Fortune Cookie

The Fortune Cookie

 

Fortune cookie

 

 

“Mom, put in some noodles!”

 

“No, Lia! There’s no more room!” My mom shook the already bursting carton of Chinese food in my face. “Look! Full!”

 

“Make some space, please?” I prodded her, now staring down at the greasy yellow noodles. “They’re calling out to me: eat me, eat me~ I only want a few.” I assured her.

 

My brother and dad were out, so it was me and mom alone to fend dinner for ourselves…which usually meant a trip down to PekingGardenfor the 1-carton buffet special.

 

Mom finally reluctantly lifted a tongful of steaming noodles on top of the dumplings.

 

“There. Happy?” She squeezed the Styrofoam lid shut.

 

“Yes~ thank you!”

 

 

“Want to rent a movie?” Mom asked, turning into a movie rental store’s parking lot.

 

I put in my earbuds, turning up the volume on my music. “eh, I guess.”

 

“Calm your enthusiasm, child.” She said sarcastically, rolling her eyes. “I’ll be back.” She shut the car door, leaving me in silence with the carton of food.

 

I stared down at it in my lap. “Looks like it’s just you and me, buddy~” I peered in the bag, and looked out the window. “She wouldn’t notice if I just took one bite…” I was about to open the lid when I saw the fortune cookie, wrapped up in plastic. I ignored the food and decided to eat the cookie instead. I broke it in half, when my mom rapped on the car door, making me jump.

 

“Whoa!” I opened the door, and tried to hastily hide the cookie, but no luck.

 

“What do you think you’re doing missy?” She started the car again, and we were finally driving home.

 

I ignored her, and offered her half of my cookie as an alternative. “Here.”

 

I placed the piece in her open hand, and ate my own, reading the fortune aloud.

 

“Soon you will have the luck of stumbling upon a mysterious stranger who has potential to change your life.”

 

My mom scoffed. “Oh really, now, fortune? That’s just about as clear as muddy water, that statement.”

 

I stared down at the tiny red writing on the white paper, and folded it into my pocket, now staring out the window. Even though it was night time, the streets were still wet from the leftover storm that came through. Dark clouds spotted the sky, and the air was nice now.

 

“I don’t know, mom.” I said. “You neve know when things could happen.”

 

 

Hands full, we made our way down the blacktop hill to our little house, one of the few in a neighborhood made of up apartments. Most of the houses had small cars parked on the side of the narrow street, but tonight was odd. The streetlamp put a spotlight on a square moving van was parked across the street from our house.

 

“Oh, new neighbors?” My mom said, fitting the key in the front door. It clicked and we the lights, shuffling to the kitchen. She set down the food, and walked outside again.

 

“Mom~” I groaned. “I’m eating without you!” I called out, grabbing a plate and spoon, ready to dig in.

 

Neighbors will be around for a long time, what’s the rush?

 

Nonetheless, once I filled my plate, I walked outside with my flip-flops scuffling down towards the moving van and my mom. I could see a few people hunched over, moving boxes from the truck up to the apartment building. I came closer, slurping my fat noodles.

 

“Mom~” I said to her, mouth full, as we came closer. “Just let them do their own thing. I’m sure they’re busy enough--”

 

My words were cut off, as someone came out suddenly from behind the truck.

 

A thin boy with dark brown hair in a gray jacket and plain jeans with a box in his hands stopped when he saw me.  I felt like time had stopped.

 

That was one good-looking guy.

 

I was too distracted by my abrupt running into this boy that I felt noodles drop out of my mouth, and to my horror, I started choking. There is no end to my stupidity, I thought desperately.

 

 I could feel my face turning red. I tried to regain my composure, but that wasn’t working out too well.

 

His gray eyes were sharp and intense, his icy stare made me stop in my tracks. He blinked slowly, and a strange smirk came on his face, showing a side-dimple.

 

I could hear the boy scoff lightly, and move past me with his box.

 

“Don’t die.”

 

I stayed petrified still, noodles hanging out of my mouth.

...........

 

 

Did that really just happen?

 

 

 

 

“Soon you will have the luck of stumbling upon a mysterious stranger who has potential to change your life.”

 

thanks for reading~! <3 let me know what you think ;D