Chapter 3

boomerang
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Three days had passed after the worst night, yet his words still stung. She hoped to never encounter him anywhere again. She’d rather eat dirt for one whole year, day and night, than talk to him or even see him again.

 

Chaeyoung was aware how she wasn’t acting rational. His insults came as a result of her insulting him. Her prickliness came as a result of him being a prick. It was all fair and square. But this wasn’t the plan. Chaeyoung wasn’t supposed to get out of the blind date feeling hurt. If there was someone who’d get hurt, it should’ve been that V guy, and not her.

 

Jennie had been late to pick her up from the date because she was almost caught by her mom while she was on a date with her boyfriend. Her boyfriend saved her by driving her car to some other place to resume their date and decided that it would be safer for them to date in private. They had chosen a hotel room and ate in private.

 

Chaeyoung pressed her lips into a thin line, refusing to ask for clarity when Jennie had provided her with that information, because the hickey at Jennie’s neck explained it all. Thankfully though, Jennie’s mom left the blind date session alone or else Chaeyoung’s cover would be blown.

 

“It’s been three days, where’s my reward?” Chaeyoung playfully whined. “I know it’s not exactly according to plan, but anybody would agree that it worked.”

 

“Well, our deal didn’t exactly include how to execute the plan. Glad it all worked out,” Jennie cheered. “Anyways, the reward… Do you have anything in mind? Clothes? Books? A new guitar? A drum set?”

 

“Desserts?”

 

“Desserts? After what you’ve been through, you just want desserts?” Jennie asked, her voice layered in amusement and confusion.

 

“Nothing beats desserts when it comes to cheering a sad girl,” Chaeyoung said with a shrug. “I want homemade,” she demanded with a pout.

 

Though, one day later when Jennie arrived at her home early morning, she brought not just her specially homemade macaroons.

 

Chaeyoung was not surprised that Jennie was able to sponsor her a paid trip to Hawaii. She just didn’t think that ruining the date in Jennie’s place would be worth a whole week trip to Hawaii. If she wanted, Chaeyoung herself could afford it, but who’s stupid enough to reject such a reward? Everyone loves free stuff, including her.

 

She wasn’t going to leave for Hawaii soon, it would be next year, but looking through her outfits and imagining she was in Hawaii was a great destresser. Chaeyoung was choosing her outfits when her phone buzzed on the nightstand.

 

Mom: Tomorrow 8pm. Don’t be late.

 

She stared at the message for a few moments before replying to her mother with a simple ‘ok’. This day came sooner than she thought. She had expected that there would be at least a year to prepare herself. Chaeyoung had already come to terms with the fact that she would marry the man her parents chose for her, she was convinced that whoever her parents chose for her would be the best and that was why she had no thoughts on rebelling albeit her true nature of being a rebellion in the past.

 

But sitting at the pit of her guts was an unknown feeling. Was it discomfort? Was it uncertainty? This whole idea of meeting a total stranger whom she had no knowledge of at all was a bit overwhelming, pressing on all nervous switches inside her as she imagined how the situation at the dinner would turn out.

 

A moment later, her sister’s message popped up on the screen.

 

Alice: You’ll like him ;)

 

Her sister knew her best. All her likes and dislikes. Chaeyoung told her sister of every crush she had during high school. She even knew who was Chaeyoung’s first real boyfriend and who had stolen her first kiss. She was there for Chaeyoung when she had to go through her first biggest heartbreak. If she really had to marry a stranger, she didn’t think it would be a problem if her sister was convinced that Chaeyoung would like him. She trusted her sister.

 

Slowly, a small smile spread on her face.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter