Somebody Should Kiss You

First Kiss
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Few hours earlier...

 

"Are you sure this will work?" Jeongyeon studies herself in the mirror, unsure whether the flashy outfit Jihyo had forced her to wear will give her the advantage of getting Mina's attention. "Of course! That outfit got me the role on the audition Mom had forced me to join in." Jihyo answers as she taps on her phone. Jeongyeon sighed blandly, "I looked like a mexican club singer." she complains, "Give me a sombrero, amiga! And I'll be singing Un Poco Loco from Coco!" she added shaking her in a comical manner. Jihyo laughs at the reference and at her bestfriend's failed attempt of mimicing a flamenco dance. The movie reference brought back a fond memories of her dressed up as Miguel on one of their family halloween party. "Oh, please! You will not pass as Miguel. You are bad with accents!" she replied throwing a pillow at her bestfriend as the other tried to avoid it, "And you dance like you had two episodes of ." she added.

 

Jeongyeon stops from her ridiculous dancing and gave her a reproaching look, "Excuse me? Haven't you heard my 'I love you' in french?" Jihyo put down her phone and raise a brow at her friend looking unamused, "It wasn't impressive. And besides, it wasn't that long!" she replied and resume tapping at her phone. "Who are you even texting at the moment that you cannot pay your fullest attention to me?" the girl asks.

 

"None of your business!" Jihyo replied dismissively. Jeongyeon grinned at her reply, when Jihyo keep something from her, she always makes it her business, "Oooooooh.... but you see, my friend. It's always my business to know what's going on with you. I'm nosy as ! Blame my grandma for that! Bless her soul!" Jeongyeon attempted to make the sign of the cross, but ended up flicking her hand here and there then clasps both of her hands as if in prayer. Before darting her attention back to Jihyo, "Don't use the deceased for your lack of social manners." Jihyo commented before finally setting her phone down and got up from her bed, "Now, are you ready to go serenade Miss Myoui?" she smiles, and Jeongyeon nodded enthusiastically. 

 

Jihyo's plan is for Jeongyeon to serenade her other bestfriend. Sana mentioned earlier that Mina's parents are out for the night to meet with her parents to discuss some business regarding her father's company and Jihyo thought it was the perfect moment to push her friend to do another kind of pursuing aside from annoying Mina the whole day. But when Jihyo parked her car at the side of the road close to Mina's house, her other bestfriend just updated her nightly routine which included a dinner with her parents. Confused, she texted Sana to inquire about the business meeting the Myoui's supposed to be having with Sana's parents; the girl responded with a short reply, "cancelled."

 When she explained it to Jeongyeon that they need to abort from their mission. Jeongyeon nodded in understanding. What she didn't expect is for Jeongyeon to be leaving the guitar at the back of the car and walked straight to the lawn passing by the front porch and climbed the tree next to Mina's window. She began to break sweat as she glance around for a nosy neighbor to call the police on her bestfriend. Sighing in relief when she haven't noticed anyone... yet. And finally relaxed when she saw Mina pulling Jeongyeon inside the room. SHE wasn't expecting that.

 

Worried and curious she scrambled inside the car to look for her phone, realizing it seconds later that it is mounted to the phone holder in front of her, "Duh, Jihyo!" she said smacking her forehead before grabbing the device. As she lift the phone in front of her the screen lit up and she taps swiftly to type in a text to both of her bestfriends, "Yaaaaah... what's happening in there?" she inquires, but no one bothers to open her message and reply. She debated if she will step out from her car and follow her friend whether from Jeongyeon's way of entry or just walk directly to the front door and ring the bell. But then she thought that will get both of her friends in trouble. Jihyo is aware of how strict Mina's parents are. It is only by luck that allows Mina to attend the school ball because Mina's mother is the PTA president and the parents were the ones who encouraged the school board to have these kinds of events for their children as part of "wholistic experience". Mina's mother isn't keen to taint her supportive parent image, regardless of how she is against such activities.

 

She bites her nails as she waits nervously inside the car. She's not even sure why she is nervous. Mina didn't shout when she saw Jeongyeon outside from the window dangling like a monkey, instead she had pulled her in. That should be a good sign, right? "But, what's taking them too long?" she murmurs. Her eyes grew big and she opened her window to glance at the litted room, "They weren't making out in her room, were they?" she shakes her head, "I'm sure Mina is not like that." she said it as if to convince herself, then she shakes her head again this time she hit her head. HARD. "Yeah... But Jeongyeon is not a saint!!!" she said it aloud. 

 

She thought she is losing her mind for talking alone in the car, especially having a conversation with herself aloud. "Damn it, Yoo Jeongyeon!" she swears. "What are you up to?" after fifteen minutes she saw two figures appear next to the window until the curtain is swept aside and Mina is pushing her bestfriend out the window. Jihyo silently watch the two as they bicker from the window. She saw Mina's pleading face as Jeongyeon chuckles and got out from the window, Jihyo's heart thump loud in her chest. Jeongyeon was always a good climber, but never a good descender. Jeongyeon clearly examining her way down as Mina supported her. It was a relief to her side, no matter how annoyed Mina gets towards Jeongyeon, she still held onto the girl's shirt as Jeongyeon twisted, and turn to face her. Jihyo almost swore when she saw how close their heads are. It felt like she was watching a romantic movie where the main characters are about to kiss, "Are they..." she gasps when Jeongyeon reach for Mina's cheek and angled her face to place her lips against Mina's. Jihyo was expecting for Mina to push the girl, but she didn't. Instead, she kissed Jeongyeon back. It was too visible for Jihyo to see. The light from Mina's bedroom is too bright to let her witness all that. The two finally parted and Jihyo releases the breathe she was holding. She wasn't even sure why she held her breath as if she is part of THAT kiss.

 

Well... to her it felt like she had live through that kiss. Which is weird. She shakes her head to clear the fog off her mind. Jeongyeon leaped away from the window and hit the ground with a loud thud. Oh boy! That will leave a mark. Jeongyeon might not be able to walk for a week, she thought.  "I'm okay..." she hears her groan. Maybe to assure Mina, or her who is obviously worrying inside the car. She honked her horn to get Jeongyeon's attention and her bestfriend did stand awkwardly before running towards her waiting car, she opens the car door for her and yelled, "Yaaaaaah... Yoo Jeongyeon! What was that!" followed by an awkward laugh at her friend who had jumped happily even clapping both her feet in the air. The obvious joy in her face made her stomach queasy. Jihyo blasted her stereo to distract her thumping heart and "What is Love" by Twice came through the speakers. Great.

Jeongyeon finally reached the car, jumped in and close the door. Jihyo looked up and met Mina's gaze and she sent her other bestfriend a wave which Mina responds with a glare. Fear and confusion gutted her and she stepped on her gas making a screeching sound of her tire against the pavement.

 

- - -

When they hit the highway she stops the music blaring from her speakers. She wants to know what had happened between her bestfriends and the noise is making her dizzy. Jeongyeon still touching her lips in desbelief. She didn't intend to kiss Mina, but it just happened. "Yaaaaah... are you still busy fantasizing about that kiss Yoomeo?" Jihyo teases her smile is forced but Jeongyeon didn't caught on it. She was too busy with her own musings. "I don't know, Ji. It just happened. It was a spur of the moment thingy... I only intended to say goodnight, but was kind of there and it just happened." Jeongyeon replied her voice dreamy and drips like honey. She pry her hand away from her lips and clasped at her chest, "I think... I love her." she murmurs, Jihyo heard it loud and clear. "You kind of already admitted that earlier..." Jihyo replied, Jeongyeon glance to face her and her smile beaming, "Yeah... but this time it just... solidifies. ! If my mind is like this after a mild kiss, what happens to my brain if we really..." 

"Da... da...da.... daaaaa... daaaaaaaaaaa... TMI! TMI!" Jihyo shouted cutting Jeongyeon's sentence, "I wasn't talking about that, you !" Jeongyeon hit her and they both laugh. "I meant, if we really deepen that kiss!" Jeongyeon follows through. Jihyo raises her brow, "That kiss wasn't deep enough for you?" she inquires, "From my point of view it was kind of DEEP-deep!" she commented. Jeongyeon shook her head, "There wasn't even a tongue involved!" she tells her, "Well... I tried-"

 

"Yuck! I wasn't even asking about the details of that kiss. Just asking for details what lead to that kiss. Mina will be really disappointed that you are the kiss and tell kind of girl!" Jihyo teased. 

 

"Heeeeey.... You're the only one I'm telling about this. It's not like I am parading around and telling every soul that I have kissed her. Besides, how am I going to keep this a secret when you were there to see it all! All I'm saying was I tried to deepen it, but she kind of..." Jeongyeon pauses for a drammatic effect or what she didn't know.

"Kind of what?" Jihyo probes the pregnant pause made her worry for some reason and she's still unsure what she was worried about. Too many reasons and it was hard for her to narrow it down, especially so that her feelings is affected when she had witnessed two of her favorite people just smooched not just to make out but the kind of kiss you only see in movies. 

 

"She kind of... froze." Jeongyeon said and face the window her happy demeanor vanished and changed into something Jihyo cannot read. She didn't follow-up. Somehow Mina's reaction made Jeongyeon sad, and it only proves her bestfriend is genuinely in love with her other bestfriend. Even if she thinks it is impossible and stupid to fall that fast and hard.

 

"So, does this mean she's going out with you to the dance this Friday?" Jihyo asks few minutes later . Jeongyeon shook her head, "Momo already had asked her out." Jihyo stepped on the breaks causing their body to lurch forward, luckily they are out of traffic and she's just turning to Jeongyeon's street, "Heeeeey... easy! You have a delicate passenger!" Jeongyeon commented holding onto the dashboard, "Then why did she kissed you back?" Jihyo questions. Jeongyeon smiled, "She really did, didn't she? I thought that was only in my imagination!" the playful smile back in her friend's annoying face.

Jihyo smacked the back of her head, "Get back to reality here with me!" she said angrily, "Why did she kissed you back?" she probes. Jeongyeon glared at her, "How should I know? I think she's the one you should be asking that question. Not me!" She's right. Jihyo should be asking Mina. Not Jeongyeon. She's getting riled up over that kiss and it's not a good thing. "Get out!" she said, Jeongyeon shook her head, "I'm still few blocks away!" she protested. "Your house is visible from here, Jeong. Get out!" she repeats and Jeongyeon rolled her eyes. "I don't know what's your problem, but I am such in a good mood to ruin it arguing with you. So, good night Ji. I will tell Sana to give you a kiss too. Maybe that will help with your menopause!" she said before sliding out from the car. Jihyo glared at her, even that comment made her twice as angry as she was. "I'M ONLY 17! YOU STUPID FU-" Jeongyeon slammed the door on her face and gave her a mocking wave before bolting to her street. Jihyo honks her car twice as hard as she did earlier back in Mina's house. Jeongyeon's laughter filled the empty street as she run towards her house.

 

- - -

Jihyo texted Sana that night, she didn't care if it was late. Sana mentioned before when they started talking privately that she doesn't mind even if it is three in the morning, as long as she thought about her. This time though she wanted someone to talk to, not specifically about the details of Jeongyeon and Mina kissing. She wouldn't betray Jeongyeon like that. Or Mina for that matter. 

 

"So, are you going to tell me what's really bothering you?" Sana asks her sleepy voice instantly gave Jihyo the comfort she needed. "I'm just... not myself tonight." she shared.

 

"And what made you said that?" Sana asks with a yawn. Jihyo felt guilty for keeping her on the line this late, "Look, we don't have to do this. You can go to sleep now. I guess, I just wanted to hear your voice." she said. Sana shakes her head, "Nooo... no, it's fine. I'm sorry I don't mean to keep on yawning. It's not that I'm bored. I'm just tired from the competition this afternoon." Sana explains. 

 

"Hence the reason you should go to sleep now. We can talk tomorrow." Jihyo reassures her. Sana blinks her eyes to shake off the sleep, "I said no. I want to talk to you. You look like you have something on your mind, and it obviously bothers you." Sana tells her, "Please, Ji. I want to help you with it." Jihyo sighs and nodded, "Okay. I have a friend that has a friend..." Sana laughs at that and it confuses Jihyo, "What???" she asks, confused.

Sana covers to stifle her laughter, "Is this about you?" she asks in between her stifled laughter. Jihyo shakes her head, "It's okay, Ji. I will not judge." she reassures her. 

 

"Why do you have to be so perceptive sometimes?" Jihyo complains, Sana smirks at that, "Well, I love observing people." 

 

"You clearly do." Jihyo replied, "You quite check them out a lot too." Sana only shrugs, "Okay. Back to your problem. What's bothering you? And please, don't beat around the bush!" Sana tells her this time. 

 

Jihyo told her about the growing affection of Jeongyeon towards Mina, and although the other girl always rejected her other bestfriend, she noticed the change in Mina. She told Sana all about her observation except the kiss part and Sana nodded in understanding without interrupting Jihyo. This kind of support from Sana made Jihyo confess about what she had felt tonight. The way she felt angry and confused about Jeongyeon's blabbering and had asked Sana what she thought about it. True to her words, Sana didn't judged her, or about it. She simply put out, "Do you think the reason you're feeling this way is because you are jealous of the attention Jeongyeon is giving to Mina?"

 

"Jealous??? I'm not jealous! I'm annoyed!" The sound of her voice startled the both of them. Sana raises a hand in placating manner, "I don't mean it in a romantic way, don't get me wrong." she said. "What I'm trying to say is... you're used to having her attention all to yourself even if Jeongyeon is in relationship with what's her name. Maybe you're worried that this time it's different. That when Jeongyeon finally convinces our dear Mina, her attention will be divided. We both know how crazy she is with Mina!" Sana explains. Jihyo ponders about this. Sana is making sense. Jeongyeon may have been in a relationship with Irene for the passed three years, but she wasn't the one who is fully invested in that relationship. From what Jihyo had witnessed in that toxic relationship is that Jeongyeon had stayed because that girl always threatens to get back at Jihyo. But when that girl finally chooses someone over Jeongyeon, her bestfriend found a way out. The heartbroken facade and transferring to different school wasn't about the fallout. It's about finally embracing her freedom. And Jihyo was actually happy for her bestfriend. Their reasons for pretending not to know each other when they are in school was always due to Jeongyeon's crazy pursuers, the ex for example, who always target Jihyo whenever they can't get Jeongyeon. And vice versa. People always mistaken them as something more because of how close they were. "Tell me I'm a genius." Sana commented when she had fallen silent for a moment. 

 

Instead of telling her that she went with, "Why are you so good with this things?" Jihyo questions, Sana smiles and she noticed it wasn't the same bubbly bright smile. This smile is something sad. Sana pursed her lips, "It takes one to know one." she replied simply. Jihyo thought about that statement and this time Sana chuckles, "Please... don't try to analyze me this time. Don't even try to read on that. You still have some on your plate to deal with. Why don't you chew on that first before you try to study the life of Minatozaki Sana and her charms..." the girl waggle her brows which made Jihyo laugh. Suddenly her burden had lessen and almost said the three words to this girl. "Good night, Jihyo." Sana was the first one to say it, "Thank you for always listening." Jihyo replied. 

 

"Always..." Sana replied softly before ending the call not letting Jihyo to wish her goodnight, "Jaljayo, Sana-chan." Jihyo whispers to her phone. 

 

-----

Present day

 

The next morning, Mina marches into the hallway of their school. She's agitated due to lack of sleep. It's not because Jeongyeon had kissed her, well, maybe because Jeongyeon had KISSED her and she's taking her anger on anyone who look her way. Poor people, if looks could kill. It's a mass murder!

 

She spotted Jihyo standing next to her locker and busy taking books from her own locker. Somehow feeling the daggers being sent her way she glance to her side and saw Mina approaching like there's about to happen. She opened to greet her friend, but Mina raised a hand, "Don't you dare say good morning! Or I'll swear I'm going to choke you!" she warns. 

 

"What's with the attitude?" Jihyo inquires, "I cannot believe you just did that!" Mina accused.

 

"Did what?" Jihyo inquires her voice echoing the tone of Mina.

 

"You drove her to my house and let her assault me." Jihyo's mouth agaped in disbelief. She grabs onto Mina's arm, to which the other pry away the moment their skin touched, "Keep it down!" Jihyo hushes."If people hear you, they might think it's true!" 

 

Mina let out a bitter laugh, "Are you trying to cover up what Jeongyeon did to me?!" her voice now loud for every prying ears to hear. Jihyo was glad it was still early and only few students are in the school and most of them have their big earphones on. But, still. People are around. Mina's behavior is making Jihyo mad, she's mad because Mina is acting like a child and playing the victim card as if she didn't kiss Jeongyeon back, "As if you didn't ki-" 

 

"SHUT UP" Mina cut her off, "People will.." this time it was Jihyo who laughs maniacally, "And now you don't want people to hear why you are throwing a tantrum and telling me to shut up?!" she tells her. Mina glared, rest a hand to her hip and look up, "Grrrrrrrrrr.... I HATE YOU!" she grunts before shoving Jihyo aside and open her locker door. Jihyo dust it off with, "The feeling is mutual! You ing hypocrite!" she said before storming off. She isn't the one to swore off easily like that, but Mina's mood affected her that much. As if all her irritation and confused feelings from last night resurfaces all of a sudden.

 

Some students were looking at their way, some had paid attention during their conversation and somehow some of them got to record it. First period and everyone's phone kept on buzzing and pinging with messages. Words travel fast. Rumors starts to circulate and Jihyo felt guilty for shouting at Mina earlier. Her friend was upset, it was understandable. She could have been the bigger person and apologize, but instead she responds differently. Mina is burrying her head on her journal. Obviously trying to avoid everyone's gaze on her. Momo tried to speak to her, but she was too humiliated to face her. "This is ing... wow, just wow!" muttered Sana. The girl had been reading the gossip column and Mina was sure they probably believe all those rumors that Jeongyeon played the two. The reason for the fight was one caught the other cheating on her bestfriend. Et cetera. You know how kids exaggerates stuff or take things out of context and making it a big deal.

 

"Jeongyeon! I thought I was your type?" questioned Nayeon. This got Mina's attention and jerk her head up to look at the girl sitting on the corner of the room. Jeongyeon didn't respond only glance at Jihyo, before twisting her torso to glance back to her direction, but Momo blocks her view. "The lady is asking you a question!" it was the first time Mina had heard Momo talk like that. She understands that Momo is only trying to protect her, but somehow... a little piece of her wanted to take a peek at Jeongyeon. She avoided the girl when she walked in the class, avoided everyone to be exact. But somehow, at that moment she wanted to see Jeongyeon. She wanted to see a glimpse of those eyes she secretly like. But Momo didn't let her. Jeongyeon had probably turn around because Momo's stature seems to relax a bit. 

 

"I'm sorry, Nayeon. You're really pretty, but I like someone else." Jeongyeon replied softly. Nayeon clicks her tongue in disapproving manner, "Your lost." she said flatly.

 

"I thought you said you like me." She heard Dahyun said behind her. It was soft, but she was sure Jihyo and Tzuyu had heard it as well. She glance back, but the girl already plastered her default smile. Mina let out a weak smile, her gaze fall onto her best friend. Jihyo tried to say something, but she quickly averted her gaze. Mina is always the straightforward kind of person, and she tells people to back off when she wants to. It will take a little bit of time before she comes around, and the betrayal she felt is still fresh. Jihyo sighed but said nothing.

 

 

When the third period had finished and they were given a free time, Mina managed to avoid everyone and made it to the rooftop. Her favorite spot in the building and a place where she ran to whenever she wanted to think or relax. Not a few minutes had passed and she heard the door open, and then close. She turned around and found Jeongyeon standing few feet away. Her heart starts to thump like crazy as Jeongyeon padded her way towards her, every step made her feel dizzy and intoxicated. She held her breath when the tall girl stops a few inches away from her face, they stared at each other. Jeongyeon is not talking like the usual, this time she's looking at her differently. Like she isn't mad, or sad, or annoyed. Just kept on staring at her as if trying to figure something out. "Wh-what are you doing up here?" Mina managed to ask her voice soft and shaky. Jeongyeon stared at her lips for a second and she did the same, at the briefest moment they stared at each others' lips until Jeongyeon move her gaze and catch hers. Mina stared back, her breath shallow and uneven. Mina began to break a sweat from their moment of silence. She's always uncomfortable when it comes to this kind of scenarios, but at the very moment it wasn't the silence that kept her on edge. It was the way Jeongyeon is studying her. When Jeongyeon reaches out and caresses her face her skin tingles and she shivers, seconds later Jeongyeon's lips is against hers and they are kissing. AGAIN. Mina wasn't sure who started to move their lips together, either she started it or Jeongyeon had deepen the kiss. This kiss is longer than what they had shared last night. This time there are tongues involved. And this time, Mina responded with equal fervour and vigor. Jeongyeon really knows how to kiss and Mina genuinely liked that her breath smells and tasted like spearmint. It was Jeongyeon who had pulled away first, but didn't let go of her hands that are cupping Mina's face. They are both panting and she's trying to discern what had just happened, Jeongyeon leaning her forehead against hers, "I know it wasn't my imagination playing tricks on me when I kissed you last night. I felt it. You kissed me back, like how you kissed me back just now. You kissed me back." she repeats. There was a sad tone on Jeongyeon's voice, and it tugged on her chest. She's still dizzy from the kiss, too intoxicated with Jeongyeon's scent that lingers around her. "I know I have stolen your first kiss. It wasn't my intention for you to hate me, I like you." There Jeongyeon had said it. A confession she ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter