Chapter 11 – Thumb

GPT

From that day onwards, I feel like I am getting closer to Khum Sam. She talks to me more but doesn’t let it show to anyone and I haven't told a single person about our new-found familiarity either. I’m afraid they’ll be jealous and dislike me if they know that I am her friend.

I have to be careful around my colleagues. Although we have the same salary, we don’t receive the same attention from the boss and that is something to be careful about. In that regard, Khun Sam and I decided not to talk much at work. But after work, we enjoy our sweet time together by eating delicious food whenever she feels like it.

Boss: Let’s go to Seri Thai. They have great noodles there.

Before, Khun Sam didn’t have anyone to share her favourite food with. Even when she was with her friends, she didn’t dare ask for what she wanted. Ever since she met me, she seems to be enjoying doing that. Most people would be terrified of eating with Khun Sam since she is a M.L. I was tense at first but now I’m so glad I was able to get closer to her, I got to know her on another level.

Khun Sam’s favourite colour is grey.

Khun Sam is irritated by sad songs, they give her headaches.

Khun Sam drives very fast.

Khun Sam loves spicy food.

All of this, I couldn’t find in magazines.

Also, her friends added me to a group chat on Line. The group name is quite embarrassing.

"Gossip about Poopy Poop".

Yes. Khun Sam is not included because she is the P.P. In the group, there are P'Tee, P'Kate and P'Jim, who is getting married soon. Everyone was excited to invite me and they are all very kind to me. They did not hold back and treated me no differently than with each other.

Tee: Are you going on a date again? What do you think, girls?

Kate: You two are hanging out a lot. Are you getting married?

Martha: Why does it pain me so much to see you two getting along? Am I jealous?

They always tease me when I tell them where I’m going or what I’m going to do with Khun Sam. I don’t really know why they like to tease me so much.

I’m a woman.

Doraemon: Khun Sam likes to eat good food. But she doesn’t have a lot of friends to go with her.

Kate: Isn’t Kirk her fiancé? Why doesn’t she go with him?

I read the text and get upset but I don’t respond. Khun Sam is driving and glances at me.

“What’s wrong? Why are you so quiet?”

“Nothing.” I lock my phone before I answer her. “Today we are having noodles, what about tomorrow?”

“I don’t know, but I think this holiday I’ll take you to Ayuthaya to eat giant river prawns. They’re so good.”

“Why don’t you go with Mr. Kirk?”

P’Kate’s sentence kept floating in my head, so much that I couldn’t help but mention it. Khun Sam remains silent and then answers slowly.

“Kirk doesn’t like to eat that sort of food. He prefers Italian cuisine and I am tired of it.”

“Does he know we’re close?”

“Are we?”

My thoughts became clouded for a moment and then I smiled drily at her. She smiles back and gently touches my head in an affectionate way.

“I’m just kidding. If we weren’t close, I wouldn’t take you with me, my fan.”

The small hand on my head feels great and I can feel its warmth slowly spread down to my body. I try not to move because I’m afraid she’ll pull her hand away, but then she puts her hand back on the wheel because of course, she’s driving.

“I’m so glad I got close to you. Can I call you P.P.?

“I’m going to hit you!”

I stick my tongue out at her and then I fall silent and sheepishly turn away to look out of the window. I’m loving this feeling.

I didn’t realise what that feeling was at first. It only became apparent when the holiday came. On the day when we had to meet up and go to Ayuthaya together, Khun Sam cancelled our date for a frustrating reason.

Boss: Kirk invited me to eat giant river prawns. Can we go together another time?

All I can do is read the message. I’m so upset now. I am irritated all day.

Tee: PP cancelled the date. I’m so mad at her. How are you, Mon?

Kate: If I were Mon, I would definitely be mad. She invites me, but then ends up going with someone else.

Martha: Seriously, why is no one talking about my wedding? Is everyone obsessed with PP?

Tee: You’re already pregnant. It’s game over, your wedding is just a superficial party. What else do you want?

Martha: Tee… it’s me, Martha. Your friend.

Tee: Fine. Will you come with me to get revenge on PP? Today I’m free.

Kate: Hey. Don’t forget our rule, don’t play with your friends.

Tee: I won’t. I just want to go out and eat. You and Kate should come.

Kate: I’m not available. I have a photoshoot.

And it looks like something made her change her mind. The group went silent momentarily before Kate is back typing a message again.

Kate: Okay, I am coming. I want to see you all.

Tee: Then I’ll go get Mon. Where do you live? Send me your address please.

It all happened so fast. I didn’t even agree to go with them, but I didn’t have the courage to refuse. When they were dicussing about it, they basically forced me into it at the same time. Finally, P'Tee arrives at my place in her exorbitant European car. Now my parents are confused.

“Who’s that?”

“Khun Sam’s friend.”

I get in P'Tee’s car. I’m not very close to her and I feel uncomfortable, but her smile quickly puts me at ease.

“You’re not alone today, okay ? You don’t have to feel lonely, we’re for you and we’re going to eat together.”

“You are so kind to me.”

“Believe me, what we are doing is not only just for you. It’s also because we love trouble and being nosy.”

The beautiful lady smiles. We arrive at the restaurant. P'Kate is late, she’s still in the studio. So I’m with P'Jim and P'Tee.

“Sincerely, this comes from my heart. When I see you, I get so upset.” P’Jim says before she sips her water with so much force that she makes bubble noise with the straw. “Because I’m not as close with P.P.”

“You are pregnant, Jim.”

“What? A pregnant woman cannot be jealous?”

“Please, don’t be jealous. I’m nothing.” I feel like my voice is breaking. “You should be jealous of Mr. Kirk.”

“I can see that you’re upset, aren't you? But I understand, we’re friends. I know what you feel, being jealous of an impossible thing. An impossible person.”

“I’m not jealous.”

But it seems that no one believes me. Even though Khun Sam's gang is very kind, they are so sneaky. They are always teasing me, it’s difficult to deal with.

“I'm here!” P’Kate shouts out from afar and plops down on the seat next to me. “I’m so exhausted. I rushed the pictures to finish work and get here. Hello my little Mon.”

I join my hands up and show my respect to the woman but she beautiful star doesn’t seem to pay attention to me at all, she is fixated on her smartphone.

“Tee, put your cheek on Mon’s now.”

“What now?”

I was a little dazed because I was caught off guard. P’Tee listens to her friend, pulls me close with an arm around my neck and rests her cheek against mine. P’Kate then takes a photo.

“Okay, now let’s edit the picture a bit. I’ll send you the picture, Tee. You need to upload it yourself in our Line group.”

“The group with PP in it? Oh, send it to me.”

P’Tee pulls away from me and focuses on her smartphone immediately. Now I look at P’Tee and P’Jim back and forth very confusedly.

What the hell is happening?

Ding!

I receive a notification from Line right away. Khun Sam sent me a grumpy face sticker without any text.

What…

“Who texted you? Was it P.P.?” P’Kate grabbed my hands and quickly snatched my phone away. “Is P.P. the goddess of stickers? She’s crazy.”

“This is how she communicates with me. I need to interpret. It seems like something upset her.”

P’Tee leans over to glance at my phone and laughs.

“She’s someone hard to get, we always have to interpret what she says or does... Hey, she sent a message already. ‘Why don’t you answer my message?’"

Despite it not being an embarrassing message, I felt my cheeks get hot when I heard it being read out loud like that, everyone looked at me with a smile on their lips. I don’t know what they are thinking right now.

“Uh. Can I get my cell phone back?”

“No, you cannot.” P’Tee answers me very eloquently.

“She’s feeling something.”

“She is with her boyfriend but she sends stickers and messages to another person. What else can I make of it? But she’s not a lesbian, it doesn’t seem to it has anything to do with other women. I can’t picture Sam and Mon in a relationship, who’s the man and who’s the woman?”

P’Tee rubs her chin while deep in thoughts. My face really gets red I bet now, I heard everything she said and I understood what she meant.

“F... Friends... Khun Sam and... I.”

“She texted me. Awesome.” P’Tee grabs her phone to read the message. “She just asked, ‘Where are you?’”

“What are you all doing? Don’t talk with each other and act as if I wasn’t here.”

I say loud and clear. They all look at me in astonishment. With all eyes on me, I decide to bow lightly in a cute and adorable manner.

“I-I just wanted to join in.”

“Sorry, sorry. We were having too much fun.” P’Kate giggles and pulls me closer. “We just wanted to tease P.P a little. She cancelled her date with you and went with someone else. We are trying to know what she would do if Mon went out with someone else as well.”

“And Mon’s someone else is Tee, a wonderful, rich, fun and sporty tomboy from Bangkok.” P’Jim holds out her hand to P’Tee. “Women wants her. Someone who is not only rich and beautiful, but who comes from high society and will never get her pregnant. Like Tee.”

“Huh.” I don’t really understand. “And so, what are the results?”

“You saw it. P.P. keeps sending you angry stickers.” P’Kate chimes in, but I still don’t understand anything.

“Khun Sam always communicates like this with me.”

“She’s not like that with anyone else.”

“She’s not?”

The three women look at me with smiles.

“She only does this with you, only you. Interesting, huh?”

Time passes by and P’Tee takes me home. It’s almost 8 p.m. When we arrive, we look at each other. P’Tee is laughing because she saw Khun Sam’s yellow car.

“How smart is Kate? She can read our P.P. so well.”

I am surprised when I see Khun Sam. P’Tee gets out of the car and Khun Sam talks to me in a serious tone.

“Why did you come home so late?”

“Didn’t Mon tell you that we went out to watch a movie and eat out together?”

A movie?

I look confusedly at P’Tee but I remain silent. Khun Sam is holding a bag and hands it over to me.

“I bought that for you.”

“. Have I not told you that we also had giant river prawns? Why did you still bring that?” P’Tee tries to grab the bag, but Khun Sam holds onto it tight. “Hand it.”

“It’s not for you.”

“Oh, thanks.” I take the bag from her hands. “How did you get here?”

“I drove.”

“Did you come alone? Where is your husband?” P’Tee asks.

“Husband?” She asks in disgust. “Please do not use that word with me.”

“Why are you so serious today? We’ve always called Kirk that. Alright, I’ll call him your fiancé then.” P’Tee tries to touch Khun Sam's face, but she slaps it away. “Hey, it’s me? I’m your friend. Did you forget that?”

They’re staring at each other as if they were fighting. I have been watching from a distance but I am fearing things might get out of hands so I try to stop them.

Why are they fighting? I’m so lost.

“I need to thank you for the ride today.” I tell P’Tee “And, thank you Khun Sam for visiting. I have to go…”

“Mon.”

It’s Nop’s voice, which at this moment seems to have descended from the skies to help me. I walk towards him and stand beside him. Nop looks at Khun Sam and P’Tee for a moment. He knows he’s younger than the both of them, so he politely joins his hands together and raise them.

“Good evening.”

“I got giant river prawns, Khun Sam bought them for me. Let’s go inside and eat.” I said very loudly as to put an end to the whole situation. “I would like to thank you again.”

“Have a good night, Mon.”

P’Tee is waving her hand as she is about to leave, but Khun Sam doesn’t move an inch and calls out to me in the same serious voice.

“Mon.”

When I don’t answer, she calls my name once more. When I turn around, my heart starts racing. I look into her chocolate eyes and try to guess what she wants to tell me.

“Yes?”

”…”

”…”

”…”

“What is it?"

Since she doesn’t answer, I can’t give my beautiful boss an answer. So I ask again and this time instead of answering she surprisingly gives me a thumb up.

“I’m disappointed…”