🟡 8 Letters, 3 Words, 105, 210 Hours 🔵

Sea of Radishes
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

I love you. The three words composed of eight letters that Ahn Hyejin wanted to tell Kim Yongsun.

 

105, 210 hours. That was the gap between Hyejin and Yongsun. If only they weren't so far apart in age... 

 

“Ahn Hyejin, concentrate.” 

 

Hyejin snapped out of her thoughts when Yongsun spoke out of the blue. 

 

Silence enveloped the office. 

 

Hyejin looked at Yongsun but she did not even lift her head. She sighed. The usual Yongsun, colder than ice and as apathetic as can be. She wished she could turn that frown upside down. 

 

Yongsun continued going through paperwork on her desk. She was well aware that she was having Hyejin stand in front of her desk without doing anything. She knew that she could let the girl sit down but she didn't want to. 

 

“Yongsun unnie...” 

 

“That's Ms. Kim for you,” Yongsun corrected Hyejin. She stopped what she was doing and checked the time on her watch. “It's 11:57. You have exactly three minutes to get to the elevator and twenty seven minutes to get lunch.” 

 

Hyejin's eyes widened. Whatever happened to the five minutes instead of three? She then remembered that it was Monday. 

 

Mondays always had something that stirred Yongsun's attitude. Something that made her grouchier and grumpier than she already was. 

 

Before Yongsun could say anything more, Hyejin decided to go down to the office cafeteria. She was hungry and her stomach was grumbling. 

 

Now in the cafeteria, Hyejin sat down on her usual seat. She placed the tray filled with her food down on the table. She was about to take a bite when the ever-so-playful Moon Byul-i sat beside her. 

 

“ 'Sup, Hyejin-ah? You’re frowning over food,” Moon Byul pointed out. She grinned, her nose wrinkling and her eyes shrinking. 

 

“Moon Byul unnie, I wouldn't be frowning if you weren't so annoying. Why are you disturbing me again? Can't you please let me enjoy my meal in peace?” Hyejin turned to Moon Byul with a sharp glare. She looked at her food and brought some to . 

 

“Woah! Calm down, lion,” Moon Byul uttered. She sensed hostility in Hyejin's voice. She was quick to guess what the reason was behind her irritation. “She snobbed on you again, didn't she?” 

 

Hyejin stopped chewing for a moment. She didn't move. She didn't say anything and only stared at space. 

 

Hit the nail on the head. Moon Byul smirked. It was always a bliss to get things right. 

 

“I mean, it's not your fault, you know? Yongsun's always been like that. You've worked for her for a whole year and she doesn't seem to be warming up to you,” Moon Byul pointed out. She felt sorry for Hyejin as she was also curious. “Why are you still working here, anyway? You must have the patience of a saint to be her secretary.” 

 

“Yongsun unnie wasn't always like this.. She used to be a warm person..” Hyejin admitted. When her parents told her that Yongsun needed a secretary, she didn't hesitate to accept the job. 

 

Hyejin's parents were friends and business partners with Yongsun's parents. It was one of the circumstances that helped her get the job. She had thought that it was a good idea to get closer to the woman she had always admired. But it turned out that the public and the media were right. Especially when they claimed that Yongsun was a merciless, heartless businesswoman. 

 

“My father always said that one should not sigh in front of food,” Moonbyul uttered. “Besides, you still haven't answered my question.” She turned to Hyejin and faced her with a raised brow. 

 

“It's for the experience. My parents want me to learn how to be independent and work for myself.” 

 

“Interesting. You do know, right? It's a fact that people stay for something so unbearable only for love.”

 

“You're insinuating that I love Yongsun unnie..?” 

 

“I'm not insinuating. I'm stating.” 

 

“How are you so sure, unnie?” 

 

“Well, you're rich. It's not the money you're after. I would even believe the experience thing a bit. Plus, you have your friends, and yet you don't have a boyfriend.. Or girlfriend.” Moon Byul gave Hyejin a stark stare. 

 

“Those are basic facts about me. Anyone close to me would know those things,” Hyejin retorted. She took another bite of her food and swallowed. 

 

“That is my point,” Moon Byul replied. 

 

Hyejin pursed her lips. She glanced at Moon Byul for a moment, and shied away when she saw her smiling and wriggling her eyebrows. 

 

“Unnie, no matter what happens, please keep your mouth shut.” 

 

Hyejin stood up and left with her head down. She could sense Moon Byul's eyes following her but she didn't turn her head to look back. She returned to Yongsun's office, taking slow steps and deep breaths as she did.

 

Yongsun glanced up at Hyejin. She let go of her pen and grabbed a good pile of paperwork. She placed the papers before her and ordered, “These proposals aren't organized. Arrange them according to proponents. Alphabetical. You have twenty minutes.” 

 

Hyejin's breath faltered. She gulped and nodded her head. She took the papers and sat on a nearby couch that was a few feet away from Yongsun. 

 

Going through the printed materials was not an easy job. All the paragraphs and words in black made Hyejin dizzy. She shook her head and sharpened her eyes while she scanned through the rest of the proposals. She had twenty minutes to do this, or else who knows how Yongsun would punish her. 

 

Yongsun observed her secretary with a cautious gaze. She grabbed her pen and took a notepad from her drawer. She examined Hyejin once more before turning her attention to her work. 

 

After several minutes had passed, Hyejin had gone through all the documents and finished arranging them. Just as Yongsun asked her, she had everything in alphabetical order. She stood up and carried the papers to Yongsun's desk. 

 

The weight of the stack had made Hyejin's legs numb. She frowned as she placed everything before Yongsun. 

 

Yongsun closed her notepad and returned it to her drawer. She crossed her legs and checked the time. Nineteen minutes. Close call. 

 

“When is my next appointment?” Yongsun asked Hyejin, her voice as flat as ever. 

 

Hyejin looked at her phone and answered. “This afternoon, at 2 pm. You'll be meeting Mr. Kim at a restaurant downtown.” 

 

“Which Mr. Kim?” 

 

Hyejin's forehead creased. How could Yongsun not know this? “Your father.” 

 

Yongsun pinched her nose bridge. How could she have forgotten? She uttered a sigh and checked the date on her phone. June 19th. She eyed Hyejin and said, “Be ready by 1:30. Act natural in front of him. Talk as you will” 

 

“Yes, Ms. Kim,” Hyejin replied. 

 

By 1:30, Hyejin was prepared. She had redone her makeup earlier. She fixed her collar while she was in the elevator with Yongsun. 

 

Why was it always so quiet whenever it was only the two of them? Hyejin wanted to do something to break the silence. She opened to say a word but she ended up clearing instead. 

 

Yongsun tried to keep her sight ahead of her. But she couldn't stop herself from stealing quick glances when Hyejin wasn't looking at her. Right now, she could see Hyejin with her peripheral vision. She could feel the tense atmosphere, but she chose to ignore it. 

 

The elevator finally reached the parking lot. The two got out, with Yongsun walking ahead of Hyejin.

 

Yongsun opened the passenger's door before getting in the driver's seat. 

 

Hyejin entered the car and sat behind Yongsun. 

 

“Move to your right so I can see you,” Yongsun spoke. She started the car as soon as Hyejin had moved. 

 

Hyejin was surprised about Yongsun's actions. Why did she seem to care all of a sudden? While she did always open the door for her, she had never been concerned whether she could see her. 

 

Yongsun glanced at Hyejin with sharp eyes. 

 

Hyejin gulped. She realized. Yongsun could intimidate her with her gaze if she was within her view. 

 

Returning her eyes to the road, Yongsun drove faster. 

 

The traffic that afternoon was manageable. Without too many delays, Yongsun parked her car in front of the restaurant. She got out, opened the door for Hyejin and walked inside the restaurant. 

 

Hyejin hurried to follow after Yongsun. She scanned the place when she was inside. She walked behind Yongsun who confirmed their reservation. 

 

Two familiar faces stood out from the crowd. Hyejin smiled upon recognizing these two people. 

 

Mr. Kim stood up with a bright smile and greeted his daughter. His wife, which sat next to him, also stood up to embrace Yongsun. “I've missed you, Yongsun.” 

 

“It's good to see you, mom, dad,” Yongsun uttered with a curt smile. She let go of her mother who gestured at Hyejin to come closer. 

 

Hyejin wasn't shocked when both of Yongsun's parents hugged her. “Hello, uncle and aunty,” she greeted. 

 

Yongsun's mother examined Hyejin. “You get prettier every time I see you, Hyejin-ah,” she complimented her. 

 

Blood rose up to Hyejin's face hearing those words. She responded with an awkward laugh and said, “T-thank you, aunty.” 

 

“Why don't we sit down and eat?” suggested Mr. Kim. 

 

Yongsun nodded. All four of them sat down. Hyejin sat across Yongsun's mother and to the right of Yongsun. The latter sat opposite her father, to Hyejin's left. 

 

“So, Hyejin,” Mr. Kim spoke while he sliced his steak, “tell us what it's like in the company right now. How's Yongsun doing? I hope she's not giving you a hard time.” 

 

Yongsun turned to Hyejin with definitely the most insincere smile she could put up. Her eyes narrowed in a way that terrified Hyejin a little. 

 

“O-oh, it's alright,” Hyejin smiled despite shaky lips. “Yongsun unnie is kind to me, uncle,” she continued, fighting the urge to put great emphasis on the word 'kind'. 

 

“That's very great. I hope you aren't slacking off, Yong,” Yongsun's mom eyed her daughter. 

 

“I'm not slacking off, mom. Hyejin can attest to that,” Yongsun answered. She picked up a dining knife and sliced the steak in front of her. 

 

“It's true, aunty,” Hyejin confirmed. At the very least, Yongsun said the one thing that was true. Her hands rested on her lap and her eyes wandered everywhere but in Yongsun's direction. 

 

“Hyejin, you're not eating,” Mr. Kim pointed out. “Have some food.” 

 

Hyejin was going to refuse but Yongsun's gesture made her reconsider things. 

 

Yongsun took Hyejin's hand from under the table. She held it and brought it up, signaling her to pick up a utensil and eat. 

 

Hyejin nodded her head and ate from the plate in front of her. She kept her head down, for her face was still red from the skin contact with Yongsun. 

 

“Any plans to get married yet, Yongsun?” 

 

Mr. Kim asked the question that his daughter disliked the most. 

 

“Dad, we've talked about that..” Yongsun responded. She glanced at Hyejin before meeting her father's curious gaze with a frown. 

 

“I know, I know. Still, you have to settle down eventually. You're already thirty-two. At least you can introduce someone. When was the last time you brought someone to meet us?” Mr. Kim asked while he kept his eyes on Yongsun. 

 

Hyejin stopped cutting her steak when she heard the question. It bothered her that she knew the answer. She glanced at her aunt and uncle. 

 

Yongsun's mom elbowed her husband's side. She gave him a glare, telling him to not discuss this in front of Hyejin. 

 

Mr. Kim understood the silent message. He dropped the topic and turned to Hyejin instead. “Anyway, Hyejin. How are your parents?” 

 

“They're doing great,” Hyejin answered with a bright tone. She looked down on her plate but was shocked to see that it wasn't there anymore. Much to her surprise, Yongsun had taken her plate and cut her steak for her. 

 

“Mom, when are you planning to go to America again?” Yongsun asked, diverting the attention away from her and Hyejin. As much as possible, she did not want things to be awkward. She returned Hyejin's plate and waited for an answer. 

 

“We're returning next month,” Yongsun's mother replied. She raised a brow when she noticed her daughter holding Hyejin's hand. “I'm happy that you two are close again.” Her remark alerted Yongsun, leading her to let go. 

 

Hyejin's heart sank when Yongsun took back her hand. Of course, she would do anything except acknowledge that Hyejin was someone she knew. This made Hyejin frown and look away for a split second. 

 

“Speaking of which, we're leaving the house to you, Yongsun. We know you have your condo and all.. But we think it will be a good idea if you spend some of your time away from the city,” Mr. Kim told his daughter. 

 

“You want me to live away from work for more than a month? No way, dad,” Yongsun replied with a firm tone. 

 

Mr. Kim groaned. Like he had predicted, Yongsun remained true to her workaholic nature. “Yong, you need to have a life outside of your work.” 

 

Hyejin could not agree more. Before she worked as her secretary, Yongsun's habit was to drink plenty of coffee and work through the night. People in the office even called her 'vampire' for the reason that she didn't sleep until daylight broke. 

 

“Your father's right. And I have the feeling that without our presence here, you'll be back to your old habits again,” Yongsun's mother added. 

 

“What else am I supposed to do? Date someone? Tch,” Yongsun muttered underneath her breath. 

 

“Come on, now. Do this for yourself, Yongsun,” Mr. Kim encouraged her. 

 

Yongsun wanted to roll her eyes and refuse at once. But she couldn't. She had far too much respect for her parents. “Fine.. But this is the only time that I'll be doing this,” she responded. 

 

A wide smile painted on Mr. Kim's face. He then remarked, “I'm expecting a change when we come home.” 

 

“Yeah, yeah,” Yongsun could only play along. 

 

The afternoon went on with Yongsun's parents reminiscing the past. They talked about how Yongsun always wanted to be a cook when she was a child. They also shared her embarrassing moments and her weird habits. 

 

Every bit of information made Hyejin smile and chuckle. On the other hand, Yongsun kept her head low throughout the entire conversation out of embarrassment. 

 

The gathering ended when Yongsun excused herself and Hyejin to go back to the company. Yongsun hugged her parents goodbye before she went to her car. 

 

Hyejin was going to follow when Yongsun's mother called her. “Hyejin-ah, there's something that I want to tell you. Come.”

 

“Yes, aunty? What is it?” 

 

“I know my daughter won't be too eager to stick with the idea of living back home. Can you please keep an eye on her for us?” 

 

“Always am, aunty.” 

 

“I'm pleased to hear that. I am aware that things have changed between you two,” Yongsun's mother had an apologetic smile. 

 

Hyejin bit her lip and looked down. 

 

“Please do forgive Yongsun if she ever crosses the line. My daughter hasn't been the kindest after all the heartbreak she's been through. Please keep an open mind. She can be quite naive.” 

 

“How did you know, aunty?” Hyejin could swear that she didn't tell anyone anything about her and Yongsun's situation. 

 

“She's my daughter. I've seen her live and grow up to be the person that she is today. I could say the same about you, Hyejin-ah.” 

 

“I think she hates me, aunty..” Hyejin's sudden confession brought a smile on the lips of Yongsun's mother. 

 

“My Yongsun is quite good at hiding her heart behind cold shoulders. She won't show you her true emotions unless you earn her complete trust.” 

 

Hyejin swallowed. It would take years for Yongsun to even begin trusting her. She has the time, but does Yongsun have, as well? 

 

“There is also something else, Hyejin-ah,” Yongsun's mother came closer and whispered to Hyejin. 

 

Her eyes widened and she gasped. Hyejin couldn't believe it but she shut and nodded. She looked at her aunt, both with concern and hope. 

 

Yongsun sat in her car and waited for Hyejin. What was holding her? Minutes had passed and her patience was running out. 

 

Hyejin walked to the car after her conversation with her aunt. She kept her lips purses as she opened the door to the backseat. 

 

Seeing Hyejin at the back made Yongsun sigh with relief. She drove the car back to the company. 

 

Hours passed and daylight eased into darkness. Working hours were now over. But not for Yongsun, who chose to spend this evening to continue working. She dismissed the time and kept herself busy in her office. 

 

Hyejin stretched out after going through plenty of paperwork. Yongsun had asked her to organize files in alphabetical order again. She was going to leave when she realized that Yongsun had no plans to go home. She decided to go somewhere else for the moment. 

 

Yongsun heard Hyejin leave her office. She didn't mind. She was strict when following work codes. Which meant that all her employees are paid as their contracts state and work reasonable hours. There were no overtimes, because her father had established the policy and led by it. But here she was, working her as off. Her office floor was the only lit place while the rest of the building had gone dark. 

 

Hyejin made her way back to Yongsun's office. She had in her hand a big paper bag. She took light steps, glancing around every once in a while. It was a little scary due to the rest of the building being dark, but she eventually reached Yongsun's desk. 

 

“Ms. Kim,” Hyejin called out. She looked at Yongsun and handed her the bag. 

 

“At ease, Hyejin. It's outside of work hours. You can drop the formality.” Yongsun replied in a calm voice. She glanced up and her eyes narrowed when she saw Hyejin standing before her with a paper bag... “What is that?” 

 

“Food.” 

 

“Why?” 

 

“I want to have dinner with you. I know you haven't eaten yet,” Hyejin stated. 

 

Yongsun exhaled. “How much did you pay for it?” 

 

“Please tell me you're gonna eat once I tell you the cost,” Hyejin negotiated with her stubborn boss. 

 

Please log in to read the full chapter