The Whole Truth

I'm Related to MBLAQ???

 

Joon’s POV

Brother? What? What do you mean I have a brother?” Annie blurted out, confused as she glanced back and forth between my father and I. “I have no brother. All my life, I was the only child! You guys said it for yourself!”

“No, you not the only child,” Umma said gently. She looked at me and smiled affectionately. “Joon is really your oppa.”

“This doesn’t make any sense,” she retorted and crossed her arm with a frown upon her face. “And why did Appa call me Yuri?”

“That is your name,” Appa replied matter-of-factly.

“My name is Annie, not Yuri.”

“Maybe we should sit down and you should explain to her what’s going on,” Umma said exasperatedly, turning to look at Appa.

I looked at my father, confusiong flittering across my face. “I want to know, too,” I spoke up. “I want to know why I didn’t know I had a little sister all these years when I kept begging for one — and why you kept it a secret.”

“See! Even he didn’t know!”

“Be quiet, Annelien,” Umma shushed her with a stern look.

Appa sighed wearily. “Let’s sit down,” he said, taking his glasses off and rubbing his forehead. He only does that when he’s annoyed.

Annie seemed to know that because she obediently sat down. Everyone did the same and we waited for either my mother or my dad to tell us the story. When they just kept silent, Annie said impatiently, “Well, what’s going on?”

“Don’t be rude,” Umma murmured.

Annie turned to my — our — dad. “I’m waiting,” she said, ignoring our mother.

He sighed again.

My little sister seemed really confused. Heck, I was confused as well when my dad suddenly announced we were flying down to China to celebrate the birthday my little sister that I did not know I had until now. Why was she kept a secret from me and why was I kept a secret from her?

As we all sat down around the living room, my dad explained to the both of us (he didn’t explain anything to me so I was just as clueless) the real story — why he called her Yuri, and why we didn’t know about each other. Starting from the beginning.

My parents met, they fell in love, they got married and then they had me (they said it just like that — they didn’t go into details, thank goodness. It would’ve taken up about an hour!). Five years later, my little sister was born. On her actual birth certificate, her name is listed as Lee Yuri. During that time, Appa was very well-known and in Seoul, people try to take over each other’s business by asking for arranging marriages with their sons and daughters.

Appa was scared that might happen to my sister (yeah right, it’s more like his company that he cared about, not so much on his own daughter!) so he told Umma to go to China and live with her family and change Yuri’s name to Annelien (or Annie as most people call her) and to take Umma's maiden name (Tan) as her surname.

Then, to make sure that no one will get caught, they didn’t tell Yuri of her true identity because just of an in case the news leaked out, if they tracked Annie down, they wouldn’t be able to get much because she didn’t know about it. They didn’t tell me about it so I wouldn’t accidentally let slipped that I have a little sister as well, protecting Annie.

When he was done with explaining (with Umma helping out bits and bits), Annie — or Yuri now, as we should all call her — was rendered speechless. I was, too, speechless. We looked at each other and then back at our dad.

“Seriously?” Yuri finally said.

Appa nodded.

“But why now?” I asked, breaking the silence. “I mean, aren’t people still trying to cheat from other companies?”

Umma nodded. “Neh,” she replied, “but your father and I decided we had enough of separating our family so we’re going to live together.”

“Wait,” Yuri said, frowning. She looked up. “Does that mean we have to . . . leave?”

“Yes.”

“Shireoyo!” she suddenly shouted and we flinched in surprised. “I am not leaving! I have a life here! You can’t make me leave!”

“Joon is making a career in Korea, so you can’t expect him to pack up and leave,” Appa pointed out and I cringed. Why are you bringing me into this?! She’s going to hate me for that before she even got to know me! “We’re leaving tonight. The sooner, the better. No arguments. End of story.”

“That barely gives me enough time to say goodbye to my friends!”

“You’re not supposed to,” Appa retorted.

Umma and I exchanged glances. Yuri and Appa are so alike, it’s kind of scary.

“Wae?!”

“Because they know Annie Tan but they don’t know Lee Yuri.”

 “That’s not fair! Can’t I at least tell Woo Chul?” she pleaded.

“Yuri, you are seventeen in Korean years. It’s time for you to start acting your age.”

She pouted. “You can’t just expect me to pack up and leave!”

“Well, your clothes are already packed,” Appa told her uncaringly, his Alpha mode setting in. “Umma packed your clothes yesterday while you were out at your friend’s house.”

Yuri’s mouth dropped opened in astonishment. She looked as though she was about to cry. But then she got up and ran out of the living room.

Umma and Appa sighed. They got up and walked to the kitchen. I hesitated, wondering where I should go. I stood up and went to look for my sister. Maybe I can try to get to know her while I was at it, providing that she does not hate me.

I walked up the stairs and heard her sniffles coming from the right. I turned to the room where I heard her and saw her hugging a teddy on the bed. I knocked lightly on the door. “Can I come in?”

She didn’t reply but I entered anyway. I walked to her, sitting gently on the bed. “I’m sorry,” I said lamely. It was the best I could say. I awkwardly put my arms around her. “I don’t know what to say to make you feel better. But I do hope that in time you will get to learn that Korea is a beautiful place.”

She looked up sadly. “My best friend gave me this bear for my birthday today,” she whispered, tears in her eyes. She wiped them away. “We’re not together but we like each other.”

I hugged her and she cried in my chest. “I’m sorry,” I murmured gently. I didn’t like to see her sad. Although I just found out she was my sister, I still felt protective of her. I guess the brotherly affection was something that has always been in me.

“I don’t want to leave,” she sobbed. “I’m scared.”

“I’m here,” I murmured. I kissed her forehead. “I’m here. Uljima.” I looked down at her. “You know, I’ve always wanted a little sister. And now that I actually do, I promise you I’ll take care of you. Arraso?”

She nodded. She sighed. “Now I know why Umma always leave me at Woo Chul’s house while she goes back to Korea. It’s to take care of Appa and you.” She sighed again. “I really hate it whenever Appa makes a decision without asking how we feel about it,” she muttered.

I nodded. “I know what you mean.” I stood up. “Come on. We should go down.”

“I should apologize,” she muttered.

That was what I was thinking about but I didn’t dare say it. I just nodded again. “Yeah, you probably should. Come on.”

The two of us went downstairs where Umma and Appa were still at the kitchen, talking. They looked up when they saw us entering.

“Mianhae, Appa,” Yuri said. “I didn’t mean to yell at you just now. When are we leaving?”

Appa checked his watch. “We’re supposed to leave in about an hour. Why don’t you go wash up and get ready? Then we’ll go.”

She nodded and went back upstairs to bathe while I just relaxed in the living room, listening to music. When she came back down, we were ready to go. Appa drove to the airport, we checked in and soon we were on our way back to Korea.

 

Yuri’s POV

The moment we arrived in Korea, Umma and Appa told us that they had to go somewhere for something like a business meeting or some sort. I held back a sigh. It was so typical of them to just abandon us like that.

“I’ll take her home,” Joon offered. He flagged a taxi and we got home safely.

And then I realized my clothes were in the luggage and it was on the car our parents drove off in. Well, that’s just great.

“I’ll lend you my shirt,” my brother offered when I explained my dilemma to him.

“Thanks,” I replied gratefully. “Um, I’m not really . . . used to Korean customs even though I speak Korean. So calling you Oppa is . . . weird, because in, I just call those who are close to me and older than me just by their names even though they too have their own honorifics to be called.”

Joon shrugged nonchalantly. “Just call me Joon, then. I’m not bothered,” he replied, smiling kindly as he unlocked the door. “When you’re used to it, you can call me Oppa. Don’t feel pressured.”

When we stepped in, I gaped at our house. The first thing I saw was spiral staircase and the chandelier, all in bright lights. There were about ten rooms (I have no idea why we need so many rooms when there is only just the four of us living in the house). The house had three floors (not including the ground floor). The dining room was big. The kitchen was huge. The backyard was big enough for a barbeque party. It was huge, with a TV, a king-sized bed, a big wardrobe, and the toilet was splendid, with a swan-like statue.

He showed me my room and I looked around. He returned later with a shirt to lend me.

“Gomawo.” I bowed, taking the shirt from him. I went to bathe.

It was so strange to be bathing in a very unfamiliar bathroom but there was nothing much I can do about it except to make the most out of it. After all, this is going to be my new home. I might as well get used to it.

When I emerged out of the bathroom, I slipped back on my short black tights I was wearing earlier underneath my dress and then put Joon’s shirt on. It was already late so I decided to go to sleep.

Knock, knock.

“Come in!”

The door opened and Joon came in. “Hey, are you okay? Do you need anything?” he asked.

I shook my head. “I’m okay,” I replied.

He came over to me and studied me for a bit before nodding. “All right. Well, good night then.” He hesitated for a bit before kissing my forehead lightly. He stood up and turned to leave.

 

Joon’s POV

I stood up to let her sleep when Yuri grabbed my hand. Startled, I turned back. “Mmm?”

“Stay . . . please,” she whispered in a small voice, not meeting my eyes.

I softened. She looked so sad and upset. I knew she needed some company that night. She was in a strange and unfamiliar place. I completely understood what she must be feeling now. So I got in bed with her and she snuggled up close to me, clenching her fist in a tight ball, placing it on my chest. I wrapped my arms around her protectively. She is my little sister. I should make her feel better. I looked at her while she slept.

She was so angelic.

I have a sister. And I’m going to protect her always. I’ll be a good big brother to her.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Noooooooooo all my chapters disappeared! T.T