Given?

The Rose on My Porch
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

SEUL opened her eyes and found herself in what seems to be a school. She then felt something in her hand and found a long, white string of cloth when she looked at it. Not knowing what the cloth was for, Seul made her way around the said area. She let out a loud gasp when she saw the first human in that place. The person had no face at all. What scared her even more is that the man without a face just went past her. He didn't seem like he saw her at all.

"Where is this place?" Seul asked herself as she continued looking around. "This surely isn't the real world. Where am I?"

She continued walking and saw kids with no faces walking out of the said school. She could hear their chatters but none of it made sense to her. The only thing she is sure of is that she's in a primary school somewhere.

"A-Am I in her memories?" Seul asked herself once more. "Am I seeing her memories?"

Seul then passed by a huge mirror and found herself in the same uniform and appearance when she first saw herself. She was in her middle school uniform with her long, black hair flowing freely. "Is this a dream? Am I really dreaming?"

Seul let out another gasp when she saw a girl pass by behind her in the mirror. What surprised her was the said little girl was the only one with a face in that world.

Seul hurriedly went after the girl as she found her face really familiar. She has a short bob cut and choppy bangs. The said little girl stopped in front of the nurse's office and there Seul found out she was holding something in her hand—a lifeless little bird.

The nurse, though having no face at all, showed how surprised she was when the little girl presented the bird to her.

"Seulgi-yang... W-What happened, little one?" The nurse called the girl which made Seul look at the girl once more.

"So you are her...?" Seul murmured as she followed her inside the office.

"The baby bird…" Little Seulgi looked at the lifeless bird in her hands. "I think it was killed by its parents."

The nurse asked her to come nearer to have a better look at the bird. "Did you take it out of the cage?"

The kid nodded. "I usually hear it chirp when I go there. Lately, its chirps stopped so I got really curious and looked at the cage."

"Poor little chick." The nurse sighed. "Do you want me to bury it with you? That's why you brought it to me?"

Little Seulgi shook her head. "I can do that on my own."

The nurse then tilted her head to the side. "Then what made you come here, little one?"

"I'm just really curious." Little Seulgi looked at the teacher. Seul immediately noticed how lifeless her eyes are. "Why are lovebirds called lovebirds if they kill their baby like this?"

The nurse was about to place her palm on the little kid's head but Seulgi moved away.

"If you aren't going to pay then you can't touch me."

"P-Pay what?" The nurse asked in confusion. The observer could only clench her jaw as she's aware what that statement meant. "Anyway, about your question."

The nurse started talking about the reasons why lovebirds kill their offsprings.

It could be because the baby is weak in the first place that the parents think it would be better to kill it than have it suffer. It could also be because the pair are first time parents and they could've accidentally killed it. But one reason really caught the little one's attention.

"They are preparing for a new baby?" Little Seulgi repeated.

The nurse nodded. "As far as I know, they might kill their babies if there's not enough space for new eggs."

Seulgi looked back at the dead chick again. "It was killed because of new babies...?"

"W-We're not sure about it anyway." The nurse tried to cheer Seulgi up by raising her tone a bit. "Come on, let's go bury this baby bird."

The teacher took the bird from Seulgi's hands and went out of the office. Little Seulgi was about to follow her but she stopped right in front of Seul as if she could see her.

Seul gulped audibly when the little kid stared right in her eyes. The kid’s gaze then travelled to the cloth she was holding.

“It was removed, huh?” The kid looked back at Seul with those lifeless eyes. “Your blindfold.”

 

 

 


 

“IS she still angry at me?”

Yerim’s question took Irene aback. The moment the girl arrived, Seulgi immediately went back to her room and locked her door again. Irene sat beside her and gave her soft pats at the back.

“She’s not angry at you. I believe she’s just a little bit confused after everything that’s happened.” Irene gave Yerim an assuring smile. “She also hasn’t come back since that day. I think that’s another alter. Don’t let it get into you.”

The younger girl nodded. “I’m just really worried about Seulgi-unnie. What if it’s true that she would disappear after meeting our mother just like what Joy-unnie said?”

Irene fell silent for a moment. They are already aware of that possibility but she still holds onto what Sori said about finding Gi. The fact that the other alters are resurfacing also proves that she’s still somewhere in there. Gi once emphasised that once she disappears, only Seul will be left.

“She’s there.” Irene smiled again. “She also promised me that she will stay with me. I believe she isn’t the type that breaks her promise.”

“That’s true.” Yerim’s fists clenched. “Seulgi-unnie isn’t that kind of person despite growing up in such a household.”

Irene invited Bambi up the couch and the little dog immediately jumped into her lap. “About your mother… How is she doing lately?”

A tired sigh came out of Yerim. “Still the same. She’s still against me meeting Seulgi-unnie but my daddy is controlling things now. For the longest time, she’s been controlling our household but daddy finally found the courage to go against her.”

“I’m sorry to say this but that woman is really something.” Irene leaned back on the couch while giving Bambi some good pats. “I still can’t understand how she is able to do such things to Gi. I believe she isn’t clueless of everything that her daughter has gone through.”

“Of course, I told her everything. Even when she didn’t cooperate during the trial, I told her everything that Seulgi-unnie told me.” Yerim’s frown couldn’t be flattened at all. “She’s really selfish. She even saw it as opportunity to solidify her claims about Seulgi-unnie’s father her when it was only a lie that she made herself believe so that she can leave him.”

Yerim shook her head while rolling her eyes. “My daddy didn’t know that she was married when she was dating him, you know? I am really ashamed of this story of hers.”

Irene pressed her lips together. She could already imagine how Joy would react if she heard that revelation from Yerim.

"Yerim-ah, if you want you can go eat first. Officer Joy and Wendy-ssi will be here in about an hour."

"It's okay." Yerim shook her head. "I want to eat with them. This Wendy person might know a way to bring my sister out of that hole."

Yerim also gave Bambi some head ruffles which the little dog really appreciated.

"I want to eat with my sister too..."

Irene turned towards Gi's room. "Don't worry, Yerimie. She'll come out when it's time to eat. It might not be your sister though but I am sure she will come out."

The owner of the house then stood up. She suddenly remembered the important mail that she was writing. "Excuse me for a while, I'll just look at some important stuff. I'll be back soon. Please play with our Bambi while I am upstairs."

Yerim gave Irene an affirmative nod. "It should be me that's saying sorry, Unnie."

"What do you mean?" Irene asked with a striking smile before walking away. Yerim just watched her with a heart overflowing with something.

"U-Unnie!"

Irene immediately turned back when she heard that call from Yerim. "Yes?"

"T-Thank you!" Yerim gave her a deep bow. "Thank you for caring like this to my sister."

"There's really nothing to be thankful for." Irene answered with a smile. "I am just doing my part as her lover. Caring for her is a given."

That's all and Irene entered her room. Yerim was left astounded.

"I-Irene-unnie has romantic feelings towards my sister!? D-Did I miss the tutorial or anything?"


 

 

 

 

WENDY and Joy arrived at Irene’s house with Wendy carrying a box of vitamins for Irene. The latter was taken aback with the choice of gift but received it with a smile.

“It’s nice to finally see you in person and not on screen, Miss Wendy.” Irene greeted. Little Bambi was doing his happy dances, asking the new face some of her attention.

“Same here, Miss Irene. I will appreciate it more if you just call me Wendy.”

That suggestion actually made Joy sigh. “Please just call with her name, Irene-unnie. She’s been talking about it in the car. She’s so envious of me calling you unnie.”

A chuckle automatically came out of Irene. “I don’t see any reason to be envious though.”

“I’ll also call you unnie from now on so I can touch my Koren roots at the very least.”

Wendy nodded to her own statement. It seems like no one could stop her once she’s already made a decision. The said blonde then turned to Yerim.

“It’s nice to finally meet you, Miss Yerim.” Wendy put her hand forward. “I am Wendy Shon.”

Yerim hesitantly shook her hand. “Nice to meet you too. I am indeed Yerim but I am better known as Katy Kim here. Thank you for taking care of my sister.”

“There’s no need to thank me. Though Seulgi-ssi’s case is really one hell of a ride, it’s our pleasure to be able to help people with similar disorders.”

“Let’s go talk over things while eating. I believe you’re already hungry after your trip.” Irene said with a warm smile. “I prepared good food for everyone. Let me just call Gi.”

Irene headed towards Gi’s room but she wasn’t even able to knock when the door slowly opened. Seulgi’s head slowly popped out of the gap the door made. She was looking all shy and anxious, looking at everyone who was in that place. Her eyes then lit up when she saw a familiar face.

“Sooyoung-unnie!”

Seulgi leaped out of her room and ran straight to Joy and gave her the biggest hug she could ever give.

“Sooyoung-unnie!” The alter called out again and there’s no mistake in it, the said alter is another child. “Unnie!”

Surprised, Joy slowly looked at the face of the alter as if it would even help her but the sparkles in those eyes didn't tell any lie. “H-Hani?”

The said alter cheerfully nodded her head before giving Joy another hug, pressing her cheeks to the other girl’s. “Hani really missed you!”

Wendy then turned to Irene and secretly observed the other girl’s reaction. Irene did look surprised but to see a smile on her face was something that made Wendy confused. The body of her lover just jumped into someone and was being too clingy to a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter