Stares and Gasps

BY CHANCE

                                                                                                                                                                                   Chapter 9

                                                                                       Stares and Gasps                                                                                                                                     

 

 

It wasn’t love yet, Jaemi knew it. She was falling, but not quite so there was still a huge chance that she will not fall completely, maybe some unknown factors will catch her mid-air to stop her from falling, her boyfriend perhaps.  She hadn’t talk to him since she came to Korea. Her schedule and the events that happened made her forget about him. It didn’t mean that she didn’t love him. It’s just that she couldn’t focus on two different things at the same time.

 Being in Korea was a once in a lifetime opportunity, an opportunity not offered to everyone. She had to make most out of it is she wanted to help his family, specially his brother.

So he made a decision after talking to Lou that night, whatever feeling she have for Yunho, she had to kill it right away, she was there to study, not to fall in love.  Lou was right, there were 800 000 of them sharing the same feeling, it will be easier to think that having Yunho will be 1 over 800 000, not to mention that the guy will be leaving soon so whatever bothering her will surely vanish the moment Yunho leave.

 

She woke up that morning feeling determined and refreshed at the same time, thoughts of whatever happened last night were put into rest as she skipped down the stairs to help Yunho’s mother prepare their breakfast.

It was her first time to attend her classes and she was excited and nervous at the same time because Jihye can’t be with her. The girl had loads of stuff to do.

“You will be alright, I’m sure the Dean assigned someone to help you until you’re settled.” Mrs. Jung offered kind smile. “I packed some sandwiches in case you won’t like the lunch you will be served. You are still new to Korean foods so you don’t have to eat if you don’t like it. It will take a while to get used to it.” She was indeed an angel. Jaemi’s mom back home will definitely do the same. She gave her a grateful but sad smile. She missed her mom and Mrs. Jung noticed it and offered her a hug.

“I know you miss them but please try to make friends in the university. It will help you a lot, huh?”

Jaemi nodded and smiled. Mrs. Jung was trying her best to make her feel comfortable and she will not disappoint her. She took a deep breath and help her arranged the table. They were in the middle of such when the rest of the family came down with Yunho who was still yawning and stretching his aching back.

“Good morning,” Jaemi greeted with a bow. Mr. Jung and Jihye answered her with a smile while Yunho gave her a huge grin.

“Hi, good morning,” he said.

Jaemi just nodded and sat down as Mr. Jung started to eat.  No one said anything while eating as the head of the family wanted to eat quietly as much as possible. Jaemi was the first one to finished and waited for Jihye so they can go to school together. They left without Yunho a glance in which he found very odd.

 

The university was so huge that Jaemi thought it will take time for her to learn her route. Thankfully, the dean’s secretary gave her a map so she could easily find her classes. The dean was more than happy to see her. Her credentials really spoke for her and the professors were already talking about her even before she decided to take the offer of studying there.

Everyone was staring at her while looking for her room. No one helped, no one tried. They were looking at her like she was some kind of a weird kid. Someone even scoffed when she entered the wrong room. Jaemi thought that maybe because she was a foreigner and not everyone was very welcoming to one. But there was more to those stares that were thrown at her. It wasn’t because she was a foreigner; it was because she came with Jung Jihye.

 

***

“So, you are that international student they were all taking about,” a girl with a slightly pink hair at the bottom of her locks and red lipsticks asked. She just found her room and settled at the empty desk beside the window at the back, a typical place for new student.

“Ah… yeah.” Jaemi said with a slight nod. She was afraid to start a conversation to anyone because her Korean wasn’t that good yet and since the lady was that first one to approach her, she wanted to establish a good first impression.

“So, why are you with Jung Jihye?” It was straight forward and Jaemi was quite confused as to why the lady was asking her about Jihye which belonged to other class, with different course. The girl she barely knew was looking at her like it was her obligation to answer her.

Jaemi knew she wasn’t obligated to answer the question and she didn’t like the girl’s way of asking her. Luckily, the professor for the first period came and started without even sparing a glance to the new student.

The day went on with Jaemi taking notes as 3 periods came and before she knew it, it was lunch period and most of the students went out to get their lunch at the cafeteria. She stayed inside and got the sandwich that Mrs. Jung prepared for her when she noticed that she wasn’t alone.

“Hi,” a girl, with a black hair and simple white tshirt and jeans spoke. “I’m Sora, you are?”

“Jaemi,” she answered and took the offered handshake.

“You’re from the Philippines, right? I bet you really have good grade since this school rarely accepts exchange students.”

“Oh well..” Jaemi didn’t know to answer. She didn’t want the other to think that she was full of herself if she agreed so she just gave her a small smile and continue to nibble at her food.

“Don’t  mind Hyubin too much. She’s just all talks.” Sora once again said neglecting the fact that Jaemi wasn’t interested. Mrs. Jung told her to get new friends but not to that class who gave her the strangest stares since she walked in. “Let’s go to the cafeteria, I’ll treat you to lunch.”

Jaemi gently decline, it will not be right to accept an offer from a stranger.

“Come on, its rude to decline an offer from someone who wants to be your friend.” With that and a sweet smile, Jaemi didn’t have a choice but to come with her.

 

 

***

Like the first time she stepped into that university, everyone was staring at the two of them when they entered the cafeteria, making Jaemi uncomfortable. Everyone must be really used to a foreign student or maybe they just want to skin her alive.

Sora gave her an assuring smile and guided her to the table near the window, a bit far from the others and Jaemi was glad.

“I’ll go get us some food.” And then Sora left, leaving Jaemi alone as the whole place was still looking at her. She wanted to scream and let the earth swallow her alive. She didn’t want any attention and yet the whole place or maybe the whole student body was giving her exactly what she didn’t want and it was making her so uncomfortable.

She ate her food and thanked Sora and went back to their room, leaving her new friend behind. She couldn’t stay there any longer. The never ending stare was too much to handle, borderline scary. She wanted to go home already but she knew better, the girl was under an international scholarship and slacking on her first day won’t be a good idea. She endured the remaining hours of the day and was glad when the final professor bid goodbye. Like a free bird, she was all smiles when she went out that building and saw Jihye waiting for her at the university quad, finally a familiar face.

“How’s your first day?” Jihye asked while she hooked her arms to her. And the stares started again but Jaemi had enough to care anymore. She was more than glad to go home but the two of them suddenly stopped when they saw an audi parked at the side of the university gates. The car was slightly flashy so it was getting unnecessary attention from the students leaving the gates. To the surprised of others and to the horror of Jaemi, Yunho emerged from the car and wave at them happily like it was the most casual thing to do that day. Cue the gasps.

 

 

 

*****

 

Yeah... I'm back...

aejae22

BY CHANCE