Chapter 3 (Final)

Winning Her Heart

“Okay, I wrote down the chorus and some of verse one,” you said and gave him the paper where you wrote your lyrics. It’s been a about a week and you can see MinHyuk proving himself. You never saw him with any other girl and you can hear them talking about it. Next week is the start of winter break.

“This is good. I think this part, let write down Instead of saying thank you, talk to me in a friendlier way. I think that’s better,” he said. You thought about it and nodded. You erased your original sentence and replaced it with his. “It’s great so far. See, you are great with lyric writing.”

“Th-Thank you,” you shyly said. You’re not really one to take compliments that much. “Is this the real MinHyuk sunbae?” MinHyuk lightly laughed and nodded. “Good. I like this sunbae. Now keep playing.”

“You’re so bossy,” he muttered. You smiled in triumph and continued on the lyrics. “Okay, so the song is going to be like this.” MinHyuk played the chorus and started singing. It was the first time you heard him sing and he caught you by surprise. MinHyuk stopped and looked at you with a smile. “It works together. What do you think?”

“I-I-It’s great,” you answered and then cleared your throat. “I’ll work on the first verse more.” MinHyuk nodded and started to play around a bit. He smiled and turned back to you.

“Next Saturday is the winter festival. Come with me there.” You looked at him, slightly shocked.

“I’ll see,” you said quietly. MinHyuk sighed and frowned, wishing he heard a better answer. But when he looked at you, he smiled and nodded.

Yukwon passed by the family room to see you on the couch with the TV on mute. He raised an eyebrow at your odd behavior and walked over to you.

“_______-ah, what’s wrong?” he asked as he sat down. You sat up and crossed your legs. You shook your head. “Don’t lie to me. You can tell me anything.”

“W-Well…” you started off. “I…MinHyuk sunbae basically asked me out to the winter festival last week. And it’s tomorrow.”

“Do you want to go?” Yukwon asked curiously.

“I do, yet I don’t,” you answered.

“Well?”

“I don’t know.”

“Do you like him? Kyung told me everything what’s been happening between you two. MinHyuk is a good guy,” Yukwon said.

“I know he is. I really like him. And he’s able to prove it, but…I just don’t want to get hurt again,” you answered. Yukwon hugged you tightly.

“Screw that JongHyun guy, alright. I already knew he was bad when I first saw him. MinHyuk proved it to you and even to me. Go for it. Give him a chance.” You smiled and nodded. You hugged Yukwon and whispered a thank you.

“I’m gonna go out for a bit,” you said.

“Okay! Don’t be out so late!”

“Araso!” You started to walk around the big city. You smiled and wondered on what would happen tomorrow. You took out your phone to contact, but your eyes widened. “Of course I wouldn’t have his number.” Sadly, you sighed and put your phone away. ‘Maybe I’ll just go there alone?’

“______-ah! What are you doing out here by yourself?” You turned around to see JaeHyo running towards you. You smiled and waved to him.

“I just wanted to walk,” you answered. The two of you started to walk around together. He nodded and smiled. “Last week, MinHyuk sunbae asked me to go the winter festival. He kept pestering me about, but I never gave him a direct answer. And now I have an answer and I can’t contact him because I don’t have his number. Should I just show up?”

“Oh, so you are going?” he questioned. You nodded which made him smile. “Just go there!” He stood behind you and placed his hands on your shoulders. “Picture this. You’re waiting for him patiently. You and MinHyuk are scrambling around the festival searching for each other. I mean, it’s crazy! Once one you guys leave the area, the other just arrives. From there, you were going to leave and by chance, MinHyuk sees you. He chuckles and says ‘You weren’t about to leave without me, weren’t you?’ and your eyes widened and you turn around to see him. You two run into each other’s arms and kiss passionately under the moonlit sky!”

“You watch too many dramas, oppa. I’m not even certain if I should be with him.”

“So you’re already thinking about being with him, huh?”

“Shut up,” you muttered. JaeHyo sighed and rested his arm on your shoulders.

“Look, just because JongHyun hurt you doesn’t mean MinHyuk will do the same. He is one of my good friends and trust me, he’s crazy about you. He’s just like his father, being the flirtatious player. You know how he was in high school. Sometime before graduation, he did date girls less and less. And right now, he hasn’t been with anyone and for him, it’s really impressive,” JaeHyo explained. You looked at him.

“You think so?” you asked.

“I know so.”

By the next night, you stood there alone outside in the festival. Your brother, JaeHyo, and Kyung started to do their own thing while you hugged yourself warm and watched the tiny snowflakes fall. You smiled as the snow lightly fell.

‘Once one person leaves the area, the other just arrives,’ JaeHyo’s little speech repeated in your mind.

“Stupid oppa having that engraved in my mind,” you muttered. You stuffed your hands in your pocket and started to around. After about half an hour of walking, you decided to go by the water. You sat down on the cold, slightly wet grass, and stared up at the sky. “I mean, he is a good guy. That idiot had always won my heart since he left high school. It’s just easy to block him out because of JongHyun. I like that he annoys me, sadly. I love that he’s always concerned with me, in his own way. And he’s so passionate about music. Such a turn on.” You sighed sadly and hugged your knees to keep yourself warm. “I should’ve answered him sooner.”

“Yeah, you should’ve.” You jumped and turned around. You stared at MinHyuk’s figure standing there with a gentle smile on his face. You stood up and ran to him.

“Y-You’re here,” you said once you stood close in front of him. He chuckled and nodded.

“Yeah, I’m here,” he said and then sighed. “I ended up coming here, hoping you would be here. And I couldn’t find you so I walked around. If I wasn’t so frantic about looking for you, maybe I would’ve magically appeared.” You blushed and nodded in agreement. “You know, I always liked you in high school. I just hated that you were with that guy. And when he hurt you, I went up to him and beat him up.” Your eyes widened.

“That’s why he got all banged up the day after?!” you exclaimed. MinHyuk laughed with a nod.

“He deserves to feel some sort of pain,” he said. “And now knowing you were a free woman, I had to try and get your attention. But you were just so distant. Whenever you walk away, I just go on dates with other girls.” You scoffed at the last comment and turn your face away from him. MinHyuk gently held your face so you would look at him. “If you said that I need to prove it to you, I will. I’m pretty sure I did.”

“You really did, sunbae.”

“And I know you call me sunbae to piss me off.” You laughed. “However, I still love you. I always had.” You looked at him with big, curious eyes. “I’m not lying.”

“I know that you’re not,” you whispered. Slowly, you two leaned closer to each other.

“You really believe me?” he asked.

“I could always tell when you’re lying,” you said with a big smile on your face. “I love you, too, oppa.” A wide smile appeared on his face. Gently, he kissed you and you smiled through the kiss. You hugged him tightly.

“Finally, I get an ‘oppa’ and an ‘I love you’ from you. Can this day get any better?” You giggled and held his hand. “C’mon, let’s start our date.”