Camping Trip

All Seoul's Street

Like many of their group’s more adventurous escapades, the idea had originally been Byul’s idea.

“We could time it for the next full moon weekend!” she said, eyes wide and full of excitement over dinner. “I bet you’d like to spend a full moon cycle running around open spaces instead of cooped up in the apartment all day, huh?” This last part was aimed at Wheein.

“You make me sound like I’m some kind of trapped wild animal.” The werewolf complained, daintily picking out the oysters in her nabe pot and transferring them to Hyejin’s. “It’s not like my old pack was running amuck in Jeonju every time there was a full moon.”

“So you’re saying you don’t want to run around in wolf form?”

Wheein’s eyes flashed mischievously, “Now I didn’t say that.”

Byul turned to their other two roommates, “What about you guys?”

Hyejin just shrugged in between scoops of rice and stew, “It would be nice to get out of the city I suppose.”

Yongsun sighed the sigh of the long suffering, but she was smiling too. “I guess we’re going camping.”

 

---

 

Yongsun eventually took over planning their trip, mostly because she was good at it but also because Byul’s idea of an itinerary was to ‘decide when we get there’. So when the angel pulled up to their apartment building in a massive camping car on the Friday they were supposed to leave, the rest of her roommates were more than a little shocked.

“Woah, it’s giant!” Wheein was already running around the circumference of it, her backpack bouncing every which way.

“So this is your idea of planning?” Byul called from the building entrance, effectively blocking Hyejin from the sun. They had all agreed that the Samnak Ecological Park in Busan was the best place to go so Wheein could have some leg room to run free. But since the drive to Busan took a little over four hours, it was a matter of choosing what time to leave so that their roommate wouldn’t get sick. 

“The office just got a small fleet of these for a glamping promo we’re releasing next season.” Yongsun said, hopping down from the driver’s seat, “They let me borrow one for the weekend and I fitted it with blackout curtains for Hyejin.”

Wheein was practically vibrating with excitement, “I knew that Unnie getting that job at the tourism office would benefit us in the long run!”

“If we leave in an hour,” Yongsun said, “We should arrive in the Busan campgrounds just after dusk.”

Byul nodded appreciatively, “I knew I could count on you, Unnie.”

“Just as I know I can count on you to be the one to drive us there,” Yongsun countered back before tossing the keys to the demon. Byul caught them easily, and already Yong could see the diabolical machinations of her demon’s mind working.

“If you crash this vehicle I’m trapping you in my halo for a whole week,” Yong warned. 

“Oh ye of little faith,” Byul teased, twirling the keys around before walking over to the driver’s side door. 

 

---

 

Teasing aside, the drive to Busan was mostly uneventful, finding an RV pitch for their camping car was also easy. However, there was no accounting for their behavior once Byul finally had the camping car parked.

“I wanna see the birds!”

“Wait! The sun! You’ll turn any minute!”

“Hey! We have to set up the camp!”

“Why is everyone so noisy!”

The last one was from Hyejin, who had been asleep on Wheein’s lap throughout the whole drive and was only now waking up. Even from the car’s windows, she could just make out the expanse of greenery and lush grasslands that formed the majority of the campsite. From where she was lying, she could see Yongsun yelling from the car door. When the angel turned to her, she had the ‘my roommates are idiots, but they’re MY idiots’ look that Hyejin has learned to identify over the years.

The vampire grinned, “Did they run off on you?”

“The park has a bird feeding site that Wheein made a mad dash for.” Yong said with a motherly sort of sigh. “Byul ran after her.”

Hyejin sat up, stretching out the cricks in her neck. The sun was mostly below the horizon already, leaving only a pinkish gold light around the surrounding area. It didn’t bother her as much so she stood up and reached to open one of the camping car’s many child safe cupboards. “Shall we set-up?”

Yongsun’s responding smile was bright, “Hyejin-ah,” the angel said, too sincerely, “you’re my new favorite.”

She just laughed. “Don’t let Byulie-unnie hear you say that.”

Between the two of them, they made quick work of the tent where Wheein would sleep, and the slightly larger tent that Byul and Yong would be sharing. Hyejin would sleep in the car because it had the black out curtains. 

“Our home for the next three nights!” Yongsun declared proudly when they were finished. Beside her, Hyejin took a deep breath, savoring the clean, crisp air. It was already dark out, with more stars in the sky than she ever saw back at Seoul. 

“This was a good idea,” She said.

“I’m known for my many good ideas!” Byul called out behind them. When they both turned it was to see the demon with a bundle of clothes tucked into her arm and a newly turned Wheein trotting after her.

“I hope the birds were worth it,” Yong said with a mock sternness. 

Byul chuckled. “Wheeinie got about one minute of uninterrupted bird feeding time.” She turned to give the wolf a fond scratch behind the ears, “Then she traumatized a few kids when she transformed into a wolf before their very eyes.”

“Aish.” Yongsun was laughing more easily though. So it probably wasn’t all that big a deal. 

Hyejin pulled out a collar from behind her, Wheein took one look at it and immediately began whining and backing away. “Don’t you start. We agreed you would wear one in case the grounds have rules about stray dogs."

Wheein blinked once then bolted off towards the clearly marked bike trails. Hyejin took one look at the Unnies, both of whom were laughing. “Don’t look at me,” Byul said, palms up, “I already chased her earlier.”

“I have to start preparing dinner,” Yongsun’s grin was downright cheeky, and Hyejin had just enough time to grunt in exasperation before she chased after their roommate.

 

---

 

By dinner time, Wheein was tuckered out, half falling asleep in front of the small campfire that Byul had started with a snap of her fingers. It’s unfair, she thinks, that Hyejin grew stronger and faster as it grew darker, while she tired out like any other wolf after a thirty minute run.

Of course, being a wolf, she couldn’t complain about any of this out loud. But she could think it, which was what she did as she watched her roommates settle down to eat around her. 

“It’s only for the weekend,” Hyejin said patiently after she had secured the collar around Wheein’s neck. In all fairness, it was a nice looking collar. The material was patterned in bright colors and it had an aluminum plate where her name was engraved. She just hated the way it made her feel. 

Some of this must be coming through on her wolf face because Yong stared at her sympathetically. “What if, you promise to wear it during the day when there are park staff around, and then at night you can take it off while exploring with Hyejin?”

She liked the sound of that. She barked once.

“It’s a deal then,” Byul said beside her before reaching out a hand and unclasping the collar around her neck. The relief was instantaneous! She barked happily a few times, to let them know she appreciated it, before butting her head against Hyejin’s thigh and staring pointedly at her plate. 

“I would have thought you’d be too tired to eat,” The vampire teased, but she still set aside a portion of her samgyupsal and placed it down by her feet for her. 

“I forgot how fast vampires could be,” Byul mused, almost to herself but loud enough that Wheein was sure their other roommates could hear.

“What’s your demonic brain thinking now?” Yong asked from across the fire. Wheein just stared at each of them in turn. 

“We’re on vacation, we should get a chance to really let loose!” The demon said, trying for innocence but landing on mischievous instead. “What if we played tag?”

“Unnie, what are you, five?” Hyejin asked, sipping at her thermos of blood they had pre-packed for the trip. 

“I’m being fully serious!”  Byul countered, “just a few rounds to the side of the bike trail after dinner! The humans wont be using it at this time anyway and it can be a free for all! Use any powers you want, but the last untagged being standing is the winner.”

Wheein can feel her tail wagging incessantly behind her. The idea of running, running, running! And in the dark with no collar and her roommates! She barked once. Byul gave a cheer and scratched her just under her chin, “Wheein is in.”

“You aren’t tired from driving?” Yongsun asked warily. Byul’s eyes flashed red very briefly, her smile turning a little sinister.

“Well I’m in.” Hyejin announced, already standing up and clearing the plate she and Wheein had shared. “A run sounds nice.”

“Fine, I’ll clear up then we can all head to the trail together,” Yong said with a clap of her hands, making quick work of gathering their various plates and bowls and heading over to the communal kitchens of the camp site.

Byul, Hyejin, and Wheein shared a few knowing looks before they all three snuck off without her, but not before Wheein watched Byul leave a note on Yongsun’s chair that said: “TAG, YOU’RE IT.”

 

---

 

As it turned out, a game of tag between four supernatural beings was anything but fair.

Wheein as a wolf was fast, and she had the advantage using her wolf senses to avoid her roommates if any of them came too close. Then there was Hyejin, who could run yards in a single second and not break a sweat. Yong had wings, which, contrary to popular belief, actually worked. Which meant that Byul had to stay creative.

It had taken Yong about two minutes after they had ditched her at the campsite to fly over to the bike trail, emanating so much heavenly light it was practically blinding. By then, Byul had seen Wheein duck low in the tall grass so that she was hidden from view in the darkness and Hyejin was about five hundred yards in the opposite direction.

“You’re all so dead!” Yongsun announced into the open field, already laughing. She plucked her halo off the top of her head and reached in all the way up to her elbow.

In the distance, Hyejin shrieked.

“Tag!” Yong squealed into her halo before popping it back on and flying off. 

Byul laughed, she opened a portal beneath her feet and hopped in, landing by a row of trees. She climbed one and watched as a fast moving object approached. Hyejin. In the sky, Yongsun was laughing and staying just out of reach of the vampire so Byul watched her roommate turn her head every which way before eventually running off to where Wheein had been hiding. 

It went like that for a few rounds. Hyejin tagged Wheein, who gave chase across the field until she could eventually tag her back. By then, the vampire had grown smart enough to sneakily climb a tree near where Yongsun had been floating, scaring her and tagging her at the same time.

And every time a roommate got tagged, Byul opened a new portal and hopped into a new location. Near enough that she could still watch and laugh at her roommates, but far away enough and just upwind so that none of them would find her and Wheein wouldn’t be able to sniff her out.

Yongsun was it again and Byul could tell she was looking for her. She watched the angel reach into her halo at the same time that a rip in the ether opened up just by Byul’s right horn. She ducked low into the ground, avoiding the angel’s arm as she scurried to the side, opened a portal and rolled in--

Right where Wheein was waiting. Byul stared at the wolf wide-eyed. “Don’t you dare,” she hissed.

She didn’t think it was possible for a wolf to look mischievous, but Wheein managed it so well before giving a howl. Suddenly Hyejin was there too, hair all blown about from the wind and laughing, “You’re the only one left Unnie.”

Byul laughed, giving up the quiet act, “and it’s going to stay that way!” She snapped once so that a sack appeared around Hyejin’s head, giving her just enough time to run off with Wheein close on her heels and the vampire already not too far behind.

It was freeing, she realized, being able to just be themselves like this. She hadn’t realized how much every supernatural being had given up since trying to acclimate with the humans. Here in the dark night, with nothing but open spaces and the quiet of nature, they could really be just themselves. An angel, a vampire, a demon, and a werewolf. Playing together. 

Opening portals was tiresome work, and she could only do it so many times before it took its toll. So by the time she heard the flap of wings behind her, Byul knew there was nowhere to hide now. She felt Yongsun’s halo slip easily around her shoulders, wide at first, like a hula hoop, before it shrank in size until it was completely tight around her arms. She stopped running then. Byul watched Yongsun descend from above, all laughter and bright smiles before the angel approached and gave her a quick peck on the nose.

“Tag Byul-ah!”

She smirked. “You got me.”

 

---

 

On the morning before they were set to drive back to Seoul, at just a few minutes before dawn, all four of them were perched atop their camping car, looking out into the distance. The velvet blue night was already giving way to streaks of lavender and pink in the horizon.

“We should do this more often,” Yong said, as she scratched at the fur along Wheein's spine. The werewolf barked once, once the sun rose she would turn back into a woman. 

“Definitely,” Byul agreed on Yong’s other side. Their fingers were laced between them and on the demon’s other side, Hyejin had her head against Byul’s shoulder, already nodding off.

Together, the four of them basked in their shared warmth and the small family they had found in each other.