The beginning before the end

Walkin' out the door with your bags (JMJ)

 

Minjeong’s four and freshly woken up from her nap when she’s behind her mother’s legs, clutching onto the fabric of her pants as they stand in front of the door.

 

“Aeri-ah, you’re home from school?” Her mum calls sweetly. “Oh, you brought someone home?”

“Hello! I’m Yu Jimin!” She bows deeply.

 

Minjeong peeks from behind her mother and sees a tall girl for being seven years old. Her hair is tied in a ponytail and she has bangs clipped to the sides. She has a bright grin and warm cat-like eyes and carries a small soccer ball in one hand, and in the other, she holds Aeri’s hand.

 

“She’s my best friend!” Aeri beams.

 

Minjeong’s four and Jimin’s seven when they officially meet.



 



 

“Minjeong, your shoelaces are untied.” Jimin says as she walks past Aeri and Minjeong waiting at the bus station.

“What? I swear I tied them!” Minjeong whines. She’s carrying her sport uniform and sport shoes in a bag, and her backpack is weighing on her back. She wonders how she’ll tie her shoes.

“Aw, our Minjeongie is still a baby.” Aeri coos.

“Unnie!” Minjeong whines.

 

Jimin chuckles before she ducks down to a knee and ties Minjeong’s shoelace. Minjeong tries to look down but all she sees is Jimin standing up with a smile.

 

“You’re welcome, Minjeong Baby.” Jimin’s lips curl into a teasing grin and Minjeong’s cheeks flare red.

 

The bus comes to a stop in front of them and everyone boards it.

 

Aeri sits in front next to Somi and Minjeong looks around for a seat, slightly intimidated by the kids starting high school. She sees Jimin further back, leaning against the window seat with her eyes closed. She walks up to her and pokes her.

 

Jimin opens one eye and looks at Minjeong. She sighs before getting up.

 

“Where are you going?” Minjeong blinks.

“Sit on the inside. I don’t want you falling out.” Jimin says curtly.

“Oh.” Minjeong blushes, taking a seat.

 

Minjeong accommodates Jimin and squishes right up against the window, placing her sports bag on the floor and her backpack in her lap.

 

“Are you scared for high school?” Minjeong asks Jimin. The older girl leans back in her seat and turns to Minjeong with a smile.

“Why are you worried about me?” Jimin’s smile curls annoyingly and Minjeong grumbles.

“You’re so annoying.” Minjeong huffs.

“I’m kidding, I’m kidding.” Jimin snickers. “I’m pretty relaxed. I already know I’ll make friends, so I’m not worried.”

“That’s nice.” Minjeong ponders. “I don’t think I could have that mindset in three years.”

“You’ll be fine. You’re cute.” Jimin tells her. “Aeri and I will take care of you and get you on your feet before we graduate. Aren’t you lucky to have two unnies?”
“Yeah, yeah…” Minjeong huffs quietly.

 

The bus begins to slow down near the primary school, and Jimin gets out of her seat and lets Minjeong off. 

 

“Bye, unnie.” Minjeong turns to prepare to go, but Jimin tugs her back.

“Wait at the back gate.” Jimin tells her. “Aeri told me we’re coming to pick you up.”
“O-okay.” Minjeong nods before leaving.

 

Jimin sits back in her seat and she smiles softly.

 

Minjeong waves to Aeri quickly at the front of the bus before hopping off. She catches Jimin’s gaze through the last second at the window and she beams, waving enthusiastically.

 

Minjeong is ten and Jimin is thirteen when Minjeong first develops a crush.



 



 

Minjeong is a romantic, even though she’s thirteen and has an incredible lack of experience. She’s seen people around her fall in love in movies, books, comics, and just about everywhere else. Her parents are much in love and Aeri seems to be doing well too, since she’s been confessed to a lot and goes on dates often.

 

Aeri’s best friend, Jimin, whom she may or may not have a crush on, seems to get a lot of confessions too, but Minjeong rarely sees her with anyone. Jimin usually only plays soccer, hangs out with her and Aeri, and reads books with Minjeong.

 

Minjeong thinks Jimin could be her beginning, just maybe if she still wasn’t thirteen. 

 

Jimin sees her as a little sister and Minjeong hopes she can change that image when she’s older.





 

Jimin is running laps and practising drills with her soccer team when she spots a figure curled into a familiar blue jacket near the top of the bleachers.

 

Jimin bumps right into one of her teammates. Her eyes widen when she realises it’s her senior of two years.

 

“So sorry! I wasn’t looking!” Jimin bows and her senior chuckles heartily.

“Yah, we’ve been teammates since you joined freshman year. It’s been three years; don’t be so awkward.” Their captain, Jihyo, grins.

“Sorry.” Jimin chuckles and Jihyo ruffles Jimin’s hair, even if the younger girl is taller than her.

“Once I graduate, I know the captain position will go to you.” Jihyo tells her.

“I won’t disappoint you, captain.” Jimin beams.

 

They continue to jog around the field and Jimin’s eyes keep straying to the spot at the bleachers.

 

“Is that your girlfriend? Why are you staring so hard?” Jihyo nudges her and her eyes widen. 

“N-no! It’s Aeri’s little sister!” Jimin sputters and Jihyo snickers, and she begins to laugh as she clutches her stomach.

“You should've seen your face! You’re so adorable, Yu Jimin!” Jihyo guffaws and Jimin’s ears burn red.  

“Sunbae…” Jimin whines.

“Relax. It’s been long anyway; I’ll stop practice here today.” Jihyo pats her shoulder. “Go on to her. We’ve done enough today.”

 

Jihyo rallies the team together and calls off practice as the sun begins to set.

 

Jimin jogs up to Minjeong and sees her bag at Minjeong’s feet.

 

“Are you wearing my jacket?” Jimin asks and Minjeong’s head perks up.

“Unnie!” Minjeong grins and Jimin doesn’t refuse to ruffle the younger girl’s hair.

“What are you doing here with my jacket?” Jimin asks her with a gentle smile.

“It’s cold, sorry.” Minjeong tells her. “And Aeri told me to go home with you since she’s going on a double date with Somi and some boys. I heard you were meant to go with her.”

“I wasn’t interested.” Jimin shrugs. “Come on, let’s get you home.”

 

Minjeong bounces up like a puppy and it warms Jimin’s soul to be able to witness such an endearing sight.

 

“Are you hungry? We can stop somewhere to eat.” Jimin asks Minjeong as they make their way out of the school. Jimin reaches down and intertwines their hands, just in case she loses track of Minjeong.

“Unnie, it’s cute that you still hold my hand even though I’m not four anymore.” Minjeong giggles.

“I was still holding your hand even when you were ten. I’m not letting go; I don’t want to lose you. You’re so small.” Jimin grins.

“I’m not small!” Minjeong whines. “You always say that. I’m only thirteen and you’re already sixteen. Just wait ‘til I catch up to you!”

“Okay, okay.” Jimin chuckles.

 

Jimin looks left and right and tugs back on Minjeong when they’re crossing the roads, and Minjeong giggles at how serious Jimin is.

 

“We can go eat something if you want to, unnie.” Minjeong tells her, swinging their hands back and forth slightly.

“Hm. How does kimchi jjigae sound?” Jimin asks and Minjeong lights up.

 

They stop at a familiar street food stand.

 

“Uncle!” Jimin beams.

“Oh-ho-ho, little Yu!” The middle-aged man chuckles affectionately and reaches out from the stand to pat Jimin’s head.

“Did Halmeoni go home?” Jimin asks about her grandma’s whereabouts.

“She went home earlier with her neighbour that was passing through.” He tells her, “We told her to go home early.”

“Okay.” Jimin nods. “Can we get a serving of Kimchi jjigae and kimbap, please?”

 

Minjeong and Jimin find a seat under the covers and sit at a small table as they face each other. The food comes around and Minjeong digs in immediately. Jimin watches her with affection.

 

“And to think I was the one to suggest stopping to eat.” Jimin scoffs playfully and Minjeong grins with a delighted eye smile.

“It’s so good, unnie.” Minjeong grins.

“I know the recipe, you know.” Jimin tells her and her eyes light up.

“Will you make it for me one day, unnie?” Minjeong asks and Jimin nods.

“When you’re hungry, come over with Aeri.” Jimin tells her.

“Okay!” Minjeong grins.

 

Jimin chuckles before reaching over to tuck Minjeong’s hair behind her ear. The younger girl’s movements stutter for a moment and Jimin doesn’t notice.

 

“Eat quickly; I don’t want you home too late.” Jimin tells Minjeong and she nods earnestly.

 

Minjeong eats quickly as per Jimin’s instructions, and they make it home in time. Jimin drops Minjeong off at the door of Kim’s household.

 

“Unnie.” Minjeong turns back around.

“Hm?” Jimin hums, waiting for Minjeong to go in so she can walk home.

“Hug.” Minjeong asks shyly and Jimin grins. “Aw, is Minjeong baby clingy today?” She teases.

“Unnie.” Minjeong whines.

“Okay, okay.” Jimin steps forward and brings Minjeong into her, squeezing her tightly as they both sway. “Make sure to yell at Aeri for leaving you today,” she tells Minjeong.

“I definitely will.” She sighs into Jimin’s shoulder.

“Okay. I’m going now.” Jimin pats her head.

“Bye, unnie!” Minjeong grins, waving enthusiastically.

 

Jimin nods and gestures with her hand for Minjeong to enter her house. When she sees Minjeong in the house with the door closed, she turns away and walks home to her house a couple streets away, where her grandmother is waiting.



 



 

It’s four years later and Jimin’s in university along with Aeri and some other high school peers they went to school with.

 

In Jimin’s upbringing, she only had one other representation of everlasting love, and that was when her grandma would clean Grandpa’s grave and sing him a sweet melody. Even in the coldest weather, Jimin believes her grandma had the ability to make a place warm.

 

Her parents passed away when she was young, so her grandma raised her for the majority of her life. Jimin likes playing soccer and reading, and she likes hanging out with Aeri and Minjeong.

 

The Kim’s were a representative of love in Jimin’s life too, but Jimin never had the desire to fall in love—plagued by the loss in her family, Jimin would rather not start a family of her own if it starts and ends like this.

 

Minjeong’s a strong believer in love and Jimin thinks it’s starting to rub off on her.

 

She indulges in Minjeong, listening to her lengthy explanations about the plot of her romance manhwas and Jimin listens intently, not ever wanting to stop the younger girl’s train of thought.

 

Someday, Jimin hopes for an everlasting love.

 

For now, she’ll just listen to Minjeong’s explanations, but these days, she’s learning that Minjeong isn't a kid anymore either.





 

Jimin’s in her apartment after moving out of the dorms, and she’s reading a book on her couch with Aeri beside her—feet in Jimin’s lap as she scrolls on her phone.

 

It’s Thursday and Minjeong’s just about to finish school.

 

“Isn’t he cute?” Aeri leans over Jimin’s shoulder and shows her a picture of a boy. 

“For you? He’s pretty alright.” Jimin says this and turns back to her book.

“No, for Minjeong. Look properly; I’m setting her up!” That catches Jimin’s attention.

 

Jimin places her bookmark at the place she was last reading and closes her book. 

 

“Let me see.” She grabs Aeri’s phone, zooms in on the picture and hands the phone back to Aeri. “No, he’s seedy.”

“Seedy? How old are you, and how can you tell he’s seedy from just looking at his picture?” Aeri huffs.

“I don’t need to look; I just know with boys her age,” Jimin says.

“What about him is seedy?” Aeri asks and Jimin thinks of something to say.

“His… his nose is too… too pointy.” Jimin winces mentally at her stupid words.

“You think he’s seedy because of his pointy nose?” Aeri blinks.

“Yes.” Jimin blinks.

“I don’t know why I asked you, to be honest.” Aeri sighs.

 

Jimin rolls her eyes.

 

“How do you even know him?” Jimin asks.

“You know Park Sunghoon in our batch? Jisung is his younger cousin.” Aeri tells her and Jimin nods. “I think he’ll be cute for Minjeongie. He’s a dancer and he knows how to play soccer.”
“I dance and play soccer. He’s not special.” Jimin snorts.

“Shut your face up. Wait, now that I think about it, you said the same thing about Sunghoon when I said I thought he was cute.” Aeri blinks. “You called him seedy because of his nose too and he’s a nice guy, but he’s kind of weird, as in Edward Cullen weird.”

“So I’m right, is that what you're saying?” Jimin smirks.

“You’re so annoying!” Aeri shoves her. “You’re not helping and they’re meeting up on Saturday!”

“You already planned a day?” Jimin’s eyes widen slightly.

“Of course I did! Minjeong agreed.” Aeri says. “Speaking of Minjeong, we need to go shopping with her right now for Saturday. Let’s go pick her up!”






 

“Unnie, mum asks if you want anything specific for dinner; she’s cooking—oh, Jimin-unnie!” Minjeong’s eyes widen when she slides into the passenger seat and catches sight of Jimin sitting in the back seat through the rearview mirror.

“She’s coming with us.” Aeri tells Minjeong.

 

Jimin pouts and Minjeong chuckles as she buckles herself in.

 

“I was roped into this, actually.” Jimin speaks in an unimpressed tone that has Minjeong laughing.

Well, too bad.” Aeri starts the car. “We’re going to help Minjeongie be the most beautiful girl in the world!”

“As if she isn’t already without our help.” Jimin says it offhandedly and Minjeong blushes, making eye contact with Jimin through the rearview mirror.

“Thanks, unnie.” Minjeong says quietly.

“You’re welcome!” Aeri beams. “Now let’s go!”

 

Minjeong is seventeen and Jimin is twenty when Minjeong grows slightly annoyed at the older girl.

 

“It’s too short.” Jimin points at the dress. 

“What? I think she looks amazing!” Aeri exclaims and Minjeong pouts.

“I didn’t say she didn’t look amazing; I said it was too short.” Jimin breathes deeply.

“Fine. Go try this on.” Aeri pushes Minjeong back into the dressing room.

 

Minjeong puts on another dress and does a twirl for her unnies when she comes out.

 

“Too much skin.” Jimin gestures to Minjeong’s bare shoulders and the top half of her back.

Oh, come on! She looks hot!” Aeri whines.

“She’s going on a first date, not clubbing.” Jimin huffs. “Try something else on.”
“Unnie, we’ve been here for more than an hour. My feet hurt.” Minjeong whines softly.
“My back is killing me from standing.” Aeri complains.

“Fine. Go find something to eat or drink; I’ll help Minjeong.” Jimin shoos Aeri away. 

 

She turns back to Minjeong and makes her sit on the sofa outside of the dressing rooms.

 

“Stay here. Give me a minute.” Jimin jogs back into the racks of clothing and spots the white midi dress with blue flowers printed on it that she had her eye on earlier.

 

She comes back to Minjeong with the dress in hand and gives it to her.

 

“Blue?” Your favourite colour? Minjeong asks.

“I think you look nice in blue.” Jimin shrugs.

“Ningning thinks I look good in blue too.” Minjeong says, mentioning her best friend.

 “Go on,” Jimin tells her.

 

Minjeong heads back into the dressing room and Jimin sits down on the sofa, tapping her fingers against the arm rest as she waits patiently for Minjeong.

 

“Unnie?” Minjeong calls out and Jimin springs right up.

“Yeah?” Jimin answers.

“The zipper won’t go up.” Minjeong tells her.

“Do you need me to come in?” Jimin asks.

“Yes, please!” Minjeong answers with relief.

 

Jimin pulls back the curtain and steps into the small space. She sees Minjeong holding up the front of her dress and the expanse of bare skin at her back. She swallows thickly. She silently brings her hand to the zipper and finds that it’s jammed into the fabric. She toys with the zipper and gets it unstuck and she freezes slightly when her hand brushes up against Minjeong’s skin, eliciting a small gasp from the younger girl.

 

“Sorry.” Jimin clears , accidentally making eye contact with Minjeong through the mirror.

“It’s okay.” Minjeong answers quietly, looking away with a blush on her cheeks.

 

Jimin zips up the dress and rests her hands on Minjeong’s hips.

 

“You’re beautiful,” Jimin tells her honestly.

“Let’s hope Jisung thinks that as well.” Minjeong chuckles, shying away from Jimin’s warm gaze.

“Who cares what he thinks?” Jimin snorts and Minjeong grins. “Do you feel beautiful?”

 

Minjeong’s eyes flit up to Jimin’s and they hold an unwavering contest of who dares to look away first, but neither do.

 

“I do.” Minjeong answers, eyes still on Jimin. “You have a good eye, unnie.”

“I know I do.” Jimin smirks. “Why do you think I look so beautiful?”

 

Minjeong rolls her eyes and shoves Jimin away playfully.

 

“You’re so annoying, Unnie.” Minjeong pouts and Jimin grins.

“Only to you, Minjeong Baby.” The nickname returns and Minjeong’s cheeks fail to keep their cool.

 

Jimin takes another look at Minjeong, her eyes filtering up and down before they return to Minjeong’s.

 

“Wear a cardigan with the dress.” She says before she exits the dressing room and Minjeong changes out of the dress into her outfit.

 

Minjeong exhales shakily as the curtain closes.

 

Aeri returns with two smoothies in hand.

 

“Where’s yours?” Jimin asks her.

“Girl, I drank it all the moment I got it.” Aeri snorts. 

“Of course.” Jimin chuckles.

 

Minjeong exits with the dress and Aeri inspects it.

 

Oh, this is much cuter.” Aeri nods. “Did you pick it, Jiminie?”

“I did,” Jimin answers.

“Oh, duh; it’s blue.” Aeri snorts and Jimin rolls her eyes.

“Let’s go pay.” Minjeong tells them and her two unnies follow her.

 

Aeri notices it first and Jimin is seemingly blind when they reach the counter to pay and the girl behind the counter is eyeing Jimin down.

 

“That’ll be forty-five dollars! How would you like to pay?” The woman asks, her eyes flitting to Jimin.

“Card.” Jimin answers, looking down at her wallet.

 

Minjeong catches sight of the woman and snaps out of it when she turns to Jimin.

 

“Unnie-”

 

Minjeong barely gets a word out when Jimin’s already tapping her card.

 

“There you go, all set.” The woman smiles. “Have a nice day!”

“Thanks.” Jimin grabs the bag and turns away.

 

Minjeong catches up to Jimin and Aeri walks on the other side, linking her arm with Jimin.

 

“Unnie, that was expensive! You didn’t need to pay for me.” Minjeong pouts.

“How about a thank you?” Jimin chuckles.

“Thanks, unnie, but still...” Minjeong pouts. 

“It’s a nice dress. You look good in it; it’s worth my money.” Jimin reassures her.

“Dude.” Aeri says and the two of them look at her.

“What?” Jimin blinks.

“Did you see the worker?” Aeri smirks and Jimin blinks.

“No.” She answers.

“She was totally eyeing you out!” Aeri shoves her. Jimin blinks, quite flabbergasted at Aeri’s reaction.

“What?” Jimin frowns. “How’d you even notice? What if she was being friendly?”

“She was literally undressing you with her eyes, friendly my !” Aeri chortles.

 

Minjeong frowns slightly.

 

“That’s literally an assumption, Aeri. Shut it.” Jimin shakes her head.

“Come on, she was pretty. Right, Minjeong?” Aeri turns to Minjeong and she blinks.

“Y-yeah, she was pretty.” Minjeong chuckles awkwardly and Jimin notices.

 

She wonders if Minjeong is disturbed and uncomfortable by conversations like this. As a caring unnie, she reaches down and holds Minjeong’s hand. If she’s disturbed or disgusted, she doesn’t show—grasping onto Jimin’s hand too.

 

“I’m not interested.” Jimin sighs. “Plus, what do you want me to do? Run back inside and get her number?”

“Well, I’m just letting you know people are looking and it’s been like weeks since your last bed buddy.” Aeri snorts, Jimin’s ears redden and Minjeong notices.

“Can you not word it like that?” Jimin sighs, embarrassed to talk about it in front of Minjeong. “And not in front of Minjeong. She’s too young to hear this.”
“Girl, are you hearing yourself? She’s turning seventeen.” Aeri chortles.

“She’s still Minjeong baby to me.” Jimin pouts and Minjeong chuckles awkwardly.

“Aeri-Unnie’s right. It’s pretty normal to hear these things now.” Minjeong says as they make their way to the parking lot.

“I hope you’re not hanging around people like that.” Jimin says.

“Do people mean you and Aeri-Unnie?” Minjeong snorts and Jimin pauses.

“Okay, you got me there. I mean strange people, okay?” Jimin laughs softly.

“Sometimes I think Jimin is your real sister and not me.” Aeri shakes her head amusedly.

Well, I took care of Minjeongie when you went on dates.” Jimin points out.

“Hey! I came home to her, for your information!” Aeri huffs.

“Okay, okay! Please, let’s go home now.” Minjeong chuckles.



 



 

It’s Saturday and Jimin’s busy at the soccer field near her apartment, close to the university campus. The sun has set and she’s been kicking at her ball for hours. Running laps up and down the field and kicking goals into the net.

 

She stops for a drink of water and stops where she left her phone and belongings, at the lamppost next to the goalpost. She reaches for her phone after drinking water and sees Aeri calling her.

 

“Hello?” She answers.

“Hi bestie, can you go pick Minjeong up from her date?” Aeri asks her and she can hear the chatter of people. 

“How do you know I’m not busy?” Jimin questions.

“, all you do is study, hook up, and play soccer.” Aeri says and Jimin nods, that she does have a point.

“Where are you? Why aren’t you picking her up?” Jimin asks.

“I’m on a blind date and I’m in the bathroom right now.” Aeri whispers. “I swear this dude doesn’t stop talking. I’ve been trying to get away but he won’t let me.”

“Only you, Aeri; only you, seriously.” Jimin snorts.

“Please go get her and get me right after.” Aeri whines. “Call me and make it sound like an emergency when you get me, okay? Bye!” 

 

The phone beeps and Jimin sighs. She gathers her stuff, gets into her car and follows where Aeri sent Minjeong’s location to her.

 

She drives past the town mall and prepares to park when she sees a familiar head of brown hair and bangs, wearing the dress she chose, kicking at the pavement.

 

She pulls to a stop, glad that there’s parking available. She jumps out, takes her blue jacket from the passenger seat and jogs up to Minjeong.

 

“Minjeong-ah.” She calls out and Minjeong turns to her.

“Unnie.” There’s an unusual dimness in Minjeong’s eyes and hollowness in her tone that Jimin notices as she approaches her carefully. 

“Hey, I thought I told you to wear a cardigan?” Jimin smiles and Minjeong shrugs with a small smile.

“I forgot,” Minjeong says.

 

Jimin drapes the jacket over Minjeong’s shoulders and helps her put her arms into the sleeves.

 

“Thank you for coming to get me.” Minjeong says quietly and Jimin frowns slightly.

“S’alright.” Jimin shrugs, leading Minjeong back to the car. 

 

She opens the passenger door for Minjeong and lets her in before closing the door. She sits in the driver’s seat and turns on the heater for Minjeong.

 

“So... how was the date with Jisoon?” Jimin asks.

“Jisung.” Minjeong corrects.

“Sorry.” Jimin smiles sheepishly.

“It was… it was nice.” Minjeong says, fiddling with the sleeve of Jimin’s jacket.

“Just nice? No sparks or first kiss?” Jimin asks her gently and Minjeong shakes her head slowly.

“Did he try anything with you that you weren’t comfortable with?” Jimin asks seriously.

“No, no, nothing like that.” Minjeong shakes her head. “I just… wasn’t feeling it. It was nice, but I felt like I wasn’t all there. I feel bad for him.”

 

Jimin reaches out and tucks Minjeong’s hair behind her ear, rubbing the shell of her ear comfortingly. She reaches down and squeezes the junction between Minjeong’s shoulder and neck affectionately.

 

“It’s okay to feel like that. A first date can’t determine the rest of your life.” Jimin chuckles softly.

“But what if it does?” A tear falls and Jimin’s eyes widen.

“Hey, Minjeong, why’re you crying?” Jimin frowns.

“Sorry, it’s just—all the girls and boys my age are dating and talking about this and that, and it just feels like I’m getting left behind.” Minjeong wipes her tears with Jimin’s jacket and Jimin doesn’t mind at all.

“It’s okay; there’s nothing wrong with that.” Jimin reassures her. “C’mere.”

 

Minjeong leans over and leans into Jimin’s embrace, snuggling into her arms.

 

“You’re fine. Nothing bad is going to happen; you’re normal and fine.” Jimin kisses the crown of Minjeong’s hair and the younger girl closes her eyes, savouring Jimin’s affection. “You’re a beautiful girl and you’re still young. One day someone’s going to come through your life and before you know it, you’ll fall in love with them without your mind even knowing.”

 

Minjeong’s seventeen and Jimin’s twenty when she realises that this isn’t some silly childhood crush she’s been harbouring all these years.

 

Her crush grew into affection and love.

 

She likes Jimin and she doesn’t know how to stop.

 

“Are you feeling okay now?” Jimin pulls away and Minjeong nods. “Okay, then. Let’s go rescue Aeri.”



 



 

Minjeong is eighteen when she drinks for the first time after being roped into going to a party by her best friend, Ningning, whom she met after she transferred to her high school when they were fifteen.

 

Jimin’s twenty-one and lazing around in bed when her phone begins to buzz. She puts down her book and checks her phone, seeing an unfamiliar number.

 

“Hello, who is this?” Jimin answers the call. 

“Unnie?” Jimin blinks when she hears Minjeong’s uncanny voice through this stranger's phone number. “It’s me, Minjeongie!”
 

Jimin frowns, hearing the odd high-pitched lilt in Minjeong’s voice and the slurring tone.

 

“Are you—are you drunk? Minjeong?” Jimin sits upright in her bed.

“Unnie~” Minjeong whines and Jimin chuckles. “N-no, give me back the phone!”

Hi, this is Ningning, Minjeong’s best friend!” Another voice chimes in. “Anyway, this is my phone and we’re really drunk but your number is the only one Minjeong remembers.” Ningning says over the loud chatter of the party. “So whoever you are, I’m trusting Minjeong to be in your hands and please pick her up.”

“Okay, I’ll be there soon; send me the location.” Jimin grabs a jacket from her closet and throws it on before grabbing her keys and leaving.

 

Jimin stops along the street and finds people bustling in and out of a two-story house. The music is loud and pumping through the whole neighbourhood. Jimin wonders how long until the party gets shut down. She’d better get Minjeong first before anything else happens.

 

She jogs towards the house and sees Minjeong sitting on the pavement outside, leaning against someone’s standing legs.

 

“Minjeong-ah.” She calls out and Minjeong perks up immediately.

“Unnie!” Minjeong reaches up with her hands and Jimin leans down and lets Minjeong grab onto her.

“Hi, are you Minjeong’s sister?” The girl beside them asks.

Uh, no, I’m Jimin. I’m a friend of her sister’s. I’m close with Minjeong as well.” JImin explains and doesn’t bat an eye when Minjeong wraps both her arms around her neck and almost hangs from her like a koala.

“Thanks for coming to get her and I fully apologise for getting drunk with her.” Ningning explains. “We were trying to justify it since we’re turning eighteen soon in the next year.”

“It’s fine.” Jimin chuckles lightly. “Aeri and I did things way worse when we were eighteen.”

 

“It’s nice to meet you properly! Minjeong really did not explain how pretty you were in real life.” Ningning says and Jimin blushes, looking down at Minjeong, who is burrowing herself into her neck.

“She talked about me?” Jimin asks, looking back at Ningning.

“Of course! You’re her favourite non-biological unnie.” Ningning beams. “She’s always talking about you and her sister.”

“Oh.” Jimin blinks.

“Unnie… you’re so warm.” Minjeong slurs.

“Anyway, please bring her home safely; I owe you a lot!” Ningning grins.

“Uh, don’t you need a ride home too? I can drop you off.” Jimin stops her as she tries to hold Minjeong’s dead weight upright.

“Nah, no can do. I live in the opposite direction of Minjeong; it’s too far.” Ningning waves her off. “I asked one of my friends who lives close by to drive me home already; it’s alright. Thanks anyways!”

“Okay. Get home safe!” Jimin says, dragging Minjeong away. “Make sure to call Minjeong in the morning!”

 

Jimin buckles Minjeong safely into the car first before she gets in and starts the engine.

 

“Unnie, are you taking me home?” Minjeong speaks quietly and slowly as she leans her head against her seatbelt.

“Yes, Minjeong. Although I doubt your family would be happy to see me taking you home drunk.” Jimin huffs. “They might even blame me for it.” 

“They won’t!” Minjeong’s voice rises in volume, then lowers immediately. “You also can’t take me home…” She pouts. “My parents are on a business trip and Aeri just moved into her apartment with her boyfriend, and I dunno which one it is!”

 

Ah, that’s right. Last year, Aeri met a guy she claimed to be the love of her life and Jimin’s met the guy and he’s pretty decent for a man. They moved in together recently and Jimin couldn’t be happier for her. Minjeong’s a bit saddened that she doesn’t live with her sister anymore, though.

 

“Okay. What do I do then?” Jimin sighs.

“Take me home with you!” Minjeong cheers and Jimin sighs again. She smiles softly and pats Minjeong’s head, also moving her to lean comfortably into the seat.

“Okay. I’ll take you home.” Jimin smiles affectionately.

 

Jimin reaches home and finds herself piggybacking Minjeong up to her apartment. She’s glad she only lives on the first floor and only has to struggle up half a flight of stairs to reach her apartment, as her legs are about to give out any moment. Aeri’s right; maybe she really is slacking off at the gym, and that’s not good for someone who plays soccer.

 

Jimin makes it into her room and tries to drop Minjeong gently onto her bed, but she slips and almost falls right on top of Minjeong, but the younger girl doesn’t seem to stir. She takes off Minjeong’s jacket, removes her shoes and jeans and leaves her in more comfortable pyjama pants.

 

“Night, Minjeong-ah.” Jimin fixes Minjeong’s hair and prepares to leave when Minjeong startles her.

 

Jimin’s eyes widen when Minjeong gains a surge of strength to pull her downward. Jimin’s nose touches Minjeong’s and she feels Minjeong breathing into her own agape mouth. Minjeong gazes up at her with half-lidded eyes and heavy breathing. Jimin in her breathing, feeling it halt in her chest being so close to the younger girl.

 

“Unnie. I think I’m in love with you.” Minjeong’s grasp slackens and she falls asleep. Jimin pulls back, sitting down on the edge of the bed as she exhales shakily. 

 

Minjeong doesn’t stir awake for the next few minutes, or for the next hour that Jimin finds herself sitting there, immobile. Jimin takes a look at Minjeong, rearranges the girl’s dishevelled hair and pushes her bangs aside.

 

“When did you grow up, Minjeong-ah?” Jimin whispers solemnly. 

 

She pulls away and chooses not to linger.

 

To linger is dangerous, and Jimin chooses the safe way out—always.

 

She closes the door to her room and seeks refuge on her couch, where she doesn’t fall asleep at all. Her mind echoes Minjeong’s dazed look, her dishevelled appearance, and her earnest confession.


 


 

Jimin’s eyes are tired but she fights off the lack of sleep and prepares breakfast for the girl sleeping in her bed. She brings out ingredients and leftovers to her kitchen island, and to the best of her abilities, Jimin whips up a kimchi stew.

 

“Unnie?” 

 

Jimin almost drops the simmering pot in her hands as she brings it over to the kitchen table.

 

“Can you grab a coaster, please?” Jimin addresses Minjeong. Minjeong, despite her drowsiness from waking up, trudges to the kitchen and places the coaster down on the table obediently. “Thanks.”

 

Minjeong takes a seat at the dinner table and Jimin watches her slump her head down onto the table from the corner of her eye. She groans and Jimin smiles softly. She sets up the table for Minjeong and gently pats the younger girl’s head.

 

“Eat. It’ll make you feel better.” Jimin says and Minjeong rises slowly. She picks up a spoon with her eyes closed and is miraculously able to successfully scoop a spoonful of the stew into .

 

Her eyes open and widen as she hums in delight.

 

“Unnie, this is delicious!” Minjeong grins, taking another spoonful. “Is this the recipe from Halmeoni’s place?”

“Mhm. She gave me all her recipes before she passed.” Jimin nods.

“That’s nice. I miss her.” Minjeong pouts and Jimin chuckles lightly.

“Me too.” Jimin nods.

 

Jimin slides the bowl of rice over to Minjeong. “Eat it with rice,” she tells her and she quickly takes a spoonful.

 

Unusual for Minjeong’s usual attentiveness and unselfish tendencies, it takes her almost five minutes to realise she’s the only one eating.

 

“Unnie, you’re not eating?” Minjeong frowns, tilting her head like a curious puppy. 

I’m full from watching you eat. Jimin thinks about herself saying that flirty comment and watching Minjeong’s cheeks grow red as she ducks her head shyly. Instead, she holds her tongue and shakes her head gently.

“I’m not hungry. I just made it for you since I knew you would wake up hungry from your hangover.” Jimin answers.

“Still… you should have a bite to start your morning.” Minjeong smiles and Jimin pictures a tail wagging behind Minjeong.

“I’ll have it later.” Jimin chuckles affectionately. “Just worry about yourself.”

“Okay. Make sure you eat properly after.” Minjeong says it almost sternly and Jimin smiles.

“Okay~.” Jimin answers like she would to an elder, earning a grin from Minjeong. 

 

Unnie. I think I’m in love with you.

 

Jimin blinks, staring across from Minjeong.

 

“Why didn’t you call Aeri last night?” Jimin asks.

“My sister? Last night?” Minjeong blinks.

“Don’t tell me... you don’t remember?” Jimin raises a brow.

“No, no!” Minjeong laughs. “I got clouded by a moment because of this delicious Kimchi Jjigae.” 

 

Jimin almost rolls her eyes with an affectionate chuckle if not for the bubbling anxiety in her pit.

 

“I got so drunk, Unnie.” Minjeong groans. “Why do people do this to themselves?”

“You’re eighteen. Of course you’d be curious.” Jimin shrugs. “Was it fun, though?”

“Yeah! It was such a new experience.” Minjeong tells Jimin as she scoops the last remaining rice into . She pours the rest of the Kimchi stew into her bowl from the pot and brings the bowl to her lips as she slurps on the rest of the stew.

“You didn’t answer my question.” Jimin says. 

 

Minjeong puts the bowl down and wipes . She grins and looks at Jimin.

 

“Ah. My phone died last night.” Minjeong says. “I called you using Ningning’s phone and I couldn’t remember Aeri-Unnie’s apartment even if I had her number.”

“Why me?” Jimin finds herself asking as her brain catches up with .

“Your number is the only one I know by heart.” Minjeong shrugs. “It ends in 0101, like my birthday. It’s super easy to remember!”

 

Jimin’s heart thumps against her rib cage and her ears burn red.

 

“Oh.” Jimin blinks.

“I’m so lucky. Thanks for coming to get me, unnie.” Minjeong smiles shyly and Jimin shakes her hair to cover her ears.

“I would do it again if you’d call.” Jimin shrugs, feigning coolness.

“I’ll keep it in mind.” Minjeong grins, grabbing her bowl and spoon and bringing them to the kitchen sink.

 

Jimin follows her, carrying the pot.

 

“Do you remember anything from last night?” Jimin asks and there’s a moment of silence and a slight halt in Minjeong’s movement when she asks.

 

Minjeong turns to Jimin with her trademark eye smile.

 

“No.” Minjeong answers and Jimin blinks. “I remember you picking me up from the party, but that’s about it. Why? Did I do something weird last night?”

 

Jimin sees the hidden anxiety in Minjeong’s warm eyes as her hands tremble when she washes her plate. Jimin’s known Minjeong for too many years to not know all her quirks and telltale signs of her every emotion and thought.

 

“Uh, no.” Jimin shakes her head and Minjeong’s shoulders drop with relief—Jimin notices. “You were knocked out cold. I had to carry you from the car up to my apartment.”

“Oh gosh, I’m so sorry, unnie!” Minjeong groans and Jimin grins.

“It’s okay. I’m strong.” Jimin says and Minjeong bumps her hip against Jimin’s. “I’m serious! You’re very light.”

“I bet you struggled up the stairs, unnie! You’re not that strong-looking.” Minjeong snickers and Jimin pouts.

“Yah, I carry you home on my own; I let you sleep in my bed; I cook for you; I feed you; and this is how you treat me?” Jimin leans against the sink dramatically. “I’m wounded, Kim Mindoong.” 

“U-unnie, I didn’t mean it like that!” Jimin’s worry doesn’t settle, even if she thinks Minjeong's blush is cute. “Maybe you are very strong; I shouldn’t underestimate you!”

“Hurry and wash up. I've got to take you home.” Jimin tells her and Minjeong nods.

 

Jimin is twenty-one and Minjeong is eighteen when the older girl begins to rethink the choices she’s made in life and where they've led her. One thing that’s always been constant is her Minjeong Baby.



 


 

Jimin doesn’t see much of Minjeong for the rest of that year since she’s busy with her college entrance exams, but Jimin finds herself showing Minjeong and Ningning around campus with Aeri.

 

“I never knew how nice this place was!” Ningning gasps.

“It’s not that great.” Aeri snorts. “Most of the bathrooms here don’t work, so be careful. Only the second-floor bathroom near the science faculty works properly.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.” Ningning grimaces.

 

They walk through the halls when someone latches on Jimin’s arm, startling Minjeong, who’s been walking beside her.

 

“Jiminie!” The girl whines and Jimin blinks, feeling the stares of her friends on her.

“H-hi.” Jimin blinks.

“I haven’t seen you around in so long, unnie!” The girl pouts.

“We’re the same age, Minjae-ssi.” Jimin frowns.

“Minjae-ssi? Why so formal?” The girl whines.

“Because we’re not close.” Jimin states and Aeri winces.

 

Minjae frowns and looks behind her.

 

“Who are these people?” Minjae frowns.

“Important people in my life,” Jimin says. “Aeri, you know her; Minjeongie, her sister; and Ningning, Minjeongie’s best friend. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to show them around.”

“Oh! Freshmen!” Minjae completely disregards Jimin and she sighs deeply. “Welcome, welcome! I’ve never met anyone else that Jimin knows! You two are just adorable!” Minjae reaches to pinch Minjeong’s cheek, but Jimin pulls Minjeong behind her slightly.

“Minjae-ssi. Please.” Jimin says sternly.

“Fine, fine. Come find me later at Jaehyun’s party, girl!” Minjae drops her hand and skips away as Jimin deflates with relief.

 

Jimin turns back to her friends. Ningning’s smiling, Aeri’s unimpressed and Minjeong? Minjeong’s looking a bit uncomfortable. 

 

“What?” Jimin questions.

“Please tell me you didn’t do her?” Aeri raises a brow and Jimin’s ears burn red.

“What - no! Of course not.” Jimin splutters, her eyes flitting to Minjeong to gauge her reaction. “She’s just really friendly.”
“Because she wants to get into your pants.” Ningning snorts.

“And I won’t let her.” Jimin stops them.

“Why, it’s been a while, hasn’t it?” Aeri shrugs.
“I’m not like that anymore.” Jimin grumbles.

 

Minjeong tries to take her hand away, but Jimin tugs back, intertwining their hands—catching Minjeong by surprise.

 

Well, let’s see tonight at Jaehyun’s party.” Aeri shrugs.

“I’m not going,” Jimin says.

“What, why?” Aeri gasps.

“I find no reason to.” She shrugs.

“Is it because he tried to hit on you freshman year?” Aeri questions and Jimin frowns.

“What? No. I’m tired and frankly, I can’t be arsed for a party on my first day back.” Jimin huffs.

“Well, it can’t be helped.” Ningning beams.

“Nope, No way, you two aren’t going.” Jimin stops them.

“Why?” Minjeong says and Jimin blinks.

“Why?” Jimin frowns. “Because you two are new here and you only know Aeri and me.”

“We know Minjae.” Ningning shrugs.

“And of Jaehyun.” Minjeong shrugs.

“No, Jaehyun is bad news.” Jimin shakes her head.

“And Minjae isn’t?” Aeri snorts and Jimin watches Minjeong roll her eyes.

 

Jimin huffs.

 

“Fine, go to the party then.” Jimin drops Minjeong’s hand. “Don’t come crying to me if something happens.”

“We’ll have so much fun without you, Jimin-ah!” Aeri cackles.

“Make sure to tell Jeno to come with you.” Jimin mentioned her boyfriend.

“Of course he’s not going to let me go if he doesn’t come.” Aeri snorts.

 

Jimin rolls her eyes.

 

“Come on, let’s finish the tour.” Jimin tells them to hurry along.

 

They stop in front of Ningning and Minjeong’s shared dorm near the campus building. Aeri and Ningning head in to explore the room when Jimin stops outside and tugs back on Minjeong’s arm.

 

“Hm?” Minjeong blinks.

“I’m serious about the party tonight.” Jimin tells her. “Don’t go.” 

“Are you telling me as Yu Jimin or my Unnie?” Minjeong asks and Jimin blinks.

I care about you, Minjeong. I don’t want anything to happen to you.” Jimin sighs. 

“I’m nineteen; a party isn’t going to kill me.” Minjeong huffs. “I don’t get why you care so much; even Aeri wants to go with me. I’m not a kid anymore.”

“I know you’re not a kid anymore; that’s why I don’t want you to go.” Jimin says.

“I can take care of myself.” Minjeong huffs, going into her dorm and leaving Jimin behind.

 

Jimin sighs.

 

She’s known Minjeong since she was little and watched her grow up, not being helpless anymore. She doesn’t need to tie Minjeong’s shoes, hold her hand, or buy her things. She’s nineteen and Jimin’s twenty-two. Jimin learns what it’s like to not be needed anymore, and it scares her. 

 

It’s later in the day when Jimin passes through the hall and sees people shuffling out to go to Jaehyun’s party, of course.

 

“Did you hear?”

 

Jimin overhears a conversation between boys she’s not particularly familiar with.

 

“That freshman girl, brownish-red short hair, cute smile, Kim Aeri’s little sister…”

 

That definitely gets Jimin’s attention.

 

“I heard Jaehyun’s got his eyes on her…”

 

“Even personally invited her, I saw around lunch time…”

 

So much for not going to his party.

 

“He’s going to ruin her, poor girl…”

 

Jimin grabs her keys and a jacket before driving to Jaehyun’s house. She parks and steps out of the house, only seeing red in front of her with Minjeong in her mind.

 

“Woah, woah, Yu Jimin in the house!” Johnny whoops.

“Shut up.” She rolls her eyes. She’s about to leave but turns back to him. “Have you seen a freshman girl with short hair? She might’ve come with Aeri.”
“Oh yeah, she’s in there.” Johnny points and it doesn’t help her at all.

“Thanks.” She grimaces.

 

She walks in and looks around, already annoyed by the amount of drunk people.

 

“Oh, Unnie!” Jimin spots Ningning.

“Hey.” She smiles curtly.

“Can you help me find Minjeongie?” Ningning’s eyes are full of worry and Jimin’s heart sinks.

“What? You can’t find her?” Jimin’s eyes widen.

“I saw Jaehyun take her somewhere.” Ningning says and Jimin’s throat runs dry.

 

She makes a dash towards the second floor and finds Aeri running up the stairs.

 

“No thank you, Sunbaenim...” Jimin hears Minjeong’s voice.

 

“Aeri!” Jimin grabs hold of Aeri and her best friend turns to her with a wild look across her face.

“I’ll kill him.” They both dashed upstairs.

 

“Yah! Jeong Jaehyun!” Aeri screams. “Back off from my little sister, you twenty-six-year-old college repeat!” 

 

Jimin makes a charge for it and pushes Jaehyun away.

 

“Dude, what the hell?” Jaehyun blinks, disoriented.

 

Jimin grabs onto Minjeong and pulls her close.

 

“I told you not to come.” Jimin huffs.

 

Minjeong sighs in relief, letting herself be manhandled by Jimin, not caring that her grip is slightly too tight.

 

Jeno runs upstairs, bewildered by the sight of his girlfriend, her little sister, and her best friend crowding around a man who’s on the floor.

 

“What happened?” He blinks.

“Home, now.” Aeri sighs, shaking her head.

 

Aeri and Jeno head home in Jeno’s car; Ningning and Minjeong clamber into Jimin’s car, and the ride back is completely silent. 



 

Jimin and Minjeong for the first time in their lives after knowing each other for years, don’t feel as close as they should.

 

After the party, Minjeong asks to sleepover; Ningning declines, having things to do the next morning, while Minjeong doesn’t. Jimin does have things to do as well, but for Minjeong, she lets her stay. 

 

“Can you stop stomping around your apartment?” Minjeong sighs as she sits on Jimin’s bed.

“I’m making my bed.” Jimin says, not wanting to say too much because she’s still slightly mad at Minjeong. She carries a blanket and pillows to the spare room, where she stores all her belongings in a cluttered mess. At least there’s a bed in there among her things.

“Just sleep here. It’s your bed.” Minjeong says.

“I move around in my sleep; I don’t want to bother you.” Jimin says.

“You don’t move in your sleep; you sleep like a log.” Minjeong points out. “You’ve slept over with Aeri and I before.”

Well, I have a grown-up bed now; I like to move.” Jimin is stubborn.

“Unnie.” Minjeong calls quietly and Jimin sighs, halting her movement. 

 

Jimin puts back the blanket and drops the pillows onto the bed.

 

“I’m sorry. I’m being childish.” Jimin looks away, her ears burning red and Minjeong notices; she smiles softly.

“I’m sorry too. For not listening to you.” Minjeong says.

 

Jimin takes a seat beside Minjeong, their knees knocking against each other.

 

“You’re right. You’re not a kid anymore; I shouldn’t worry too much.” Jimin says.

“Why did it matter if I went or not?” Minjeong asks and Jimin huffs quietly.

“Because you’re Aeri’s little sister.” Jimin shrugs. “I grew up with you.”

“Is that all? Is that enough to worry about?” Minjeong frowns and Jimin chews on her bottom lip.

“Because I care about you, Minjeong.” Jimin says.

 

Minjeong swallows thickly, not being able to stand the atmosphere. She stands up and Jimin’s gaze follows her.

 

“I think… I think you care too much.” Minjeong heaves. “I don’t get it; I really don’t. Not even Aeri-Unnie’s other friends treat me like this! I’m not even their little sister and yet my real sister doesn’t even treat me like this. I’m not a kid anymore and I’m not some fragile piece of glass.”

“I know… I know.” Jimin sighs, standing up too.

“Then why? What makes you care so much?” Minjeong urges her. “Tell me the answer.”

“You already know.” Jimin shrugs.

“Do I? I want to hear you say it.” Minjeong huffs.

 

Jimin fidgets in her spot, her hands gripping at the hem of her shirt.

 

I think I like you—

 

“You’re my little sister too.” Jimin says it and it feels like burning flames dripping out of . 

 

It feels wrong to say and she deserves to be on her knees for Minjeong.

 

Her words weigh down her shoulders and make her head hurt when she sees Minjeong’s crestfallen expression.

 

Minjeong covers it up and smiles softly, as best she has always done in front of Jimin.

 

“You’re a good unnie.” Minjeong sighs. “It’s late. We should sleep.”

“Okay…” Jimin agrees softly.

 

They both slide into the bed and Minjeong faces away from Jimin. The older girl has the image of Minjeong’s back for the rest of the night and it makes her heart hurt.

 

She turns away as well.