Chapter 2

Winning Her Heart

It was after school and since you were free, you asked MinHyuk if he can work on the project. You two ended up in the café that MinHyuk suggested to work in. It was a nice, serene café. You loved it.

“This is my favorite place to go,” he said. You nodded and looked around the simple yet elegant place. “Go sit, I’ll order us tea.”

“Thank you, sunbae,” you said happily. You love tea. So why refuse? Even if it’s from the person who loves to pester and annoy you. While waiting, you took out your notebook and pencil. Soon, he returned with two cups of hot tea and a pastry. “Thank you so much, sunbae.”

“Oppa,” he whined.

“Sunbae,” you said sternly and blew on the hot tea before taking a small sip. You felt refreshed and content now. ‘He really isn’t so bad,’ you thought.

“How about we have some fun after this, huh?” he asked slyly with a smirk on his face. You made a face and stomp his foot under the table. He yelped at sharp pain. ‘Never mind,’ you thought as you sipped your tea more. “Gosh, that hurts. Okay, okay. So, I’ll compose the music and you can make the lyrics for the song.” You looked up at him.

“You compose?” you asked. He simply nodded. “You? Making music?” He nodded again.

“I do use the studio from time to time,” he added. “I play the piano. There is a reason why I took this class.”

“Then why am I writing the lyrics?” you asked curiously.

“Because you’re good at it.” A gave him a small and shy smile.

“Thank you,” you said softly. “Okay, then a happy love song?” MinHyuk nodded.

“I have something in mind.” You looked at him and awed at the sight you never saw from him. You can tell how serious and passionate he became. MinHyuk then looked at you and smiled. “Should we separate for the day? I have a date.”  You rolled your eyes.

“Of course you do,” you muttered and gathered your things. MinHyuk smirked and stood up.

“Jealous, I see?” he questioned. You scoffed at him.

“In your dreams, sunbae,” you said. “I’ll see you around.”

“Wait, ______,” he called. You turned around, waiting for him to continue. “Tomorrow’s Saturday. We should hang out.”

“I can’t. I’m going to the studio with JiHo and Kyung oppas. “I’ll see you in school.” Once you left, MinHyuk groaned and sat back down.

“Freaking JiHo and Kyung.”

You sat down at your desk, writing and erasing. Writing and erasing. Writing and erasing. MinHyuk sighed and turned to you.

“You are going to burn a hole in your paper if you keep doing that,” he said. You glared at him and continued to erase. “What are you doing anyway?”

“Writing lyrics.”

“You can’t write lyrics if…”

“Not for the project. It’s for JiHo and Kyung oppa,” you answered. MinHyuk made a face without you noticing. “Did you start on the song?” Your eyes were glued to the paper.

“Not yet. I had no time,” he answered. You scoffed.

“Busy going out with all of the girls in Seoul, I bet.” MinHyuk just laughed and stood up once the professor dismissed them.

“Funny,” he commented. “Come on, school’s over. Let’s go work on it.”

“You need to work on it so I can get the lyrics…”

“Just follow me.”

“You sighed and followed. You two walked up to the third floor of the building where all the music classes take place. MinHyuk entered an empty room and sat down by the piano.  You closed the door and stood beside it, watching him take out his manuscript notebook. He then started to play. Your eyes slightly widened. You never knew he could play the piano so well.

“Wow,” you said breathlessly. MinHyuk smiled and patted a seat next to him. You smiled and sat down. MinHyuk started to play again, except, you can tell he was playing randomly. You can soon hear a little bit of a song.

“I want this song to be about a guy who has feelings for the girl,” he said as he wrote down the chords. You nodded as you watched him. ‘He’s so different,’ you thought. “You don’t seem to hate me now.”

“You’re really focused,” sunbae,” you said. He quietly hissed.

“You should really call me oppa, you know.”

“I prefer sunbae.” You heard him sigh again. He put his pen down and turned to you. MinHyuk slowly leaned in closer to you.

“To tell you the truth, I really like you,” he confessed. You can feel your heartbeat as if it was going to pop out of your chest. You were pretty sure that your face was beat red. MinHyuk was slowly leaning closer that his lips were so close to ours. One more centimeter and he kisses you. You quickly stood up, causing MinHyuk to back away and look at you. You frowned deeply at him.

“I’m not like those girls who you’re always with,” you said.

“I know that. That’s why I like you,” he said with some frustration. “You never seem interested I me. I like annoying you because I like your attention. I like how get annoyed by me because I get a reaction from you. However, I want you to like me,” he explained. You scoffed and placed your hands on your hips. You smirked.

“Prove it,” you said. MinHyuk looked at you puzzled. You sighed at him. “Prove that you like me. Show it. Quit playing around with girls every day. You’re constantly going on dates and kissing them. You think I really want to kiss after you kissed so and so right before? Yeah, not going to happen. Lee MinHyuk, I want you to prove that you like me.” Without hesitation, he nodded.

“I’ll prove it,” he said. “I’ll prove to you Kim _______ that I will win your heart.” He smirked and you sighed.

“You always look so cocky,” you said and sat back down. “Now play.” MinHyuk chuckled and played again. You couldn’t help but watch. You enjoy spending time with him like this. ‘Yeah, I won’t deny that.’

It’s been a few hours since you two were working on the project. You leaned forwards and play a few notes.

“How about we do that?” MinHyuk nodded and wrote that down. He then started to play the ones he wrote down. You smiled. “I like it.”

“Good. That’s going to the chorus,” he said. You nodded and checked the time. Your eyes widened when it read 6:15PM. You saw the five missed calls from your brother. You cursed under your breath and stood up abruptly. MinHyuk looked at you.

“It’s pretty late and oppa called me a few times. I need to head home,” you said.

“I’ll give you a ride,” MinHyuk said and took his notebook and backpack. “Just let me head to my locker.” You nodded and followed him. While waiting for him at his locker, you called Yukwon and told him how you and MinHyuk were held up on the project and that you were heading home right now. You hung up and MinHyuk closed his locker. He nodded that he was ready to head out. Your eyes widened when you saw him walk towards the motorcycle.

“You ride that?!” you exclaimed.

“Always had,” he answered and hopped on the motorcycle. He handed you his and you hesitantly took it. “Safety first, princess. Hold on tightly around my waist so you won’t fall off.” You nodded and slowly sat down. You held on tight to the sides of his jacket. MinHyuk the engine. “Don’t say I didn’t warn you.” And then he took off. You shrieked once he did and felt more anxious as he drove faster. “Put your arms around my waist!”

“O-Okay!” you answered and did. Your grip tightened a bit and you rested your head on his back.

“Don’t worry! Nothing’s going to happen!” MinHyuk yelled with reassurance. He felt your nod and smiled. He felt trusted.