. F O U R .

Advice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

. F O U R . 

"Congratulations on the new job, Jihye," Uncle Euisoo said with a sly grin. "I had every faith that you could do it."

Jihye rolled her eyes. "No thanks to you. You didn't tell me anything that would have benefitted me before going into the interview! What happened to family before friends, Euisoo?" 

"Don't be like that, Jiji. Integrity is important, and I couldn't air all the family's business out like that." 

"I guess," Jihye relented. "Thanks anyway. Wanna treat me to dinner?"

"Yeah, let's go to barbecue. I'll bring Mina, too. So, when do you start?" 

"Well, I'm giving two weeks notice to my boss at the dentist and one month's notice to all my babysitting clients. I don't want to leave them in a lurch."

"That's nice of you."

"I didn't even think I would get the job. I really didn't think Yuki liked me that much." 

"I heard that the other candidate mentioned Yuki's mother in front of her and the kid started crying. That's probably why you got the job."

Jihye winced. "That's unfornate, but an honest mistake. I probably would have brought her mother up too had you not told me that she's not involved. I guess it really was just down to luck, huh." 

"And you say I didn't give you any useful intel. But give yourself some credit. Babysitting for a well-off family can't be that different from babysitting for any other family. You meet most of the criteria, surely."

"I know, but I'm still kind of nervous. I still can't get a read on Mrs. Park, and she hasn't even mentioned meeting the dad. Will I even meet him? I mean, what father wouldn't want to know who's looking after his child?" 

"Eventually, I guess," Euisoo supposed. 

"Well, you're friends with the guy! Has he said anything?"

"Only that he's glad they finally found someone. And that I really helped him out by recommending someone that he can trust. I'm flattered that he values my opinion so highly, honesty."

"This isn't about you," Jihye said, steering the conversation back on track. 

"Oh yeah. No, he didn't mention anything about you specifically. But you're bound to meet him eventually. Once the NDA is signed and everything."

"Okay, but listen to this and tell me that if I'm close. I'm picturing like a guy in his forties or something. You know, salt and pepper hair. Probably a manager or something. Someone with authority. He comes from a family with money and his wife probably passed away tragically, leaving him to be a single dad to his young daughter, and he's always super busy with work and that's why the grandmother is so involved." 

"You need to stop reading so many romance novels. And you're way off. Apart from the work thing. Anyway, enough with your speculation. Patience, Jihye. You'll find out sooner or later. You're not even gonna believe it. I can't even believe it. Every time I see the kid I feel bad that she has such a hopeless dad. He can't even take care of himself." 

"You're making me anxious. I won't have to call child services and report a case of neglect, will I?" 

"No," Euisoo said, his voice turning eerily serious. "He adores the girl, that much I know." 

. x x x .

Jihye stood in front of the apartment complex- this towering thing that stretched up into the sky almost without end. She'd been expecting a nice neighbourhood, and indeed it was very nice, very private and secluded, but the complex within itself was like a little community, with lots of trees and open space, with plenty of benches and even a little play area for kids. 

There was a fountain, with a little statue of a pissing baby. 

Isn't that a bit much? Jihye thought, and then chided herself for being so judgy. Working for a rich family meant that she was able to get a boost in her own income, and for that, she was grateful. Hell, if Jihye could live in a place like this, of course she would. 

She headed to the reception area where she found the apartment manager who she'd just spoken to at the gate to let her in. She mumbled a generic greeting, and then headed for the elevator while he looked at her sceptically from behind his desk.

Once the door to the elevator closed, she looked at the mirrored wall and smoothed down her hair. Why was she so jittery? She had secured the job- it was hers. And Mrs. Park seemed like a hard woman to please, so if she had chosen Jihye, it was because Jihye was the best for the role and she should just trust in herself and in her skills.

The elevator dinged as it reached the right floor. Jihye walked down the hall, found the right door, and rang the doorbell, her heart pounding in . 

Mrs. Park opened the door. Unlike the times they had met at the cafe, Mrs. Park was dressed casually, and that made Jihye instantly relax. She was just in a t-shirt and jeans, not wearing any makeup, her hair free, not sleeked back. 

"Good afternoon," Jihye greeted. 

"Come in, come in," Mrs. Park beckoned, ushering her inside. Jihye took off her shoes and put on the slippers provided, and then followed behind Mrs. Park as she lead her into the living room. 

"Turn the volume down, Yuki!" She chided. "Why do you always have everything so loud? You'll go deaf!" 

Yuki was sat in front of the tv, watching Naruto in the original Japanese dub. She didn't so much as react to what her grandmother had said.

"That child never listens to me," Mrs. Park huffed. "She purposely pretends I'm not here. I tell her father that he should teach her manners, but she's got him wrapped around her fingers. I tell him you have to be a bit stern with children so that they'll grow up properly, but what do I know? Not like I raised him and his brother." 

Jihye giggled. "I can work on that with her," she promised. 

"Well, let me give you a tour." While Yuki was preoccupied with her tv show, Mrs. Park showed her around. The spacious living room had surprisingly li

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter