There She Goes

There She Goes

Listen to the song here: There She Goes - Sixpence None The Richer

___________________________________

 

There she goes... again

 

Mavie locked her gaze towards the girl sitting by the window with her guitar, humming a familiar tune. 

 

It has been six days since Mavie started patronizing her bestfriend's cafe. She is not an avid coffee drinker and Ally, the cafe's owner, is also questioning her sudden shift of behavior. 

 

"You're here again? Gosh, Mavie, you haven't even ordered anything for days!" Ally whined while preparing a cup of cappucino for a regular customer. 

 

Mavie stood across the cashier counter, simply beaming at her friend, "Is that for the guitar girl?" 

 

Ally stopped halfway through what she's doing. A thought popping in thin air. She might have found the answer to her question.

 

"Tell me, Mav. Are you here for Chase?" 

 

The girl's question brought a faint blush on Mavie's cheeks. She wants to deny it but how can she lie in front of her best friend whe she cannot find any reasonable alibis to say?

 

The truth is she's been eyeing Chase since the time she went here to bring the painting Ally commissioned her to do. While hanging the painting onto the wall, Mavie noticed the girl with a black polygon eyeglasses, strumming a tune in her guitar, as if lost in the sound of her own world. 

 

There she goes...

 

From then on, Mavie's visits became more frequent.

 

On Tuesday, Mavie found out that the girl likes the color green. Her backpack, phone case, and even her hair tie comes in this shade. 

 

On Wednesday, the girl didn't come. Mavie thought, maybe she isn't a regular after all. Maybe, she was in the area for something urgent and went home to any place she must be. 

 

Mavie, although dejected, still came to the cafe on Thursday. There was no sight of the guitar girl when she entered. Ally was asking her why she's there, she answered another alibi trying to mask her total disappointment due to the girl's absence.

 

There she goes... 

again.

 

On Friday, a call from Abby woke Mavie up. She was asking her for help because a staff is on sick leave. Mavie cannot say no and so she went. Her morning was filled with small talks, coffee beans, and hot water. She isn't the best person for the job but she's evidently trying. Wiping her sweat away, the door opened and as cliche as it sounds, Mavie's world lit up once more. 

 

It never occurred to her that she will be facing Aphrodite's daughter in this lifetime. Her heart races like beats of a drum. The world slowed down. She cannot see anything or anyone but her.

 

If God is real then this is the greatest plan He ever wrote.

 

"Mavie, right?" The angel spoke. 

 

Good heavens, what must have I done in my past life to be this blessed? 

 

"Y-yes, I'm Mavie." 

 

The girl smiled softly, "Can I talk to Ally? There's something I'd like to suggest about the project we're making."

 

That conversation only lasted for a minute but Mavie decided there and then to come back the next day. Mavie is not the type to wait. She is headstrong. She initiates. She makes tomorrow nervous when she starts her game. But when it comes to this girl, she is willing to float with time. She becomes soft as the foam atop the girl's favorite cappucino. She is starting to wait until tomorrow, what's another day in the cafe if it meant seeing her again?

 

And so, Mavie took another cab to the cafe on a Saturday. She is sure that the girl will be there knowing that her and Ally is planning a project. But as much as the detail of this project interests her, Mavie finds the girl more interesting. 

 

Why is cappucino her favorite?

 

Why does she like the color green?

 

When did she learn how to play guitar?

 

Why isn't she on the cafe last Tuesday? 

 

All these questions but no chances for her to ask. To be honest, she is quite afraid. If Ally finds out about this, Mavie knows she'll be surprised that she isn't making a move from the start. Her usual headstrong persona just fell into the cliff but she is getting more comfortable that she isn't running after the ticking of clocks, because fate itself is playing the cupid now. 

 

Ally placed the cup of cappucino at the countertop. "Mavie, I think you should give this to Chase yourself." 

 

Mavie hesitated and declined her friend's suggestion. She is okay with this, looking at Chase from afar. She isn't wishing for more because the universe already gave her a big favor just by letting their paths cross, what more can she ask for? 

 

"Mavie, if you want something, you must go for it." Ally's words hit different to Mavie now. Although she learned how not to rush, she also realizes that tomorrows became a lot hopeful because of Chase. Waiting for time to pass isn't that bad if she is heading towards where Chase is. She took her time, now is the moment she takes her shot. 

 

"Hi. Here is your cup of cappucino. I'm sorry to keep you waiting."

 

"It's okay, no worries, Mavie. You are always worth the wait--I mean, the cappucino." 

 

Ally chuckled to herself from the cashier counter after hearing the two. The threads of time really got them after all.

 

Undoubtedly, the wait is really worthwhile.