Chapter 3

In Aeternum

"So everything is gucci with your dad now?" Wooyoung asked the following day as they sat on the monkey bars in a nearby playground after evening classes to have ice cream together. San beamed happily and nodded. 

 

"Thanks to you for convincing me to talk with him. It's all good now," San replied and leaned on Wooyoung as he on the popsicle. 

 

"That's great. I knew you could do it, my Sannie~," Wooyoung cooed and gave him a head pat. One might mistake them to be lovers but that was still far from the truth that San wanted. San glanced at Wooyoung who just stared into space with his ice cream before he was caught. Wooyoung returned the stare and San gulped, wondering if Wooyoung felt the same way he did but neither of them moved upon it. They just merely looked away as if looking any longer would be troublesome. "Speaking of speaking to him, what about the field trip?" 

 

"Wah! I knew I was forgetting something," San gasped and looked at Wooyoung apologetically. "I was too caught up with asking him all sorts of things and forgot about the field trip..." 

 

"Sannie ah, what do we do with you?" Wooyoung asked jokingly and Sam pouted. 

 

"I'll make sure to ask him today. Remind me with a text," San said and Wooyoung chuckled. 

 

"Of course. Anything for you," Wooyoung said and they finished up their ice cream before parting ways. 

 

The entire time they were sitting and enjoying their little hangout, four pairs of eyes were watching them from afar. One of them being Hong joong. They were all dressed rather suspiciously in outfits from the Victorian era but no one paid much attention to them since they were hidden from public view. 

 

"So what do we do now, boss?" one of the other figures asked. "Should we attack Seonghwa's son or that boy next to him?" 

 

"No one touches his son. Knowing Seonghwa, he has already placed a safety protection on him. Spook the other boy but by no means should you hurt him. Kidnap him, scare him all you want but you are not to hurt him if you don't want your head to be hanging away from the rest of your body," Hong joong ordered them. 

 

"You mean to say that that kid can do us that much harm? He's only a human child," another crackled, clearly looking down on the boys but Hong joong just let out a dry laugh and shook his head. 

 

"No but Seonghwa can and he will if San asks him to." 

 

"What do we do after that?" the calmest of the three asked. 

 

"Get Seonghwa to come home, of course. If his loved ones are in danger of being hunted by vampires, he is bound to come home to stop us at the root. I have already warned him that this won't be the last he has seen of me." Hong joong turned around to leave. That's just the person he is, he thought to himself as he left the three to their own devices. 

 

÷÷÷

 

Usually San would walk him to the bus stop and wait for him to board it before they parted ways but since the playground was closer to San's home, Wooyoung had told him that he would be fine walking back alone today despite the other's protest at first. Wooyoung didn't think he would be of any interest to anyone after all. He was rather small in stature and he didn't wear any branded items or clothing so there wasn't any reason for anyone to even bat an eyelash towards him. It was also getting darker so he started to walk faster. At least it wasn't that cold, he thought as he rubbed his nose and pulled his jacket closer. But after a few more steps, he couldn't help but to wonder why it suddenly felt much colder. There was no wind either so it didn't make sense for it to become so cold. He heard footsteps behind him and he unconsciously glanced behind. There was a figure behind him, casually walking and Wooyoung didn't think much of it at first so he continued walking on his merry way but it didn't take long before he started to feel weirded out as the footsteps never left his hearing. They were consistent with his own steps even if he sped up. 

 

Tap. Tap. Tap. 

 

He gulped and decided to glance behind again despite feeling his hair stand and his mind screaming at him not to. He yelped aloud when he saw a person right behind him. He didn't know why but he broke into a sprint out of shock. He could almost see the bus stop and rushed to it, clinging onto the light pole to catch his breath. He glanced around nervously just to be sure that no one else was following him and took his phone out. His first thought was just to call San and he started to dial the other's number unbeknownst to himself that someone came right up to him as he did so. Just as the video call connected, he felt an ice cold hand wrap around his face and pulled him backwards into the shadow. 

 

"HHHHNN!" Wooyoung let out a muffled scream as he started to struggle with the assailant he couldn't see. He could hear San but couldn't make out what the other was saying or screaming as he feared for his own life at that moment. 

 

"Wooyoung?! Wooyoung! What's going on?!" San screamed over his phone as he watched in horror at his friend being attacked by something he couldn't quite tell either. He had just reached home but now his legs had brought him sprinting out again as he went in search for his friend. There was a loud cracking sound as Wooyoung's phone hit the pavement and San paused to look at the screen. A pale unfamiliar face appeared on the screen, picking up the phone and San gasped. "Who are you?! What have you done to Wooyoung?! Answer me!" 

 

The face broke into a grin and moved the phone further from his face. In his hand was an unconscious Wooyoung being held up by the chin. San felt his blood boil but also the same fear that made him tensed up as he had when he looked at Hongjoong's back alone. He could see fangs shining through the screen and his blood turned cold. Vampires? 

 

"Leave him alone!" San shouted at his phone and started to run again in search of his friend. He didn't even stop to think that he was going up against vampires as he only feared for Wooyoung's safety now. 

 

"What should I say to this weak human to rile him up?" the vampire said with a distorted chuckle. 

 

"Tell him to send Seonghwa to us. We will meet him under the bridge at M Street tonight," the calmer one said. "Don't forget what Hong joong ordered us to do." 

 

"I won't forget. Hey, kid." 

 

"I'm not a kid!" San growled and the vampire hummed in amusement. 

 

"Call Seonghwa and tell him to meet us under the bridge at M Street by tonight. If you don't," The vampire said and lifted Wooyoung closer, parting his lips and darting his tongue along his neck. San's eyes widened as he watched those fangs go closer to Wooyoung's exposed neck. "You can kiss your friend goodbye."

 

"Stop! Don't!" San could only yell, feeling his thoughts muddle up in his anger and fear. He quickly turned back towards his home, sprinting as fast as his lungs and legs could bring him. He reached his home in record time and burst through the front door, panting heavily. His head hurt but he couldn't rest as he rushed to his dad's study room and slammed the door open. Seonghwa looked up from the paper in his hand before placing it aside at the sight of San. "Appa.... Appa." 

 

"What's the matter, San? You look pale and you're sweating like crazy," Seonghwa said as he approached his son. He jolted when San grasped his arms tightly and his expression was one of desperation. 

 

"Appa." 

 

"Calm down and breathe first," Seonghwa said calmly and cupped his cheeks, gently brushing his thumbs across his face to calm him down. San almost choked on his own saliva but managed to take a few breaths before realising that this might be another mistake. Why would he put his own dad in danger? "San?" 

 

"Ah... I... appa..." 

 

"I'm right here," Seonghwa said, feeling more worried as he saw how manic San's eyes were. "What is it?" 

 

"Woo... they... hah..." San felt conflicted. This was exactly what he didn't want to happen. If those vampires were after his dad, they should have come after him. Why did they go after Wooyoung? He started to sniffle and gritted his teeth as he couldn't decide what to do now. His dad or his best friend? 

 

"Woo? Wooyoung? What happened to him?" Seonghwa asked and San whimpered as he dropped to his knees. 

 

"I'm so sorry, appa... I'm so sorry," he sobbed and Seonghwa quickly hugged him. 

 

"Tell me what happened, San ah. I won't understand if you cry," he said softly and patted his back in hopes that that would help. 

 

"Vampires... they took Wooyoung and.. And they won't give him back unless... unless you go there," San whimpered as he hugged Seonghwa tightly. Seonghwa stiffened and moved back slightly to look at San who was trembling in his arms. "How do I save him..." 

 

"San." 

 

"Huh?" 

 

"Where are they?" 

 

San flinched and clung onto Seonghwa before shaking his head. "Appa, you can't go. What if.... What if that Hongjoong guy is doing this on purpose?" 

 

"I need to go. You can't save Wooyoung, not like this," Seonghwa said, trying to remain level-headed. 

 

"Appa... I don't want you to get hurt." 

 

"If I don't go, they'll hurt Wooyoung which will hurt you more. I can't allow that," Seonghwa said firmly. 

 

"Appa... it's all my fault." 

 

"No, San ah. It's not."

 

"They want to meet... under the bridge at M Street." Seonghwa gently peeled San's clinging arms off him despite the other trying to stop him from going. "Appa, please."

 

"I'll bring Wooyoung back, San. Just stay here." 

 

San shook his head again as he clung onto Seonghwa's shirt. "At least let me go with you." 

 

"And risk you getting hurt? I can't do that, San." Seonghwa pulled San's hands off of his shirt and took a step away from his son. "I'll be alright. If it's just Hongjoong's good for nothing trio, they are no match for me." 

 

Seonghwa patted San's head and went out the opened doors with nothing but the wind accompanying him. He would like to believe that Hongjoong wouldn't stoop so low to attack his son's best friend to get to him but things were different between them now. San rubbed his tears away and pushed himself up. He admitted that he was afraid of being hurt but he also had to admit that it hurt more than he thought possible to know that Wooyoung and his dad were in danger. He rushed out after shutting the doors and picked up his fallen bicycle. He should have just gone alone or called the police but why did he have to tell Seonghwa everything like an idiot? It almost felt as if he had no control over his own actions earlier but it was all coming back to him now. 

 

Seonghwa only slowed down when he was on the bridge. He sighed as he jumped down from the side of the railings to the bottom of the bridge, landing on his feet with ease. Of course, he could have taken a less flashier entrance but this was the fastest and safest route to him. He started to search for Wooyoung while keeping an eye out for any ambush. Of course, he knew how Wooyoung looked even if the other had never been to their house before. He and San had been friends for more than a year after all. There was no way he didn't keep track of such a person. His steps came to a stop when he saw the poor unconscious male laying on the ground with his hands bound behind him. One of the vampires squatted over him and poked his cheek. Another seated on abandoned tables and chairs that were in a pile. The last one, Seonghwa, spun around just in time to deflect the punch that came flying at him. The vampire landed and crackled. 

 

"Looks like you're not as strong as you were before," the vampire said mockingly and Seonghwa looked at his bruised arm that quickly healed up. 

 

"Let the boy go. I'm your target, aren't I?" Seonghwa sighed, not intending to use his full strength here since Wooyoung might get caught in their fight. 

 

"Where's your son, huh? That little creep was bawling his eyes out for this one," asked the one near Wooyoung. Seonghwa twitched at the mention of his son but still kept his cool. The vampire grasped Wooyoung by his hair and lifted his face off the ground. "I was certain he would come and try to save his little boyfriend." 

 

"Did Hongjoong tell you to do this?" Seonghwa asked in a low tone. Wooyoung grunted softly and opened his eyes a little from the pain he felt from his head. He was confused as he glanced around. He didn't recognise any of the 4 males and being tied was an unpleasant feeling along with laying down on the cold rocks. He just felt like he shouldn't say a word right now or something bad would happen to him. 

 

"He told us not to hurt the boy," the calm one said, hopping down from the pile of broken tables and chairs. "But he never said not to hurt you." 

 

"So this is how you want to play," Seonghwa said with a frown. Keep Wooyoung hostage so he wouldn't be able to retaliate. He knew his chances weren't good if he couldn't find a way to get Wooyoung out of here first. 

 

"Hehe~ let's play," the crazier one chuckled as he shot himself at Seonghwa who grabbed him and threw him down. The calm one made a move too, both attacking Seonghwa from opposite sides. Seonghwa moved out of the way and blocked their arm and leg that came swinging at him. While Seonghwa was pretty sure he would be able to win them if he went all out, it was still difficult to only be on the defensive as he tried to look for openings but the last vampire stayed close to Wooyoung. 

 

Meanwhile Wooyoung was just baffled by the vampires fighting. His eyes could barely keep up with each jab or kick that the two were throwing at Seonghwa. Sometimes they bared their fangs and tried to bite him too but Seonghwa would move out of the way. As it almost felt like it was going nowhere, the sound of rubber scraping across the rocks made them pause briefly. Seonghwa's eyes widened in shock when he saw who it was. The two vampires took their chance and knocked Seonghwa off his feet, pinning him down as he growled. 

 

"Appa!" San yelped as he rushed forward but the final vampire moved and blocked his way, making him stumble backwards. 

 

"You did well bringing Seonghwa here," the vampire said with a sly grin and grabbed him by the throat. 

 

"Ghhk-" 

 

"San!" Seonghwa gasped and clenched his jaw. 

 

"Get away from San!" Wooyoung screamed and bashed his entire being against the vampire who let him go out of surprise. 

 

"Wooyoung!" San coughed out and hugged his friend tightly. 

 

"San, get him out of here! Go!" Seonghwa snapped and San felt it again. The conflict within him. His dad was being pinned down. His friend was in his arms. This was like exchanging one for another. His heart couldn't take it. 

 

"Appa, I-" 

 

"Who said you're going anywhere?" the vampire hissed and glared at the two youngsters who flinched. 

 

"Run!" Seonghwa yelled and Wooyoung pushed San with his shoulder to get him to move. He didn't want to leave his dad but clearly they were out matched for a vampire. The vampire moved to chase them but Seonghwa snapped his fingers. At first it seemed like nothing happened but then Seonghwa and the vampire chasing the two boys swapped places. Seonghwa straightened his clothes and his pupils turned red. 

 

"You dare lay a hand on my son," Seonghwa whispered as the two vampires were shocked as well. They didn't know Seonghwa was capable of that but the three of them quickly hopped to their feet. "I hope you're ready to meet your maker."