Chapter Two

Chasing The Dragon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I have rewritten the prologue and chapter one. Please go back and reread if you haven't already ^^

 

Zitao stood outside with his arms crossed, staring put into the forest. His foot was tapping impatiently as he waited for his party to arrive. He was about to turn around and go drag him out himself when he saw Jean and Max running towards him. Jean opened his mouth, probably to shout something, but Max quickly covered his mouth and pulled him over. 

"We're supposed to be quiet, ," Max whispered as soon as they were standing next to Zitao. "His mother isn't supposed to know."

"Well, s o r r y," Jean said sarcastically, rolling his eyes. Zitao let out an annoyed sigh before glancing at the door as his two guards, Xiao and Mingshu, came walking out. Xiao smiled over at them, but Mingshu looked very displeased. 

"We could get into some serious trouble for this, you know that?" Mingshu asked once they were standing with Zitao. "And I'm talking about myself and Xiao ge. But we're your guards and we're supposed to protect you, wo we're coming anyway."

"Well, thank you for your loyalty," Zitao said with a cheeky grin. He was about to say something else when Zemin came sprinting out.

"Run!" He cried out. "Before she realizes you're not in the castle! She just woke up and was heading towards the kitchen."

"," Zitao said, glancing at the others before nodding his head. "Let's go!"

The group all ran towards the forest, making sure to keep up with eachother. They didn't stop running until they were a good mile away from the castle. They all finally stopped, climbing up some trees and glancing around. They were in an area that was snowing easily, but the mystical warmth the castle gave then despite the snow was gone. Zitao shivered, bringing out his heavy blanket and wrapping it around himself.

"So what's the plan, boss?" Max asked as he sat himself down on a heavy tree branch, sitting against the tree trunk. Children of the Elven Kingdom grew up learning to climb and hide in trees. They had to learn to sleep in trees and stay in trees for days on end. So this came naturally to the group as they all got settled so they could come up with a plan.

"I think we should make our way out of the Mi region," Zitao said. "We need to cross the Zu River and walk along it till we reach Huimu Village of the Mu region." 

"That's a lot of walking," Jean said with a groan. 

"We walk all the time," Zitao said, rolling his eyes. “We’ve been on night hunts before.”
“Not outside of the Mi region,” Jean said with a huff. “The other regions have their own cultivators for that! We never have to leave the comfort of Mi.”

“Well now we do,” Zitao stated before letting out a deep sigh. “It’s really cold out. Everyone try and stay warm. I’ll try and draw up some fire talismans to keep us warm.”

“Shouldn’t you have already done that?” Zemin asked with a sigh.

“We only had like 6 hours to prepare,” Zitao said, narrowing his eyes at him. “So no, I couldn’t have done that yet. We’ve had no time to even plan.”

“So letting Levi be in charge of any type of trip is definitely not the best plan,” Max stated with a soft laugh. “Noted.”

“Maybe one of us should take over so we don’t get lost or something,” Jean added, causing Zemin to let out a soft scoff.

“Yeah, cause that’s smart,” Zemin said, shaking his head. “Letting you two dimwits plan anything would end in disaster. You definitely shouldn’t be the men for a job like that.”

“Hey! I know how to be serious,” Max said with a pout.

“Yet you hang out with He Yuming,” Zemin said with a snort. 

“Excuse me, but I am awesome!” Jean cried out in offense, crossing his arms.

“How about everyone get some sleep,” Zemin stated, changing the conversation. “Mingshu, Xiao and I will take turns keeping watch.”

“Mingshu and I can do it,” Xiao spoke up, patting Zemin’s back. “We’re here to protect you guys anyway. It’s our job to protect the Royal family.”

“If we’re doing it that way,” Zitao said, turning on Max and Jean. “It’s your job to serve the Royal family. Now! Fetch me some water.”

“No thanks,” Jean said, taking a blanket from his bag and putting it over his body. “I think I’m just going to sleep now. I’m exhausted.”

“I’m right there with you,” Max said, also digging out a blanket. “Goodnight. Sleep tight.”

“Don’t let bedbugs bite,” Jean added, before both of them turned their attention away from Zitao.

“Hey! Rude!” Zitao cried out, pelting a twig at them.

“Just try and get some sleep,” Zemin said with a laugh. “Let the weirdos be themselves.”

“Whatever,” Zitao said with a yawn, curling up on his tree branch and taking out his own blanket and a pillow he had rolled up. “I’ll sleep then. Let me know if something happens.”

“We’ll make sure you know,” Xiao said, before slipping down the tree towards the ground. Zitao hummed and nodded his head before closing his eyes, falling asleep against the tree trunk, despite the cold wind blowing around him.

༻✧༺

 

Late into the night there was a knock on Kentaro's door, causing the teen to let out a small groan and open his eyes. He laid in his bed in a state of confusion, unsure of what had woken him up. That was until he heard the knock again. Kentaro's eyes widened before jumping out of bed in alarm. He grabbed a hold of his sword and cautiously moved towards the door. No one was home, so why would someone be knocking on his door?

"Jiang Liuwan! Open up right now!" The strict voice of a woman cried out, causing Kentaro to set down his sword and rush to the door. It was his mother. 

"Mom? You're home?" Kentaro asked, opening the door to greet the woman. "You're back really early."

"My hunt ended early," the woman stated, her face in the state of a permanent frown. Kentaro cleared his throat and straightened his posture, while also awkwardly trying go straighten out his pajamas. "Where is Haoshan? Why is he not in his room?"

"He's not?" Kentaro asked, letting out an internal sigh. He didn't want to cover for his brother in fears of getting in deep trouble with their mother. He also didn't want to tell her how he didn't stop him, because he knew he'd be in just as much trouble because he failed. "He was when I went to bed."

"You didn't hear him leave?" The woman asked, causing Kentaro to shake his head. "You better fix your senses! If you can't even hear your own brother leaving the house then you definitely won't hear your enemy if they break into your home!"

"Yes ma'am," Kentaro said, deciding it was best not to argue. It wasn't worth fighting the woman over.

"You are to go out there and find him and bring him back here," his mother ordered, causing Kentaro's face t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter