Final

Every Relationship Starts with Friendship

It’s December morning. You can smell happiness in the open air. The street is getting red with christmas vibes. It’s strange how some people feels nothing special about it. Just like Minho, who thinks December as another month to do his routine.

 

Minho is an early bird. He wakes up every morning and goes to the gym right away. He has million dollars body, which was once labeled as one of the best abs in Asia. Not to mention his perfect visual that makes every girl in the universe drool over him.

 

Today Minho has to practice for year end award show. He will perform a special stage with Yuri. Again, it’s just like last year and a year before that. Nothing special.

 

Life as an idol for him is not like how other people imagine. He can’t really say that he is living the happiest life. It’s actually quite lonely and fake. He has to fake a smile, an emotion, tell many lies. Despite feeling horrible, an idol has to show his most cheerful appearance. How cruel it is.

 

It’s about practice time. After shower and dress up in a casual look, he goes to the agency.

 

Yuri is in the practice room with her manager and a few other staffs. 

“Hi, Minho yah. Come and watch the demo.”

“Hi, noona. Where is Kasper hyung?”

“He is not coming. Didn’t he tell you?”

 

Minho checking his phone and finds a chat from Kasper.

“Minho yah, sorry I can’t come today. But I’ll send a friend of mine, probably younger than you. But he is a dance genius, so you can trust him. His name is Taemin.”

 

After putting away his phone, the said boy is finally coming. He sure looks very young, purple hair, simple dull tank top, bright smile.

 

“Hello. I’m Taemin. Nice to meet you.” 

“We have met before right?” Yuri welcomes Taemin with a handshake. Minho does the same.

“Yes, once in Kasper studio for SNSD project.” 

 

The three of them watch the demo Kasper sent together. It turns out that this is the first time Taemin watch the demo, just like Minho and Yuri. Knowing this, Minho doubts this Taemin guy can teach him and Yuri. But when Taemin starts dancing after only watching once, all Minho’s doubts just gone.

 

“Are you sure you didn’t know the dance from Kasper beforehand?” Minho has to confirm, because Taemin dances like he has been doing it for years already. He is too good. Taemin chuckles.

 

“I didn’t. But you can say, I’m used to Kasper hyung’s dance style.” 

 

They continue to practice. Yuri looks like she is really into dance and has a beautiful dance line. She memorize the dance in such a short time. Taemin compliments her and makes her blush a little. 

 

Because of her tight schedule, Yuri is in a rush to go to do a live broadcast, leaving Minho and Taemin practice together.

 

“Minho ssi.” Taemin monitoring Minho and Yuri dance video, they recorded a while ago.

“You can drop the honorifics.” Minho tells Taemin, joining him on the floor.

“Oh sure. Anyway hyung, I think you are good at dancing, but I feel like your soul, your heart is somewhere else. Os it just me?” 

“What do you mean?”

“Can you stand up please? Let me show you.” 

 

Taemin explaining how the song is about someone deeply in love. That’s why Minho should express it through the dance.

 

“So when you hold Yuri noona like this,” Taemin put Minho’s hand in his waist, and Taemin’s hand in Minho’s chest, “it’s better for you not to leave Yuri noona’s eyes while dancing.” They starts to dance with eyes glue to each other. “Can you stare at her, well at this time at me, like you are deeply in love with me?”

 

They are dancing the most intimate part of this performance, while Taemin giving advice here and there.

 

Minho is being very quite, only answer yes the whole time. 

 

“Owh this is great. That’s what I’m talking about.” 

Taemin pulls away from Minho’s embrace. “And to make it more fun, I think you can improvise with giving a kiss on Yuri noona’s cheek maybe?”

 

“Good idea. I’ll talk to Yuri noona later.” Minho can’t help but feel the lose of Taemin’s warmth.

 

“But hyung, are you not feeling well?”

 

“I’m fine. Why?” Minho asks.

“When we danced earlier, I could feel your heart beating like really fast. Is that normal?” Taemin gulps down his water.

 

Minho didn’t realize it, but when he touches his chest, it sure feels like it’s going to explode. 

 

He turns to see Taemin still drinking. Well, Minho can’t deny the boy is the cause of his racing heart. When they were only inches away, Minho was amazed by the boy’s beautiful feature, the sweats on his pale skin, and his kissable pink lips. Worst is his tank top, Minho is embarassed to admit that he just keeps trying to take a peek. He kind of liking the feeling of Taemin being in his arms too. 

 

“Maybe I’m just a little tired.” 

“Really? We can stop now then. The next time you practice, Kasper hyung will be here, so I guess this is our first and last practice together. I’ll make sure to watch the broadcast. Good luck, hyung.” Taemin smiles and goes to change his wet top. 

 

Instead of leaving first, Minho just waits for Taemin to come back from the changing room. 

 

“You are not going?” There Taemin already changed his tank top to a stripe t shirt, denim jacket, and a beanie. 

 

“I’m going to.” Is Minho observing the younger? Oh yes, he definitely is.

 

“I’ll go first then. Thanks for today, hyung.” Taemin checking his phone, replying a few chat, and put it in to his pocket.

 

“Mmm Tae, do you think I can see you around?” That’s a timid question.

 

“Why hyung? Do you want to?” Taemin smiles teasingly. 

 

“Of course I do. I mean you are an amazing dancer. Maybe we can work together in the future.” Minho sounds nervous all of sudden.

 

“Hopefully, yes.” Taemin already walking to the door. “Bye, hyung. I’m going now.” Taemin finally leaves. 

 

Minho likes the lingering soft scent that Taemin left in the room. When his phone vibrates, Minho almost cursed for forgetting to ask Taemin’s number.

 

“How was Taemin?” Kasper asks once he reunite with Minho in the practice room.

“Very talented.”

“Told you. And he is such a fine guy too. Really pretty.”

“Indeed.”

 

Kasper is surprised to hear that Minho is agree with him. Kasper is about to ask Minho, did he hear it right or what. But Minho leaves to take his water bottle.

 

It’s d-day, an hour before Minho’s turn to perform with Yuri. But he is alone in the stairs. There is always time like this. Time when he is panicking and suddenly doesn’t want to show up, hates the crowds. Leaning on the wall, Minho feels his hands trembling and his whole body sweating cold. 

 

“Minho?” There comes Taemin suddenly. “Are you ok?”

 

Taemin put the back of his hand on Minho’s forehead and hands. Taemin knows it is a panic attack. 

 

“Come here.” Taemin hugs him, trying to comfort him, who is still trembling. Taemin Minho’s back, “It’s ok, hyung. It’s ok.” 

 

Minho hugging Taemin really tight. They stay like that for a long time until Minho stops trembling.

 

Minho can’t believe he spends the last day of 2022 shaking in Taemin’s arms. He feels so pathetic. 

 

“I’m sorry you have to see me like this.” Minho whispers.

“Are you ok?” 

“Better.” Minho doesn’t let go.

 

Debuting since a very young age, Minho felt lost his childhood and experienced unimaginable stress. He didn’t have many friends, nor good memories unlike others his age. He was like a machine that lived only to work. Perhaps that painful memories made him sick and tired.

 

“Ready to perform?” Taemin asks in Minho’s ear.

“I have to.” Minho pulls away to see the most calming smile on Taemin’s face. Only now he takes a closer look that Taemin has smokey make up and stage outfit. Minho wants to ask, but doesn’t have enough time, since he is in a rush.

 

Minho and Yuri successfully wrap their performance with a loud cheers from the audiences. Many fans suspected them dating for a long time, which is not true. That’s why this performance teally hits different. Seems like everyone loved it.

 

After that Minho looks for Taemin everywhere. Minho is surprised to see Taemin performing on the stage as Kai’s dancer. After the broadcast ended, Minho also caught a very clear vision of Taemin and Kai leaving together. Kai’s hand hang around Taemin’s shoulder. Looks like they are close, whispering, laughing and all.

 

Many people probably celebrating new year with their loved ones. But Minho goes to bed right away after a short facetime with his parents who live abroad.

 

A few days later Minho bumps in to Kai in the company, yes they are under the same agency. He is itchy to ask about Taemin. 

 

“Jongin ah, are you close with Taemin?”

“Oh you know him? He is my best friend, hyung.” Kai is done with the meeting for his upcoming album.

“Really? I see.” Minho is hesitant to ask further, “Can I have his number?”

 

That question makes Kai stop typing on his phone. Kai looks up.

 

“What for?”

“Um well, maybe I can ask him to work on my next project.” Minho’s next project is ballad, which he doesn’t need to dance. Why is he lying to Kai?

 

“But Taeminnie is under Kasper, you can ask him instead. I’m sure you have Kasper’s phone number.” Minho doesn’t know, why does he feel that Kai is being protective over Taemin.

 

“I want to ask Taemin directly. Can I have his number, please?” Minho insists, a little annoyed.

“I don’t think Taemin has the authority to agree on something like that without Kasper’s permission.” It would be rude of him if he refuse to send Taemin’s number to Minho though. Minho is his sunbae. So he sends the number right away.

 

“I know. But I’ll just try first. Thanks Jongin ah.” 

 

Minho wants to start a conversation with Taemin. But he still contemplates a lot whether to chat or call him. Is there any difference? Yes, there is. Listening to Taemin’s voice might heal him or break him. But a short chat shouldn’t cause anything big.

 

“Hi, Taeminah. It’s Minho. I just want to thank you for what you did the other day. Do you have time for a cup of coffee?” Sent.

 

Hours since he sent the chat, but still no respond. Minho is disappointed. 

 

The next day he goes to the company, he finds Taemin in the practice room with Kai. He is hesitant but decides to go in to the room.

 

“Oh hi, Minho hyung.” Kai greets him first. Taemin bows to him with a heavenly smile. “What brings you here?” Kai walks to Minho. Taemin continues to practice with three other dancers.

 

“Just wanna say hi.” Minho’s eyes still on Taemin’s reflection in the mirror.

 

The boy is dancing powerfully yet beautifully. He is so fluid like water. They are dancing in a group, but Taemin stands out so much.

 

Kai follows Minho’s eyes. “Minho hyung?” Minho seems too focused on Taemin, he doesn’t even hear Kai talking. “Hyung? Hello.” Kai waves his hand right in front of Minho’s face.

 

“Ah right. What is it Kai?”

“I’m asking if you need to use the practice room.”

“I’m waiting for someone, you don’t have to worry about me.”

“We are almost done, hyung. Maybe in five minutes, after one more practice to the whole song.”

“I’ll just watch then.”

 

Kai doesn’t ask, who is Minho waiting for. But he kind of knows already.

 

“Ok guys, that’s all for today. Good job everyone.” They clean their stuffs and leave after changing their clothes.

 

Kai is in the corner of the room, waiting for his best friend. When Taemin comes out, Minho walks to him first, followed by Kai.

 

“Taeminah, do you have a second?” Minho gives him a bottle of water.

“Oh thanks, hyung. Do you need anything?” Taemin is sure thirsty.

“I sent you a chat, by the way.”

You did? Sorry I always forget to read texts.”

“Oh well, I asked you if you want coffee or something. I just want to thank you for what you did.“

 

Kai stands next to Taemin, “are you coming with me, Tae?”

“I’ll pass today. I have something to do.” Taemin looks at Minho.

“Fine. I’ll call you later, ok?” Kai takes a glance at Minho  before saying bye and leaving.

 

“Don’t you need a cap, hyung?” Taemin is worried, people might recognize Minho, when they enter nearby cafe.

“Nobody will recognize me without make up. Don’t worry.” 

 

Taemin laughs to the temarks, doesn’t trust him, because you can’t hide the handsome face and tall figure. Only minutes later Taemin can feel people around them whispering to each other, obviously talking about Minho.

 

In only ten minutes Taemin already helps two group of girls taking picture with Minho. Taemin doesn’t mind though.

 

“Guess I should have wore a cap and a mask. Sorry about this.” Minho apologizes, afraid he made Taemin uncomfortable.

“It’s ok, hyung.” 

 

Tarmin starts to dig in his food. 

“Mmm it’s good. Try this skewer hyung.” Taemin pushes his plate to Minho’s side. 

“Yeah, it’s good.” Minho agrees.

 

Taemin orders mineral water, instead of coffee.

“Because I have this,” Taemin pulls out something from his bag. 

“Banana milk?” Taemin laughs to see Minho’s reaction.

 

Minho is surprised but finds Taemin cute and endearing. Minho is not really good with small talk, he remembers his purpose.

 

“Just like I said, thanks for comforting me the other day, Tae.” 

“Don’t mention it, hyung. I think it’s totally normal to feel that way. I used to cry and wanted to runaway too, because I felt I wasn’t good enough.” Taemin explains.

“Really?”

“Yes. Important for you to share your worry to someone like a friend. In my case, it’s Kai. We tell each other almost everything.”

“I see. That sounds cool. But I don’t have someone like that.”

 

Taemin looks up from his food, “Really? That’s not good. Then I’ll be your friend. You can call me anytime. Just dont text me. I don’t read them.” Taemin laughs.

 

Taemin is such a kind soul, a ball of happiness, a beautiful angel. Just like that Minho get the most precious friend in his life. If his heart wants something more, he will keep that for himself. 

***

 

Minho doesn’t know when did he start calling Taemin every night. Taemin answers all the times, except when he is busy with work or he is already sleeping. 

 

One night Taemin tells Minho about his upcoming project with Rain excitedly. He has been a loyal fan of Rain for years. 

“That’s great, Taeminah.”

 

Minho called first only to hear Taemin’s voice. Once Taemin stops talking, Minho knows the person in the other line fell asleep already. 

 

Other night Taemin visits Minho in his waiting room. Minho is having a showcase for his new album. When Taemin enters the room, Minho gathers Taemin in his arm, burying his nose in Taemin’s neck.

 

“What’s wrong, hyung?”

“I don’t want to do this. I want to run away.”

 

It’s coming back, the anxiety. Taemin is worried but still trying to calm the taller down. 

 

“What can I do for you?” Taemin pulls away, looks at Minho’s eyes. Even in this state, Minho remain speechless by the younger’s beauty.

“Please just do this for me.”

 

Minho leans closer to Taemin’s face, attacking Taemin’s delicious lips slowly. One hand cupping Taemin’s chin when he nibble the lower lips gently. Other hand pulls Taemin’s waist impossibly closer. Taemin automatically put his hands around Minho’s neck, kissing him back just as desperate. 

 

Both pull away breathless. “So beautiful.” Minho whispers, giving another peck on the red lips of Taemin. 

 

Weeks later Taemin helps Minho with his dance practice. They lay down on the floor after two hours of tiring dance. Minho loves to see the hardworking side of Taemin. The sight of Taemin trying to catch his breath, distracting Minho so much. 

 

Minho pins Taemin to the floor. Both wet from sweats, but Taemin still tastes sweet, like banana milk. Someone might come anytime, Taemin push Minho a little.

 

“What?”

“Someone might come.”

“I don’t care.” Minho chuckles before claiming the lips once again.

 

It’s during lunch when Taemin suddenly say, “can’t believe you kissed me twice without even confessing.”

 

Minho coughs on his drink, feeling awkward. “Seriously?” 

“You can’t just kiss your friend whenever you want.”

“Well, wanna date then?”

“Sounds good to me.”