Kiss Cam

Kiss Cam

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I miss you already," Junmyeon pouted in front of the camera. He was lying on his stomach, a huge, soft pillow underneath his chest. His arms are extended in front of him, holding his phone while facetiming his boyfriend.


"I miss you, too, Myeonnie," Yixing smiled, showing a bedimpled cheek. Despite the bad lighting from his end, his very being still stood out.


Jun kicked his legs against the mattress in frustration. Oh, how he wanted to poke that dimple. If only his handsome boyfriend is beside him, instead of being miles away, he could have done that by now.


He pouted even more, his brows furrowed, worry etched in his pretty face.


"What's the matter?"


"Nothing," he quipped, avoiding Yixing's gaze through the screen.


''Myeonnie…" Yixing called out softly. He knows his boyfriend, and he knows when Junmyeon is upset about something. "Tell me, what's bothering you?"


"Kiss cam," he mumbled in response.


Yixing raised his brows and placed his ear nearer to his phone. "Sorry, what was that, baby?"


Jun burrowed his face against the pillow. He felt his face grow hot as his blush crept to his cheeks. It took him several seconds before he could face his screen again. Yixing meanwhile, patiently waited for him.


"I said," he took a deep breath. "What if you appear in the kiss cam?"


Confusion was written all over his boyfriend's face as he tried to process what Myeon said. "What's a kiss cam?"


"Are you serious?" Jun wanted to laugh and cry at the same time, out of frustration and somehow, relief.


"Yeah?" Yixing scratched the side of his head.


"Well, uhh, when you get featured on a kiss cam, you have to kiss the person you are with."


"Huh?" his face became even more confused. "How am I supposed to kiss you when you're in South Korea?"


Junmyeon giggled. Cute. His boyfriend is so cute. God, he wants to fly right now to him, only if he could. Why, of all places, does his boyfriend have to have a talk in the US? Can’t they just do this virtually? He wanted to come with Yixing but his work is a huge pain in the .


"It's like this," he started explaining. The more he told Yixing about the kiss cam, the more his boyfriend's face became confused. His mouth was agape and his forehead was creased.


"But… what if person A doesn't know person B? Do they still have to kiss?"


"I dunno, but on most kiss cams, they do kiss." Junmyeon's eyes narrowed. "You're too handsome, what if they catch you on camera?"


And then Junmyeon could see it.


He could see Yixing’s face show up on the Kiss Cam with that stupid pink and red frame and a dreamy filter with little hearts around it. Yixing, looking unaware while some girl sitting beside him starts blushing and initiates the kiss. Yixing responding to the kiss—


“Baby? Hey.”


“Huh— what?”


“You’re spacing out.”


“Sorry,” he shook his head, trying to remove the cursed images in his head. He could feel his jealousy rising and it is not doing him any better.


“You don’t have to worry Myeonnie, okay?” his boyfriend assured him with that adorable smile and dimples combo. “I highly doubt they’ll even notice me when there’s a lot of other good looking people watching the game.”


“No, you’re the most handsome person on earth. On the universe!” he contested. Yixing laughed heartily.


“Alright, alright!”


Junmyeon heard some noise from Yixing’s end. Yixing meanwhile looked behind him and nodded.


“Baby, we have to go. I’ll talk to you later, okay?”


“Okay, enjoy the game. I’ll also be watching it on TV.” Jun’s eyes narrowed. “I’ll also look for you among the audience.”


That earned another laugh from Yixing. “Take a picture when you see me, okay? I love you.”


“I love you!”


When Yixing finally ended the call, Junmyeon sighed against his pillow. He knows he shouldn’t feel jealous because he trusts Yixing but he just doesn’t trust the people around him. He only has that assurance from his boyfriend to hold on.


According to Yixing, the game starts at around 12 noon in Korea. With more than an hour to spare, Junmyeon started to cook lunch, well, instant ramen. He was busy pouring the contents of the pot into a bowl when he received a message from Yixing. They were at the arena already and were waiting for the game to start. He even sent a selfie wearing the brown varsity jacket Myeonnie got him as a gift for his birthday.


Junmyeon gushed at the picture. Even with his badly damaged, bleached hair, Yixing managed to look this good. It’s no wonder he gets popular wherever he goes.


He padded towards the living room with the hot bowl of ramen in hand. He placed it on the coffee table and grabbed the remote to change the channel to the live NBA game.


He took a picture of the ramen with the TV in the background, sent it to Yixing, and received several heart emojis in response. He exchanged more messages with his boyfriend as his ramen cooled down. Meanwhile, on TV, ads were continuously playing while waiting for the game to start.


‘Gotta go baby, game’s about to start.’ was Yixing’s last message.


Junmyeon sat on the floor and started stirring the ramen with his chopsticks. Half of his attention was on the TV as the announcements were shown. If he remembered correctly, Yixing was rooting for the LA Clippers team. Even though he isn’t a fan of basketball, he tries as much to know about Yixing’s interests.


The game finally started. He has this confused look while slurping the noodles. His eyes followed the ball but he just couldn't understand everything. He just kept track of the scores and saw that the LA Clippers, who were against the LA Lakers, were taking the lead.


The players were good, he admits, but his eyes were trained on the audience, looking for a certain blonde young man wearing a brown jacket. His eyesight must really be bad because no matter how much he stared, he couldn’t find Yixing in the audience.


And then finally, in the middle of the 2nd quarter, after the Clippers got a three-pointer, the camera panned to where Yixing was, beside a group of fans who were celebrating, jumping up and down their seats.


Junmyeon quickly took a snapshot of Yixing’s brief appearance using his phone and sent it to him. He couldn’t stop smiling, seeing Yixing looking so beautiful against the sea of people makes his heart feel full.


His smile didn’t fade even after the game progressed. That was until his fear came true.


Yixing, sitting unaware while smiling at his phone, was shown on the screen with that red frame and heart filter, with the words KISS CAM on the lowest part of the screen. 


And beside him was a girl equally beautiful as him. And she was looking at Yixing with expectant eyes. Yet, his boyfriend seemed unaware of what’s happening because he was busy with his phone, at the same time that Jun’s phone beeped with notifications.


He didn’t bother checking his phone. He couldn’t keep his eyes off the TV. Yixing’s friend, who was sitting beside him, nudged him with his elbow and pointed upwards. Yixing’s eyes followed where his friend was pointing to and they widened, maybe upon seeing himself in a kiss cam.


Without a smile, Yixing looked straight into the camera and reached into the pocket of his jacket. He unfolded a piece of paper and held it right below his face.


Junmyeon pursed his lips as he read what was written on the paper.


‘I have a boyfriend and he is watching right now.’


The camera zoomed into the paper and then panned to Yixing’s smirking face.


Let’s just say that Junmyeon’s phone didn’t stop ringing after that. Yixing became a viral sensation for being a cheesy, loyal boyfriend. And when he finally got back to South Korea, he was rewarded with hugs and kisses by his adorable boyfriend.


The second time Yixing got featured on a kiss cam, he finally indulged the public by kissing the person sitting beside him without hesitation. Of course, he would never hesitate, or Junmyeon would have stayed pouting until the end of the game.