It Must Have Been Love

30. Begin Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
It must have been love

There was something that Eunbi could never quite comprehend. She had always thought Eunkwang was a great company to be around. She had always had the impression that he was well-liked and popular. Not to say she had the opportunity to see him with his peers much, but he was never seen without his signature bright smile. He was the goofball who made family gatherings fun, after all. He must have been the same silly person with his friends too.

Eunkwang was single for the longest time. Eunbi used to ask him, back when her cousin was still in high school, if there was someone special in his life. She was starting to be interested in boys then. And it was a period in her life when she was a huge fan of romance dramas. It was natural to grow curious of her older cousin’s love life. He would always brush it off, before changing the topic to remind her that she shouldn't date before taking her national exams and to focus her attention on getting into a good college instead. When he was serving in the military, he used to hang out with Eunbi so often during his free weekends that she started to beg him to find a girlfriend. She was sixteen then, and if she was not occupied from schoolwork, she would rather spend her free time with her female friends, be it shopping and laughing over boys.

When Eunbi left for the States, she always expected one of Eunkwang's updates would eventually be that he found a girlfriend in college. Almost everyone she knew dated during their 4 years in college. She did. But that news never did come. She would probe, curious if he was interested in anyone at least but he tended to ignore her questions. Eunbi eventually dropped the topic. Maybe Eunkwang had other priorities in life. Maybe it was a topic he couldn’t discuss with her, however close they were, he could have found it awkward to bring up this topic with a family member. He was probably enduring enough questioning from the elders in the family too. She let slip once, she truly thought Eunkwang was the type of guy who would attract girls easily. It bewildered her, that he was never dating anyone.

"Ha!" Eunkwang scoffed over the phone then. It was Christmas period. They were discussing how in the States, December was a month to spend with your family when back in Korea, it was when everyone was expected to be enjoying the holiday season with a partner instead. Her cousin was spending yet another Christmas without a date. "You knew me forever so you don't see it. I'm not the type of guy that girls notice."

"That’s not true" Eunbi retorted. "You are a nice guy, and you take care of people well. And haven’t you started hitting the gym recently?"

Perhaps Eunbi could understand why Eunkwang wasn’t the kind of guys to stand out back when they were younger. But he was different now, and no longer the scrawny awkward teenager he once was. There was a sense of security about Eunkwang that he didn't used to have. He had confidence that wasn't there when he was 18. She truly believed that he was a good catch, but it didn't seem that Eunkwang had much luck in love. Maybe the timing just wasn’t right for him.

Or maybe, he has yet to meet the right person.

Hwang Ye Rim had the personality to rival Eunkwang's. She was around Eunbi’s height, just a tad shorter than average. But the older girl has a bigger frame and a much bigger presence. She greeted Eunbi with a huge and infectious grin that lit up her round face when they met. Ye Rim also had the warmest hug and the most comfortable feeling when she linked up their arms as if they were old friends, just minutes after their first meeting. Ye Rim smiled easily, and laughed brightly, like there was no reason in the world not to. Her energy was infectious and irresistible. It was obvious from the second that Eunbi met her in person, Ye Rim was quite the force to be reckon with. She had the confidence what Eunbi believed a person in their 30s should have, a person with very specific goals in their life, a person whose eyes were locked on their targets and was progressing well towards it. It was admirable, considering Ye Rim was only a year older than her. More importantly, Ye Rim felt like someone who was enjoying every second of it. It was easy to see why Eunkwang fell for someone like her.

Eunbi found herself really fond of Ye Rim within moments of meeting each other. Maybe it was instinct. Maybe she was just basking in the cheerfulness and the energy that radiated through the couple. She had a pleasant day out with Eunkwang and his girlfriend. They brought her to set up a local phone number first, as they had a long day planned and Ye Rim didn’t want Eunbi to be uncontactable without a Wi-Fi spot. After which, Ye Rim naturally added Eunbi’s new number into her contact list (which Eunkwang pointed out to her girlfriend that she did so without asking permission). They visited two apartments that Ye Rim found online. It was a good neighbourhood, and Eunbi could understand why Ye Rim shortlisted them. Turned out both were quite out of Eunbi’s budget, so the trio gave up quickly and went for lunch at a tonkatsu restaurant. Ye Rim, who had done a lot of research when she heard of Eunbi’s relocation, started listing potential neighbourhoods suitable for a female staying alone. The issue was of course, Eunbi was trying not to overcommit. Rental in Seoul was expensive. After the extremely satisfying meal, Ye Rim announced it was time for shopping. Eunbi considered herself generally quite fond of retail therapy. Still, it was an eye-opening experience when Ye Rim could stay a full hour in a single shop. Despite Eunbi insisting she didn’t need new cosmetics at the moment, she could do very little to stop Ye Rim from wanting to buy her an entire collection of beauty products.

"The weather is different from what you are used to. Also, it’s already spring. And before you know it, summer will be here. You need different set of products for every season. Skincare is extremely important!" Ye Rim persisted as she threw a second bottle of sunscreen into the shopping basket that Eunkwang was holding for her.

"I learn to just roll with it." He whispered to Eunbi as she sent him a pleading gaze.

 

It was a good two hours later before they settled down into a cafe with their arms and feet quite sore. She was as grateful as she was exasperated about Ye Rim’s enthusiasm. Eunbi was quite sure she now had enough facial masks to last till next spring.

"Pity none of the apartments today fit our budget. Rents are so expensive now." Ye Rim noted with a soft sigh as Eunkwang returned with drinks & cakes for three of them. She was still bothered that the day was not as fruitful as she had intended for Eunbi.

"There’s no hurry to find a place. We’ll keep looking.” Her cousin responded.

Eunbi nodded in agreement. "I have a better idea now of what to look for at least. You were really helpful, Ye Rim.”

At the very least, she now had a list that Ye Rim and Eunkwang had jotted down, of a few reputable property sites that Eunbi could spent the next few days researching. She wasn't too fussy to be honest. Of course, given a choice, she would like somewhere close to Eunkwang. For now, she was keeping her options open. She had quit her job and was currently relying on her savings & investments. Granted, she had sufficient emergency funds, and she knew she could pick up some free-lance jobs if required, Eunbi was a cautious person. She probably needed to get used to this uncertainty in her life until she sorted out her current career crisis.

After all, as much as Eunkwang had reassured her he was comfortable enough to give her a loan until she found a job, it wouldn't feel right.

"In any case," Ye Rim continued as she took a sip of her ice green tea. "I would keep combing the property websites for you too. You wouldn’t mind that I put your new number for them to reach you directly though?"

"Go ahead," Eunbi said gratefully. Ye Rim had a better sense of what Eunbi was looking after the day together. She could trust the older girl’s opinions.

"That'll be great. Neither Eunkwang nor I are great at picking up calls at work."

Ye Rim was a nurse at a local hospital. A career that Eunbi thought fit the jovial girl brilliantly. She had the kind of maternal vibes, one that was firm and gentle all at the same time. She was also a great conversationalist, as Eunbi learnt, and even though Ye Rim insisted Eunkwang was the extrovert of the couple.

The older girl was definitely the planner though, as Ye Rim presented Eunbi a full list of recommendations of where to buy new clothes, shoes, furnishing and beauty products. Eunkwang smirked when he noted that Ye Rim had printed out the list.

"I just assumed you would need them eventually." Ye Rim said good naturally, ignoring her boyfriend’s smirk, as Eunbi thanked her profusely. "I asked a lot of my friends and every store here have brilliant reviews."

"Ye Rim doesn't leave anything up to chance." Eunkwang explained, replacing his smirk with a fond smile. "If I want to bring her to a new cafe, I have to get at least 3 referees."

His girlfriend nodded proudly. "Why waste time and money on things that aren’t worth it?"

Eunbi could only smile at that statement.

"Speaking of time," Eunkwang glanced at his watch quickly, "I might need to meet up with Hyunsik and Changsub soon. You two be all right?"

"Oh? I assumed we were joining you boys tonight." Ye Rim replied with a slight frown.

"Ah…” Eunkwang’s eyes widened. “I assumed you two would rather head home early. You don’t like coming to Offline."

Offline was the bar Eunkwang’s band played at every week.

"I never said that. Besides, I haven't been in a while." Ye Rim shrugged. "I assumed Eunbi wanted to watch you boys play."

"What's wrong with the place?" Eunbi turned to her in confusion.

"Oh, nothing’s wrong. I worked shifts so I don’t usually have my Saturdays free. A drinking place is not my first choice for spending my weekend when I do have them free... as much as I like their music. But you are here! I'll join if you want to. If not, we can grab dinner elsewhere."

"You don't have to come, if you are tired." Eunkwang turned to his cousin. "Ye Rim can take my car and drive you home later... with all that."

He gestured towards all the shopping bags between them.

Eunbi found herself smiling at the fact that Eunkwang didn’t insist upon her presence even though she suspected he would love for her to see them play. "I don't mind. I haven't heard you sing in ages!"

...

 

The trio finished their drinks shortly after and got into Eunkwang's car. It was a short twenty minutes’ drive as Ye Rim filled the time asking many questions to Eunbi about their childhood. When they end up reaching in under fifteen minutes, Eunbi suspected her cousin had sped up to end the conversation as early as he could. She narrowed her eyes at him but Eunkwang was actively avoiding looking at her. 

"I supposed I ought to give you a heads up about meeting Changsub…" Ye Rim commented as they got out of the car.

"Eh?” Eunbi turned towards Ye Rim. “You know him well too?

Eunkwang frowned slightly as he locked the car. "Did I never mention? I met Ye Rim through Changsub actually."

"He's an old friend." The older girl nodded. "You'll like him... I think."

"You think??" Eunbi repeated in mild confusion.

Ye Rim chuckled. "It’s hard to explain. We like him. We do. But… you'll understand when you meet him. Changsub can be… a lot."

She hooked arms with Eunbi as they marched behind Eunkwang who led them from the parking lot to the bar. Offline sat along a row of shophouses of restaurants, cafes, and cosy bars. It seemed to be a popular street, with each business having a healthy crowd, but not overly packed that one may find irritable. It was a great spot for get-togethers if you prefer a more chilled ambience, according to Ye Rim. The location was not central enough for this area to be extremely popular, but it was a favourite of everyone who stayed close by.

The bar itself had a very friendly vibe with a retro aesthetic. There were bars that Eunbi would find too chaotic, too loud or too dark. This was not one of those spots. The atmosphere was closer to that of a live house rather than a traditional pub. The crowd was a good mixed of people from their twenties to forties. Packed enough to emit a lively energy once you step in, but peaceful enough when you were tuck away at your table to enjoy the company of your friends. An empty stage sat at the front of the bar with a keyboard, a guitar and a drum kit all set up.

Eunkwang headed straight to the back of the room and that was when Eunbi spotted Hyunsik sitting in the corner alone. It was a booth seat, with long benches on either side, large eno

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter