If Only She Knew

SECRETS | 2YEON

Standing still in my dress shoes and dark blue suit, I admire the large doors of mister Im's mansion. They seemed heavy, but despite their intimidating nature, they were left wide-open, as if to wholeheartedly invite every single guest, and take it in its cozy depths. Said depths were greatly lit and decorated, with every piece of furniture feeling as though it was specifically designed for this interior.

"Miss Bang, we are glad you could make it." a young gentleman greeted me at the entrance, extending his gloved hand to politely point over at the interior of the house. He was around his mid-twenties, dark black hair styled in a comb over, while his tall body was dressed in a classy tuxedo. "Mister Im has been waiting for you."

The live music from the main lounge of the mansion drew me in, and before I knew it, I had already surrounded myself with countless rich people. With glasses of wine in their hands, they were split into different groups throughout the whole lounge, chatting and laughing politely. All of them were beautifully dressed; the ladies wore breathtaking gowns, usually in darker tones, while their necks, ears, and hands were decorated with expensive jewelry. The men, as per usual, sported the same looking type of suits, some with ties, some without, and large wristwatches. There were a few that hid their thinning hair with tall hats, that they refused to take off while inside the house. Generally, everyone looked like they were taken out of some royal family gathering, which would make me clearly an outcast. However, my suit was expensive enough, that I somehow slightly fit in. Key word; slightly.

As I stood watching the party attendees, refusing the numerous glasses of wine offered to me, I perked my ears to enjoy the live music. Though, I quickly abandoned the attempt, and let my eyes trail further into the mansion, where mister Im stood, greeting people. His eyes flashed as they met mine, and he politely smiled at me. He wore a dark green suit, a rather strange choice since everyone usually wore blacks and grays, and his whitening hair was slicked back perfectly. The small, thin, and metallic frame of his glasses that he usually wore, was replaced with a monocle. Beside him, his wife stood with her back straight, sporting a long, red dress and black heels. The slightly minimalistic outfit of hers was complete with over the top golden jewelry, which perfectly complemented her slightly tanned skin, that she acquired from her lengthy vocation in the Caribbean. Clearly the host couple were set to make a difference among the rest, hence the vivid color choice of their clothing.

Soon, a young woman joined the couple. Her own dress was equally unique as miss Im's, though she barely had any jewelry on. As she smiled, her cheeks got fuller, and a pair of bunny-like front teeth shone, as if they were pearls. On her hand was the latest iPhone model, which frequently buzzed. From the way miss Im had placed her hand around the younger woman's waist, I soon figured that it was Im Nayeon. My target. My suspect. Well, actually Yoo Jeongyeon's target. And a very good-looking one at that.

In a shift motion, her dark brown eyes of hers had locked with mine. Nayeon seemed to take her time looking at me, while beside her, her parents had also turned to face me.

"Excuse me." Nayeon bowed to the guests, and left her mother's side, approaching me.

Her expensive heels clinked over the music as she walked towards me, for what felt like hours upon hours. I was surprisingly nervous when she stood across of me, her high heels making her a couple of centimeters taller than me. I could feel my ears getting redder the more we looked at each other, not speaking a single word. It was rather puzzling, that my body reacted that way. It was about time I accepted that I was getting old.

"I'm Im Nayeon," she spoke first, but made no move to shake my hand, or bow. She simply threw a quick grin, followed by a mischievous little wink. "I don't recognize you, are you a new partner of my father's?"

I swallowed, bringing my hands out of my pockets, as if to pull out a cigarette. I, I mean Yoo Jeongyeon, had a terrible smoking habit, which takes quite a while to wear off. Bang Eunkyung doesn't smoke.

"I'm Bang Eunkyung," I played it off cool, using my hands to adjust the collar of my suit jacket. However, her eyes never cared to acknowledge my movements, all they did was hold my own almost in a choke-hold. Nayeon's eyes never left mine, not even when someone from behind me tried getting her attention. "I'm not mister Im's partner, I could never be. I'm just a plus one."

Nayeon smirked, and she momentarily turned to check on her parents. They were still in the spot she left them, but greeting different guests. From the smiles on their faces, and the fact that they didn't seem to be looking for her, Nayeon figured they didn't need her by their side anymore. And so, in a quick and swift motion, she grabbed my hand and dragged me outside the mansion and to the back garden.

The garden was huge, and surprisingly dark. From how bright the whole mansion was, it would only make sense that the large, beautiful garden was equally lit. Though, the darkness that engulfed it felt almost comforting, and way less intimidating than the rest of the mansion. As we stepped onto the grass, our eyes took our sweet time to adjust to the lack of light, while our hands remained intertwined. Nayeon didn't seem to dislike it, as she was the one to grab my hand in the first place, nor did she ever let it go.

"I grew up in this place, yet I can't seem to get enough of this garden." she said, randomly plopping down on the grass in her expensive gown. "Something about it just feels so homey; the feel of the grass, the scent of the soil."

I remained frozen on my feet for a moment, contemplating sitting down or not, along with her. I was hesitant, since it was the first time I had ever worn something so expensive. The price of this suit alone was triple my monthly salary.

"The earthiness." I said, eventually giving up my guards and joining her. Her hand left mine for a moment, as she put her buzzing phone on silent. "Maybe, you were a farmer in your previous life."

Nayeon chuckled, turning to look at me into the darkness. Her brows creased in a way so endearing, perfectly framing her face into one of pure happiness. Looking at that expression, along with her big smile, and soft voice, was what I had imagined happiness looked like.

"Maybe." she echoed with a soft sigh, completely oblivious. If only she knew, that Yoo Jeongyeon knew about her farmer parents.

In the silence that followed, I found myself searching harder for her. Our intertwined hands were soon not the only part of us that would become one. Slowly, our lips glued into each other, in the most tender and slow kiss. A kiss that remained tender and sweet, even when it moved from our lips down to my neck and collarbone.

And as Nayeon's eyes fumbled with the buttons of my dress shirt, she whispered; "As much as I like the earthiness, I'd rather keep you to myself." with a laugh she continued, "Do you mind taking this to my car?"

And I nodded, without even thinking about it. I let her grab me and rush me to the car, where we would spend most of the night in. Inside her car, we would get to know each other in a way most strangers usually don't, and we would voluntarily let our thirst carry us through the awkwardness of a new ual encounter. In the most raw, sweet, and slow way, we would intertwine our bodies with almost a teenager-like lust, as if we were seventeen year-olds that had just wrapped their heads around what their bodies were created to do.

If only she knew, that Yoo Jeongyeon had planned everything.

"You should crash at my place tonight." she kissed my shoulder, laying her head on my bare chest, as I breathed heavily.

Without a word, I agreed, flashing the tiredest of grins. Because I'm not Yoo Jeongyeon. I'm Bang Eunkyung.

"You'd look great at my place." Nayeon followed. Her skin was damp with sweat, as she laid there, barely having enough energy to drive us back home.

And after I took that first step into her own mansion, being thrown onto the soft mattress of her bed, as she hurriedly undressed me once more, I knew I would never be walking out of it again.

Not as Bang Eunkyung, at least.