Babysitting

The Fortune Cookie

 

No luck in finding my locket, even though I kept my eyes peeled, constantly looking at the ground to maybe catch a glint of its silver. Later I gave up on it, and decided that I would come up with another good luck charm. What it would be, I did not know.

 

Hyun Soo didn’t come to school all the rest of the week.

 

 I only noticed this because the girls in my gym class pointed out the fact during each day’s class. 

 

“Where did that handsome Oppa go?” They complained for the umpteenth on Thursday. “I want him back!”

 

“Maybe he transferred to another school,” one suggested. “Or maybe he got sick!”

 

“I wonder if he has a girlfriend~”

 

“You know…” once girl said thoughtfully while brushing her hair. “If he doesn’t come in a few days, he’ll have too many unexcused absences, and he’ll be a drop out.”

 

I continued to dress in silence, but it was difficult restraining myself from shouting at them to shut up and mind their own business for once.

 

 I wouldn’t admit it in a million years, but I was curious myself knowing where Hyun Soo was all this time. His family still lived down the street as far as I knew—I could see the lights on at night. But I didn’t run into him on the bus to or from school, and I never saw him on the street. The image of him with his black bag stayed in my mind.

 

“Anger bounces back.”

 

I gritted my teeth and rubbed my bruised elbow. “Shut it, Lee Hyun Soo.” I mumbled to myself and shoved my locker shut, hoping to block out his stupid blank face and piercing eyes. “Go back to your old home.”

 

 

 

Yet again, the next day Hyun Soo didn’t show up to gym class. I tried to think of it as something relieving to me. Now I didn’t have to anticipate him staring me down the whole time.

 

But if what those air-headed girls said was really true…maybe they didn’t know what they were talking about…but let’s just say…he could drop out…then he would get in even more trouble than he already is. I didn’t know why I was so concerned about the issue. It certainly didn’t have anything to do with me. But maybe he didn’t know about that drop out rule...maybe he would come back from whatever he was doing if he knew…there was a little part of me that was unsettled by all this.

 

My day continued as normal, but I felt a depressed pang everything I reached for my neck, and realized that my locket wasn’t there. In retrospective, it was silly. But in that moment, I needed that necklace. It made feel like a somebody even if I wasn’t. It was going to be a painful habit to break.

 

After school, I walked through the front door of the house tired, even though I had the weekend to look forward to.

 

“Hey, mom.”

 

“Hey, honey. How was school.” She asked while concentrating on chopping carrots in the kitchen.

 

“Fine, how was your day?” I asked, throwing my backpack on a chair. I was surprised when I saw a little girl sitting across from me, coloring. I stared at her a little, then rummaged through the fridge.

 

“Who is that girl?” I whispered to my mom in the kitchen.

 

“Do you remember the Lees, who moved in last week? They have a son your age, is that right?”

 

I paused, Hyun Soo’s smirk popping in my head. “Yes….”

 

“Well, Mr. and Mrs. Lee are both at work until late tonight, and their son is busy, so we’re babysitting their daughter Hyeri. Will you take her in your room to do your homework together?”

 

“Huh? Hyun Soo has a sister?” I said, surprised. Of course he hadn’t told me himself or anything, but I didn’t see a little girl the day they moved in…

 

“Yes. So, Hyun Soo is his name? Do you see him at school? Make sure you’re nice, ok? It’s hard being the new kid.” Mom nodded at me seriously.

 

“Huh,” I scoffed, picking up my bag again. “If he would even show up.” I glanced at the kitchen table where the little girl sat. She looked to be about 5 or 6, and had long dark hair, the sides tied up in the back with a dark pink bow.

 

“Hyeri-ah?” I asked politely. “Do you want to come and color in my room?”

 

She turned to look at me, and I was taken aback by the heavy stare in her eyes, too much like her brothers.

 

 She learned that from him, I concluded.

 

Hyeri didn’t respond, but picked up her things, and followed me to my room.

 

I shut the door, and pointed to my dresser. “You can sit there and color, ok?”

 

She did what she was told but a mute, just like her brother. I wonder if their whole family sits in complete silence at dinner. How awkward that must be to have it so quiet that you can hear a pen drop all the time.

 

“Do…do you need anything?” I asked tentatively. Even though she was small, she was so much like her brother that she was slightly intimidating. I wonder if they get their deep eyes from their mom or their dad…

 

Hyeri shook her head, bent over her coloring.

 

I nodded slowly. “Ok, then….well, I’ll just…be right here…doing math if you…need anything.”

 

No response. I might as well be talking to a wall.

 

I sat down, organizing my homework. Some calculus problems were due tomorrow, but my head was swimming with questions to ask Hyeri about Hyun Soo.

 

He was “busy”…doing what? So busy that it takes him a whole day to do whatever he’s doing and miss school…I wonder if his family knows that he’s not in school.

 

I mean, it’s not like my curiosity matters, or anything….but, we’re neighbors after all, and I have the right to know why I’m babysitting this kid in the first place, right?

 

“Where is your brother today?” I finally asked Hyeri lightly, staring at a math problem. “He wasn’t in class today, either.”

 

“I don’t know.” Hyeri spoke. “I was asleep before he came home last night.”

 

“Oh.” I said, recalling the bus incident from a few nights ago. “Yeah, I ran into him on the bus once before…”

 

Speaking of that, what was he doing, coming home so late? Partying? Vandalizing? Drugs? Then I remembered that giant black bag slung over his shoulder. If his sister doesn’t even know where he goes…

 

That can’t be anything good.

 

“You don’t know where he is during or after school?” I asked.

 

Hyeri shook her head, and spoke on her own. “Do you like Pororo?” She suddenly asked.

 

“Pororo? Yeah, I do. He was my favorite when I was your age.” I said, turning around in my desk chair smiling. “Do you want to watch some with me after dinner?”

 

She gave a crooked, awkward smile. “Yes.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

I put my questions aside for the rest of the evening and instead watched 10 episodes of Pororo with Hyeri until she fell asleep. 

 

It wasn’t until hours later when I checked the clock—10:30, and still no sign of a returning Hyun Soo or his parents. Mom told me that his parents worked night shift hours at an oldie’s club, and that they always came home at the early hours in the morning. But Hyun Soo is a perfectly healthy kid—who was obviously not involved in school activities or study groups—so where was he?

 

 Before us watching over Hyeri, what did she do all day? Stay home alone? I looked down at her tiny sleeping figure in my arms. Throughout the evening, I observed her, realizing that she was a sweet girl. Thankfully, the only thing she had in common with her brother was her looks. I felt a kind of pang of anger towards Hyun Soo. His parents’ situation was understandable, but he was truly being selfish by not being there for his sister.

 

 I brushed her hair from her eyes, and yawned. I was starting to get really irritated. Even if I don’t have school tomorrow I want to go to bed, I thought, staring at the clock, now reading 11. My eyes starting closing, head shifting between reality and dreamless sleep.

 

Suddenly, I heard urgent rapping at the front door. I woke with a start and rose quickly, careful not to wake Hyeri. I slowly opened the door to see Hyun Soo, who was panting hard, hands on his knees. He adjusted his mysterious black bag and bowed, not realizing it was me at the door.

 

“I’m very sorry I’m so late.” He rushed his words formally. He came straight in without even taking off his shoes and gently picked up his sister without another word, leaving out the door.

 

He didn’t even give me enough time to stop and think about the many questions to ask.

 

“Hey!” I followed him out on the dark, empty street. “Lee Hyun Soo!” I shouted. My sleeping head suddenly cleared.

 

He stopped, and turned to face me. The streetlamps illuminated his face, revealing several cuts, bruises, and a busted lip.  His hair was dirty and disheveled. That combined with his icy stare made him look like a true street rat.

 

I was shocked by his sudden rough appearance, and forgot what I was going to say.

 

 “You…why are you coming home so late!” That sounded lame, like I was his nagging mother, in comparison to commenting on his more obvious appearance.

 

He shocked me again when he bowed slightly.

 

“I’m sorry for the inconvenience.” He said formally, but still in his trademark short tone.

 

I came towards him, getting a better look at his roughened face.  “Why weren’t you at school?” I asked, not sure if my attitude should be demanding or gentle.

 

He side-smirked me, slowly blinking. “Why does it matter to you whether I’m in school or not?” He drawled.

 

I ignored him, trying to keep my voice straight from stammering. “D-did you know about the enrollment rule? That if you’re absent for more than a week that you are considered a drop out?”

 

“Who are you to worry about me and tell me how to live my life, ah?”  His voice rose despite holding his sleeping sister.

 

I stopped, not even sure how to answer that question myself. I opened my mouth to protest, but then pushed that issue aside. “ You don’t have to get mad at me! Look. All I’m saying is—“

 

“ out. You don’t know my situation, so I don’t need your mindless input.” He turned and walked down the street with his sister in his arms.

 

My mouth dropped open.  Is this guy for real? All he’s ever done to me is be rude, and I’ve never even officially met him before! He doesn’t even know my name! Lack of sleep and bottled up emotions over the last week let loose.

 

 I clenched my fists at my side, hollering at the top of my lungs.

 

“Yah! Who do you think you are, uh?! I don’t need to know your situation to know that you don’t take any responsibility or care about anything but yourself! It’s only been a week, and you’ve already given up on school? Grow up and stop acting like you own the world! You carry yourself around with so much pride, but you have nothing to be proud of! Take care of Hyeri, and help your family--!”

 

I stopped because my mouth was ahead of my brain, and I started to realize how harsh my words sounded. I bit my lip hard, furrowing my eyebrows. I didn’t know where I was going with what I was saying, but saying all that nonsense made me feel better. 

 

Hyun Soo turned to his head at me, glowering at me.

 

His voice was quiet but deadly, and he enunciated every word with slow force.

 

 “If I had a cent for every time I heard someone tell me that… I wouldn’t have to work double-shifts to support my family and help buy my guitar.”

 

 

 

 

 

thanks for reading/supporting~!!! leave your thoughts below :) <3333