My Aidonis

My Aidonis

Moments like these were rare. It was because of his ignorance that Jiyong never noticed it and realised the value of it.

The way his husband's head titled and lolls against his own shoulder. The longest eyelashes Jiyong has ever seen, brushing cheeks the faintest colour of a ripening peach in the swealtering summer. 

Seunghyun looks the same he did ten years ago, though with a few lines here and there, decorating the space beneath his eyes.

"You're a living replica of a Greek statue." Jiyong used to say to him. To which Seunghyun would reply his signature snort-mixed-chuckle, while thise eyes shining with mirth and a hint of pride, "Really? Like Aidonis' statues?" 

"Like Aidonis' statues." Jiyong blushed. 

However, like every statues of great in ancient Greece, cracking and splitting is a norm to them, a sign of the torment of time. Seunghyun too...is succumbing to it. Exactly like Aidonis' statues. 

Unlike his younger self's raven black hair. There's whites peppering his hair now. More and more fade but noticeable lines surfacing on his chiseled cheeks. Especially, on the side of those thin lips that Jiyong used to kisses every night and still do. What hurts him the most is his eyes, the every same pair Jiyong cherished and the reason he fell for him in the first place.

It hurts him further more that those eyes, once the colour of freshly brewed coffee, had clouded over, devoid of any emotion, and wandering aimlessly, attempting to grant its owner his wishes to admire his art collections again. When they realises nothingness greets the eyes. Seunghyun would, again, give up and try to slip his eyes shut, napping. Or, meditating. Jiyong does not know...

Seunghyun was a art professor at the University of Seoul. And, obviously, an avid lover of the arts. He has a lot of favorite authors and painters. Literature ans art was his life. 

Sadly, all of which Jiyong are not very familiar with, nor taken an interest in. After all, he is just a mediocre music producer, composing tunes and jingles for commercials. What would he know about sophisticated stuff like these? 

He used to find it annoying, the way Seunghyun would just sit and read, and suddenly burst into a giddy mess as he gushes about proses his favorite author wrote. In the initial stage if their relationship, Jiyong would have find it cute. But it started become annoying around the first decade of their relationship. It was exactly like how his elder used to tell him. "What makes you go crazy about him would later makes it insufferable to you." 

Well...now, Seunghyun can't do any of those anymore. And, Jiyong is anywhere near happy. In fact, he is mourning. 

Seunghyun is still considered young but albeit that, diabetes has robbed him his eyesight. Making him blind at the age of 65. Jiyong can tell he is still adjusting but his mental health has definitely taken a toll from it. .

His usual laughters that were bright like a bell are now rendered to scoffs, or low hums, even at the funniest of jokes. These changes is very concerning and Seunghyun is a sensitive soul sunce the very beginning, despite how tough and strong he appears in life. And, it makes it even more worrying for Jiyong.

Seunghyun opened his eyes, it wandered around again...And, they closed again. He looked somewhat dejected after its sixth time of doing it today. 

Jiyong traced and glanced to the general direction of Seunghyun's gaze from before. 

The mock Gauguin paintings on the opposite wall.  The coffee table. The little greek bust of Socrates, they got as souvenir years ago on their trip to Greece, on said table. 
Then, the storing space beneath it. Jiyong noticed stacks of books and magazines are placed there. 

Then, it clicked in his mind. He took the reading materials out. Nose tickled and irratated by the light layer of dust that trails after it when Jiyong took them out.

He can't help but grimaced again when he saw the thickness of the books and the titles, all of which he does not know and found annoying in the past. 
Homer. 
Dostoevsky. 
Cervantes. 
Sōseki.

He was intimidated but he quicjky cleared those thoughts away as quickly as it emerged. He hugged those books close to him and shifted across the living room.

Seunghyun opened his eyes again at the sinking sensation next to him. It might be the warmth radiating from Jiyong's body, or his scent, because Seunghyun immediately knew it was him and hummed softly in question, "What's up, my love?" He mumbled. His voice still deep and smooth like honey. 

Jiyong wanted to shake his head but he realized Seunghyun can't see it. So, he just took Seunghyun's much larger hands into his, intertwining them and rubbing the delicate bones with his thumb. 

"I'm bored and I thought these books look interesting. I thought it's the best time to ask and learn from you. " 

Seunghyun then chuckled, "You know, you've always been a bad liar." His chuckle quicjly died down as he lowered his head, leaning against Jiyong's shoulder, "Thank you..." He whispered.

Jiyong welcomed the gesture, leaning his head against Seunghyun's. He dropped a kiss against his mop of hair. Soft and comfy. Seunghyun smells divine too. His scent composed of the shampoo that they shared and something that is entirely Seunghyun. It's calming.

"Which book would you like me to read to you then?"

"I don't remember what I kept underneath the table anymore."

"There's-" Jiyong was struggling to pronounce the foreign author's name in his head but before he can give it a try verbally, Seunghyun  had cut him off. 

"I don't mind. Just pick the one that you think is the most interesting out of the bunch." 

"Alright."

Before he starts, Seunghyun nuzzled into his neck and pressed a kiss there, sighing, "Thank you for everything..." His grip tightened on Jiyong's hand, "I love you."

Jiyong smiled, lifting his chin with his free hand, placing a kiss him on the lips.  "There's nothing I wouldn't do for you. I love you too." 


Author's note:

Hello everyone, how are y'all doing? It's been a while. I wrote this on a whim some time ago and kept it until now. I still can't get over Big Bang's disbandment. A lot of things have happened since then and I wish they are still together. But, hey, this is life. We don't always get what we want. Idk if I'll be back again but I do know when. So, before I go, stay safe y'all and I wish yall best of luck in life. I'm proud of you guys and you guys are amazing. Thank you for your supports all these years. I am truly humbled and grateful for it.