Chapter 10

RESTART
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Italic = inner thoughts.

 

***

 

When Wendy arrived home wincing in pain, her two housemates looked at her in horror. They saw Wendy go in neat clothes this morning, but she was back with wounded lips and big plaster on her nose. Her shirt was not in good condition either. One of the buttons was loose, and her collar was stained with blood. She looked like someone who had just survived a disaster, literally.

 

"What the hell? Who did this to you?!" Seulgi instantly stood in front of her with her fist balled.

 

Instead of replying to her friend right away, the young novelist asked, "Seulgi, do you know any of my gambling friends?" She wanted to know how many scumbags she needed to worry about.

 

"Friends? I'm your only friend! They are only after your money!" Seulgi gritted her teeth in anger. "Lead the way. I'm gonna teach those scums a lesson!"

 

It seemed Seulgi also didn't know about the original owner's gambling friends. I'm doomed. Wendy sighed inwardly.

 

"Yah! Kang Seulgi, calm down!" Yerim pulled Seulgi's hand from Wendy's wrist. "Do you want to get beaten too?? Let's settle this problem like an adult. We should go to the police office and report them."

 

"They're already in jail." Wendy sighed before adding, "I was walking with Irene and Lily when they came to me asking for money."

 

"What?! Did those scumbags hurt them too?"

 

"No, they're safe. Irene punched one of them."

 

"She … what?" Seulgi blinked, then she remembered something. "Oh, Right! She joined the Taekwondo club back then. Wait … you joined too, Wendy! So why are you injured like this?"

 

"Taekwondo club?" That pretty much explained why Irene didn't seem afraid of those scumbags, Wendy thought.

 

"Yes! To impress Irene, you tried so hard to snatch the yellow belt. That's how big your obsession is with her!" Seulgi tilted her head in confusion. "Although it has been years since then, you should've at least known how to defend yourself. Is it because of amnesia?"

 

"I think so. I couldn't remember any moves." Wendy quickly agreed and changed the topic since she knew nothing about fighting. "Well, my wounds have been treated. You don't have to worry."

 

"Did you go to a clinic before coming home?" Yerim asked when she noticed the medicine bag in Wendy's hand.

 

"Yeah, Irene drove me there. She … helped me a lot today."

 

"She even drove you to a clinic? Woahh, did she hate you less now?" Seulgi exclaimed in surprise.

 

Wendy wondered too, but she knew it was too good to be true. "I don't know. Maybe she pitied me because of my injury."

 

"Well, it could be." Seulgi nodded before adding, "Still, you should be careful in the future."

 

"What should I do? I don't know how to protect myself." Groaning, the young novelist spread her mattress to lay down on it. She felt a bit dizzy after the unfortunate event today.

 

"How about we order some pepper sprays for self-protection? It'll give you enough time to run away from danger."

 

"Yeah, I think I need that." Wendy put her arm on her forehead in frustration. Just when everything started to get better, this thing happened.

 

Hopefully, I won't encounter any of those scumbags in the future!

 

 

It was 10.30 PM, but Wendy was still awake. She her phone and opened the group chat with Irene and Joy. She thought she had to tell Irene that she had arrived home safely.

 

To: everyone

Hi. I'm already home. Thank you for today.

 

Seconds later, the reading bubble only showed Joy's icon, meaning that only the young woman read her message. Irene probably had gone to sleep.

 

She was a bit angry when we parted ways before. I thought she was worried about my safety. Silly me.

 

Turning to her left, she absentmindedly looked at the clock on the wall. She couldn't bring herself to write stories tonight because she felt drowsy after taking her medicine. As she listened to Seulgi's light snores, her mind drifted back to Lily's frightened face. Poor Lily. How she wished this incident didn't happen in front of the young child. It must have frightened her.

 

After staring at the clock for some time, her eyes were getting heavy, and finally, she succumbed to sleep.


 

**

 

Wendy felt a lot better after waking up. Although her nose was still throbbing, her head was clearer than yesterday, so she told Seulgi that she would go to work with her. Her friend actually advised her to take a day off, but Wendy felt it was unnecessary.

 

When Mrs. Jang saw her bruised face, the old woman almost dropped the pan she held. Wendy instinctively explained that she encountered bad guys on her way back, and everything was settled at the police station. She didn't want to make the old woman worried.

 

 

As usual, the restaurant was packed during lunch hour. Wendy was about to lift a tray full of dishes when the entrance was pushed open. Cheerfully, she greeted, "Welcome to Jang's restaurant. How many …" her words trailed when her eyes met with the familiar brown eyes.

 

"Three," Irene replied coldly. Her brows slightly raised as if she was displeased by something or someone. But what made her displeased?

 

"Can we sit there, Wendy?" Jinah pointed to a vacant table when the young novelist didn't say anything. "Hello … Wendy?"

 

Wendy snapped back to her senses and quickly replied, "O-oh, please wait a moment! Let me wipe the table first." She certainly wouldn't be this nervous if Irene didn't look at her as if she had just made a mistake.

 

Did she still hold a grudge because I rejected her yesterday? It can't be right?? The question was lingering in her mind as she wiped the table anxiously.

 

"What happened to your face?" Jinah couldn't help to ask after Wendy let them sit.

 

Wendy's eyes briefly met Irene's before explaining to the young secretary. The same thing she told Mrs. Jang this morning.

 

"Oh my! Have you checked your wound at a clinic?"

 

"Yes, I have. Thank you for your concern, Jinah." Wendy gave a small smile. "So … do you want to try today's special dish?"

 

 

"Meals for table 12, Wendy."

 

"Right away, Auntie!"

 

Wendy quickly took the tray and walked to Irene's table. She didn't know why the woman kept glaring at her. Is she really holding a grudge? Wendy became self-conscious around the older woman.

 

"E-enjoy your lunch! Push the green button if you need me."

 

After serving them, she hurriedly ran back into the kitchen. She'd rather wash dishes than have Irene's eyes following her all the time. But she couldn't possibly be hiding in the kitchen in such busy hour, so she walked back to the dining area after completing her job.

 

"Welcome to Jang's Restaurant. How many people?" She greeted the incoming customers. She occasionally winced in pain when talking to them, and Irene, who kept her eyes on Wendy, noticed it. Her chopsticks stopped mid-air as her frown deepened.

 

Why doesn't she take a day off?

 

 

"Poor Wendy. What bad luck she had to encounter those nasty guys," Jinah huffed while adding pickles to her bowl.

 

"Hope it doesn't leave any scars on her pretty face." Irene's other colleague commented.

 

"Ah, you also find her pretty?" Jinah asked interestedly.

 

"Well, I have eyes, you know. I think the cashier lady is pretty as well. This restaurant is really blessed with good food and lovely staff. I will become their regular!"

 

Jinah chuckled before turning to Irene, who quietly munching her food. "Manager Bae, what do you think? Do you agree with us?"

 

"... She's so so."

 

"So so?? Wahhh, you really have a high standard!" Jinah excitedly exclaimed. "Now I wonder what your wife looks like. She must be really out of this world pretty!"

 

"You never brought your wife to any events, Manager Bae. Are you that possessive over your pretty spouse?" the other colleague added. Teasing Irene.

 

Jinah giggled like a schoolgirl. Joining in the tease. "I don't know you're such a type, Manager Bae!"

 

"You mean the possessive bottom type, Jinah? Haha!"

 

"So you read such novels too? Manager Bae fits the role of the tsundere manager who is possessive over her partner. Isn't she?"

 

Irene choked on her meal. What the hell are these two talking about? She never thought that being discreet about her family would create such a wild illusion for others. The reason why she never brought Wendy was far from that, and what did they say about herself? A possessive bottom??

 

"You two quit talking nonsense!" She was displeased and embarrassed at the same time. Ugh, these two, really. I regret bringing them here!

 

"Ah, we're sorry, Manager Bae. We won't do it again!" Jinah quickly apologized with a pitiful face. They rarely had an opportunity to tease the young manager because she was so quiet and calm about everything, so they were carried away.

 

They were so into teasing Irene that they didn't realize someone had overheard their conversation since the beginning. Wendy Bae, the pretty waitress they praised before, who was also the young manager's partner. She was wiping a table nearby when they started teasing Irene.

 

That … is an exciting story prompt. Seulgi said those type of story is quite popular in this universe, Wendy thought as her cheeks reddened. She mentally created a character with Irene as her muse in her mind.

 

As she moved to another table, more wild and questionable (?) scenarios flooded her brain, and she couldn't wait to write them tonight!

 

 

A moment later, a still-blushing Wendy returned with a plate of fruits. "This is a treat from our restaurant. We serve free fruits every Friday" The young novelist didn't forget to promote the restaurant like she usually did on the bank transfer note.

 

"Thank you, Wendy." Jinah smiled happily as she picked a sliced apple from the plate.

 

"You're welcome. Enjoy!"

 

Irene didn't say anything about the fruit. Instead, she asked the question she had wanted to ask since she stepped into the restaurant, "You're wounded. Why are you working today?"

 

"Oh." Wendy scratched her head. "It's just a small wound. Besides, I already took a leave yesterday. I don't want to be a burden to other staff."

 

A small wound? A burden to others??

 

Irene crossed her arms and sighed lowly. The more she observed Wendy, the more she became confused by the latter's strange behavior. It bothered her. Something was definitely wrong, and she wanted to unveil the truth because how could someon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter