Chapter 3

Plaid Shirt

 

You stopped at the plaid shop with Myungsoo. It didn’t take him long to realize where he was. You noticed that his eyes changed their expression. Myungsoo spoke to you most clearly with his eyes. You could never misunderstand the deepest emotions and feelings that his eyes expressed. The happiness radiating from him clearly told you everything that he felt about this shop.

 

“Myungsoo.” You called his name.

 

He turned to you with a questioning look on his face.

You held up the documents and pointed to the sign. Slowly, he connected the two statements into one idea.

 

“You...you’re applying?”

 

“Yes, Myungsoo. And you are applying too.”

 

He continued to stare at you. If it was anyone else in your position, they would be puzzled by his blank face. But you saw past his face, the mask that hid his soul from the eyes of others. This was not something that he could expect you to do on your own.

 

“I know that you are bored on the weekends. You want to do something more interesting than just sitting at home. Let’s work hard together, okay?”

 

You encouraged him to follow you inside. Just before opening the door, you glanced back at him.

 

“Come on, snap out of it already. I was just trying to surprise you. Don’t scare the ahjumma with that look, or I will never go shopping with you again.”

 

That statement seemed to bring him back to reality. He reached out and opened the door, holding it open for you first, and then walking through himself. His eyes wandered over the entire shop. First the rack with plaid socks, underneath which stood a few pairs of plaid slippers. Then he saw a hanger with plaid scarves, hats, handkerchiefs and gloves. He wandered over to the shirts section. He saw the men’s rack with plaid button-up shirts of various colours, and a shelf with plaid pajamas. On the women’s side he saw plaid dresses and blouses, as well as a shelf with plaid pajamas and exercise pants. Finally, his eyes stopped on you, who was talking with an elderly lady at the counter. He walked up and stopped next to you.

 

“So he is your husband who loves to wear plaid.” She observed Myungsoo from head to toe.

 

“Congratulations, young man, on becoming the second male worker in the history of this shop! I am assuming that your wife told you about the working hours and conditions?”

 

“No….” he looked at you questioningly.

 

You shrugged at him as the lady smiled widely. “You two will be my weekend helpers. I will leave the opening and closing of the shop to you, as well as the organizing and basic cleaning during the day. I expect you two to take good care of the customers, help them out whenever they need something.” She looked at Myungsoo, reading no response from his face.

 

You quickly answered, “Yes, of course, you can trust us with those things. We will take good care of your shop and the customers. So can we start work this Saturday?”

 

She nodded. “If you can come in at noon, I will show you where everything that you will need is located. The customers usually start coming in around two in the afternoon and the shop closes at nine on the weekends. Other than that, I will leave the rest up to you.”

 

You thanked the lady and collected your belongings. Taking Myungsoo by the hand, the two of you headed outside. He still has not said anything, but you sensed that he was even more excited than you to start working there. Of course, he would have to work on being more social with the customers, but you knew that if Myungsoo put his mind to something, then nothing could stop him from achieving his goal.

 

“Honey!!” Myungsoo suddenly said.

 

You turned around and immediately found yourself in a tight hug.

 

“Nobody can understand me better than you. You found the perfect weekend activity for us!”

 

You slightly laughed at his words.

 

“This is happening with only one condition.”

 

“What is it?” He asked.

 

You thought back to the shop and the wide variety of plaid clothing being sold there.

 

“You will never wear the same shirt twice, never again.”