I won't be sorry, 21/24

Walkin' out the door with your bags (JMJ)

 

Jimin’s working on a description for one of the paintings in her company’s gallery when she gets a phone call. She sees the time as 12 a.m., and she blinks. Had she been at her desk for that long? She shakes her head and checks the caller ID and she malfunctions for a moment, her phone slipping out of her grasp.

 

She scrambles and quickly picks up the phone, clearing unceremoniously.

 

“Hello?” Jimin answers.

“Unnie!” Jimin’s lips tilt in a soft smile when she hears Minjeong’s voice. “Happy birthday.”
 

Right .

It was Jimin’s birthday; she completely forgot.

 

“How did you remember? It’s only seven p.m. over in Seoul.” Jimin chuckles lightly.

“I waited and checked when it was going to be twelve in Paris. ” Minjeong beams. “I did it properly, right?” 

“It’s right. Good job, Minjeong Baby.” Jimin coos. 

“Unnie, you’re still calling me that?” Minjeong whines. “I’m twenty years old!”

“When will you not be Minjeong Baby to me? You still whine like one.” Jimin chuckles.

“Because you’re annoying.” Minjeong grumbles. 

“And you let me get away with it.” Jimin snorts.

“Because—ugh!” Minjeong huffs and Jimin giggles.

 

“What are you doing in Paris right now, Unnie?” Minjeong asks, laying down on her bed more comfortably.

“I’m doing a bit of work right now.” Jimin answers. “ And you?”

“I came back from a class. Ningning went out, so I’m at the dorm by myself.” She tells Jimin.

Have you eaten yet?” Jimin asks.

“So sweet, Unnie, still worrying if you’re in a different country.” Minjeong chuckles. “I ate kimbap for lunch. I’m going to eat dinner with Aeri in a bit.”
“That’s good.” Jimin hums.

 

Jimin closes her laptop and leans back against the couch cushions.

 

Unnie.” Minjeong calls out.

“Hm?” Jimin’s beginning to grow a bit sleepy.

I miss you.” Minjeong says it softly and candidly.

 

Jimin doesn’t reply; her phone on the soft carpeted floor of her dorm.

 

“Did you fall asleep?” Minjeong chuckles when she hears the answer—a soft snore from Jimin. “Good night, unnie.” 


 


 

For the rest of the year, Jimin rarely has time to get back to her friends since it’s towards the end of the year and it’s getting more busy before her departure to return home to Seoul.

 

Her mind travels back to what Aeri told her a few weeks ago:

 

“I think Minjeongie’s dating.” Aeri tells her on FaceTime as Jimin folds her clothes.

 

Jimin pauses, folding her shirt slowly.

 

“Why do you think so?” Jimin asks.

“I think I saw them at the mall two days ago. She’s been around this tall dude and she’s always going out; my dad snitches on her to me.” Aeri tells her. “I’ll knock him out if I see him in person. He better be treating her right.”

“Maybe you should just wait until she’s ready to tell you.” Jimin tries, even if she’s beginning to feel an uncomfortable feeling in her body.

“You’re right. This is new, so I should be calm and collected.” Aeri takes a breath. “I feel like going boxing with Jeno makes me want to punch everything.”

“You better not punch me when I come back.” Jimin snorts.

“No promises.” 


 

She shakes her head. There’s no time to think about this. In a few weeks, Jimin will be back in Korea for the first time since last year.

 

And she’ll be seeing Minjeong again. Besides their phone calls and lack of communication over the past year, the last thing Jimin recalls is Minjeong’s candid confession that night.

 

She hopes nothing has changed.



 



 

Jimin gets home before Christmas, and she has asked Aeri to pick her up. To her embarrassment, Aeri had gone all out, holding a big and sparkly sigh with the words, ‘Yu Jimin, welcome home, bestie!’ In all bold and capital lettering. 

 

“Nice to see you too, Aeri.” Jimin sighs, dropping her bag to hug her.

“You’re welcome!” Aeri beams, squeezing Jimin tightly.

 

She sees Jeno out of the corner of her eye and nods to him and he does too.

 

“C’mon, let’s get you back home.” Aeri pats her shoulder.



 

Jimin returns to her apartment and thanks Aeri for maintaining its homey atmosphere. She settles back in immediately, melting into her bed and falling asleep, feeling the jetlag catch up to her.

 

She wakes up some time later in the afternoon when her phone rings.

 

She picks it up and sees that it’s Aeri.

 

“Hello?” Jimin’s voice is croaky when she speaks.

“Damn mama, you were dead for that long.” Aeri whistles and Jimin groans.

“What time is it?” Jimin squints, trying to see the clock in her room in the dark.

Not that late; it’s fifteen past eight.” Aeri answers. “I was calling to see if you wanted to grab dinner with me. I just finished boxing.”

“Just us?” Jimin asks, thinking of a certain girl in her mind.

“Yeah, I’m going to shower.” Aeri says. “Meet me at the hotpot; I booked it for nine and I don’t want to be late, so get there first.”

“Okay.” Jimin drags herself up from bed and cracks her back unceremoniously. “I’ll see you.”

 

Jimin washes her face and gets dressed comfortably before leaving to meet Aeri.

 

She lines up and takes a seat at the table and shortly after, Aeri comes running in.

 

“Hey!” Jimin stands up to hug Aeri briefly. “That nap must’ve done you good.”

“I feel like I never even left Seoul,” Jimin chuckles.

“Let’s order; I’m freakin’ starving.” Aeri grins.

 

They have that moment where the food is being ravished in silence. No one speaks as they scuff down the food. Jimin was hungry from the trip and Aeri was hungry from work and going to the gym. When Jimin begins to slow down, feeling full, Aeri begins to speak.

 

“Dude, I’m so full.” Aeri moans, leaning back against her seat.

“Same. I missed Asian food.” Jimin sighs, stretching her legs out from under the table.

 

Jimin takes a sip of her coke to help digest and Aeri takes a look at her phone.

 

“Have you told my family you’re back yet?” Aeri asks. “Minjeongie must miss you like crazy.”

“I was going to see them maybe tomorrow.” Jimin tells her, trying to feign ignorance at the way her ears warm up at the mention of the younger girl. “And I spoke to Minjeong when I was still in Paris.”

“Not enough; I mean, you barely had time to speak to me either.” Aeri snorts. “Did you make a French best friend or find a bed buddy?”

“No, I did not.” Jimin rolls her eyes. “I’ve been studying and working.”

“Not even your dorm mate over there?” Aeri teases.

“They gave me a single room.” Jimin deadpans.

“Oh gosh, our little Jiminie has been deprived.” Aeri gasps dramatically.

“Shut up.” Jimin picks up a coriander stem and throws it at Aeri.

“We should go now; it’s late.” Aeri stands up.

“Your shout?” Jimin grins.

“Only if you drive me home. I ubered here.” Aeri grins and Jimin stands up.

“Deal.” Jimin laughs.

 

Jimin takes Aeri home and when they're near that one store that opens late, Aeri slaps Jimin’s arm a couple hundred times.

 

“Wait, stop here! I need to buy things for the apartment.” Aeri tells her.

“Alright, alright!” Jimin answers, changing lanes.

“I drank all of Jeno’s chocolate milk and he was going to drink it after gym. I felt bad.” Aeri giggles.

“Of course you did.” Jimin rolls her eyes.

 

The two of them roam the aisles and Aeri gets separated from Jimin as she holds a basket and looks through the aisles intently. 

 

Jimin stops in the snacks aisle and sees a woman crouching down near the chocolate section, and she doesn’t think much of it, walking past her and down the aisle.

 

She’s almost past the aisle when she hears her name:

 

“Jimin-unnie?”

 

And that voice that halts all her motions and thoughts—

 

Jimin turns around and sees Minjeong standing in front of her with a bar of chocolate in her hand.

 

She drops the chocolate bar and runs up to Jimin, not caring if she caught the girl off guard or not, but Jimin always catches her.

 

“It’s you! You’re really back!” Minjeong laughs into Jimin’s shoulder as the older girl lifts Minjeong off her feet, hugging her waist tightly.

“I told you I’d come back.” Jimin chuckles.

 

Jimin puts Minjeong back on the ground and she shoves the older girl.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me you were coming back?” Minjeong pouts.

“I only just came back today.” Jimin laughs and tugs Minjeong into her by her arm.

“Come on, don’t you miss me?” She teases and Minjeong flushes bright red.

“I–”

“Minjeong.” A deep voice calls out and Jimin turns around.

“Jisung.” Minjeong blinks.

 

Jimin drops her hand.

 

“I was looking through all the aisles for you.” The boy smiles brightly. “Oh, are you Minjeong’s friend?”

“Ah, no.” Jimin shakes her head. “I’m a friend of her sister’s.”

 

Minjeong frowns and wonders if that’s all Jimin is to her.

 

“I’m Park Jisung; nice to meet you properly this time.” He bows politely and Jimin smiles wryly, bowing as well.

“Yu Jimin.” She answers. “Nice seeing you again.”

 

“Yo, Jimins—oh, what—the whole fam is here!” Aeri comes in with her basket and she fails to notice the odd tension between Minjeong and Jimin.

 

Minjeong’s eyes flit to Jimin to gauge a reaction from her, but Jimin doesn’t seem to react much, although she stands rooted in her spot.

 

“Jisung! You grew up so much!” Aeri beams.

“Ah-ha,” He grins shyly. “Thank you, noona. It’s nice to see you again.”

“Are you guys shopping too?” Aeri asks and Jisung holds up a six-pack of canned beer in his hand.

“We’re having a get-together at a friend's house. Just went for a quick beer run.” He tells them and Jimin frowns.

“I hope you’re not being irresponsible.” Aeri grins and Jisung shakes his head in panic.

“N-no! We’re being very responsible. There are only a few of us and we’re all sleeping over.” Jisung explains and Aeri nods.

“It’s okay; I trust my sister in your hands.” Aeri nods with approval. “Anyways, we’ll be going now!” She pulls on Jimin’s arm.

 

Aeri pulls Jimin out of the store after paying and Jimin can’t help but look behind her as the image of Minjeong looking so beautiful alongside that boy burns into her mind.

 

“Wow, I can’t believe she’s dating Jisung again!” Aeri laughs with disbelief as they get into Jimin’s car. “I knew it was fate!”

“She didn’t explicitly say they were dating.” Jimin says this before her mind catches up.

“Why are you praying for the downfall of my curated ship?” Aeri says.

“I mean—uh, you should wait for Minjeong to tell you.” Jimin clears , beginning to drive.

“Okay, okay—I’ll be patient.” Aeri takes a dramatic deep breath.

 

Jimin nods and sighs slowly as she drives Aeri home.

 

When she reaches her own apartment, she sinks into her couch and thinks about Minjeong.


 

< Do you need me to pick you up?

 

She decides to send.

 

There’s no instant reply like all those years ago when Minjeong was still little to her, but there’s a definite answer and it makes Jimin understand change.

 

> It’s okay. I’m sleeping over.

 

Jimin drops her phone and heads into her shower.



 

Jimin thinks about the conversation she had with Aeri before she dropped her off in the shower.

 

Yeah, Minjeong moved back into our house because our parents missed her so bad.” Aeri snorts. “Forever our Minjeongie.”

“She’s not dorming with Ningning anymore?” Jimin questions as she slows down to a stop.

“Nah, Ning went to China for a little bit, but she came back and moved into her own apartment.” Aeri tells her.

 

Jimin hums as she listens to Aeri. 

 

“Hey, you know, when you left, your mentor replaced you.” Aeri tells her.

“Miss. Bae replaced me—her journalism mentor since freshman year? Jeez, talk about moving on.” Jimin snorts.

“Yeah and it’s Minjeongie!” Aeri beams and Jimin’s heart stutters in her chest.

“What?” She blinks.

“Yeah! She’s interning at your work next week!” Aeri tells her and Jimin tunes out for a couple of seconds.

 

Minjeong.

At my work.

In her little work clothes,

Her cute face—

 

“Aren’t you excited? You’ll have little Minjeong following you around just like back then.” Aeri cackles.

“Ha-ha, yeah. Super excited!” Jimin chuckles awkwardly.

 

 


 

Jimin arrives outside Kim’s house at 8 o’clock sharp. She parks her car and approaches the door, ringing the doorbell like she once did when she was a kid.

 

“I’ll get it!” She hears Mrs. Kim call out.

 

The door swings open and Minjeong’s mother’s eyes widen in surprise.  

 

“Yu Jimin!” She squeals.

 

Jimin bows deeply and stands back up with a smile.

 

“Good morning, Mrs. Kim.” Jimin greets.

“Yah, you’re so formal! It’s eomma!” Taeyeon pulls her into a hug and squeezes the life out of her. “I haven’t seen you in so long; you’re so beautiful!”

“You’re still forever beautiful as well, Eomoni.” Jimin chuckles, patting the short woman’s back affectionately.

 

Taeyeon pulls away and looks at Jimin from head to toe.

 

“Are you headed to work? What are you doing here?” Taeyeon asks.

“Minjeong’s interning at my work. I’m training her.” Jimin tells her.

“Oh my, that’s wonderful!” Taeyeon beams.

 

She turns in the direction of the upstairs and pulls Jimin into the house.

 

“Yah, Kim Minjeong! Come downstairs!” Taeyeon shouts.

“Coming!” Minjeong’s voice follows.

 

Minjeong trots downstairs, her right hand at her left wrist as she clasps her wristwatch onto it.

 

Jimin’s mouth parts and she watches in slow motion as Minjeong descends the stairs. She’s been around Minjeong long enough and usually only sees her in casual clothes, but seeing Minjeong with her hair tied back, wearing a dress shirt tucked into slacks—Jimin’s heart thumps against her chest.

 

“What are you doing here?” Minjeong blinks.

“Yah, that’s so rude.” Taeyeon smacks Minjeong and she pouts as Jimin smiles.

“You’re working with me, if you’ve forgotten.” Jimin tells her.

“I know, but like here, here .” Minjeong asks, slipping on her shoes.

“I thought it’d be nice if I took you to work, since we’re going to be together for the next three months.” Jimin tells her and Minjeong’s eyes widen slightly at Jimin’s suggestion.

 

In truth, after confessing to Jimin and sending her off to Paris, Minjeong really didn’t account for how their relationship would be after she came back. It’s a bit awkward, but Jimin's trying and it warms Minjeong’s heart.

 

“Oh.” Minjeong blushes.

“Jimin darling, that is so lovely.” Taeyeon coos. “Isn’t your unnie so nice?”

“Yup.” Minjeong grins wryly. “Anyways, we have to go. I love you, mum. Bye!”

 

Minjeong grabs her jacket off the chair and takes her bag as she dashes out the door.

 

“Aish, that girl.” Taeyeon shakes her head and Jimin smiles.

“We’ll be off, Eomoni.” Jimin bows.

“Make sure to come home after; I’ll cook dinner.” Taeyeon pats Jimin’s shoulder.

“We will.” Jimin nods before leaving.

 

The door closes and Jimin finds Minjeong already sitting in the passenger seat, fiddling with the radio.

 

“Unnie, hurry; I still want to get breakfast!” Minjeong whines and Jimin grins.

 

It seems like nothing has changed.





 

After stopping at a nearby drive-thru to pick up breakfast, Jimin drives the two of them to work, watching Minjeong eat from the corner of her eye.

 

“Crap.” Minjeong curses.

 

Jimin slows to the red light and she peers over to check up on Minjeong.

 

“What happened?” Jimin asks.

I've got sauce on my jacket.” Minjeong whines as she holds up the jacket she’s been using to warm her legs.

 

Jimin blinks and finds herself looking down at a familiar blue jacket.

 

“That’s my jacket.” Jimin’s surprised.

“It’s been mine for four years.” Minjeong shrugs. “It’s my favourite jacket.”

“Because you never gave it back to me, and is it your favourite jacket because it’s nice or because it’s mine?” Jimin raises a brow and Minjeong smiles brightly.

“No comment.” Minjeong shrugs innocently.

“Do you want me to wash it and give it back to you so it smells like me?” Jimin asks and Minjeong blushes.

“It’s not my favourite jacket because it smells like you!” Minjeong deflects and Jimin chuckles.

“I know you, Minjeong Baby.” Jimin grins. “So yes or no?”

“Yes please.” Minjeong grumbles, feeling very embarrassed.

“Thought so.” Jimin snorts and Minjeong huffs indignantly.

 

Jimin parks in her reserved spot and turns off the ignition of the car.

 

“If it makes you uncomfortable, you can tell me if you don’t want me driving you to work starting tomorrow.” Jimin tells Minjeong. “It’s your first day, so I want to coach you properly.”
“Yeah, it’s giving a bit of nepotism.” Minjeong nods. “They’ll think I only got here because of you.”

“So, I want to make ground rules for us so that you’re comfortable.” Jimin says and Minjeong nods. “Okay, you can’t call me Unnie at work, just Sunbae.”
“That’s so weird.” Minjeong shudders. “I didn’t even call you Sunbae in high school.”
Well, it’s work, so you’re going to have to, Minjeong-ssi.” Jimin grins.

“My insides are crying right now.” Minjeong grimaces at the distance they’ve just created.

“It’s for your own good.” Jimin chuckles, resisting the urge to mess up Minjeong’s hair.

“Come on, let’s go.” Jimin leaves the car.




 

Minjeong watches Jimin descend down the halls of the company and it’s reminiscent of their high school days. Jimin walks confidently and her heels clack against the tiled floors as she oozes with superiority. Minjeong follows closely behind, not wanting to miss out on her steps behind Minjeong.

 

They stop at an office room where other heads are closely glued to screens.

 

“Team.” Jimin speaks and everyone rises quickly.

“Assistant manager, Jimin!” Someone greets.

 

Jimin turns to Minjeong.

 

“This is our intern for the next three months and she will be working closely with our team. Please train her well alongside me.” Jimin tells them and she turns to Minjeong, smiling encouragingly.

“Good morning, I’m Kim Minjeong.” Minjeong bows deeply. 

“Good morning!” The team greets back.

“That will be all.” Jimin nods as she turns away to head in the direction of her office. “Ah, wait.” She turns around. “Shin, please have the written articles on the galleries in my office asap.”

“Yep!” A girl with short hair and whisper dimples grins.

 

She turns back to Minjeong.

 

“Follow me.” She says and Minjeong nods.

 

Jimin leads Minjeong into a smaller office beside the other deskmates and she closes the door and tells Minjeong to sit on the chair in front of her desk. 

 

“Unnie, you have your own office?” Minjeong speaks quietly with a childish grin and Jimin sighs with a smile. “You never told me you were an assistant manager.”

“I only got promoted recently.” Jimin tells her. “Hence why my office is still a mess.” She gestures to the piles of reports and art not yet hung up on the walls.

 

Jimin sits down at her desk and opens her drawer, pulling out a lanyard.

 

“Here, this is yours.” Jimin hands it to her. “I made it for you.”

 

Minjeong puts it on and looks down at the card.

 

Kim Minjeong

      Intern

   Marketing 

 

“When did you have time to make this for me?” Minjeong chuckles and Jimin’s ears burn.

“I just wanted to. I was free.” Jimin shrugs.

“So, what do you have for me today, boss?” Minjeong grins.

“I want you to get familiar with the team first and tell me if they bully you.” Jimin says.

“Bully me?” Minjeong’s eyes widen.

“Not literally, but my team is very close to each other.” Jimin tries explaining. “They can be a bit... overbearing? At times, so just tell me and I’ll deal with them.”

“O–okay.” Minjeong nods.

 

A knock on the office glass door gains their attention and it opens.

 

“Boss, here are the reports you asked for.” The girl from earlier comes in with a stack of papers.

“Ah, this is Shin Ryujin, our graphics designer.” Jimin introduces them.

“Nice to meet you!” Minjeong beams, eagerly reaching a hand out.

“Nice to meet you, cutie.” Ryujin winks as she takes Minjeong’s hand, catching the younger girl off guard. 

“Ryujin.” Jimin says sternly and the girl retreats, grinning sheepishly.

“Minjeong-ssi, you will be going through these reports and finding ways they can be improved and changed.” Jimin instructs Minjeong. “Ryujin will lead you to your desk. Dismissed, and leave the door open.”

“Ne~” Minjeong bows before leaving the office with Ryujin.

 

Ryujin takes Minjeong to the cubicle closest to Jimin’s office.

 

“You’re right beside me, so if you need anything, I’m your girl.” Ryujin grins and Minjeong nods shyly.

“Thank you.” Minjeong nods.

 

A chair rolls out beside them, and a girl with long black hair, round eyes, and glasses perched on her nose smiles at her.

 

“Hi, I’m Huh Yunjin!” She greets. “This idiot can’t help you much, so ask me instead.”

“Hey!” Ryujin pouts.

“Am I wrong?” Yunjin snorts. “All you do is ogle at Yeji and hope she’ll like you back.”

“Meanie.” Ryujin grumbles.

“Yeji?” Minjeong questions.

“Hwang Yeji, she works with my girlfriend, Chaewon, on the other side in finance!” Yunjin tells them.

Oh, that’s nice; everyone in the company is pretty close.” Minjeong smiles.

“That’s why I love working here and Manager-nim Jimin will warm up to you in no time.” Yunjin assures her.

 

Only if they knew— Minjeong thinks.

 

“Anyways, we’ll leave you to it!” Ryujin grins.

“We’ll bother you again when it’s break time.” Yunjin smiles warmly.

“Thanks guys.” Minjeong beams. 

 

Minjeong settles into her desk in no time, logging into the computer and leaving it idle as she begins to go through the reports with a bright highlighter in hand.

 

Time goes by fast and suddenly it’s one in the afternoon and Ryujin pops over to Minjeong’s desk.

 

“It’s break time, Minjeong-ssi.” Ryujin says and Minjeong blinks.

“Already?” Minjeong looks at her wristwatch and indeed it is.

“Yup. Come on, we’ll introduce you to the rest of the team!” Ryujin grabs Minjeong’s wrist and drags her over to the break room.

 

“Coffee?” Yunjin asks by the coffee machine.

“Ah, no, I’m okay.” Minjeong shakes her head politely.

“Here, have this. It’s amazing!” Ryujin hands her a sweet bread, packaged in a pink wrapper.

“O—oh, thanks.” Minjeong smiles uneasily, feeling slightly overwhelmed.

“Relax; you’re going to scare the poor girl away.” A man says and Minjeong’s eyes flit to him. “I’m Chan.”

“Minjeong, nice to meet you.” Minjeong nods to him and he does too.

 

Minjeong then notices a man behind him, sitting at the table.

 

“That’s Minho.” Chan points to him. “He’s a bit hangry, so he won’t speak until he’s eaten.”

 

Minho nods to Minjeong and she nods awkwardly.

 

“Sorry, we’re just excited to have an intern after so long.” Ryujin pouts. 

“Yeah, the president only takes interns occasionally and you’re like the third in the last decade.” Yunjin says.

“How does my mentor know the president, anyway?” Minjeong asks.
“Rumour has it, our boss Kang Seulgi and your mentor, Bae Joohyun, are in cahoots.” Ryujin whispers loudly and Minjeong blinks.

“They’re married.” Chan answers.

“Oh. That’s cool.” Minjeong nods.

 

“I hope you’re not picking on the intern.” A stern voice startles them all and they all turn abruptly to see the intruder.

“Boss! You’re out of the office?” Chan blinks.

“For the first time in centuries?” Ryujin blinks.

“You’re alive!” Yunjin gasps dramatically.

“Ha-ha. Amusing.” Jimin rolls her eyes as she walks over to the kettle and pours herself tea.

 

Minjeong watches Jimin silently, weirdly attracted to how different Jimin is at work.

 

“Minjeong-ssi?” Jimin calls, her back turned to Minjeong. “Tea?”

Yes, please, un— sunbae!” Minjeong stutters, her cheeks growing red at her slip up. “Sunbae.” 

 

Jimin’s ears burn red as she prepares tea for the both of them.

 

The chatter ceases and Jimin finds it odd. She turns around with two cups of tea in hand and hands one over to Minjeong before staring down at her coworkers.

 

“Why did the talking stop?” Jimin raises a brow.

“Well, we just haven’t seen you out of the office in so long, boss.” Chan chuckles awkwardly.

“Am I making the atmosphere uncomfortable?” Jimin questions.

“No way!” Ryujin latches onto her arm. “Please stay, Unnie!”

 

Minjeong blinks at Ryujin’s sudden clinginess to Jimin.

 

“Ryujin, we’re in a professional setting right now.” Jimin looks at her pointedly and Ryujin lets go. Jimin’s eyes flit to Minjeong and she’s slightly amused by Minjeong’s slight pout.

“Stop pretending to be a big boss in front of the intern.” Minho snorts. “You’re a giant softie.”

“Fine.” Jimin rolls her eyes, her shoulders sagging slightly at her failed attempt to be cool in front of Minjeong.

“Hey, Minjeong, how old are you, by the way?” Ryujin asks.

“I’m twenty-one this year.” Minjeong answers.

“Oh! We’re all older than you!” Ryujin grins. “You’re our maknae!”

“Everyone’s older?” Minjeong blinks.

“Yup!” Ryujin nods. 

“Aw, you’re our baby now.” Yunjin coos and Jimin frowns slightly. “Don’t worry, we’ll take care of you very well.”

 

Minho takes notice of Jimin’s quick changing expressions.

 

“Thank you, guys, seriously.” Minjeong smiles bashfully. “I feel so welcomed.”

 

Soon, everyone finishes work and clocks out, but Minjeong notices that the light in Jimin’s office is still on and she’s still in there working.

 

“Minjeong-ssi, you’re not going yet?” Chan asks and Minjeong tears her eyes away from Jimin’s office quickly.

“Ah, no, I’m almost done with this. I’ll be out soon.” Minjeong chuckles nervously.

“Alright, well, Minho and I will be out. See you tomorrow!” Chan bids her goodbye and she does too.

“See you!”

 

Minjeong waits until everyone leaves, then gets up and knocks on Jimin’s office.

 

“Come in.” Jimin’s voice echoes.

 

Minjeong pushes open the door and finds Jimin swamped behind her laptop and piles of reports as she organises them into folders. Minjeong smiles softly at the sight of Jimin’s glasses perched at her nose, knowing Jimin hated wearing glasses when she first got them in high school.

 

“You haven’t gone home yet?” Jimin asks.

“I wanted to go home with you.” Minjeong shrugs.

“I’ll be done in a second.” Jimin tells her, standing up as she opens a file cabinet and puts a few documents into it. “You should’ve gone home first; your mum cooked dinner.”

“She told us both to come eat.” Minjeong says. “Plus, I’d rather you drive me home than take the bus.”
“Fair enough.” Jimin chuckles as she shuts off her computer. She takes her jacket and her bag and turns off the light in her office. “Come on now.”

 

Minjeong lulls in and out of sleep when Jimin drives them back home and Jimin tries her best to keep her eyes on the road, even though her eyes keep straying over to the passenger seat.

 

“Minjeong-ah.” Jimin shakes Minjeong awake.

“Hm?” Minjeong croaks.

“You’re home.” Jimin tells her and Minjeong rubs her eyes as she stirs awake.

“I’m so hungry.” Minjeong groans and Jimin smiles softly.

 

Jimin decides to withhold the information that she drove around the streets three times to let Minjeong rest for a while.

 

“Mum, we’re home!” Minjeong calls out as she unlocks the door.

“I’m in the kitchen!” Taeyeon responds. 

“Okay!” She answers, taking her shoes off.

 

Jimin follows and puts her jacket and bag on the hanger next to the door.

 

“I’m gonna go shower.” Minjeong tells Jimin.
“Okay. I’ll be here.” Jimin tells her.

 

Minjeong shuffles upstairs and Jimin rolls up her sleeves as she enters the kitchen.

 

“Jimin!” Taeyeon beams. “Where’s Minjeongie?”

“She headed up to shower.” Jimin tells her. “Can I help with anything?”

“You don’t have to! You just finished work, dear,” Taeyeon says. “Sit down and relax.”

“But I’ll feel restless.” Jimin grins.

“Fine, fine. Since I asked you what you wanted for dinner, you can help make some of it.” Taeyeon caves.

 

Jimin beams and happily works alongside Taeyeon as she seasons the steamed vegetables and sears the grilled salmon to perfection.

 

“Dinner’s ready!”

 

Minjeong’s done with her shower by the time they’re done cooking and setting up the table.

 

“Is Abeojii still on his business trip?” Jimin asks as she places the cutlery down.

“He’s in the U.S. for the next couple of days.” Taeyeon answers.

“This is amazing!” Minjeong gasps at the appetising dinner.

“Thanks to Jiminie.” Taeyeon beams and Jimin’s ears redden.

“Thanks, Unnie.” Minjeong grins cutely and Jimin smiles too.

“You’re welcome.”

 

They sit down and eat together as they share conversations and laughs throughout the dinner.

 

“I’ll excuse myself to the bathroom.” Jimin says once she’s finished dinner.

“Shout if you need anything!” Taeyeon tells her as Jimin runs upstairs.

 

Minjeong gathers the dishes and helps her mother at the sink.

 

“Did I do good with Jimin’s favourite dish?” Taeyeon asks her daughter. “She seemed to like it.”

“This isn’t Jimin-Unnie’s favourite dish.” Minjeong blinks. 

“What? But she messaged me and said grilled salmon and steamed vegetables sound good. She said it was the best.” Taeyeon blinks.

“It’s my favourite.” Minjeong says. “Jimin-Unnie’s favourite is tonkatsu.”

“Huh. That’s strange.” And then it clicked in Taeyeon’s mind. 

 

“Oh.” Taeyeon hums.

“What?” Minjeong asks as she scrubs the plate in her hand.

“Does Jimin like you?” Taeyeon asks and the plate slips from Minjeong’s hand.

“W—what?” She scrambles as she grabs onto the plate to stop it from clattering against the sink.

“I mean, she came here early to take you to work; she told me to cook your favourite when I asked for hers; and she’s taken care of you for a long time.” Taeyeon shrugs. “She must like you.”

“N–no way.” Minjeong blushes and Taeyeon notices.

“And you like her too.” Taeyeon grins. “I’m on point, right?”

“Can we not discuss this when she can come down here at any moment?” Minjeong whines.

“So you do like her!” Taeyeon grins with triumph.

“Stop it.” Minjeong grits her teeth. “She’s Aeri-Unnie’s best friend and I’m practically her little sister. It’s a no go zone, mum.”

“Who says so?” Taeyeon scoffs. “If anything, I think Jimin is the perfect match for you.”

 

Minjeong sighs—she thinks so too.



 

“Drive home safe.” Minjeong tells Jimin.

“I will.” Jimin nods. “I’ll be back here at the same time tomorrow.”

“Okay.” Minjeong responds. “Make sure to wash my jacket and bring it back.”

“You mean my jacket.” Jimin smirks and Minjeong rolls her eyes.

“What’s yours is mine at this point. We’ve known each other for too long.” She says.

“Okay, Minjeong Baby.” Jimin chuckles.

“Bye now.” Minjeong shoos her away.

“Okay, okay.” Jimin laughs at Minjeong’s hurriedness to get rid of her. 

 

Jimin goes home with a warmer heart and she dreams of Minjeong.



 



 

Over the course of Minjeong’s internship at Jimin’s work, their coworkers start to grow suspicious of Jimin and Minjeong. Minjeong, who has warmed up to  everyone and become best buddies with the rest of the team, seems to be on icy turf with their assistant manager.

 

Jimin barely spares her a glance and Minjeong doesn’t either.

 

They both call each other formally, unlike the rest of the team.

 

Yunjin’s foot is near the breakroom one late evening when she halts her steps and backtracks, hearing voices in the breakroom from around the corner.

 

Unnie! Please!” 

I said no. You asked for that last week already.”

 

Yunjin peaks through the translucent glass window and sees their assistant manager, Jimin, and Minjeong standing close by near the snack counter.

 

“But I’m craving ice cream.” Minjeong pouts.

“You can’t eat ice cream after work.” Jimin sighs. “We have to have dinner first.”

“Please? I won’t ask for it next week.” Minjeong pulls her signature puppy eyes and even after years of knowing Minjeong, Jimin caves again.

“...Fine.” Jimin sighs.

“Yes!” Minjeong pounces on Jimin and hugs her tightly.

“Calm down, Minjeong Baby.” Jimin chuckles, patting Minjeong's head affectionately.

 

Yunjin’s eyes widen, and she runs back to her desk.

 

Minjeong emerges first and returns to her desk, and Jimin returns to her office.

 

“Holy .” She exhales.

“What?” Minho, her deskmate, overhears.

“I just saw something mind-blowing,” Yunjin says.

“Tell me, tell me!” Ryujin pops over.

“What is it?” Minjeong blinks and Yunjin pauses.

“Uh… my favourite band’s coming here.” Yunjin covers up her tracks and Ryujin deflates.

“Oh, cool!” Minjeong says. “Who is it?”

“Um.. le… Le Sserafim? Yeah, they’re super underground.” Yunjin’s neck burns as she lies.

“I’ve never heard of them, but I hope you get tickets!” Minjeong grins and Yunjin smiles at the younger girl’s adorable nature.

“Yup. I hope I will too.” Yunjin chuckles nervously.

 

Jimin opens her office door.

 

“Minjeong-ssi?” She calls and Minjeong stands right up.

“Yes, sunbae?” Minjeong blinks and Jimin imagines a tail wagging behind her cutely.

“Come in for a second.” Jimin tells her. “I need extra hands.”

“Okay.” Minjeong nods, leaving her desk and going over to Jimin’s office.

 

Yunjin watches closely as the doors close with a resounding click.

 

“Okay, I lied; the mind-blowing news is definitely mind-blowing.” Yunjin says.

 

Ryujin rolls her chair over.

 

“Spill,” Ryujin tells her.

“You better not be talking crap about Minjeong, who just coincidentally left.” Chan warns them like a teacher.

“It’s not crap talk. It’s important talk.” Yunjin says.

 

Yunjin takes a deep breath and opens to speak:

 

“It’s about our assistant manager and the intern.” 

 

Except the words don’t come from Yunjin’s mouth, but Minho’s instead.

 

“What? You saw too?” Yunjin’s eyes widen.

“They’re too obvious.” Minho’s eyes remain glued to his monitor as he speaks monotonously. “While you guys have been theorising about their indifference and gazes for beef, I’ve been seeing a secret relationship.”

“What did you see, Yun?” Ryujin leans over.

“Okay, so I was going to the break room to get my daily coffee when I saw Minjeong and Jimin standing right up against each other.” Yunjin details. “Minjeong was being her usual cute puppy self, except her aegyo was like on level a hundred and she called Jimin Unnie!”

“No way!’ Ryujin guffaws.

“Really?” Chan chimes in. “I mean—uh, get back to work.”

“Shut up.” Ryujin tells him before turning back to Yunjin. “Tell me more!”

“Boss was being all mushy too; she called her baby and they even hugged for a super long time!” Yunjin exclaims.

“Jimin also drives Minjeong to work and they go home together.” Minho adds in.

“No freaking way!” 

 

In all the hardworking years working alongside Jimin, none of the coworkers actually knew enough details about their assistant manager. Jimin was less rowdy and more reserved than her team, choosing to listen and stay behind rather than jump in with them. 

 

Jimin also rarely shared personal information and showed no sign of being in a relationship or even of hooking up with someone. She didn’t even have framed pictures on her desk, which really made her team incredibly curious after knowing each other for so long and growing close like family.

 

“That’s also Jimin’s jacket hanging from Minjeong’s chair.” Minho says—not even looking.

“How do you know?” Ryujin blinks.

“She showed us a picture of her in high school playing soccer and she was wearing that same blue jacket,” Minho says.

“You know, you should be a detective at this point.” Chnan says and Minho shrugs.

“This is crazy—”

 

The resounding sound of the clicking noise of Jimin’s office door alerts them and everyone scrambles and glues their eyes to their monitors, as if they had been working the whole time.

 

Minjeong exits Jimin’s office with a pile of papers and she sits down at her desk, continuing to fold them into brochures.

 

Yunjin leans over Minjeong’s desk.

 

“Hey, bestie~” Yunjin drags out the ‘e’ vowel uncomfortably long.

“Yes, bestie?” Minjeong copies her.

“Quick question, serious question, and kind of invasive, but whatever,” Yunjin chuckles strangely as she debates whether or not to swerve the conversation elsewhere instead of being stupidly direct. “I mean, you don’t have to answer or anything, even if I’m dying to know, but—”

“Are you and Jimin dating?”

 

Again, the words are taken right out of Yunjin’s mouth and run out of Minho’s nonchalant mouth.

 

“What?” Minjeong’s eyes widen as her face flushes red.

“Well, we’ve just been noticing that you and boss are kind of secretly chummy.” Yunjin grins sheepishly.

“Like she makes tea for you,” Ryujin says.

“You wear her jacket,” Minho adds.

“She called you baby and you call her unnie,” Ryujin adds.

“And you guys go to and from work together—dang it!” Chan curses. 

 

Minjeong’s face burns—wishing Jimin was out here to experience this as well.

 

“N–no way! We’re not dating!” Minjeong shakes her head.

“Then what’s going on?” Ryujin asks.

“To be perfectly honest,” Minjeong says, clearing from the embarrassing interrogation. “Jimin-Unnie and I knew each other before I began my internship, but she didn’t get me this job, fyi.”

“Okay, tell us.” Ryujin nods.

“We grew up together. She’s my sister’s best friend.” Minjeong tells them.

“Oh!” They all chorus.

 

“But you guys are like super close, like a couple kind of close?” Yunjin pouts and Minjeong blushes again.

“W—we’re just close, that’s all.” She swallows.

“Oh, I’m sensing some feelings.” Ryujin grins and Minjeong shakes her head.

“Nope, nothing, nada.” Minjeong shakes her head.

“Well, anyway,” Yunjin laughs awkwardly. “We're super sorry for springing that on you, and we’re glad to meet someone in boss’ life.”


 

Minjeong is still mortified when she walks out to Jimin’s car and slides into the passenger seat.

 

“Why do you look like you’ve seen a ghost?” Jimin asks as she starts up the car.

“Nothing. I just got grilled like no tomorrow by the team.” Minjeong sighs, her body deflating.

“Why?” Jimin chuckles.

“They found out that we know each other.” Minjeong says. “We’re not as discreet as you think we are.”

“I wasn’t trying to be.” Jimin shrugs and Minjeong blinks, surprised. “I just kind of gave up later on. I didn’t mind if they knew I was close to you. I just didn’t want them to think I got you this position.”

“Well, they don’t.” Minjeong says quietly, her mind and reddening cheeks hung up on Jimin’s words.

“Well, let’s get your ice cream.” Jimin begins to drive.

 

They stop at an ice cream parlour and sit at a booth as they share a large sundae.

 

Minjeong gets a phone call and answers it in front of Jimin.

 

“Oh, hey, Jisung!” Minjeong beams and Jimin stares at her pointedly. “Yeah, I’m fine!”

 

“Oh, what? Seriously!”

“No way!”

 

Jimin listens in on their exchange and grows a bit petty, stabbling mercilessly at the ice cream.

 

“Okay, bye!” Minjeong ends the call and finds Jimin glaring at her; she startles slightly.

“Unnie?” Minjeong blinks.

“Are you dating him again?” Jimin asks.

“What?” Minjeong frowns. “No, why would you think that? He’s dating Ningning.” 

 

Jimin blinks, ears burning red and Minjeong notices.

 

“Well, Aeri saw you guys out one time and we bumped into you two at that convenience store that one time…” Jimin prods at her ice cream, looking away. “So, we just kind of assumed?”

“Unnie.” Minjeong smiles and Jimin looks at her.

“What?” Jimin blinks.

“Were you jealous?” Minjeong grins.

“What? No way!” Jimin scowls.

“Liar.” Minjeong says.

“I’m not jealous.” Jimin grumbles. “That’s childish.”

“You’re acting a bit childish right now.” Minjeong grins, amused by her unnie.

Well, I’m going to do an adult thing and go pay for the ice cream.” Jimin huffs, sliding out of the booth.

 

When Jimin returns from the cash register, she finds a tall figure leaning over at the table she was just sitting at. She sees a man leaning over Minjeong, who seems uncomfortable.

 

“Just your number, darling.” He says this, and Minjeong shrinks, trying to find an escape.

“I’m not interested, thanks.” Minjeong smiles awkwardly.

“C’mon, don’t play hard to get.” He says it, and Jimin’s blood boils.

 

She stalks over and pulls his arm away from leaning on the table.

 

“Excuse me, but my girlfriend and I have to head home.” Jimin says, grabbing onto Minjeong’s hand and pulling her up. Minjeong intertwines their hands and grips Jimin’s hand firmly.

“My bad, I didn’t know she was taken…” He grumbles and turns in the other direction.

 

Jimin doesn’t let go of Minjeong as they leave the parlour.

 

“Stupid men…” Jimin grumbles under her breath. “You’re too beautiful for your own good, Minjeong-ah; everyone wants to take you away from me.”

 

Usually, Minjeong would blush at these comments and swoon, but for some reason, a switch flips in her and she caves in on herself. She stops and pulls her hand away from Jimin’s.

 

“Minjeong?” Jimin pauses as she turns around and looks at Minjeong curiously. “What’s wrong?”

“I don’t think we should keep doing this.” She says this, and Jimin frowns slightly.

“Doing what?” Jimin asks.

“This back and forth thing we do.” Minjeong swallows, looking at the ground. “You say I’m yours and do all these gestures to keep me safe, and I’m really grateful, but—”

 

She runs her hand through her short hair frustratedly.

 

“I just—” Minjeong sighs, dropping her hand out of frustration. “All this teasing and flirting, it makes me confused. It makes me confused because, after my confession, I can’t tell if you’re just taking the piss out of me. Am I a joke to you?”

“Minjeong, no—why would you think that?” Jimin frowns. “I take you very seriously—you’re important to me. I just thought we were just having fun being around each other like we were younger.”

“No, I  know that—I get that, but...” Minjeong swallows. “I just still really, really, really like you, unnie. I don’t know what to do when you’re confusing me like this. Have you changed at all? Is everyone right? Are you just playing around again?”

“No, I said I'd changed and I have. I can’t believe you would think that of me.” Jimin frowns.

“I don’t think that, unnie. I don’t want to think that.” Minjeong sighs. “But can you blame me?”

 

Jimin finds themselves going in circles, back and forth—leading nowhere—and she finally has enough. Minjeong’s changed her for the better over the years and she can’t hold back for the rest of her life. Minjeong is a part of her life and there’s nothing that could change her place.

 

“I like you, Kim Minjeong.” She confesses candidly. “I like you so much that you’re all I’ve ever thought about for the past few years, and it kills me that you're Aeri’s little sister.”

“W—what?” Minjeong blinks. “You—you like me back?” 

“I have. I have for a very long time, but nothing can happen.” Jimin says.

“Why not? We’re not kids anymore.” Minjeong sighs. “Why are you telling me this now if you don’t want anything to happen? Why after all these years if you didn’t want something?”

“Because I can’t keep holding back. You’ve always been a constant presence in my life, Minjeong-ah.” Jimin says. “I can’t lose you, but I can’t ruin this either.”

 

Minjeong stands there helplessly and Jimin grows helpless too. They’re two people in love and the whole world stops spinning just for them, yet after all this time, there is always something holding them back.

 

“Answer me this. If I weren’t Aeri-Unnie’s little sister, would it change what we are now? What would you do?” Minjeong asks boldly.

 

Jimin’s heart doesn’t stutter this time, but it beats loudly in her ears and rattles all her bones. This is a chance for change and Jimin debates in her loud mind whether or not she should act on her feelings.

 

With Minjeong standing across from her, glowing like a shooting star—

 

Her mind quiets down and she moves.

 

“Yes. I’d do this.” Jimin steps forward boldly, tugs Minjeong into her and kisses her soundly.

 

She cups Minjeong’s face in her hands, gently caressing her jaw with one of her hands, and Minjeong grows slack in Jimin’s hold.

 

Minjeong breathes in Jimin like her daily oxygen and curls a hand around her neck, pulling her closer.

 

Jimin pulls away, her forehead resting against Minjeong’s as her hands travel to rest at her hips.

 

Minjeong swallows, her lips. “Wow.”

“I like you so much it kills me, Minjeong-ah.” Jimin closes her eyes briefly.

“Why can’t this happen if it feels so good?” Minjeong asks quietly and Jimin smiles softly.

 

She feels the words on her tongue— I’m sorry— but Jimin decides against it.

 

“I don’t think I want to be sorry for kissing you.” Jimin admits it softly and Minjeong grins.

“Good.” She leans up and kisses Jimin this time.