Chapter 1

Plaid Shirt

 

He has been nagging you for days to go out on a date with him. You didn’t understand why he wanted to go out so badly. You live under the same roof, you have been married for five months already, and he still wants to go on a date with you.  On top of that, you are a week behind with laundry and he wants to wear his favourite blue plaid shirt which hasn’t been washed since last time and which he can’t go without for even a day. That shirt stinks from a mile away, if not more.

 

Suddenly you heard something fall and he yelped.

 

“Kim Myungsoo! What happened in there?”

 

“Have you seen my shirt? I took it off last night and it must have been misplaced…”

 

“Misplaced would be the correct word if you put it back in the closet. Why can’t you wear something

different for a change?”

 

“Yeobo! You know that I don’t wear anything else other than my favourite plaid shirt. Can you please give it back to me?”

 

“No way. Do you know how dirty the sleeves are already? You have to wash it a lot more often if you want to wear it every day. Now if you want to take me out on the date today, you better find something else to wear. Here, put this on”

 

You handed him a simple blue polo shirt. You sighed at the memory. Ever since high school, Myungsoo never wore anything other than plaid. When he got a job, he wore black blazers to work and plaid shirts everywhere else. When he proposed to you, you told him that you would accept his proposal only if he added more variety of clothes to his wardrobe. He agreed, of course, and on the next day, you found a variety of new styles of shirts in his closet. But you should have known better than to leave it at that, because all those shirts have not been worn till present.

 

His voice interrupted your thoughts, “But that is totally not my style! How can I leave the house wearing this?”

 

You were started to get annoyed. He was so stubborn when it came to his clothes.

 

“Kim Myungsoo. If you don’t put something on and we don’t leave the house within the next fifteen minutes, you can forget about the date. I’m going to go change so you better hurry up and decide on something.”

 

You quickly left the room and headed for the bathroom. Sometimes he can be very immature. But this Kim Myungsoo was the person you fell for. You loved him for who he was and fashion was of very little importance. However, you did not want to go out with him wearing a stinky and dirty shirt. You smiled when you heard him walk into the corridor next to the front door. Threatening him to stay at home always worked!

 

After a long day in the downtown, you finally convinced him that that was enough walking for one day. On the way home, you noted a little store with a ‘Help Wanted” sign in the window. Next to the sign, the display behind the glass was filled with plaid shirts and accessories of different colours and styles.

 

“This would be paradise for my husband”, you thought.

 

The next morning you woke up early and did the usual routine, which included sending Myungsoo off to work. You didn’t mind his daily work attire which was always the black shoes, black pants and black blazer. At least he took care to keep it in clean and changed his shirts every day.

You found your way back to the little shop. Myungsoo did not need another job. It was enough that you had to spend eight hours per day alone. You did not need money either. His regular job paid well enough and neither of you two were big spenders. No, you had other plans in mind. Hopefully this shop needed a part time worker or two.