3 Years Ago

All Seoul's Street

The sun was still high in the sky when the taxi dropped her off in front of a tall apartment building, the sunlight that glinted off almost all the windows only doubled the heat that seemed to emanate off of every solid surface in waves. Wheein felt sorry to be leaving the air conditioned confines of her cab.

Even the driver seemed almost hesitant to step out and help her with her luggage, but politeness won out, and Wheein was grateful. By the time all three bags that carried her life’s possessions were carefully situated by the sidewalk, the sweat was already dripping down her lower back and the sides of her face. She adjusted the bucket hat on her head, making sure it covered as much of her face from the sun as possible. Just underneath, she felt the discomfort of her wolf ears pressing down against her scalp and winced.

“Mom was right, I should have moved in the fall,” she muttered to herself, struggling hoisting one duffel bag on each shoulder before carefully nudging her stroller luggage along with her knees. She stopped at the door, despairing at the realization that she had to put down all her bags just to call for the landlady to let her in. 

“Oh excuse me!” 

Wheein started at the voice, turning around just in time to catch a demon, juggling two full bags of groceries standing right behind her. She ducked her head, shuffling none too awkwardly to a corner, bags in tow, while the demon stepped around her. 

“Are you moving here?” the demon asked, polite, carefully setting one of the grocery bags down between her feet before fishing around her pants pocket for a set of keys. Wheein was more or less doing the same, except with her own phone. She looked up and mumbled a hurried yes, struggling to enter her phone’s passcode without disrupting the duffel bags hanging from her shoulders.

“, , 

Wheein looked up just in time to stop a runaway jar of peanut butter from rolling away into the street with the side of her foot. Beside her, she saw that one of the demon’s grocery bags had a tear in the plastic. With much difficulty, Wheein managed to pick up the stray jar, her shoulders screaming in protest at the effort. “Uhm, here.”

The demon, straightened, wiping at the sweat underneath the brim of her cap before snapping a finger. Wheein watched the tear in the grocery bag vanish like it was nothing, she felt her own mouth widen just a bit. She heard the demon chuckle, when she looked up. The demon was smirking at her, hand outstretched and waiting for the peanut butter that Wheein was still holding on to.

“Sorry,” Wheein bowed again, the embarrassment briefly overshadowing the strain in her shoulders.

“Don’t worry about it,” the demon popped the peanut butter back into the plastic bag and held open the apartment building’s door with her whole left side. “Let me thank you for saving my peanut butter by letting you into the building.”

“Ah! Thank you!” Wheein didn’t hesitate to kick her luggage forward, letting it roll with abandon into the building’s foyer as she shuffled forward with her two duffel bags. Behind her, she could hear the demon chuckling. She pressed the button to summon the elevator, while waiting she unlocked her phone properly this time, pulling up the landlady’s message for which floor she needed to go to. From the corner of her eye, she could make out the demon right beside her, waiting for the elevator too.

When the metal doors pinged open it was to one of the narrowest elevators Wheein had ever seen, with just enough room for a couple of people. Given her luggage, she would have to make the trip up alone, which was why Wheein was surprised to see the demon reach out an arm to hold them open for her. She nodded shyly, nudging her luggage forward towards the back corner of the elevator. When she turned around the demon was right there, hand poised over the elevator buttons. “Let me help you,” she said, “what floor?"

“Thank you,” Wheein said again, feeling more embarrassed than ever, “Uhm, 10th floor please.” 

The demon’s hands paused before the number and she choked out a sudden noise that was immediately covered up by a series of throat clearing. “Sorry,” the demon said, still smiling, she pressed the number before stepping out of the elevator, giving Wheein a little mischievous wave of her fingers as the door closed between them.

“Weirdo.” Wheein spent the entire ride up drumming her fingers absently against the strap of her bag. There was no point in denying to herself that she was nervous. Apart from the scant few emails they had exchanged, she had never met this landlady before, and they had mentioned a roommate as well. All her life she had only ever lived with her pack, the same faces and names for as far back as she can remember. Now she was in a new place, all by herself and the prospect of suddenly meeting new people and having to make new friends was making her anxiety skyrocket.

When the doors pinged open again, it was to the site of a nondescript hallway, linoleum floors, and a smattering of identical doors on either wall. She followed the sequence of numbers on the doors until she landed on the one that had been mentioned in the email.

Room 1031.

For the second time that day, Wheein adjusted the bucket cap on her face and straightened out her shirt before knocking.

“Byul-ah? I hope you didn’t forget the blueberries this time,” the voice from inside called out before the door was promptly opened by an angel in sweatpants and a spoon sticking out of . At the sight of Wheein, the angel flushed in embarrassment and she immediately yanked the spoon and tucked it away behind her.

“Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry I thought--I was--. Uhm. Jung Wheein-ssi? Right?”

“Yes!” Wheein bowed once, both of her duffel bags swaying forward with the movement. “I’m sorry for not calling ahead, I was--uhm.”

“Ah, don’t worry about it,” The angel stepped forward to grab the stroller luggage from her, “Please come in!”

Once Wheein had carefully toed off her open back sneakers, she found herself in a homey, open floor plan apartment. She seemed to be standing in the liminal space between a kitchen and a dining area, which was separated from what looked to be the living room with an open bookshelf that housed a few books as well as picture frames, potted plants, and various knicknacks. When she looked to her side, the angel was smiling tentatively at her.

“Do you like it?”

“Ah,” Wheein ducked her head again, curiosity replaced by shyness, “You have a lovely home,” she said, fingers gripping her duffel bag straps like a lifeline. The angel laughed, her tone friendly, “It might just be your home too, after today.”

The words sparked a thrill of excitement through her, and for the first time that day she felt hopeful about her decision to move to soul. “I hope so too,” Wheein said, smiling brightly.

“Oh, I’m sorry I guess I haven’t formally introduced myself,” the angel bowed, the tips of her wing feathers gently brushing against the kitchen tiles, “I’m Kim Yongsun. My sister bought this apartment, but for all intents and purposes, I’m the landlady.”

“Is your sister, uhm,” Wheein pointed a finger vaguely upwards, suddenly shy.

Yongsun’s smile grew even wider, “In heaven? Yes she’s there. But she likes to visit every now and then so I’m sure you’ll meet her eventually. You can set your bags down by the dining table for now if you’d like. I think I mentioned over email that there would be an interview? Just for formality’s sake.”

Wheein nodded, carefully setting down her luggage on a corner by the dining table and following the angel beyond the bookshelf towards a comfortable looking leather sofa. From here, she could now see the stairs, hidden just beside a rather large television set, which led to a series of rooms upstairs. Wheein found herself staring at the angel in awe, she was a hundred percent sure some form of angelic magic went into how spacious the apartment looked on the inside.

“Please have a seat,” Yongsun plucked the halo off her head and reached inside, her brow scrunching a bit as she searched blindly before she finally pulled out an unassuming folder and a pen. Wheein watched the whole display with even wider eyes. Yongsun chuckled, “am I the first angel you’ve met since you arrived in Seoul?”

“Yes, uhm. Sorry to stare, I’m really not used to all this. I just arrived in Seoul this morning.”

“Nothing to feel sorry for Wheein-ssi, now--”

Yongsun’s question was cut off by the shrill ring of a doorbell. Both Wheein and Yongsun jumped at the sound, and Yongsun’s smile turned sheepish. “I’m sorry thats, ah--” Before she could finish the sentence she was already sweeping back towards the front door.

“I hope you didn’t forget the blueberries!” Yongsun said, there was a deep laugh in response.

“After you texted me about it three different times and encircled the world ‘blueberries’ on our shopping list? How could I possibly?” The voice was deep, teasing, and already very familiar. Wheein didn’t have to crane her neck too far to look past the bookshelf and see the demon from downstairs already moving towards the kitchen, grocery bags in tow. 

“I would have been back earlier,” The demon was saying while she unpacked the groceries, “but there was a little mishap by the door, good thing our new roommate was there or we would have lost the peanut butter.” At this point, the demon looked up, caught her eye and grinned. Wheein felt her embarrassment reach new heights, she wanted to sink further into the sofa.

“Oh, so you’ve met?” Yongsun was already walking back toward Wheein, who wasn’t sure if she should shake her head or nod or apologize. The whole ordeal was starting to feel very surreal and to think it was just her first day in Seoul.

“Uhm at the front door and the elevator,” Wheein spluttered, “I didn’t know that you were---I’m sorry!”

The demon was already shaking her head, “Don’t apologize. Like I said, you saved our peanut butter, we owe you.” Her smile was wide and her tone was easy going, it quelled some of Wheein’s own anxiety. The demon put away the last of the groceries before walking over and offering her hand, “I’m Moon Byulyi.”

She cracked a smile, already feeling a little bit more at ease than she was when she arrived, “Jung Wheein.”

“I’ve been meaning to ask,” Yongsun said, arranging her wings behind her as she got comfortable again, “your hat must be uncomfortable.”

Wheein’s fingers jumped to the brim of her bucket hat, she had almost forgotten she had been wearing it. “I--I wasn’t sure how people would react seeing me travel alone so I thought it would be better this way.”

“You could take it off now if you’d like.”

She could see both Yongsun and Byulyi staring at her patiently, expectantly. Before she could think too much about it, she plucked the hat off, exposing her wolf ears. The relief was instantaneous, but so were Byulyi and Yongsun’s grins.

“Our new roommate is so cute!” Byul cooed, plopping down beside the angel, one hand squeezing Yongsun’s thigh. At least Yongsun had the presence of mind to nudge the demon before turning back to Wheein with a sheepish smile of her own. But the whole exchange made her raise her eyebrows in a way that had her filing away the thought for later. Perhaps when she was closer to both roommates. 

“There are lots of wolf packs in Seoul, and while lone werewolves aren’t that common, no one would look twice if you walked around this way.” Yongsun said, kind and almost motherly. It filled Wheein with a sense of calm, enough for her to leave the bucket cap on the sofa beside her. 

“Okay, so for the interview--” Yongsun began, “don’t worry, it’s mostly just so we have something on file.” Wheein nodded.

“Were you born a werewolf or turned?”

“Born.”

“Your original pack is from Jeonju?”

“Yes.”

“Will you be looking for a new pack in Seoul?”

Something deep in her wolf senses ached at the question, a primal voice at her core that still longed for the sense of belonging with other wolves, but she had a reason for moving to Seoul, and she intended to stick to it. “No, I plan on being on my own for the foreseeable future.”

Byulyi and Yongsun shared a look but said nothing, Yong scribbled something down in her folder before continuing, “Is there anything we need to know about your wolf side? Things we need to keep out of the house or maybe buy more of?”

Wheein paused. She hadn’t been expecting her new roommates to be so open like this, she grinned, “I tend to shed during transformations, you might need a stronger vacuum.”

Byulyi burst out laughing, Yongsun’s smile had grown wider as she wrote something down. “Means of income?”

She tried to mask her wince but it came out as more of a grimace, “Uhm, I’m accepting a few freelance art and graphics commissions on the side while I adjust, but I’m hoping to pursue more traditional art while I’m here, so my income might not be so regular all the time but I promise not to miss out rent!”

Yongsun nodded, “actually rent isn’t so much an--”

“Unnie owns this unit.” Byul cut in, already getting comfortable, “So it’s really just utilities and wifi that you’re splitting with us.”

“Stop butting in,” The angel reprimanded the demon with a smack to the arm, which was only met with laughter. Yongsun looked back at Wheein, sheepish, “Uhm, she’s right though, technically my sister owns the unit, we don’t have to pay the building superintendent rent, and despite this demon trying to convince me otherwise, I don’t actually feel comfortable charging you for something I’m not paying for as well. But we do have monthly bills and such which you’ll be splitting with us if you decide to stay.”

Wheein nodded, trying not to seem so eager. It already seemed too good to be true that a major cost she had been worrying about was already off the table. 

“Well that’s mostly it,” Yongsun closed the folder, plucked off her halo again, and popped it back inside, “Welcome to your new apartment!” The angel clapped and gave a cute little cheer, with Byul laughing beside her. “Is there anything you want to ask us?”

Perhaps it was the general sense of ease she already felt with Yongsun and Byulyi that was to blame, still, the next words out of Wheein’s mouth came and went without her brain so much as giving it a passing wave. “I’ve never known an angel and demon to be together like you two are.”

The blush that crept up Yongsun’s neck and spread across her cheeks was only made more endearing by the eating grin that Byulyi gave the angel. Immediately, Wheein started to backtrack, “I’m sorry that wasn’t--that’s none of my business at all, I shouldn’t have--”

“No, no,” Yongsun cleared , “I just wasn’t expecting--um,” she closed her eyes and laughed obviously still embarrassed, “ah wow. Byul-ah?”

The demon’s hand was back on Yongsun’s thigh, but more teasing than anything, “It’s the 21st century,” was all she said, rather vaguely but Wheein took it for the confirmation that it was.”

“Ah so--” Yongsun cleared again, trying to gain control of the situation, “I could give you the tour, but you’ve already seen most of the apartment. Everything down here is free space, you can help yourself to anything in the pantry and let me know too if you like any specific brands, but--”

“Although  you’d probably want to stay clear of Unnie’s homemade greek yogurt,” Byul teased from behind. Yong responded with a glare.  

“The only other thing we should show you is the upstairs. Yongsun stood up, motioning for Wheein to follow with Byul lagging a few steps behind.

“These are mostly the bedrooms, with the bathroom over there at the end of the hall,” Yongsun was saying pointing to one door at the end of a narrow hallway, separated from the rest of the apartment below by a wooden and metal railing. “This first room is mine and Byul’s and you can take this room beside us.”

Yongsun opened a door to a simple looking bedroom, with a bed, a vanity that was attached to a closet, and a desk that had a few shelves situated overhead. What drew Wheein’s attention though, were the outward facing windows that had a nice view of Seoul that she was already half in love with.

“We’ll help you bring your bags up and let you get settled, and then after, we could show you around the neighborhood?” Yong said

“What do you think?” Byulyi asked, Wheein turned to find both angel and demon just at the doorway of the room--her room now-- waiting. She found herself really contemplating her answer.

When she had left Jeonju that morning, it was with no small amount of sadness and fear. The empty space her pack left behind in her heart was still there, and she figured it would still be there for a while. But at that moment, all she felt was a growing sense of excitement at something new that seemed to be on the precipice of becoming something amazing. For the first time since she arrived,Wheein’s smile was back in full force and she could feel her tail spring forth from behind, already wagging excitedly.

“That sounds great!”