Chapter 2

My Realistic Fantasy

     I stood in front of the dorm room. I was happy that school was over so I could just lay on my bed and not do anything...or waste time on the internet. I was nervous though, who was my roommate? What if she didn't like me? That would make this whole school year a lot harder to deal with. I just stared at the room. Is she already here? All these questions zipped through my head. Agh, whatever. Just as I was reaching for the handle, the door opened. A girl with curled hair that was a little shorter than me came out of the room and accidentally ran into me, causing me to stumble backwards.

 

“Oh, I'm so sorry.” She said as she bowed. I smiled, at least she was polite.

 

“You're fine.” I told her. She looked over and looked at the luggage I carried with me.

 

“Are you my roommate?” She asked me with big eyes.

 

“Um...I don't know. Haha, I'm suppose to be in that room though.” I said with a laugh.

 

“So you are my roommate!” She exclaimed with a little jump.

 

“Um, sure.” I said with a cautious tone. This girl had too much energy, it was practically radiating off of her.

 

“My name is Eunmi by the way.” She said as she stuck out her hand.

 

“I'm Minji.” I said as I took her hand. She smiled at me, showing her dimples. She then proceeded to drag me into the room. I was a little bewildered as I followed her. “Did you have somewhere to be?” I asked as she pushed me into the room.

 

“No, I was waiting for you to show up, but you didn't after an hour so I decided to go out and just wander around. But you're here now! That means we can do whatever!” She said with a happy smile while clapping her hands together. She already piled all her stuff on the bed at the right side of the room so I took the left one. I began to take my clothing out and put it into the drawers. Eunmi was rambling about some drama playing tonight but I didn't hear her. I was busy thinking about the homework tonight and when I could actually have free time, or go to sleep.

 

“Hey Minji?” She suddenly asked from behind me.

 

“Yeah?” I replied without looking at her.

 

“Do you have a boyfriend?” She suddenly asked. I almost rolled onto the floor laughing.

 

“No, why?” I asked in between laughs.

 

“I don't know, just wondering. Why are you laughing?” She replied with a pout. I slowly got up, still laughing a little.

 

“It's just, I've never thought about love or dating before. I've always been pretty independent and never actually thought of marriage.” I smiled at her. It was true though, never once have I ever thought about dating. Sure there were some guys I felt attracted to, but all feelings died sooner than later.

 

Maybe it's cuz you can't get a boyfriend so you never try.” I heard. I shook my head. I need to go to sleep sooner today no matter what. Eunmi just nodded her head in thought. She then pulled me out of the dorm with her.

 

Where are we going?” I asked as I was being dragged along with her.

 

To eat dinner of course.” She told me with a smile as she looked back. I just smiled in return.

 

†††

 

     I ended up sitting with Kyuhyun, Eunmi, and Jihae for dinner. Kyuhyun's snarky, sarcastic remarks immediately charmed Eunmi. She was giggling almost all dinner. We sat there talking about our lives in high school and all the sleepless nights we spent, studying for entrance exams. Jihae won with a record of sleeping two hours every night for five months before the test plus the little amount of free time she got. Jihae was almost as sarcastic as Kyuhyun. I sat there nodding and laughing along rather than talking much. By the time we left, it was already 7:30 PM. Precious study time was being lost and I had to hurry back. I stood up to place my tray on top of the trashcan and was shouldered by Kyuhyun, forcing me to stumble. I only glared at his back. When I got to the trashcan, I gave him a playful punch. He glared at me before smiling. Over his shoulder, I could see Eunmi eyeing me carefully. Well, better explain to her AGAIN how Kyuhyun and I were just best friends. It was obvious she has taken an interest in Kyuhyun. I walked over to Eunmi and grabbed her arm.

 

Let's go.” I told her with a smile. She eyed me carefully but allowed me to drag her. I could tell she was going to question me when we got back to the room. Sure enough, the moment the door closed she tackled me with questions.

 

How long have you known Kyuhyun?” She asked me, trying to hide the prying tone. It wasn't working.

 

Since I was like, born. I've known him for as long as I can remember.” I told her with a laugh. Her eyes narrowed. Uh-oh. She probably thinks we're high school sweethearts or something.

 

He's like, extended family.” I tried to explain. “Kyuhyun really is a great brother to have.” I told her. When she noticed the sincerity of my voice, she became the warm Eunmi from this afternoon again. Honestly, if she wanted to get together with Kyuhyun, she'd only have to ask me. We ended up doing homework till eleven before turning on her laptop. We watched Coffee Prince till 1:30 before I told her I really couldn't keep my eyes open anymore and went to change into pajamas. I fell asleep the moment my head touched the pillow.

 

 

I didn't really know where I was. I was just kind of wandering around. The place looked really sad and gloomy though. The sky was gray and cloudy and there were dead trees along the cracked, dirt path I was walking on. My feet led me down the path for eternity before I found myself in front of a pit.

 

Jump.” I heard someone say. I didn't really want to jump in. I could only see the edge of the pit but the thing sent chills down my spine. I didn't want to go near it, I wanted to just turn around and run back up the path but I found myself at the edge of the pit anyways. I looked down into the pit. Bodies like zombies were on top of each other, trying to get out. I wanted to back up but it was like my feet were glued to the ground.

"Jump." I heard again. I was shaking now. There was no way I was going to jump into that pit.

"Jump." The voice urged again. I looked down into it and gulped. Jumping into this? I tried to back away again when one suddenly grabbed my ankle and I screamed before everything turned black.

 

     I woke up sweating and panting. I put my hands to my chest and felt my rapid heartbeat. I could actually see the room and it took a while before I realized that the room had a soft glow because of the lamp. I went to the bathroom and splashed water on my face before looking into the mirror. This is gross, I looked green. A sheen of sweat began to appear again on my face when I remembered my dream. I quickly splashed more water on my face before I crawled back to my bed. I checked the time on the alarm clock and frowned. It was only 4:30. Classes didn't begin till 8:00 so I still had a lot of time to sleep. I closed my eyes and drifted into a light sleep. I didn't see any more weird pits and gloomy paths.

 

†††


 

    I woke up again at 6:30, an hour before our set alarm. Eunmi breathed deeply before rolling over onto her side. I grabbed my laptop from my desk and quietly booted it up. I went onto Twitter and found a million posts from my friends now in other universities. I quickly posted a tweet, telling them how much I missed them and how exciting university was. At 7:15, I went and took a shower. When I came out I found Eunmi sitting up on the bed with her eyes closed. I looked at the clock, 7:35. I quickly went over to her and nudged her.

Eunmi, time to get up.” I told her quietly. She looked at me with sleepy eyes before flopping back onto the bed.

Eunmi-ah, you're going to be late for class if you don't get up now.” I told her, still nudging her. She groaned before pulling herself up and slid out of the bed. At 7:45, a very disgruntled and sleepy Eunmi followed me to the cafeteria. I quickly grabbed a bowl of porridge and some boiled peanuts. Eunmi got two hard boiled eggs. Her brain works really slowly in the morning. The cashier kept asking Eunmi for the money. When it became obvious that she left her wallet in the room, I payed for her too. She ate her egg quietly as she stared out the window. I swallowed most of the porridge in one gulp before telling her bye and hurrying off to first period. I walked into class on time and earned an approving nod from the teacher. I sat down and sighed a sigh a relief. I took my stuff out of my backpack and accidentally dropped my pencil on the floor. When I down to get it, I heard a whisper in my ear again.


 

You really need to pull yourself together or else you're going to be the failure your parents see you as.” I looked up and didn't see anyone. I guess five hours of sleep still wasn't enough.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a quick note that I forgot to add before:

The beginning of the story is probably going to go by really fast because

the story mainly talks about her path to insanity while she's in the hospital and how Kyuhyun tries to help her along the way.

Hope you enjoy.