For the vibes

Min's Jiminjeong One-Shot Collection

Ellis as Winter, Emily as Karina

 

“You know this is toxic right? This thing we have?” Ellis said. 

 

“What? Lesbian ex-couples being friends? Isn’t that a thing?” Emily chuckles then pauses as she sees Ellis roll her eyes “Sorry, lesbian AND biual. My bad.” 

 

Ellis and Emily met at their usual alleyway between a bar and a bookshop where they met. Cigarettes played between Emily’s fingers, the heat slowly creeping in her skin. 

 

Ellis is standing at a good distance from Emily. Hands inside her coat pockets, trying to keep warm. 

 

“I meant this… meeting each other whenever our other relationships don’t work. We keep running back to each other but it never works in the end.” Ellis sighs. 

 

“Where is this coming from? This was never a problem. You like it anyway.” Emily takes a whiff of nicotine to her system. “Remember you said you don’t think anyone could you better than I do?” Emily adds as she laughs hysterically. Even throwing a light punch to Ellis’s shoulder. But the other didn’t seem to grasp the same energy. 

 

It felt heavy. Especially for Ellis. “Ems, I think we should stop this. We’re not 18 anymore. It’s been 5 years. We can’t keep doing this.” 

 

Emily’s brows furrow looking at Ellis “Why? This was never serious anyway. We’re just… best friends… doing you know, stuff.” She says, looking anywhere but Ellis. Emily continues, “Besides, we just do it for” 

 

“The vibes,” they say in unison. 

 

Emily starts fidgeting. Eyes blinking in an unreasonable amount of times. Looking up, looking down. Trying to steady her breathing. “No, no, please don’t do this Ems.” Ellis reacts. 

 

“Do what?” Emily says as she faces the red brick wall trying to pick on whatever it is that’s on there to keep her distracted. 

 

“You’re doing it again. You’re gonna act like this. Like the world is against you just because I want to stop the one thing that’s constant for you. And that’s whatever this thing we have is. This is not healthy Emily.” Ellis tries to say it in a gentle way because she knows that Emily will get emotional and breakdown if she ever raises her voice. 

 

“Emily look at me. Look at me.” 

 

Emily turns to face her with tears in her eyes a pout forming on her lips. Ellis sighs. 

 

“I’m getting married, Emily. With Devin. You know, the guy I met at the book convention. He’s a nice guy and he treats me well we’ve been dating for a year now.” Ellis tries to break it to Emily. She knows Emily will take it the hardest. Given their… history. 

 

“Devin? That guy who eats ketchup on the get-go?? You’re getting married to him? A guy?” Emily says in disbelief. “He’s not even cute. A man, Ellis, really?” 

 

Ellis rolls her eyes “Emily can you at least acknowledge I like men too?” Emily halts realizing what she said. 

 

“Seriously though Ems, we have to end this. We can still be friends you know. The normal kind!” Ellis says as she caresses Emily’s head. This is what Emily always loved about her “best friend” Ellis. She’s always so soft-spoken. Never raises her voice. Very attentive and just, sweet. 

 

Emily heaved a big sigh and stood in front of Ellis like a kid. “Am I invited to your wedding?” 

 

“I wouldn’t want anything else but my best friend there, on the most important day in my life… I love you… Emily. As a friend. I really don’t wanna lose you. So please, learn to let this thing we have go. Hm?” Ellis says. 

 

“Can I get one last forehead kiss?” Ellis hesitantly looks at Em’s remark. “As friends? El, please?” 

 

Ellis’ eyes soften, “You’re still such a baby.” 

 

“For the vibes?”

 

“For the vibes.” 

 

El kisses Emily’s forehead one last time. Emily’s feelings at that moment were fatal. A tear escapes her eye as she feels El’s soft lift against her skin. As soon as they stepped back,  Emily’s heart broke. She laughs as she wipes her tears away. “Sorry.” She sniffles. 

 

Ellis smiles. Emily smiles. 

 

“Please heal, Emily.” 

 

Emily nods. 

 

And just like that, the one thing that was constant for Emily was gone. She was so caught up and comfortable with the fact that if her relationship didn’t work she could always run to Ellis. She didn’t realize sooner that they were friends before they became lovers. And staying friends (a normal one) can still be the constant thing that Ellis still offers. 

 

“You’re so selfless, it’s selfish” Emily chuckles to herself as she sees Ellis walk away.