Chapter 23

In Aeternum

"My fellow vampires, it seems to me that everything has been smooth sailing so far and thus, we shall begin the third competition." 

 

"Wait. Before that," a vampire interrupted Yeosang who looked down towards him. "In the competition yesterday, that small vampire, he's not even one of us purebloods or a vampire who stays here and he's a total freshie but how is he winning and why are you even letting him participate? It's also strange how he seemed to be under someone's control too." 

 

"Are you questioning Wooyoung?" 

 

"Well, duh if that's his name. Kid's got some spunk but I can tell he's cheating. He should be disqualified." 

 

Yeosang's eyes glowed and Mingi who was beside him gulped. Seonghwa wasn't sure why the vampire brought it up but he already knew that Wooyoung was only 'cheating' because he was being controlled by Yeosang and fed with his powers. 

 

"You dare say such things about my sunshine," Yeosang hissed softly. 

 

"Sir, calm down. It won't do well to make a scene here," Mingi said calmly. "It'll be better to withdraw Wooyoung from the competition or the others would be more discontent." 

 

"Shut up, Mingi. I didn't give you back your voice to spout nonsense. And you!" Yeosang frowned at the vampire. "You'll die." 

 

"Wha-" The vampire exploded like a balloon being popped with a single point from Yeosang's finger. Blood was everywhere but the other vampires didn't react as much. Seonghwa was stunned and couldn't believe what had just happened but he could roughly tell how deep Yeosang's obsession towards Wooyoung was. Apparently, strong enough to just execute someone on the spot. Wooyoung who had just been brought out was confused by everyone's stares but tried not to make eye contact since it was making him awkward. 

 

"Due to an odd number count, I announce that Wooyoung shall move on to the final round. Whoever has a problem with this can speak up now," Yeosang boomed and Wooyoung tilted his head in confusion. He looked at the guards who were by his side but they seemed equally confused. The rest of the vampires were silent and Mingi hopped down to lead Wooyoung back inside. 

 

"What's going on?" Wooyoung asked Mingi. 

 

"The Overseer is in one of his pissy moods. He killed a vampire for asking to disqualify you." 

 

"Huh? Why would they want to disqualify me? And why would the Overseer even get so upset with that?" 

 

"Because he wants you to win? And you can't win if you're disqualified so he squashed the voice of discontent before more came up." 

 

"This is going way too far, Mingi. He's just going to kill people who has nothing to do with me now?" 

 

"If you're to be in reign, everyone has to do with you." 

 

Wooyoung frowned but still couldn't bring himself to see the logic behind it. He could only hope whatever plan Seonghwa had, he would execute it soon. 

 

Meanwhile Seonghwa was locked in a mental battle with another vampire. He entered the other's mind after a battle for control and apologized before using his ability to rearrange their mind and drive the other mad. Depending on the person, it would usually be less than ideal to enter someone's mind without preparation but Seonghwa wasn't here to play. 

 

Kill. 

 

He was here to get rid of his competition and make it to the finals. He still wasn't entirely sure how he was going to save Wooyoung but they had a plan and he just needed to trust the others to follow it. 

 

Seonghwa stepped out from the other's mind and panted slightly as he watched the vampire writhed and eyes rolling upwards. He knew using his ability in one's mind would completely destroy them but he had all these powers and what good were they if not to lead him to victory. His hands shook a little but he held them tightly in fists to quell the shaking. 

 

Hongjoong, who was observing from above, turned to Jongho. 

 

"How many times has he used his powers?" Hongjoong asked and Jongho frowned. 

 

"Why do you ask?" 

 

"I need to know." 

 

"He used it quite a lot during the first round. I wasn't counting. He used it once in the second round to dodge Wooyoung and I'm guessing he used it just now in the mental battle." 

 

"So he's still alright then." 

 

"What is that supposed to mean?" Jongho asked curiously. 

 

"He never told you how his powers worked?" 

 

Jongho shook his head and Hongjoong chuckled. 

 

"Always so many secrets. Makes you wonder if you'll ever know the real Seonghwa," Hongjoong whispered to himself and Jongho reached out, grabbing the other by his collar. 

 

"Look here. I don't care if you know the real him or not. Don't hurt him anymore. Seonghwa hyung keeps his feelings to himself but we know he hurts easily. If you hurt him again, I swear Yunho hyung and I will do our best to make you miserable," Jongho snarled and Hongjoong lifted both his hands. 

 

"Okay, okay. Calm down, hot head. I promise, whatever I do from here on out, it'll only be in Seonghwa's best interests." 

 

Jongho squinted at Hongjoong and refused to believe that someone who had hurt Seonghwa more than once was capable of keeping his interests at heart but Jongho wasn't one to keep badgering so he redirected his attention to Seonghwa who had already won his battle easily. Seonghwa joined them after he had been declared winner for his battle. 

 

"Still feeling alright?" Hongjoong asked and Seonghwa nodded. 

 

"I've been better but I'll be fine."

 

"Don't forg-" 

 

"I won't, Hongjoong. I need it." 

 

Jongho was curious about what they were discussing but didn't stick his nose in between. If Seonghwa wanted to keep it a secret, why would he dig it up? Yunho was barely paying attention to them as his gaze was constantly searching for Mingi who had disappeared after bringing Wooyoung back inside and then reappearing again beside the Overseer. He worried for his friend, ex-lover, lover even more after their brief meeting yesterday. Yunho didn't even get the chance to talk to him much before he had left again. It hurt him but he didn't show it since he didn't want Jongho to get the wrong idea. He wished they could mend their relationship but right now, it didn't feel like the priority despite his thoughts chasing after Mingi. 

 

"Hyung, hyung! We are going back now." 

 

"Ah. Sorry. Coming." Yunho gave Mingi one last look before running off to join the rest. 

 

"You can talk to him more once we set him free from the Overseer's hold." 

 

"Hmm? You noticed?" 

 

"I wouldn't be much of a brother if I didn't notice. You didn't even get to talk to him when he came by yesterday. You were just staring at him for that whole 20 minutes that he was there for." 

 

"It was 20 minutes? Felt shorter than that," Yunho sighed and Jongho patted him on the back. 

 

"Once this is over, you can start from there." 

 

"You're right... once it's all over..." 

 

That midnight, Seonghwa laid down in his bed and sighed. Soon, this would be over or at least, he hoped so. He turned to look at his door and stiffened when he saw a figure walking in. He sighed when he realised it was just Hongjoong. 

 

"Big day tomorrow, huh?" 

 

"Hmm.... I never wanted to become what he wanted me to be and yet... Look at me now," Seonghwa sighed. 

 

"There's something I have to tell you," Hongjoong said as he walked closer and Seonghwa scooted aside to make space for him. He sat down and breathed in sharply. 

 

"What's wrong?" 

 

"I'm not... Who you think I am." 

 

"Well... okay." 

 

"I mean it... I'm not real." 

 

Seonghwa nodded and held his hand. "Hmm... go on." 

 

"I was created by your father." 

 

"Okay." 

 

"You're not surprised?" 

 

"I am. I'm just incredibly tired too. Too many things have happened recently... It almost feels like nothing is surprising anymore," Seonghwa replied. "But I'm listening." 

 

"The Archives of Knowledge. That's where he... Made me. I don't know the finer details but when I first came to, that's where I was from. That's how I knew which direction to point you for the answers you wanted." 

 

"I see. I assume my father told you to get close to me too?" 

 

Hongjoong shook his head and felt guilty but he had hid this for far too long. "At first, he said that I just needed to watch you but I got too curious and too close. I was curious and you were everything I've ever known. I just wanted a friend, a proper one. That's why he was so mad when he saw us playing together." 

 

"I see... I never understood why he wanted to kill you... even if it was just a preface to make me stronger, was that even necessary?" 

 

"I don't know. Even though he created me, the time I spent with him was zero so don't count on me to understand his thoughts." 

 

Seonghwa pulled Hongjoong's hand closer. "So what made you want to tell me this now?" 

 

"When I met the current vampire lord, he reminded me of it. Also.... I just have a very bad feeling about the finals. I.... I don't want it to come." 

 

"Hongjoong, you know I have to do it." 

 

"What if you die? I don't want to live in a world where you're not in it." 

 

"You've lived plenty of years without me. I'm sure even if something happens, you'll be fine. If I really do die tomorrow, I'll need someone to look after my boys for me. Yunho, Jongho, San... Wooyoung." 

 

Hongjoong squeezed his hand tightly and sighed. "I'm not good at that. I'm not even good at caring about myself." 

 

"You're a total mess, I know. But someone will have to." 

 

"That someone is you. Only you can." 

 

Seonghwa closed his eyes and pulled Hongjoong into a hug. He was surprised but returned the hug as he laid down properly. "I've missed you." 

 

"Happy to hear that." 

 

"You remember what you have to do tomorrow, right?" 

 

"I do, Seonghwa... I'll make sure I perform flawlessly." 

 

Seonghwa smiled and buried his face onto Hongjoong's chest. "I know you will." 

 

"You're okay with this?" 

 

"Wouldn't be doing it if I wasn't. Just stay here... You don't have to be anywhere else anymore. Just... stay with me." 

 

The vampire blinked slowly before breathing a small relieved breath and embracing his lover. He could tell Seonghwa was nervous and scared but was still trying to hold everything together tightly because if he didn't, he would break apart and he couldn't afford to do that right now. 

 

"Sleep well, my love." 

 

For a brand new night will greet us. 

 

"You have been summoned." 

 

San looked up from his bed. "By who?" 

 

"None of your concern," the vampire said as he opened the cage door. San gulped and slowly walked out from the cage he had been in the past few days. He started walking towards the door that was left open and noticed a guard standing outside with handcuffs in his hands. San guessed it was for him and took a step back. "Move it." 

 

"Do you even need to cuff me? I'm a human," San asked. 

 

"Shut up and put your hands out." 

 

San pursed his lips and gave a quick glance around. He reached behind him and in a flash, grabbed the sword from the vampire's scabbard. He swung forward, lobbing the vampire's head off whilst using his other hand to slice the neck of the one behind him with the blade Seonghwa had given him. Both of the vampires turned into ashes as soon as they met their death and San felt adrenaline running in his blood. He had no idea where to go, of course but this was his only chance of escaping right now. He started to run with the sword and blade in hand and it didn't take long before he came across the next guard who was startled to find him alone with weapons too. San flung the sword at him in a panic. The guard blocked it but the moment he lowered it, San made a concise cut through his neck and landed on his feet. He started to run instead, knowing someone would start noticing something. He looked at the spiral looking place and the geography just confused him. It was hard for him to even describe the place but it was dark. Though he had plenty of time to get used to it since the room he was kept in wasn't that bright either. 

 

He caught sight of the shorter vampire who had kidnapped Wooyoung and him and found his blood boiling. He knew he was no match for him but he could definitely lead him to his best friend. San tried to sneak close to him and followed him as the other walked deep within the area of weird twists and turns. San tried his best to remember the routes he had taken and quickly hid when he saw the other enter a room. He was somewhat relieved that the area had weird indents in the wall that allowed him to be out of sight. He waited patiently, keeping his breathing low and flinched when he heard guards running around. He guessed they were trying to find him and one of them even zipped past him towards the room the other vampire had entered. He heard hushed conversation followed by an angry yell and more stomps. He saw two pairs of feet rushed past him and he guessed the other had left too. He quietly snuck out and peered into the room. 

 

He gasped softly when he saw his friend. He entered the room and shut the door as quietly as he could before rushing up to him. He grabbed the chain and pulled it, wondering where it was even attached to. 

 

"Wooyoung?" San called his name softly and cupped his cheeks. Wooyoung blinked and looked up in shock. 

 

"S-San? What are you doing here?" Wooyoung whispered. 

 

"To get you out, of course. How do I... there's not even a lock here." San gritted his teeth and tried to yank the chain down but it wouldn't budge. 

 

"You should leave. Run." 

 

"I'm not leaving you," San whined and tried the other side to no avail. He groaned and tried with the blade too but nothing would make the chains release Wooyoung. 

 

"Listen to me, San. Mingi already told me that this room is controlled by the Overseer. The only one who can release these chains is him. You have to leave before he comes back." 

 

"Leave without you?" 

 

"Yes. Please. If you don't... He'll make me kill you."

 

"Wooyoung... I can't go. Not without you." San tried to loosen the chains around Wooyoung's waist but only to find them tightening up even more. 

 

"I told you to listen to me," Wooyoung hissed and pouted. 

 

"But there has to be something I can do." 

 

"There isn't! If you don't run away while you still can, I... I don't know what I'll do. He can control me, San. If he orders me to kill you, I'll do it." 

 

"What are you talking about?" 

 

"He's telling the truth, unfortunately for you," a voice said behind them and San flinched as he spun around to find the Overseer standing there. He didn't even hear anyone come in. 

 

"Let Wooyoung go!" San snapped while putting his fists up and gulping. 

 

"Very well." Yeosang moved his fingers and the chains rattled before sliding off Wooyoung. "But that doesn't mean I'm letting you go." 

 

"Huh?" 

 

"Stop!" Wooyoung quickly tried to pull San away but gasped as the chains shot up quicker than he could move, wrapping around San's body and lifting him off the ground easily. San struggled to get out but they only squeezed more. He gasped for air and grunted as his arms and legs were constricted. Wooyoung pushed himself up to his feet and tried to grab San. "Let him go!" 

 

"No. He is the final piece of the prophecy. There's no way I can let him go." 

 

"I..." Wooyoung had to think fast as he watched his best friend dangle above him. He turned to Yeosang and clenched his jaw. "I'll do what you want. I'll be the vampire lord. Can't you just let him go?" 

 

"No, Woo! You can't!" San hissed through sharp gasps for air. Yeosang looked indifferent towards it. 

 

"The human is necessary for your final change. Let's go now. The others are waiting." 

 

"But San-" 

 

Yeosang lifted his hand and Wooyoung froze. He tried to fight the thing that was causing him to black out just like Mingi taught him but he felt like he was just grasping at straws here. He didn't know how to fight this. 

 

"Wooyoung? Wooyoung!" San called out to him but he became unresponsive. 

 

"Good. Now, come with me, Wooyoung," Yeosang said and Wooyoung started walking towards Yeosang. "Go wait outside." 

 

"Wooyoung, come back!" 

 

"Shh, you'll join him soon enough. Mingi, come in." 

 

"Yes, sir." Mingi walked in as Wooyoung walked out past him. 

 

"I want you to use your power on San." 

 

"But... He's a human." 

 

"I gave you back your voice not to argue with me. Do as I say." 

 

"Yes, sir... what would you like me to say?" 

 

"Make him believe Wooyoung is his enemy." 

 

"But, sir... you know that might not work if his feeling-" 

 

"Then you better do your best or you'll have no need for your voice." 

 

Mingi gulped and nodded. He approached San who struggled and glared at him. 

 

"The chains will bring him down when you're done. Hurry now. I haven't got all day," Yeosang said as he left the room. 

 

"You said you were helping me! Was that a lie?" San hissed and Mingi became flustered. 

 

"Shh! Not so loud. Vampires have sharper hearing than humans," Mingi whispered harshly and San pouted. 

 

"Are you really going to make me hate Wooyoung?" 

 

"It would be easier to just do that, right?" Mingi sighed and held San's head. San flinched and tried to move his head away but being upside down made it difficult for him to get his bearings. 

 

"No... don't." 

 

Mingi's eyes turned red and he whispered, "Sorry, San. It'll be over soon." 

 

As soon as you close your eyes and open them again. 

 

San blinked as he found himself in the middle of a platform, chained to it with cheers and roars surrounding him. He groaned and looked around before reality set in. He let out a shaky breath when he realized vampires were all above and around him. He gasped and tugged at the chains but couldn't break free. He couldn't even get up and he felt his blood run cold. It was as if he was in a horror movie, about to be mauled to death by vampires. There were 10 holes surrounding the platform and San couldn't even see beyond the entrance of it. 

 

"Greetings, my fellow vampires. Settle down now," Yeosang's voice boomed and San tried to find him but couldn't see him from the angle he was in. "I know you see a human on the platform but this one is special. He is not for us to feast on but for the winner of the competition. When there are only 3 competitors left, the human will be released and the first to drink his blood will be the winner." 

 

"What?" San gasped and tried to pull on the chains harder. "Damn it. I'm not some kinda winner winner chicken dinner." 

 

"Let the final begin." 

 

A loud horn echoed and San felt chills run through him. He needed to escape but how and where? There were literally vampires everywhere. He started to look around frantically and caught sight of familiar faces in the crowd but he dared not call out to them, afraid he might make them targets. Seonghwa wasn't among them and neither was Wooyoung. San felt alone and afraid. Reality was far too frightening to him right now.