You followed warily, swearing you had seen Myungsoo. The train turned back, and before you knew it, you were back.

 

 

You hadn’t been surprised when you were grounded. You didn’t even listen as your parents ranted on. You went up the stairs, closed the door, and sighed. That boy, he was there, you were sure of it. You didn’t hallucinate. You could stay up to three in the morning finishing English essays you should have started on last month. You could work through the whole night on extension maths homework which was due the next day. Simply put, you didn’t imagine things when it was late. In fact, you did most of your dreaming at school.

 

Tossing your backpack to your bed, you looked at yourself in the mirror. You looked normal – a bit shocked and dirty, but nothing too big. You smiled at your reflection.

 

It did not smile back.

 

You frowned, watching the unwavering expression of your reflection. A shiver of Goosebumps prickled along your arms as you watched your lifeless clone. A horrible feeling of dread came across you as the figure seemed to change. More and more, it was starting to morph into another.

 

Myungsoo.

 

You hadn’t been hallucinating, but now that you thought about it, it would’ve been better to have been dreaming.

 

He smiled gently, his hand breaking through the mirror as he your face. You froze, unsure of what was wrong with you. You couldn’t move and felt the warmth of his hand reassure all of your body. Instantly, it relaxed. Your mind, in full panic, however, did not feel the effects. It panicked and screamed as your body remained perfectly submissive.

 

‘Hello beautiful,’ He smiled, breaking the glass as he stepped flawlessly through. The shatters of glass caused your mind to shriek, yet your body still remained there. You opened your mouth, but nothing would come out.

 

Another figure stepped out. It looked like you. Your reflection. You wanted to shriek, but your body didn’t listen. It smirked, standing next to Myungsoo.

 

A blood curling scream filled your lungs, yet not a sound could be heard. It was as silent as any 3am morning would be.

 

(A/N: Please comment and tell me how this was! Criticism and comments greatly appreicated!)