First Encounter

It's Us, Together

Eunjung woke up and her eyes caught a different ceiling. She smiled in her sleepy face. I'm in Seoul now, in my own apartment. The girl who loved sleeping more than anything else, for the first time ever, didn't feel like sleeping anymore. She got up and made her bed.

She rushed to bathroom and took a shower. It was still an hour left but she was already too excited that she moved quickly. She finished on 6.15 AM. She looked at herself in the mirror. She turned around few times, making sure that she looked good--as usual. For the last touch, she took her perfume and sprayed it on her neck and clothes. Feeling ready, she grabbed her bag and walked out.

 

--at the university--

 

Eunjung stood before the grandious gate of Allegro. Instead of going in, she kept looking at the gate. Everything still felt like a dream to her. Her heart was thumping when she finally walked in. The morning breeze touched her hair. She admired the beautiful flowers and garden in front of the main entrance.

She found a big touch-screen LCD by the time she reached the lobby. It was a navigator for the students. Allegro had three buildings, and each of it was huge. People got lost often, especially the new students. That day, the freshmen was told to gather at the auditorium for welcome speech from the president of Allegro.

Eunjung used the navigator to locate the auditorium and went there. There were already many people there when she entered. She looked for a seat in the third row and immediately sat there when she found one. This was the best spot! She told herself. She looked at her watch. It was still ten minutes more, so she took her cell phone and played a game.

Ten minutes passed, the lights were slowly dimmed. Eunjung stopped the game and put her cell phone in her pocket. A man showed up on the stage. It was none other than the president, Mr. Kwon Dong Gun.

"Welcome, new students of Allegro. Congratulations, you have been chosen from thousands of applicants. You are here because you deserve it and I hope you will always give your best in everything," the president spoke with authority yet still charismatic.

"Let me introduce you to your teachers. They are the best in their field. Mr. Lee Jong Hyun, please do introduce yourself," the president asked the teacher beside him to start. You could tell from his looks that he was a pure artist--or musician.

"Hello, guys. I'm Lee Jong Hyun. I'll be teaching musical instruments. Actually I don't like the word 'teaching', it's not like I'm better than you. I just knew these things first, that's all. I hope we can have more fun in class." His introduction made the students laughed.

Right after him, there was Ms. Kang Jong Hee who taught dance lesson, especially ballet and latin dance. She would be teaching along with her partner, Mr. Jung Min Ho, the b-boy master. Senior actress Ms. Kim Yo Won and senior actor Mr. Choi Seung Ho would be teaching acting class. As for singing, Allegro provided four teachers with remarkable backgrounds. They were Ms. Han Eun Jae and Mr. Park Yeon Soo for vocal technique; Ms. Lee Tae Hee and Mr. Kim Chang Sik for stage performance.

Eunjung was amazed by each of them. She couldn't stop admiring them for their struggle and achievements. She imagined how proud her parents could be to see their daughter shining like no other star. Her eyes got teary as that thought came to her mind.

I will give my best and work harder than everyone else, she promised herself. At that very moment when she stated her promise, she heard someone whispered the exact same words. "I will give my best and work harder than everyone else," a voice said. She was shocked and turned to her right where the voice came from.

She found a guy wearing black skullcaps and navy blue t-shirt. Eunjung kept staring at him, still surprised. That guy realized that he had been stared at, so he turned and caught her eyes. Eunjung was startled and immediately apologize.

"Ah, I'm sorry for being rude. I'm so sorry," she bowed her head few times.

That guy seemed surprised also. He shook his head, "It's okay. Is there anything wrong?" he asked.

"No, nothing. I was just blank," Eunjung made up an excuse. It seemed to work, because that guy nodded.

"I'm Kim Soo Hyun, nice to meet you," he smiled as he introduced himself.

Her heart throbbed. She answered in shaky voice, "I'm Ham Eunjung. Nice to meet you too."

She smiled nervously and focused on the stage again. She couldn't look at him. She didn't know that the guy who made her heart thumping, couldn't take his eyes off her. Even the noisy auditorium couldn't distract him.

"Ham Eunjung..." he whispered.