A Memory

My Oppa

 

Then voices whispered things in her head. She recognized Niel’s and L.Joe’s, so she came to a conclusion that it was her guides who were speaking.

The funeral… His strongest… His promise… His strongest… Try it…

The voices spoke in broken sentences, but somehow Yunjae got it.

“The day our parents died, you came into my room. You probably though I was asleep already, but I heard everything that you said…”

--flashback—

Hyuk crept inside Yunjae’s room. Seeing as his little sister was wrapped in her blankets, he assumed her to be asleep. Hyukjae’s tears were still escaping his eyes as he knelt by her bedside. He held her hand and caressed her face with his other hand.

“Yunjae-yah, I don’t know how I’ll tell you once you wake up. Umma and appa are gone… They died because of the accident this morning, but even with them gone; always remember that I’ll never leave you. I promise.”

Yunjae had kept her eyes shut, but she heard everything her oppa said. But instead of crying because of the loss of their parents, Yunjae felt safer beside Hyukjae that night than any other day they spent together.

Before Hyukjae could let go, Yunjae lightly squeezed his hand. She didn’t know if he noticed, but Hyukjae did. He smiled and kissed his little sister on her forehead before whispering,

“Goodnight, Yunjae-yah…”

--end of flashback—

As Yunjae was narrating the memory they both shared deeply, Hyukjae felt something in him snap, and suddenly memories flooded his mind. Something shattered in his eyes and fell like broken scales down his cheeks.

“Jae?”

Yunjae looked up upon hearing the pet name Hyukjae coined for her.

“Oppa? You remember?” she squeaked excitedly.

“Jae!” Hyukjae extended his arms toward his sister to hug her, but then a strong force stopped him. He fought against it, but it was too strong. He tried to reach for Yunjae’s hand, but it only grew stronger.

“Yunjae-yah!” he yelled in a frustrated way. So near yet so far.

Yunjae reached out to grab her brother’s hand, but just as she touched his fingertips, a hurricane came barreling its way through the garden, tearing off everything in its path. To her horrow, it swept up Hyukjae and carried him off. She could only hear his yells growing fainter and fainter as the hurricane took him father into the horizon, then... gone.

“OPPA!!!!”