Between the Lines

Between the Lines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Between the Lines

By Sara Bareilles

 

“Hyung! We’re running late!”

 

“I’m almost done!”

 

I put on a last bit of accessory and take one last look at the mirror. A smile curled at the corners of my lips as I look at the ring I just put on.

 

A loud knock finally brings me back to reality. This maknae, always an impatient one. My maknae. It has a nice ring to it, doesn’t it? I get out of my room and there he is, twirling his car key on his index finger. I can’t help but smile. He is wearing the same ring with a chain around his neck.

 

“What took you so long?” he asks, frowning.

 

“Don’t act like you don’t know me. You know I always have to look good.”

 

“But you always look good,” he murmurs under his breath.

 

“Hhmm?”

 

“What?”

 

“Were you saying something?”

 

“Yes, I said let’s go. We’re late,” and he prances pass the door of my bedroom. I follow him after and loop my arm around his once I reached him in the hallway.

 

“You always look good too, Maknae.”

 

 

*****

 

 

He and I had been drinking at our friend’s party. He was giggling to no end, and I was just there watching, enchanted. He giggles when he’s drunk, he always does. At some point that night, we found ourselves cuddling on a couch.

 

“Hyung, I have a crazy idea.”

 

“Your ideas are always crazy, Maknae.”

 

“Touché, but I guarantee that you’ll love this one.”

 

“So, what is this crazy idea of yours?”

 

“I think we should get a couple ring.”

 

 

*****

 

 

“Hyung!” He shouts as he lunges himself forward, hugging me.

 

“Hey, buddy.”

 

I can feel his body relaxes against mine, and he sighs, “I missed you.”

 

“Don’t be dramatic. I’ve only been away for two weeks.”

 

He peels himself off me and looks at me with a pout. His ever charming pout. “Why do you always have to be so mean?”

 

I can’t hold a chuckle erupting from my chest. I reach my hand up to his face and caress his cheek. “I’m just kidding. I missed you too, Ri.”

 

“So, did you get anything for me from Paris?”

 

“Wow. You’re not even gonna ask me how I’ve been, are you?”

 

“Hyung, we talked on the phone almost every day,” he says as he walks in front of me. He stops just when he realizes that I’m not walking with him. I fake a frown when he looks at me, questioning.

 

“I was just joking. Are you coming home with me or not?”

 

I just smile and reach for his hand, walking alongside him.

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter