First Session

butterflies (you make my sugar high)

It was just like any other day for Isla.

She’d wake up in the morning, hit the gym, eat breakfast, then go to the office.

She’d meet her patients, check if there’s progress, do some consultation, see if they are fit to work– she has to make sure na okay ang mental health ng air force nila or else.

 

She felt her phone vibrate kaya naman binuksan niya muna ang message ng kanyang friends. Wala pa naman ang next patient niya.

 

 

Lovers + 2 Children

Gia: where are we celebrating rui's birthday?

Isla: Rui's birthday?

Isla: I thought you already had your birthday, @Rui

Rui: 🙄

Rui: technically, tama ka naman

Yeji: wdym, girl? like???

Gia: what?

Rui: i did have my birthday

Rui: last year

Isla: F y, Rui.

Yeji: it's this friday.

Gia: sooo, are we going to the fourth or what?

Yeji: i don't think she knows what she wants to do?

Gia: that's why i didn't ask her.

Isla: Omg, sis. Burn.

Rui: stfu island. how are you even replying rn. i thought you're at work and you don't like using phones when you're working?

Isla: Patient is late.

Isla: Nevermind, I think they're here. Ttyl.

 

 

 Isla heard footsteps and whispers outside the door and that's how she knows her 11 am should be in front of her door by now.
It's just that she didn’t expect it when

 

“Good afternoon, ma’am. Captain Kim repo–,” the smaller woman paused after seeing her.

Who wouldn’t? She ghosted Isla in La Union last month. “Sorry,” she cleared and composed herself. “Captain Kim, I’m here to get a clearance.”

 

Isla malfunctioned for a bit. It took her a few seconds to recover from what entity just appeared before her.

 

The smaller woman’s head tilted in confusion. “May I take a seat?” She asked.

 

Isla’s eyebrow raised. “What if I say no?” She couldn’t help but say the things that she was supposed to keep inside her pretty head.

 

Kim has shown her tons of emotions in just a few minutes that they’ve been together.

It’s pretty funny for Isla if she’s being honest. The confusion on the smaller’s face was something.

 

“Okay?”

 

There comes the uncomfortable and awkward silence.

 

“You don’t take jokes?” Isla asked, getting tired of their situation. “You may take a seat, captain.” She gestured her hand to the couch in front of her.

 

The smaller one follows and sits in front of her. “Thanks,” she says.

 

Isla, done with the jokes, finally looked straight at the captain. “Where have you been?” Really, Isla? That’s your first question? Even she wanted to smack her head after that.

 

The captain chuckled but she saw how the psychiatrist’s face darkened so she went back to her stoic face.

 

“I just came back from Florida, ma’am. I was deployed for training.” The captain leaned back against the couch and crossed her legs, getting comfortable. “But last time, I was called for a different reason, confidential. Totally work-related and I didn’t mean to gh–,” she was cut off by Isla.

 

“And how are you feeling today, captain?”

 

“Great, excited to go on vacation. Maybe we can go on that dinner date when you’re fr–.”

 

“I think some virus got to you back in Florida, I’ll suggest you get a physical check-up after this.” Isla opened her iPad to check on her patient’s file; which she should’ve done before their meeting. 

 

“I’m physically fine though? What about tonight?” Isla is unsure if the captain is just oblivious or plain stupid at this point.

 

Isla, she obviously didn’t try to look for the captain’s whereabouts on their supposed date night– nakalagay lang talaga sa file since it was recent oh, she was actually sent to some retrieval operation. “You mentioned that you just returned from training, was it mentally draining? Do you want to talk about it?”

 

“Sure, over dinner? Tonight?” The captain asks with her stupid gummy smile.

 

Gusto nalang siguro magpalamon ni Isla sa lupa. For a psychiatrist, she cannot handle the stress this situation is giving her. This is worse than being in the mental hospital, she thinks.

 

“You know what captain? I give up, you’re cleared to go on vacation. You may leave now,” is all that Isla could say.

 

And parang may selective hearing ang kapitan. “ Alright. I'll see you tonight, I’ll pick you up after work!” She states which makes Isla want to cry for help. "You get off at 6 pm, right?"

 

Isla doesn't know how this tiny thing knew what ti--, "I saw the 10 am - 6 pm schedule in front, if you're wondering." The captain explains before standing up from her seat. "You look gorgeous today, too. That white coat suits you," she adds, showing her charming smile to the doctor.

 

Isla shook her head in disbelief, she thought it's a waste of energy to argue with the captain at this point.

"Be on time or else," she threatens.

 

The captain stifled a laugh. "I will be, this time." She walks closer towards the doctor and gives her a peck on the cheeks.

"See you!"

 

 

That stupid tiny dumpling. Isla thought.

She touched her ears and there she knew, it's not good.

This is not good.