My Nayeon

SECRETS | 2YEON

The morning light peeks through the blinds, that were purposefully left slightly opened, and the room is engulfed in the warm embrace of the sun. From outside the large glass window of the bedroom, the first few morning birds tweet their cheerful tunes, taking the role of an alarm clock— nothing digital is needed, when mother nature has your back. The freshly watered by the night rain lawn stretches on and on in a large garden of many anchors, and ends up in an even bigger pool, whose waters calmly await for any sort of body to tear through its surface. Though, nobody would let the waters take them away. Not before breakfast, at least.

Another Monday had come; a Monday well into what seemed to be the longest summer of our lives. The weather forecast predicts another long week of heatwaves, just like it has done for over a month now. But, heat is not a problem in here, not in this large bedroom. Not in this even larger mansion, that contains said large bedroom. Everything inside this home is perfectly conditioned to my needs and at any command of mine could change into what I wished for. This was the type of life I lived for the past couple of years; everything seemed to be in my control. One wiggle of my finger was enough to rule the world. Or, at least, my own little world.

Tangled up in my white, silky sheets, I yawn and stretch. Like every other morning, I take my time to get up, stumble in and out of the bathroom, until the sweet voice of my girlfriend drives me to the kitchen. There she has been cooking breakfast for the both of us, already in her work clothes, and with her phone in one hand.

My Nayeon was pretty busy. Besides, to make so much money and build a mansion like this one requires a lot of time and skill. Nayeon was a hard worker, out of all the hours in a day, she only left a couple to herself. She devoted her time into her businesses, her estates, and me— a mere failed novelist, Bang Eunkyung.

Despite her busy schedule, my Nayeon was always so pretty. Fairly long legs, toned abdomen, and just the right amount of s. Her arms were strong and her fingers long and thin. Just like her nose, so perfectly crafted by her plastic surgeon. It looked so real, and so cute, just like her plump lips, and rosy cheeks. Finally, her brown hair that she always kept long, framed her small face into an expensive, classical piece of art, that was stolen from some high-security museum for the rich to enjoy all by themselves, without anyone ever laying eyes on it ever again.

My Nayeon and I met at a party of a wealthy man. I happened to have a rich friend who brought me as a plus one, but ditched me later into the night. That is when our paths crossed, and we spent that evening drinking away by the pool. Soon enough, I was dragged away into her car for a quickie, before being brought into this own mansion. After that day, two years ago, I have never left the mansion. How could I ever do that, when everything I need is right here?

"Honey," my Nayeon tells me, her phone still by her ear. "My father is having his annual party tonight. Should I buy you a pretty suit and take you? It's been so long since you last saw my parents."

The annual part of mister Im, my Nayeon's adoptive father. Today, the first of August two thousand and twenty-three, marks our two-year anniversary, which we would spend at that same wealthy man's party in which we met; her father's. Every year for the last five decades, mister Im would invite his wealthy friends and colleagues into his mansion, that laid on a high hill about an hour drive from here. Despite how collective and reserved he is, mister Im sure knew how to throw a party, or at least, pay the right people to organize one, and so I could never turn down the invitation. Besides, I had a special bond with Nayeon's parents. But, I'll make sure to let you know about that another day.

"Aren't you busy?" I replied, already knowing the answer.

My Nayeon never went against her rich, adoptive father's wishes. He was kind enough to adopt her at the young age of ten, and had put his hard-earned money into raising her. My Nayeon had no choice, daddy is always a priority.

"I'll make the time," she shrugged, but I had already memorized the way her eyes shook at the mention of her father. Sure, having such an influential dad must be very demanding. "You know how much daddy loves me."

Of course, I knew. I had first-hand experience of the love that nestled into her parents' heart. But, please, stop trying to guess how. I already told you that I will be informing you at another point. We have a party to get to, at last.

My Nayeon would be leaving our mansion for work, where she would spend most of the day at. Right at nine in the afternoon, she would have a car sent by the house to pick me up, and the driver would apologize on behalf of her. He would me safely to mister Im's mansion, where my Nayeon would be meeting me later into the night. The driver would tell me not to worry, that miss Im's parents love me, and that all I needed to do was to look pretty and smile for the guests.

That was exactly what I would do as I awaited for my Nayeon, dinning and drinking with her parents, until the clock rested its bigger hand at the number eleven. We would dine and wine, deep into our own little secrets, when my Nayeon would emerge from the entrance with a pretty dress that her mother had probably picked for her. After smiling at the guests, like her father taught her to, she would sit at the table I shared with her parents. She would make small talk, and we would exchange silly looks, going along with the conversation.

After dinner and dessert, my Nayeon took my hand and guided me to the back garden. There we slow danced under the stars, in silence, without the need for music. Her head laid on my shoulder, and she closed her eyes, relaxing for the first time today. Without words, we found ourselves laying on the grass, looking at the sky. My Nayeon's phone would ring every once in a while, vibrating inside her small designer bag, in attempts of securing her attention.

My Nayeon's phone would never stop ringing. Not when we ate, slept, bathed. Not even when our bodies collided in sweet and passionate embraces in the middle of the night. My Nayeon was dedicated into keeping her businesses thriving, she was a good businesswoman.

"You know what, honey?" I asked, out of the blue. Well, honestly, it was more out of the blue for Nayeon than for me. My moves and words were always calculated, with these being no exception.

My Nayeon opened her eyes, her hands holding her vibrating phone. On the screen, the name of her secretary faded in and out, as though there was a sense of emergency behind those late night calls.

"What is it, my love?" she would ask back, her focus completely on me. Whenever I was around, all she could do was look at me. I knew it already, hence I used it to my advantage, since the call from my Nayeon's secretary had indeed been in case of an emergency. An emergency I, too, knew too much about.

My Nayeon's hand took mine as we laid there. My Nayeon always worked too hard to fulfill others, she was a hard worker and good at whatever she set her mind to.

Although, what my Nayeon knew what to do best was to keep secrets.

"How does it feel to be a murderer?" I asked.

But, I was much better at revealing secrets.