1/2

Disappearance

Having said goodbye to the girls early in the morning, Nayeon went down the elevator to the waiting manager. Once in the car, Nayeon first asked where they were going, to which the manager, leaving the parking lot, said:

- Now we are going to shoot a commercial, it will take place outside the city, in a village where tangerines are grown. A man who runs a tangerine farm asked for help so that his fruit could be sold better.

- Is he famous for something? – Nayeon asked curiously, picking up the headphones but not putting them on.

- Well, he’s not exactly famous, but journalists did a lot of reporting about him. And then it turned out that he personally knew one of the hosts of the “Running Man” show. He asked him, and he in turn asked the producers of music companies.

- That is, someone has already advertised tangerines before me?

- Yes. From time to time someone advertises his farm, but there are no tangerines yet. “You have such an honor,” the manager joked, exchanging glances with Nayeon through the mirror.

- Work is work, - she shrugged, putting on her headphones, turning on the playlist and closing her eyes. - Wake me up, okay?

- Of course, get some sleep.

Nayeon slept for the next hour and a half, half asleep. She was gently pushed by the shoulder, and woke up to find them outside the city, in a forested area.

- We arrived? – Nayeon asked, covering her yawn with her palm.

- Not yet, we’re at the entrance. Just beyond the forest, our employer's farm greenhouses. I’m now checking the address where I need to go.

- Fine. “We need to get ourselves in decent shape,” Nayeon said, taking out a mirror, lipstick and other cosmetic accessories.

- You already look great, Nayeon, - the manager complimented, to which she only grinned at him, peering into the mirror.

- Also check if the film crew has arrived, oppa, - she said, tinting her lips with burgundy lipstick.

- Of course – getting out of the car, the manager, leaving the doors open, began to dial the number.

Nayeon's further conversation more than surprised her and puzzled her, because everything she heard did not concern her upcoming work. Yes, if the detectives had asked Nayeon then, they would have heard:

- Oppa kept talking about his intention to go camping with his girlfriend when he had a day off. I don’t know who he was talking to on the phone, but definitely not the right person. And when I asked if everything was okay, he only answered that “they are waiting for us.”

The owner of the greenhouses where he grew fruit was indeed waiting for them, but he was the only one. The film crew filmed the necessary material and left.

- Sorry, but usually they wait for an invited guest to film the necessary advertisement, then the products will sell better. “Then my work here is no longer needed?” — asked the surprised Nayeon looking at the middle-aged man.

- Don’t worry, we’ve got everything covered. There is a person who will make advertising with your participation for an additional fee. Seung Gi , come over - he called the guy in work clothes, hugged him by the shoulders, pushed him forward a little with a radiant smile and introduced him: - My eldest son, a skilled boy, will do any job.

Oh, I see, he decided to marry his son, God, what a nightmare. Did oppa really not know who he was making a deal with? – Nayeon thought, casting a sidelong glance at the manager standing next to her.

“And I kept wondering who my father invited,” the guy grinned, extending his hand to the manager, “welcome, uncle, long time no see.”

- Yes, I haven’t been here for a long time, - the manager smiled friendly, shaking hands, catching Nayeon’s gaze, - Sorry, sorry, I completely forgot to tell you that I know them.

- So you lied to me when you said that other artists advertised their product before me? – Nayeon guessed, feeling lousy after finding out that she had been deceived.

- Yes, I’m sorry, - it was not at all audible in his voice that he was sorry. - Whatever it is, let's help my friends. I'll explain everything to the director later. We don't have much time to bicker, we need to stay on schedule.

Very strange. Oppa was never like this. He never lied, maybe he didn’t tell the truth, but he didn’t lie. I really thought that there was a job waiting for me, but everything that is happening now looks like matchmaking. I want to leave here.

Half an hour of torture, that’s how she described the time spent in front of the camera, when she was the only one out of all the footage. All the text, which she spoke several times, turned out to be completely muffled, and the places where she pointed were generally a blurred landscape behind her.

What the hell , I would like to shout at Nayeon, but she is a professional in her field, she is an artist, so she knew how to keep her face. There could be a camera filming her everywhere. It was not enough later for her breakdown to be shown to all the fans.  

This guy had the audacity to say goodbye:

- Will you give me your phone number? I want to invite you on a date. I liked you, baby - he winked and blew a kiss.

So disgusting, but Nayeon was able to smile back, slowly, in the sweetest voice, she answered:

- Sorry, but I like girls.

Without waiting for an answer, she quickly left him, got into the car, closing the doors behind her.

The manager arrived a few minutes later, his eyes showing concern as Nayeon warned him:

- No acquaintances, oppa, otherwise I’ll tell the director everything. This time I will close my eyes, but next time...

- This won’t happen again, I swear.

**

The next point on the schedule was the game center, or rather a small hall, where the filming of the new show “Game Singing” took place. The camera that monitored the hall determined the hour of Im Nayeon's arrival and departure.

Arrival time: 12:22.

Leaving hour: 16:35.

This took into account the time when the girl went to the toilet or had lunch with the film crew. Everyone she filmed with then confirmed the time, although one of the staff added:

- Nayeon- ssi left for 10 minutes, I accompanied her to the back entrance, there was no camera there.

When the detectives asked “why”, she answered:

- Someone called her on the phone, from the expression on her face, apparently someone unpleasant. Honestly, I didn’t eavesdrop, but I could hear some words. Nayeon- ssi asked not to disturb her.

- Did you hear anything else?

- No, just this.

Then, later, one of the employees of the gaming center recalled seeing Miss Im somewhere around 16:35-16:40 talking animatedly with the manager, her face expressing irritation. He also saw the manager grab her hand, the girl pulled away, her voice became an octave louder, so he could hear:

- Don't you dare touch me, oppa!

During all the interrogations that were conducted with the manager, he never mentioned the quarrel on the eve of the disappearance. It made me wonder if he was lying or hiding the truth.

**

The next item on the schedule is a photo shoot in an open space with another artist from another company. The theme of the shooting is virtual image. Accessory for the theme - elegant evening dresses, loose hair, a dreamy expression in the eyes, a mysterious half-smile.

This is where the time confusion begins with the photo shoot.

**

In fact, Nayeon met Shuhua long before the photo shoot. They even managed to have lunch together in a cafe, ordering ice cream for dessert. Moreover, it was Shuhua who suggested writing and boasting.

So where did they meet?

**

After Shuhua said goodbye to Minnie and Yuqi, the first item on her schedule was to re-record the show that will air on Thursdays immediately after the drama “Love Has Wings.” The show was completely true to her character, giving her many situations where she can show her acting side. In addition to her, several other artists from other companies, older than her, starred in the show, so Shuhua was nervous and shy more than usual.

A show that even the members don't know about.

And, this was a secret, the only one who knew was the director and manager, Shuhua, who wrote the lyrics and music for the title song of the show. They really helped her with music, in so many aspects. But here is the text itself, without prompts.

She was provoked by the thought of how the girls, especially Yuqi, would react. Why Yuqi was singled out is simple, the text itself was written in such a way as to .

The show was filmed shot by shot over a period of 6 hours.

When the footage was filmed, Shuhua was incredibly hungry and tired.

Filming began around 7 am and ended around 1 pm.

- We have extra time for the photo shoot, what do you want to do, Shuhua? – the manager asked, stretching his stiff shoulders and massaging his neck. Sitting in one position is very exhausting. - Maybe we can come back?

- No, I have another idea, - Shuhua suggested, covering with her hand to hide her yawn. – Why don’t we go to the game center to relieve boredom? We'll have a snack there later.

- Great idea, let’s do it, but first I’ll call the director and tell him the good news, - the manager agreed with the idea, taking out his phone from his jeans pocket, moving away a couple of steps so that his voice would not interfere with the work of others.

The pretender's work is over for today. Now you can relax a little and have fun. I will definitely buy some trinket for Yuqi when I return home. I want to give her something personally that will definitely remind her of me.

It’s strange, why do I so want to give Yuqi gifts that remind me of me? I don't understand.

- Shuhua, I’m ready, you can go, - the manager called to him, waving from his place where he stood (and he walked away a decent distance). – I know a short way from here, if you don’t mind...

- I don't mind, oppa. Lead where you need to go.

Subsequently, for some reason the manager did not deign to share this information with the detectives, intentionally or not, hiding the missing 20 minutes.

If Shuhua had been asked which way they walked, what took so much time, she would have shrugged her shoulders, spread her arms to the side, and answered:

- Did we walk? We got into the car and drove to the game center in half an hour.

Again there is a discrepancy in time.

In general, it turned out that by leaving the set around 13:00 (maybe 2-5 minutes after) the day they spent an extra half hour somewhere before being in view of the game center camera at 13:40.

Arriving at the gaming center, they did not hesitate, but immediately went to the computers, took their seats, and began to play, having fun. The ideal solution to relieve stress or boredom.

The game turned out to be so exciting that Shuhua was briefly distracted by extraneous noise, so after losing 5 times, she decided to take a short walk. Look around, so to speak, the territory.

“Don’t go far, Shuhua,” the manager warned without looking up from the screen, again winning the game match.

“I’ll look into the next room, it’s so loud there, it’s probably fun,” pointing to the half-empty room where the singing was coming from.

“5 minutes there and 5 minutes back,” he said, focused on the game.

Less than 5 minutes will be enough for me, - Shuhua thought, quickly walking around the players, approaching the hall that interested her.

“So this is who sings so beautifully,” Shuhua smiled, looking out from behind the back of a member of the film crew, finding Im Nayeon, the eldest member of the group TWICE , near the “musical machine . ” – What an unexpected meeting.

Their glances crossed, Nayeon made a wave with her hand as if greeting her, winked at her, thus making it clear that “if you have time, then wait for me.”

Shuhua nodded, showed the “ ok ” sign, and quietly added with her lips:

- I’ll go tell the manager where I am, otherwise he’s worried.

Upon further investigation, detectives were unable to find out whether they had a meeting. Everyone they didn't question, no matter how much they looked for footage with a video camera throughout the gaming center - no leads, absolutely nothing. It was as if the ghost of Shuhua had been there.

The employees claimed that there was no other girl besides Nayeon, a visitor to the very gaming hall where Shuhua played and the manager assured the opposite.

- I saw them leaving the gaming room and going to the shops on the second floor. They usually sell various souvenirs, key chains, and accessories. There is also an excellent cafe with very tasty ice cream. When I was helping one client, I briefly noticed how they entered there laughing.

- Tell me, did you see anyone else next to them?

- Two men waiting for them. At first they stood silently, and then I saw one of them start a conversation.

- Maybe you noticed something else?

- Hmm, let me think. Yes, you know, one moment seemed strange to me... - the employee looked around, then quietly, in a half-whisper, added: - Girls... I saw them... the girls are so similar...

- Sorry, we don’t understand what you mean?

- I know exactly what I saw. I saw Shuhua and Nayeon enter the cafe. But I also saw them enter the same place twice.

The detectives were never clear about her answer, so they decided to brush it off, focusing only on the facts of the time period and security cameras.

**

After the cafe, where they were able to snack on delicious ice cream, the girls glanced at their watches. The time showed: 14:55.

- We still have plenty of time for our photo shoot. Listen, Nayeon-unnie, how about we go and play? I saw one game here, they offered me to play it, but I needed a partner. I refused to talk to the manager. He beats me all the time. I envy.

- I have another proposal, let’s go to the souvenir shop we passed by. I want to buy something for the girls.

The camera followed them all the way to the store, then lost them for 5 minutes and caught them again, entering the same store again. Detectives reviewed it many times, showing the same thing. And there were no edited moments. Everything is clean and smooth.

They were then filmed on camera leaving the gift shop with their purchases at around 3:20 p.m.

The camera also captured them leaving the shops with souvenirs around 15:30.

The detectives scratched their heads and shrugged their shoulders, not knowing how to explain this phenomenon.

It can’t be that there are two Nayeon Im and two Ye Shuhua in this world at once?!

Apparently it could, because the same strange phenomenon was shown by all the cameras that were in the gaming center after 15:30 until Nayeon left with the manager at 16:35.

“Shuhua, I’m sorry, it turns out there was another meeting that I only found out about now,” Nayeon said as she said goodbye to the Taiwanese girl for a while. - But we will meet again soon. So don't be bored.

- How I will miss you if I also go to an unplanned meeting. I’ll write to my girls and brag that I met you, unnie.

- Only without names,-  Nayeon reminded her, let those who care about us be worried and jealous, - she said half-jokingly, imagining what kind of facial expression Sana would have when she wrote “I met the girl of my dreams, if you don’t want my heart to be stolen by her...” Yes, that’s right, it’s better not to put an ellipsis at the end, let them think for themselves how to please me.

- That's right, no names. When Yuqi is jealous, she becomes clingy - Shuhua laughed, saying goodbye to Nayeon, following the manager in the completely opposite direction from the exit.

**

Further, the girls seemed to fall through the ground (figuratively speaking). Therefore, I had to believe the words of the managers, which were not supported by anything.

**

They met again, only now they were surrounded by mountains, calm sea water, darkened sand, still warm. Evening dawns and a crescent moon in the sky. The film crew did their best, fulfilling all the wishes of the director, creating an atmosphere similar to a virtual one.

The girls admired and were amazed by the beauty of the landscape, inhaling the salty sea air, feeling again the strength for further (final for that day) work.

Their dressing room was nearby, so while the stylists were working their magic on them, the girls were talking, laughing at jokes, and coming up with a new idea on how to show themselves.

“Nayeon- ssi , Shuhuassi , please, we are ready to start,” they called.

Frames repeated throughout the time remaining before their disappearance:

- camera flashes,

- requests from the photographer to turn to each other,

- look at each other with a mysterious smile,

- move a little further back, go into the sea up to your ankles,

- hold hands,

- look into the distance with a dreamy expression,

- pretend that you want to tell each other a secret,

- look at the camera.

The last frame of the photo flashes, at the moment when it happened, something clouded the minds of everyone present at the photo shoot. A bright flash, blinding, such that I had to close my eyes, but even with my eyes closed, it seemed as if the sun had exploded into billions of particles.

It was as if there was a snap of fingers and two people disappeared into thin air.

Some did not admit it, but they clearly saw, when the brightness began to subside, how in the place where Shuhua and Nayeon stood, huddled together out of fear, a funnel formed and them in.

But realizing that they might be considered crazy, they overheard what the others were saying and repeated it exactly.

How did it really happen?

How did the two girls disappear?

Where are they now?

**

Shuhua opened her eyes first, she was still tightly hugging Nayeon's waist, their faces very close.

Apart from Nayeon, nothing can be seen or heard around.

The space in which they found themselves is very dense and at the same time so intangible.

She felt like she was lying on something soft, a little damp.

Smell. No smell other than perfume.

She wanted to call Nayeon, but realized that she couldn't.

- Shuhua...where are we...

Nayeon spoke instead, and as soon as her voice sounded in the darkness, the space changed, completely drowning them out with the familiar noise of the streets.

The darkness turned into early morning.

They found themselves half-sitting around the corner of the bakery (the smell of freshly baked bread was very tasty), Shuhua's back was in contact with the wall, and Nayeon was completely lying on it.

- Are you okay. Shuhua?

- Yes, probably. What about you, unnie? – helping her rise to a sitting position.

“We’re safe, that’s good,” Nayeon said optimistically, sitting down next to Shuhua. – I recognize this place, here I always buy delicious bread or croissants for the girls – to make sure, I looked around the corner first. “Shuhua...” she said slowly, extending her hand and pulling the girl closer, “are you seeing the same thing as me or am I hallucinating?”

Shuhua peered around the corner curiously, as did her older friend, open in shock.

- Where the hell are we?! – both asked in a muffled voice, looking with all their eyes at the other Nayeon coming out of the entrance and getting into the car.