Numbers

Little Cues: A Dictionary of Affection
Please log in to read the full chapter

006 Numbers

/ ˈnʌm·bərz / plural noun. an arithmetical value, expressed by a word, symbol, or figure, representing a particular quantity and used in counting and making calculations.
Example: Hanbin couldn’t believe counting numbers in Korean can be cute until he met Hao.

Every ranking was a nerve wracking experience - surely, there were some that would say ‘Hanbin, your ranking is so high, you’re a shoo-in’.

Hanbin never thought so simply. There were older survival shows where ranked no.1 was removed from the final line-up, and he was now watching some contestants leaping over ten spots to reach their current position. He leaned back into his seat, blinking as some thoughts whirled into his mind, eyes glancing through the rows of seats and their numbers to mentally count the number of chairs left. 

Besides, there was this inner, burning desire to do well. As someone who had graced the top position, maintaining it was akin to a testimony of his hard work. Did he do well enough this week? Was his performance memorable? Did star creators choose to cast their precious vote to him, of all people? 

And Hanbin knew just how much he wanted to survive, debut and do well.

He swallowed, taking a deep breath to let out an inaudible sigh when his eyes landed on the person beside him. The boy had his fingers raised slightly as he counted the difference between each raised ranking, before exclaiming with a sharp intake of breath. Hanbi

Please log in to read the full chapter