relieved

only time will tell

 Ten years later, Kikwang ended up being a mess. He started out strong, going quick into the entertainment business after high school, but then he refused to move on. After years of blood, sweat, and tears you grow weary of training and eventually give up on the dream of becoming a singer. He retreated after he realized that there was no point in wasting his time and moved into a rundown apartment in his hometown. He grew lazy, only coming out of his room to grab a six pack of beer or food, he lost all his friends, made no contact with anyone.

 The popular guy back in high school seemed to have disappeared and transformed into a bumb with no inspiration.

 One day he was walking around the streets, avoiding a meeting with his landlord, and passed by his alma mater. It was after school hours and a group of girls were huddled in a circle, squealing about a nearby guy. He assumed that they were trying to get one girl to talk to the guy but was resistant. He simply smirked, maybe their generation wasn't so different from his after all.

 Eventually he was tired and decided to go inside a convenience store. He headed towards the refrigerated area and took out a can of beer, as he was walking to the cashier he can hear the sound of thunder erupting, then watched as the clouds moved in, rain quickly falling from it. After he purchased his drink he walked outside, making sure to pull his hood up.

 As he walked past his old high school once again, he noticed a girl sitting in the center of the courtyard. An umbrella was perched at her side, yet she refused to open it and allowed the rain to douse her.

 Kikwang shouldn't have helped the girl, she obviously wanted to drown herself in rain, but the weather was becoming worse, and he felt guilty.

 He opened the umbrella and placed it under the girl's small head. After she realized that nothing was hitting her head she looked up.

 "Kikwang?" she questioned. "Lee ... Kikwang?"

 The man jolted at the sound of his name. The voice, it was soft yet weak, but he sensed familiarity to it. He examined the girl, trying to picture a face but he couldn't put the right name to her face.

 "It's me, Jeon Hyosung."

 Hyosung, this helpless girl was Jeon Hyosung. The last time he even saw her was at graduation, they didn't make contact, but they were just a few seats away from each other. She was intending to go to an international school somewhere in New Zealand after high school, to study forensics or something CSI-like, but it seems like she stayed here ever since.

 To be honest, she looked like a mess. Not with the rain, but overall. Her face matured, she probably grew a few centimeters, and gained a kilogram or two, but she wasn't the innocent Hyosung he knew.

 "Do you need some place to go? You're going to get sick." he stated, trying his best to hide his concern.

 She nodded her head. He let out a hand to help her stand up and the two walked side by side in silence. Hyosung wasn't exactly sure where Kikwang's mansion was but she tried her best not to take the lead or fall too far behind.

 Kikwang took notice of her posture, the way she slouched as she was walking, how she voluntarily stepped into every puddle.

 It was weird because he always thought that she'd be the one with a bright future after high school. She should be married, have three kids, and hold a steady job and lifestyle at this point in her life. He didn't see a ring on her finger, there were no kids trailing behind her, nor did she seem like she was in any sort of career.

 It made Kikwang ... relieved. Relieved that he wasn't the only one who screwed up their life.

 * * *

 "Do you want coffee? Maybe a beer?"

 Hyosung looked up from her position on Kikwang's ragged couch and watched Kikwang stick his head out from the refrigerator with another can of beer in his hand. She simply shook her head, she wasn't in the mood for a beverage. He closed the door shut and sat on the carpet, not to far from her legs.

 "Sorry about the mess," he said, moving some ripped up magazines aside. "I haven't had a guest in ... forever."

 Hyosung looked off to her right to what she thought was a slice of pizza try to move out of its old box. Judging by the cleanliness of his apartment he probably never had a guest.

 Why wasn't he a k-pop superstar? He was bragging on the final days of high school of how he got accepted into some company. He should be a rich guy, girls always by his side, not mutated pizzas. The Lee Kikwang she knew would always persevere, but it seems like this Lee Kikwang has given up before it even started. She had so many questions to ask him about what he's been doing, but that wasn't her priority.

 "I just wanted to apologize." she stated, shifting her position on his couch, trying her best to become more comfortable.

 Kikwang simply shrugged his shoulders. "It was ten years ago," he took a swig of his beer and smiled. "I should be the one apologizing anyways."

 "Why?"

 "Because I liked you back."

 And regardless if the term was past tense, Hyosung jumped onto Kikwang, causing him to fall on the ground. She placed her lips against his, trying her best to express all the emotions she's been too stubborn to confess again. How she missed him, how she's been trying to find him, how she's been such a loser since college.

 "Those feelings never changed for me." she confessed, trying to catch her breath after their intense kiss. She looked back at him expectantly, waiting for his response. Without another second passing by, he kissed her back, picking her up and placing her back against his old couch. He hovered over her and gave a cheeky smile.

 "Me neither."

 And that's what being in (love) like was. Even at rock bottom, two people managed to still become happy off of each other. After all these times of silence and anger they finally put it aside because they had nothing else to lose. They are meant to be and they finally found the right time to be together.