black | Dark Pavement

Black Revolver

 

black | Dark Pavement

In a high-rise apartment complex in the affluent part of town, a young woman walked tiredly up sixteen flights of stairs before taking an elevator for the next twenty eight floors. She then walked up two more flights of stairs before reaching her apartment. By instinct, she put her back against the wall next to her door, looking down at the door cracks before slowly unlocking and opening.  She stood still and listened carefully for any movement.

She was met with utter silence.

Pleased, she took her hand off the door knob behind her and locked it. Twice. Yawning, the young woman took off her white leather jacket and hung it in the closet next to the shoe rack. She carefully stepped out of her boots and padded quietly to her bedroom. There, she began taking the white dress shirt off her small frame and slipped her jeans off her short but shapely legs. Continuing her routine, she treaded tiredly into her bathroom, turning on the bright bathroom lights. By habit, she had closed her eyes and opened them slowly as to not be blinded by the sudden brightness.  Stepping into her wide and spacious shower, she washed quickly before moving on to brushing her teeth and changing into her sleeping clothes.

Finally, taking one last look at the city’s night view through the window that made up an entire wall in her bedroom, she shut off all the lights in her 1300 square feet apartment and went to bed.

///

The cell phone on the dresser started to vibrate and ring loudly. The vibrations shifted it slowly across the surface of the dresser and it slowly inched towards the edge. After a few seconds, it finally made its way to the edge and tipped over as gravity continued to do its work. However, before the device could even begin its journey down to the soft white carpet, a pale hand suddenly reached out from the navy bed covers at an alarming speed to catch it.

“Yes?”

“Good morning Taeyeon.”

The woman sat up. “Yuri.”

“Sleeping in this morning I presume? You usually pickup before first ring ends.”

Expressionless, Taeyeon flipped the blankets off her and swiveled herself so her feet touched the ground, next to her white slippers. “Jessica had another club opening last night. In the heart of downtown Seoul.”

“Ah.” Yuri’s smooth voice answered, “yes, she mentioned that a while ago. I presume it went well seeing how you returned late.” It was a statement, not a question.

“I am to meet the new head of security of the new facility today. Jessica wasn’t too pleased that a few paparazzo slipped in,” Taeyeon replied, changing into a black dress shirt and dark jeans.

“I see. You took care of them of course?”

“Nothing too complicated.”

“Well then, thank you for the update.” Taeyeon could almost hear Yuri’s smile through the phone. “Go easy on this one would you? Having three different heads of security being fired on their first day isn’t very convenient for me to manage. Paperwork.”

“Yes Yuri. I understand. Goodbye.” It was the end of the conversation, obvious to hang up now.

“Bye Taeyeon. Mind the fiancé for me.” The voice turned cold.

“Always.” A cold reply as Taeyeon hung up her phone, putting on her boots and a motorcycle jacket. Turning around, she looked at the other side of the closet.

‘Black for today. I need to get some work done.’

She picked up the black katana off the shelf and slipped it around her back before walking out the door.

///

Sweaty palms. She hated people with sweaty palms.

‘A sign of weakness’ Taeyeon thought to herself as she shook the man’s hand. ‘Slippery grip, trembling arms, obvious signs of anxiety. Absolutely unworthy.’ She would have to wash her hands again after this interview.  She resisted the urge to roll her eyes as she noticed the man’s eyes twitch at the sight of the katana she held in her hands.

“Thank you for your time Ms. Kim,” the man said in a steady voice that would have fooled most people into believing in his false confidence.

Expressionless, Taeyeon bowed politely as she replied, “no, thank you Mr. Lee.” She took two steps back before turning around, walking towards the elevators. She didn’t bother turning to face the man when she spoke in the same expressionless tone, “You’re fired.”

Automatically, the two fellow bodyguards that had been following Taeyeon since the start of the meeting their heels and walked towards Mr. Lee, showing him the way out.

Walking into the elevator alone, Taeyeon looked down at the hand that Mr. Lee had just shaken with the first expression she let out for the entire day. Disgust.

///

Taeyeon followed the blonde haired woman silently as the latter shopped around the literature section in the antique store. As the owner of J Enterprises, Jessica Jung was the owner of many of the city’s most popular shopping centers and night clubs. She was also the fiancé of the president and founder of Force Industries – one of the largest military tech developer and manufacturer in the world – Kwon Yuri.

Taeyeon, her personal bodyguard, observed her silently from behind as Jessica browsed through many of the rare books in the store before finally settling on two rather beaten up classics. Taeyeon would give her life to protect Jessica – though she actually served under Yuri’s employment. As her adoptive sister, Taeyeon owed everything to the Kwon family for taking her in. She considered her service as a form of repayment for their generosity.

Looking around at their surroundings, Taeyeon waited patiently next to the executive as she paid for the books. All in cash. Her wandering eyes settled on a female figure down at ground floor of the shopping complex. The woman’s hair cascade in soft curls as her eyes shined brightly, awake, lively, and most of all, they were full of curiosity.

‘A foreigner.’ Taeyeon thought as she watched the young woman absorb her surroundings in awe. ‘There is no way a local would look so lost.’

“Taeyeon.” Jessica called out softly as she picked up her purse and newly purchased books.

“Are you prepared to leave Jessica?” Taeyeon said quietly, head lowered slightly in respect. Everything was for Jessica. Everything and anything.

Seeing Jessica nod, Taeyeon offered a bent elbow and looped it around Jessica’s arm, leading her carefully out of the store.

///

Filth. Absolute filth. Drunkards who thought they could do anything they wanted just because they had money. Taeyeon’s narrowed eyes watched a trio of well dressed men from her spot on the upper floor.

Though glitzy and glamorous, Jessica’s clubs inevitably attracted many…unwanted guests. Having a reputation of class and trendiness, it is easy to say that such guests were best gotten rid of. Quickly. Especially tonight. Tonight was the big night everyone in town had been waiting for – a live concert in the club by some of the biggest stars in the nation. As for now, the in house DJ was spinning the tunes before the show started.

Taeyeon continued watching the men laugh and leer at many of the younger club goers, her hands turning even whiter as she tightened her grip around her katana.

Walking over with two drinks in her hand, Jessica casually leaned on the railing next to Taeyeon and offered her one of them. “Scotch?”

Taeyeon turned around to face the club’s boniface, expressionless as usual.

Jessica smirked as she looked Taeyeon in the eye and added, “On the rocks.”

Allowing her lips to curve up into what really couldn’t be called a smile, Taeyeon accepted the glass and lowered her head in a bow. She downed the glass quickly in a manner that Jessica had to wince – yet Taeyeon’s face showed no signs of acknowledging the sting of the alcohol.

Raising an eyebrow, Jessica looked at Taeyeon closely in the face, noticing that the latter’s eyes were set on someone downstairs at some of the tables. Following the shorter girl’s line of sight, the blonde smirked once more at the sight of the three drunken men. “Taking the trash out soon?”

Never taking her eyes off the men, Taeyeon lowered her head once in a curt nod, “Now, actually.”

“Need help?” Jessica raised her chin, looking down at Taeyeon’s attire of choice this night – black mock leather elastic leggings that hugged her curves, white tank top, and her usual black leather jacket. Jessica completed her inspection and smiled somewhat devilishly, “No?”

Looking down at her own clothing, Taeyeon looked back up with a cold gaze and said “Not tonight,” before handing Jessica her katana and walking down the stairs.

Taeyeon could feel Jessica watching her amusedly as she approached the group of men who predictably began leering at her and offering drinks. Taking one last glance at her mistress who gave her a nod, Taeyeon tightened her grip on the long knife she had hidden in her sleeve as she plastered a charming smile on her face, suddenly acting shy.

Fifteen minutes had passed by before Taeyeon was sure that no others would engage and follow her and the men. Waving off an offer for a drink that was obviously laced with a sedative of some sort, she smiled and excused herself outside to “get some air,” offering a small but luring wink at the three. Making sure to give the trio a free shot at her cleavage, Taeyeon got up and walked towards the back door of the club.

As usual, her targets soon followed. Leaning on the wall that lined the alley behind the club, Taeyeon waited patiently as she soon heard the heavy footsteps of the drunken men.  They surrounded her, blocking her from the view of anyone who might have been looking – not that there was. Grinning stupidly, the one in the middle, right in front of her, decided to be brave and reached a hand out to touch her face.

“Pretty aren’t cha. Know who I am? I’m the heir to one of the biggest companies in Asia – Dynacore Financial, ever heard of it sweet cheeks?”

Taeyeon smiled in response and dragged a finger down the man’s chest. Of course she knew of Dynacore, one of the many shady financial institutions that robbed their clients of money with unreasonable interest rates and policies. It was run by the mafia. After a moment, she pushed the man away and broke her way out of the semicircle

Continuing to grin stupidly, the man nodded to his two companions. “Sorry hun, but we can’t let you off so easily, not after buying the drinks you know?” They proceeded to surround Taeyeon once more. “It’d be rude not to pay us back in full right?” His voice grew husky as ersion twisted his face and he placed a hand on the short girl’s shoulder.

Smirking, Taeyeon grasped the hand on her shoulder with two fingers and moved it aside as if she were picking up a horribly smelly piece of waste and dropped it so that it returned to man’s side.

Growing angry, the three men began reaching out to grab her but she was too quick. Too quick for them to react. Too quick for them to even see what had happened when they felt cold steel flash across their throats and blood flowing in a crimson cascade, leaking life out of them.

Wiping the blade off with a white piece of cloth, Taeyeon looked casually down at them as if looking at a piece of blank paper on the floor and narrowed her eyes coolly.

“Don’t touch me, scum.”

She turned and waved her hand as she walked back into the club, four men clad in black suits coming out of nowhere, dragging the bodies into a van.

 

+++++++++