Affection

Declarations of a College Student

When Don appeared at my show, Noriko was with him. They were seated near the front, the closest tables being taken up by fans. He wore a nice polkadot button up, and his short, dark hair was styled back.

As I performed, Don's eyes were ablaze, a grin on his face, and while I was backstage, I watched as he whispered into Noriko's ear. This was the first time she'd ever been to one of my shows. She looked like she was enjoying it, but who could really know for sure?

Sweat was dripping down both of their faces, and mine too, but not just because of how hot it was in here. I was a bit nervous. I wanted to make a good impression with Noriko with this performance. Not that our relationship was bad or anything, but I wanted her to know that there were no hard feelings. The last time we met, we hadn’t really spoken to each other much. Mostly, we spoke through Don, who was the spotlight of our affection. But afterwards, when I was thinking about it, I thought..hadn’t it seemed like I was ignoring her? I wasn’t sure of the etiquette, so I only spoke when spoken too, but maybe she took it to mean I disliked her? 

This stream of thoughts was all based on nothing but anxious late night ponderings. Nonetheless, I wanted her to like my show.

Which was ridiculous. She wasn't Don's mom— she couldn't ban me from dating him if she found my talents stupid or lacking. She's not that kind of girl. I know this. 

Still, I busy myself with the setting up of the props and checking in with my colleagues. I help move backgrounds off stage and down a bottle of water, distracting myself. 

When we go back out I'm no less nervous, but I manage to keep my visual reserve. He’s there and that’s fine, she's there and that’s also fine, everything's fine; I knew they were coming. This is a normal show. I look around the bustling room, down at all of my fans. Easy, just focus on them. Do well for them. Everything is—

My eyes catch onto something, and my breath hitches. 

 Oh my goodness, Todo is talking to Don. 

Just as I was beginning to relax! I stop short of letting a frown onto my face, keeping my expression and my movements steady. 

Don smiles politely as the old man comes nearer to him and his girlfriend. It’s obvious he’s trying to shield her from him, trying to draw his attention away from her. The awkwardness is palpable even from all the way up here. What is that guy thinking?

And now Noriko's talking to him. Oh, what a treat! How absolutely fantastic! Can't that guy just mind his own business? For one night? Why had I told him about this evening?

Noriko is giving a thin smile, but they seem suddenly engaged in riveting conversation. 

My focus is interrupted by the beginnings of a very physically straining part of the performance, and I have to force myself to pry my attention away from the scene before me. I no longer have the luxury of pondering what could possibly be going on over there. A show, probably. Annoyance ripples through me, but I put that energy into twisting my torso and moving my legs.

This goes on for several more minutes, and afterwards, when I am finally off stage, I look back into the crowd only to find that all three of them are missing. 

A ball of panic drops into the pit of my stomach. How could things have broken bad so quickly? Todo being gone is a miracle, Don and Noriko being gone with him is an absolute nightmare. When had they left? Mid performance? I'd only taken my eyes off them for a few minutes! So when I got offstage? Then where did they go?

Noriko plus Todo is a recipe for disaster. That guy has so many embarrassing stories about me— I just know he wants to let it all out. He can't keep his mouth shut!

Blistering with worry and impatience, I head to the makeshift dressing room in the back. I call over my shoulder at the cohorts who ask about my hurry, and as I run we congratulate each other on our successful performance. 

Quickly undressing from a sparkling white and blue to red and gold-lined dress into my casual clothes (a navy blue t-shirt and jeans), I pull out my phone to email Don. 

I ask him where he is and watch the screen anxiously, waiting for a message to come in, and at the same time wipe the makeup from my face. 

With Noriko, the reply says a minute later. She needed to go outside for a minute.  

 My heart’s practically beating out of my chest, but as I go to reply—

We saw everything, though! Don’t worry, we didn't miss a thing! 👍  

A laugh bursts from my throat, the irritation slowly receding but the panic still buzzing under the surface of my skin. What had Todo said to them?

I’m outside 

I completely forget about wiping off the rest of my face as I run to the door.

It’s already pitch black outside but for the stars and the lights above the side of the building’s exit door. The slightly cold wind is a Godsend in comparison to the blasting heat of the Arts building. Don stands alone against the wall, his arms crossed over his chest and his eyes closed. They open, revealing deep blue eyes, as the door shuts behind me and disrupts the quiet. 

I look around but see no one else with us. “Where’s Noriko?” I ask instinctively while hopping down the single step. We’re in the side alleyway between the two halves of the building, and people move by from the street as they leave the performance and head home, or for whatever afterparty. 

“Went to the little girls room.” He places a hand behind his head with a sheepish grin. “She adored the show by the way. You did amazing! Uh, she told me to tell you that!”

I smile. “Oh?” An embarrassed blush rises to my cheeks. “I couldn’t tell from on stage. The lighting and all that.”

“Don’t act modest, of course you know everyone loves your shows.” He grins back. “I’m glad we found seats so close. You’re a celebrity around here.”

“Well so are you, Playwright-san.” I elbow him. “Gonna make me jealous.”

“I’m the one who should be jealous!”

We both laugh, and the silence that follows is comfortable. But the thought is still asive in my mind: what the hell did he and Todo talk about?

I feign nonchalance, lifting a hand and furrowing my brow, “I really hope Todo-san didn’t say anything weird to Noriko-san. I can’t imagine what Todo was going on about back there, but please ignore it.”

“Ah! You saw that?” His eyes widen comically. “Wait, I thought you said you couldn’t see anything?”

“Ch! I can smell that Senpai anywhere,” Crossing my arms, I sneer at just the thought of him bothering my fans while smelling of booze. “By the way, where did he go? I hope he wasn’t too bad. It’s better to keep an eye on him. In fact, with that in mind, are you sure Noriko’s alright? I’d feel sorry if she was alone with him. Is she coming back—? How long has she been gone?”

“Well..” Don looks off to the side. “Uh, actually..? I asked her if I could have a minute alone with you.” He admits. 

I raise my eyebrows at that. “Oh.” Shuffling my feet, I look back up at him. My hand goes to my hip and I tilt my head to the side questioningly. “And she’s okay with that?”

“Of course she is! Noriko’s awesome!” He replies earnestly. 

Another smile grows on my face and I let out a sigh of relief. “I’m glad. I thought she might secretly hate me.”

Don’s sudden bemusement is plastered all over his face. “What? Noriko couldn’t hate a soul. What made you think that?”

I walk closer, turning my back to the opposite wall and leaning against it. “I don’t know..I just don’t have a lot of experience with polyamory. Or love. At all.”

He turns to me with a confused look. He idly rolls up his button up sleeves to his elbows, showing off his large, hairy arms and waiting for me to continue. “You?”

“Yeah,” I admit. “I feel like she might blame me for her having less time to spend with you.”

He shrugs. “I guess if there’s anyone to blame..”

I grin and lightly smack his arm. He laughs. “Annoying. I’m trying to pour my heart out to my boyfriend and all he does is make fun of me!”

He holds my arm for a second, shaking me, then let's go with a grin. “No way! What kind of person do you think she is? We came together, and she likes you.” Don says with a heartiness in his laugh. He furrows his bushy brows. “If she really minded, she’d tell me! Anyway, how could she hold a grudge over such a handsome man?”

My face reddens at that. “I guess so.. It’s not like we talk all the time. I guess I’m just,” I pause, nodding, trying to think of the right words, “..nervous, I guess.”

He stares at me for a long few seconds, then takes a few steps closer. “We’re all new at this.” He puts a hand on my elbow again, and his warmth seeps into my skin. 

“Right. But unlike you, I’m not a natural at it,” I sigh with a smile and shrug. “It may be hard to believe, but this prestigious Director of Operations is hard to get. I don’t play the game of love often.”

His shiny white pearls blind me. “Guess that makes me the lucky deck!”

He’s infectious. I grin right back. “Guess so. So lucky, in fact, that you have two people falling all over you instead of one.”

His grin turns sly. “You saying you’re in love with me?”

The heat that rises to my face could rival the air onstage. “Don’t be ridiculous! It’s only been a month!”

“You mean it’s already been a month.” He wiggles his eyebrows with a smirk, drawing closer. 

I scoff, unable to meet his eyes. “Of course you would think that. Ever the romantic...”

His arms encircle my waist, and goosebumps rise on my own. “What’s wrong with that?” His voice deepens, lowering lavisciously. 

My hands go to his forearms, fingertips brushing against his arm hair, ready to push him away. I keep my eyes to the ground. “Shouldn’t you be getting back to your second love?”

“She’ll be fine,” he says, then kisses my cheek.

Here we go. “Don, love, I’m sweaty,” I start, as I always do. 

“And? Me too.” He says, as if reading from a script.

“I need to take a bath…”

“For a kiss?” He pouts his lips expectantly. “I’ve never known you to be so shy?”

“I…really don’t know how to handle all of your affection,” I don’t know where to look, so I turn my gaze to the ground. The cold air does nothing to cool my warming cheeks.

“Then come over and I can teach you.”

Oh, he’s being courageous today!

Don has me between himself and the corner, his arms boxing me in on both sides. His eyes are on me, suddenly yearning and playful. I can’t meet them, the blush taking over all of my senses and making me red hot. Heat begins to pool in my stomach. 

“What are you afraid of?” He asks. 

I can’t answer. I can’t do anything. My voice won’t work, I can’t catch a breath. 

“If you really don’t want me back, push me away.”

Without looking, my hands settle on his broad shoulders. He's radiating heat, his torso mere inches from mine. How I’d managed to get closer than this during Festival Night I have no idea. All my confidence has swindled away. I’m bare; nervous and shaking. I can feel his breath on my neck, his scratchy five o’clock shadow. I don’t move. 

“Look at me,” he orders, then softer, “please…”

I blink a few times, my heart racing in my chest, my face hot, and slowly turn my head to face him. My eyes are immediately drawn to his chest, his button up ed enough to be showing a bit of chest hair. Embarrassed, I look back up a bit(not much, because he’s shorter than me) and accidentally meet his gaze. His eyes are intense, staring deep into mine, dark blue and glistening.

“I want you,” he breathes, his voice husky and deep, trying to get a rise out of me. And it’s working. “I want to kiss you, and hold you. I wanna give you all of my attention.”

Ever the ing playwright. I in a breath and his eyes move down my face. He’s getting closer, I know it. His big, beefy arms are closing in. I’m surrounded on all sides. 

I want him. I want him to kiss me, and hold me, and give me all his attention. 

As if reading my mind, he leans in the tiniest bit closer, his eyes slipping closed, and waits. All thoughts flush down the drain from my head to my toes and I’m on him. My arms wrap around his thick neck and one of his large hands moves up to hold my cheek as I kiss him. 

After a few seconds, it is over, and I slowly pull away, the back of my head falling back against the wall. I keep my eyes closed so I can’t see the expression on his face. Don’s hand is still on my cheek, caressing me. 

His voice is a dry whisper, “Can I kiss you again?”

Not opening my eyes, I nod, then nod more emphatically, swallowing my tongue. 

He kisses me again, this time pressing me against the wall firmly, and breathes me in. His arms envelope me wholly, wrapping around my torso and pulling his abdomen to mine. His head turns this way and that, barely separating his lips from mine. I kiss him back, over and over again. He ignores my obvious arousal, not even daring to put his tongue in my mouth, but he holds me close, firmly, and kisses down my jaw to my neck. I gasp, mind going blank and a need taking over my body. 

The sound of loud giggling and shoes running across pavement reminds me that we’re in public. 

I come to my senses. “Really, Don, not here.” I pat his shoulder until he pulls back and looks at me. His eyes are drawn to my still slightly pink-stained lips. 

He clears his throat. “Right, of course.” And backs up with a satisfied sigh. “Energy replenished!”

I shake my head, smiling down at him. “You’re such a fool.”

He grins up at me. “You like me that way.” He motions to the side. “Wanna walk Noriko home with me?”

A warmth seeps through me. “I’d be delighted.”


 

Notes:

Comments appreciated! I know this is a niche fandom and a niche ship, but I know some people will enjoy this anyway!