... but you always miss what could've been

only time will tell

"Look what Kim Hyuna sent me," Kikwang gossiped one day to his best friend Yang Yoseob. Yoseob look at the Facebook message the girl had sent his friend and it was a confession of her affection for him.

 He gave the phone back to Kikwang. "Does that mean you like her?"

 Hyosung stood up abruptly and asked to go the restroom. She didn't want to hear his response. It wasn't worth it. Hyuna was pretty, so pretty that she caught the other boy's attention, but she rather hear his answer after she got over him. (As if that was going to happen.)

 It was funny how Hyosung fell so hard for Kikwang.

 They started out hating each other, always at opposite ends of an argument, never really appreciating each other's existence, and that's what ended up making them acquaintances. With four classes together it was hard not to talk to each other, so they put the hatchets aside, and realized that they're not that different after all.

 Eventually these friendly feelings turned into loving feelings. She'd spend her days trying to steal a glance to look at him and sometimes he'd be looking at her too. It wasn't an obvious look, it was blank, no emotions whatsoever, she couldn't really decipher what it meant. Was he even looking at her? Or was he looking outside the window?

 It made her wonder if maybe, just maybe, the rising popular kid liked the girl from the suburbs.

 But of course after that, those feelings were gone.

* * *

 The next day, she saw Hyuna and Kikwang talking in the halls. Hyosung quickly turned her head away after she saw the two, it would kill her to even hear what they were talking about. Maybe he was asking her out, maybe he was saying he did like her, whatever it was, it was something that was going to make them the new 'it' couple.

 It even more that they had the next class together, and as he sat down next to her, he noticed something was up.

 "Are you okay?"

 Hyosung lifted her head and smiled her best for the guy. "Of course."

 Little did he know that she was hurting on the inside, and he was the one causing all of the pain to flow.

* * *

 As the days passed, Hyosung promised herself that she would get over him, them, anything in relation to the two. She talked less to Kikwang, tried to not rip apart Hyuna's face, and just try to move on.

 You can't miss what you never had, but you always miss what could've been.

 But Kikwang noticed the change of behavior with Hyosung and always asked her if she was okay, but she'd always reply with the same "Of course.". It was getting redundant, and the more she said it, the more he wanted to find out what was really going on. Did he do something wrong? Did a family member of hers passed away?

 "I thought we were pretty good friends." Kikwang admitted to Yoseob. "She would tell me if something's wrong, right?"

 Yoseob simply shrugged his shoulders. He didn't know much about Jeon Hyosung other than she gets mistaken for being Kim Hyoyeon or Jeon Jiyoon. "I don't know man. Maybe the problem is you."

 * * *

 "What's wrong with you?" Kikwang questioned. He had walked all around campus to find Hyosung, to talk to her alone, but she just kept avoiding him.

 Hyosung shook her head as she laid it low, walking away. "There's nothing wrong."

 Kikwang stopped her from moving and lifted her head up. "Tell me." He demanded, holding her arms tightly. He wasn't going to leave without getting an answer. He needed to know what was wrong.

 "It's nothing."

 "What did I do?" he shouted at her. "Did I mistreat you somehow, did I ignore you when we passed by on the stairs? Come on Hyosung, we're friends, you can't just keep holding all this inside."

 "Well maybe I can't be just friends with you!" she shouted back. Kikwang was taken aback, his grip on her loosening up, and Hyosung took advantage of this to walk away. Before Kikwang could even call her back she turned around. "I like you! But you know what? You don't feel the same way! So just, just go to Hyuna, see if I care!"

 After that day, Hyosung refused to talk to Kikwang. He allowed her to stay mad because he was too stubborn to admit that he did like Hyosung, he was blind all along, and all it took was for her to confess it first.

 "That's just stupid!" Yoseob criticized, unimpressed by his friend's thought process. Kikwang simply shrugged as he looked over to his right, watching Hyosung write in her journal.

 "If it's meant to be, then it's going to be. I don't need to do anything about it and neither does she, because we're going to end up together."