FINAL

Winter's Night
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Baekhyun's POV

 

It was that magical first snowfall when our paths crossed, and you were wrapped up like a cozy bunny, radiating warmth amidst the chill. In that very instant, my heart skipped a beat, and I couldn't deny the flutter of emotion within me. You cupped your hands, blowing warmth into them, and our eyes locked. I should have been flustered and looked away, but I couldn't tear my gaze from you. As cliché as it may seem, I felt utterly captivated. Love at first sight? I used to scoff at the notion, but right now, I couldn’t deny the possibilities. There was something about you that felt so right.

Your expression showed a hint of confusion as to why a stranger was so entranced, yet you graced me with the most delicate smile, a tiny, heartwarming gesture that sent my heart aflutter. Before I could react, your friends gathered around you, and your smile grew even more radiant. I watched you walk away, but deep down, I couldn’t shake the feeling that you had felt the same connection as I did. It was at that moment when you turned back, your eyes locking with mine once more. This time, your smile was so breathtakingly beautiful that I wished I had a way to capture it.

 

On this winter night, when the world is wrapped in a blanket of ice and snow, she is the one who gave me warmth.

 

I didn’t think I would see you again. I thought I had used up all my luck on the night when I met you, but here you are, standing right before my eyes. Winter break had ended, and we had all reluctantly returned to campus. The cold still lingered, and students continued to don their thick winter coats over their school uniforms. Your gaze wandered across the room, as if in search of a friendly face to share the upcoming school days as desk-mates. It wouldn’t be a problem though, considering that the majority of the boys in the class were much like me, secretly hoping you would choose to sit beside them. I tried to appear nonchalant, but I was filled with nervous anticipation inside. Would you have any recollection of me? A stranger you happened upon on an ordinary winter evening?

Lost in my thoughts, pondering whether to capture your attention, my eyes fell upon a pair of shoes in front of me. As I looked up, our gazes met once more. Your lips curled into the very same smile that took my breath away on that winter night, and just like that, we became desk mates, and I found myself falling deeper into an enchanting abyss.

 

With each passing month, our connection grew stronger. We were like two puzzle pieces that had finally found their match, inseparable during our school days. The boys playfully teased me, urging me to confess my feelings for you, all so I could proudly claim the title of your boyfriend. You were an introvert, shy of attention and crowds. On Valentine’s Day when it was just the two of us, I shared my feelings with you, and you reciprocated,  and we solidified our relationship with a loving kiss. High school was the time when love was youthful and intense, unmarred by the tough truths of life beyond the school premises.

We were naïve thinking that our love would stay strong, that nothing could break us apart. However, as the years rolled on, we faced immense pressure from school and the growing distance between our universities. You chose to study at Seoul University to be a News Anchor, while I chose to study at Busan to pursue Arts. In the beginning, we coped by relying on n

Please log in to read the full chapter