⚪ The Butterfly Effect 🟡

Sea of Radishes
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

It's eight thirty o'clock on a Monday morning. The sun shines bright and the sky is blue. A butterfly flaps its wings and flutters in the air, catching the attention of one Ahn Hyejin. 

 

Hyejin had just gone by her favorite coffee shop and she walked on the side of the road happily. She saw the butterfly and followed it with her eyes. It was rare for a butterfly to be flying in a city like this, and the sight of its flight made Hyejin smile with curiosity and admiration. 

 

Still looking at the butterfly, Hyejin doesn't notice where she's going, and she bumps into a person, accidentally spilling the coffee on her hand all over the woman's harbor grey suit. The woman's facial expression does not change one bit, freaking Hyejin out. 

 

"Oh my goodness! I am so, so sorry!" Hyejin immediately apologized to the woman, shocked with what she just did. 

 

"Oh. It's alright.." the woman doesn't seem to be surprised at all. She still looked dignified, standing tall with her three-inch heels and long black hair. She simply looks at her stained suit before checking the time on her watch.

 

"Here, uh, let me wipe it off" Hyejin tried to search her bag for some tissue, but the woman stopped her.

 

"There's no need, really. I'm in a hurry, so here's my business card."

The woman handed Hyejin her card and walked away with quick but graceful steps.

 

Hyejin politely took the card and turned her head to watch the woman leave. She blinked a couple of times, taking everything in. That was one weird encounter. 

 

Jung Wheein, as much as she hates being a CEO, can't quit her job. Her father's company had just been passed on to her, and despite the dislike for it, it was the only thing that was giving her life significance. 

 

She drove her car and parked at a walking distance away from the company building. She didn't want others to make way for her, nor did she want unneeded attention. Like usual, she walked to the building, knowing that by now her employees had settled down inside. 

 

It was just her luck that she ran into a woman who had stained her suit with coffee. She was calm. Nothing unusual, just a clumsy person not looking at where she was going. Wheein rolled her eyes, which were thankfully hidden behind the dark sunglasses she wore. She simply handed the woman her business card, before proceeding to the company. 

 

When she got to her office, she took off her suit, tossing it to her secretary and immediately sat down. Her secretary, Kim Yongsun rushed to her, putting down a big pile of paperwork on her desk. Wheein silently sighed. There was a lot of work to be done. 

 

"I've already sorted out the papers for you earlier. A lot of them need your signature." 

 

Wheein nodded. She took off her sunglasses. She picked up a paper and read it. Her brows slightly furrowed reading the contents. "Yongsun." 

 

"Yes?" 

 

"Have my suit cleaned. Shred this one." Whee-in grabbed another piece of paperwork and read it. "And this one too. Tell Moon Byul I want to talk to her." She ordered, without bothering to look at Yongsun. 

 

Yongsun obediently bowed and left, taking the papers. She gestured to Moon Byul to get inside Wheein's office when she passed by the latter's desk, telling her to be careful. 

 

Moon Byul quickly got off her seat to go to Wheein's office. 

 

"Yongsun said you called for me?" Moon Byul asked, looking at her boss, who had the usual cold gaze and indifferent expression. She gulped, greatly anticipating Wheein's answer. 

 

"Explain why these papers are on my desk. These are all crap. You're the Chief Financial Officer. These documents go through you first, do they not?" Wheein glanced at her employee sharply, sending a specific message of sheer disappointment. 

 

"Yes, that's right... I.. I apologize." Moon Byul was deeply insulted by what Wheein said, as she had done her work as best as she could. But she swallowed her pride and uttered the words she wasn't too happy to say. 

 

"Frankly, I do not care if you have a relationship with my secretary. I am not my father." Wheein said, pointing out that she did not care for her retired father's strict no-office-romance rule, and the fact that she knew of Moon Byul's relationship with Yongsun. 

 

Moon Byul's eyes widened at the revelation. She kept closed, unable to look at Wheein. 

 

"But I will not tolerate mistakes. Do your job properly. The next time this happens, you're fired. You may go." Wheein reprimanded Moon Byul and sent her off, just like that. 

 

Moon Byul could only nod as she clenched her fists behind her back. She lowered her head a little before exiting Wheein's office. As soon as she closed the tinted glass door, she kicked the air in annoyance. 

 

Yongsun saw her girlfriend and asked, "You seem really mad, Byul.. What happened?" 

 

"I don't even want to talk about it." Moon Byul growled. The new boss was a brat, alright. Wheein was demanding and Moon Byul had to learn it the hard way. "She is worse than her father. She's a devil. We're all doomed." Moon had her arms on her hips and shook her head. 

 

"Hey, don't say that." Yongsun tried to convince Moon Byul otherwise, despite knowing that Wheein wasn't exactly the definition of someone loveable. Wheein always had a pokerface and a serious tone, but Yongsun knew there was more to her than what met the eye. 

 

Even with the tinted glass, Wheein could still see the distorted silhouettes of Moon Byul and Yongsun, who were probably talking about her. Wheein ignored the two, instead focusing on her work. She didn't want to give herself a headache. It was already complicated that she had slept with Yongsun more than twice before she got with Moon Byul. 

 

Wheein sighed and massaged her temples. It seemed like she was going to need a new relief later. It was only nine in the morning and she was already so stressed.

 

Evening couldn't come sooner as Wheein stood up from her chair and stretched out. She yawned a little as she checked her phone. She then unrolled her sleeves and walked to the elevator after locking her office and turning the lights off.

 

On her way out of the parking lot, she ran into Moon Byul who had just kissed Yongsun goodbye before the latter got in her car.

 

Moon Byul did her best to not glare at Wheein who simply passed by them without batting an eye. She then scoffed as Yongsun drove out and she got inside her own car and drove home.

 

"Ahhh... Unnie..!​ I did something terrible!" Those were the first words that Moon Byul heard when she got home, as her cousin Ahn Hyejin clung to her like a scared child.

 

"Not as terrible as my new boss, I hope." Moon Byul chuckled dryly. "But what did you do? Did you kill someone? Do you need help with disposing the body? I know someone.. Is this about one of your crazy stalkers again?" Moon Byul asked, her eyebrow raised and her arms crossed.

 

"It's nothing like that.. I spilled coffee on someone.. Because I was being clumsy.. I feel bad. The woman didn't even say anything.. What do I do, unnie?" Hyejin panicked, feeling guilty for what she did earlier.

 

"What exactly were you doing before that?"

 

"Well.. I was looking at a butterfly and-"

 

"There are no butterflies in this area. Are you sure you weren't hallucinating?"

 

"I wasn't! That's exactly why it caught my attention. Then I ended up bumping into the woman..." Hyejin sighed as she looked down.

 

"Alright now. There, there." Moon Byul gently pat Hyejin's head to comfort her. "It was unintentional and I guess the only thing you could do now is to apologize to her properly if you ever see her again. Although that would be difficult given this city is that big, it's worth a try." Moon Byul calmly said as she loosened her tie.

 

"Actually..." Hyejin thought about telling Moon Byul about the card, but she realized her cousin must have had a long day at work.

 

"Yeah?"

 

"It's nothing. I still have to prepare for the interview next week. Thank you for listening to my ranting, unnie." Hyejin let go of Moon Byul as she walked towards the kitchen with a lowered head and heavy steps.

 

"Okay.." Moon Byul shrugged and went to her room to change clothes.

 

It was already half past nine in the evening when Hyejin said good night to her cousin. Moon Byul could barely respond, as she slumped in her bed, exhausted.

 

Hyejin brushed her teeth and went to her room. She laid down and closed her eyes. She tossed and turned, but she couldn't sleep. All that she could think about was the incident earlier. She sat up and grabbed her phone and the business card she put down beside it.

 

She saw the time. It was already ten and she was a little unsure if she should call, but she told herself she couldn't go to bed unless she apologized properly.

 

Hyejin got out of bed and walked to the balcony quietly. She looked at the number and dialed it, anxious to know whether someone would even pick up.

 

Wheein was wide awake, staring into space, not feeling the coldness of the night, despite being completely in a bed with a guy. She looked at the person beside her. The guy had his turned to Wheein and she muttered underneath her breath, "Wimp." She was unsatisfied, and instead of finding pleasure with the guy, her frustration only grew and her heart became emptier. 

 

Wheein was about to leave the bed when her phone rang. She raised her brows. It was odd for someone to be calling at this hour. She was hesitant to look at the screen. But Wheein picked up her phone and answered the call anyway.

 

"Hello? Is this Jung Wheein?"

 

Wheein was extremely curious now. She knew she had heard this voice somewhere.

 

"This is Jung Wheein speaking. Who's calling?"

 

"Um. My name is Ahn Hyejin. I was that girl from earlier. With the coffee?"

 

"Oh. The one that stained my suit" Wheein replied, remembering the accident.

 

"Yeah... I'm really sorry about that, Ms. Is there anything I can do to make it up to you?" Hyejin asked apologetically as she leaned against the balcony railings.

 

"Just call me Wheein. And there's nothing to make up to. Just watch where you're going next time." Wheein ran her fingers through her hair. Right now, the only sound that resonated within the red walls of the room was her voice. 

 

"I'm really sorry about that.." Hyejin answered, feeling guilty. She sighed and muttered to her to herself "I shouldn't have followed that butterfly...."

 

"There are no butterflies around here. There are no flowers, only people and buildings" Wheein replied, shocking Hyejin who forgot she still hadn't hang up.

 

"Oh.. Uh.. But I really did see one." Hyejin replied defensively. She didn't want to be called a liar. 

 

"Describe it then" Wheein dared her with a smirk on her lips. She was finding Ahn Hyejin's words somewhat interesting.

 

"It was blue. I mean, the wings were blue and its body was bluish." Hyejin responded, trying to recall as much detail as she could.

 

Wheein snickered hearing Hyejin. She was ridiculously amusing. 

 

"You don't believe me, do you?" Hyejin heard Wheein trying to hold her laugh in. 

 

"Nope." Wheein hopped off the bed and put on her clothes. 

 

"Ugh. Of course you don't." Hyejin whined 

 

"Well. How about we talk about it tomorrow morning over some coffee? I'll take it as a sincere apology from you." 

 

"Really?" A smile was forming in Hyejin's lips. She was happy to hear the offer from Wheein.

 

"Yeah." Wheein quietly left the motel room and walked out to the streets, yawning. 

 

"You sound really sleepy.." Hyejin pointed out, to which Wheein chuckled. 

 

"I'm a long way from home. But I'm good." 

 

"Then I guess I'll see you tomorrow? Get home safely. Good night." Hyejin said with a gentle voice. 

 

"Eight in the morning. Same place as earlier." Wheein hung up and then called her driver. 

 

Hyejin put her phone down with a sigh of relief. Thank goodness. Now she could at least sleep without worry. She went back to her room to get some sleep. 

 

The time was 11:09 when Wheein got to her penthouse. The ride home was just long enough to make her sleepy. Her eyes were now droopy, and she threw herself on her bed, falling asleep immediately. 

 

Suddenly there was nothingness. But out of the total darkness, a glowing figure emerged. It was a butterfly, fluttering along. It was majestic and astonishingly beautiful, yet terrifyingly fragile and vulnerable. Its blue glow illuminated the dark and it left blue glow dusts in its trail. Flowers with glowing petals sprung from the void, and the butterfly hovered above them, like a child who played happily. 

 

Wheein realized she was dreaming as she opened her eyes. She grabbed her phone. Six thirty-seven in the morning. She had more than an hour to get ready. She hated getting up so early in the morning, but she had another reason to hurry up and prepare for the day. 

 

Wheein yawned as she made her way to the bathroom. A cold shower would be enough to completely wake her up. She checked her body as water trickled down it. No marks, no bruises. No traces. She sighed in relief. Just the way she wanted. 

 

She finished showering and got out of the bathroom. She then went through her closet. Normally, she would have already grabbed a black suit and tie, but the thought of her rendezvous with Hyejin later compelled her to decide to wear something a little less... Strict. 

 

Wheein chose a sapphire blue suit and trousers. Out of all the suits she had-burgundy, umber, charcoal, grey, onyx, midnight blue and black-this one appeared to be the least intimidating.

 

'No tie', Wheein said to herself. Tuesdays were a little more casual than Mondays. Besides, Wheein had noticed that people tended to stare at her more whenever she had a tie on. Probably because it made her look like the ruthless businesswoman and authoritative CEO that she is. 

 

Wheein buttoned her white shirt, leaving the first button open. She put on her suit and fixed her collar. She grabbed her watch. It was 7:40. Just enough time. 

 

Hyejin had gotten up at six, a little jittery about meeting with Wheein. From what she had concluded yesterday evening, Wheein was not someone to joke around. This alone made Hyejin nervous. She shook her head and ignored the thoughts. She got ready and soon left with her cousin, who was heading out to work. 

 

Moon Byul and Hyejin get in Moon Byul's car. 

 

"Where do you want me to drop you off?" Moon Byul asked her cousin. 

 

"There's a coffee shop near your workplace, unnie. I'm meeting someone there." 

 

"You mean the one with all the radish designs?", Moon Byul asked

 

"Yeah", Hyejin nodded. 

 

"Okay. Buckle up then", Moon Byul told Hyejin in the backseat. She started the car and drove off. 

 

Wheein arrived at the coffee shop at exactly eight and chose a seat near the entrance to ensure that Hyejin would see her. She was thankful that people were minding their own business. 

 

Hyejin soon walked in and quickly spotted Wheein. She sat down across her with a friendly smile on her face. "Good morning. I hope you didn't wait long." 

 

"Oh. I didn't." Wheein replied, looking at Hyejin. The white dress Hyejin wore gave Wheein a light feeling. It was quite odd, knowing that Hyejin was a stranger and yet, she didn't feel awkward around her. 

 

There was silence for a bit until a server came to ask for their order. 

 

"Red​ eye coffee. No additions." Wheein knew that the caffeine would probably keep her up until later this evening, but she needed it. 

 

Please log in to read the full chapter