A Beautiful New Friend

It's Us, Together

“You can see your class on the wall outside this hall. Make sure you download your daily schedule on our website. We’ll see you in the class, people!” Ms. Han directed the new students to see which class they were in.

Everybody left the room and looked at the papers on the wall. They were divided into 5 classes, from class A to E. Eunjung was in the class B. Her first lesson was acting class with Mr. Choi. People were already ing to see the schedule, so she hardly left there right after finding her name. She looked for the class room in the navigation device like the one in the main lobby.

The classroom wasn’t really a class. It was like a mini theatre, only there were no chairs for audience. Eunjung was so amazed that she didn’t realize she was blocking the way.

“Excuse me,” said a girl. Eunjung turned back and found a pretty girl standing.

“Ah, I’m sorry. Annyeonghaseyo,” she greeted her.

The girl chuckled. “It’s okay. Annyeonghaseyo,” she greeted back. She walked inside and sat right in front of the stage. She turned her head to Eunjung and called her.

“Chingu, come and sit with me,” she said. Eunjung smiled and went to sit beside her.

“I’m Eunjung,” she said when she sat. She gave her hand to shake.

“I’m Hyomin. Nice to meet you,” she shook Eunjung’s hand.

“This university is very cool, isn’t it? I didn’t regret it even though I fought with my parents for this,” Hyomin told her while her eyes were observing the room.

Eunjung winced. “You… fought with your parents?” she hesitantly asked. Hyomin nodded, still admiring every corner of the room. She didn’t look like she had slipped out about the fighting.

“Yep. My parents wanted me to take law major instead of art. So we had fight. I told them that after my debut, I’d pay them back all the expenses for this. Now I’m very sure I made the right decision,” she told Eunjung without feeling awkward or shy.

“Wow…” Eunjung lost her words. Hyomin looked at her and winced. Her expression said why?

“Nothing, it’s just I’m amazed by your frankness. But I’m glad though,” Eunjung smiled. Hyomin smiled too, even wider.

“What about you, Eunjung-ah? Where do you come from?” Hyomin asked. She focused on her new friend this time.

“I’m from Busan. I’ve spent my entire life there, so this is my first time being out. I feel like flying in the open sky. I’m very happy, and my family support me too,” Eunjung described her feelings explicitly. Hyomin chuckled.

“You really do look happy. I hope we can be good friends.” Hyomin gently squeezed Eunjung’s hand. Eunjung nodded cheerfully.

The noisy class suddenly became silent. It turned out that the lecturer had come. He came and sat in front of the student.

“Okay, people. Good morning, I’m Choi Seung Ho. We’ll laugh, cry, getting angry together. But one thing for sure, we’ll have a lot of fun together. Agree?”

“Agree, Sir!” the students shouted in unison. Mr. Choi smiled widely and went up to the stage. He flicked his fingers and the lights were dimmed. Then one spotlight shone directly to the stage.

“Now I’m gonna get you familiar to this classroom. I’m standing on a stage which you’ll use to practice and do the exams. And right there…” he pointed at small addition room behind them. “It’s the control room. There’s always an operator to watch over everything. You can control the lights, sound systems, and curtains from that room,” he explained.

He continued, “Back there is what you call backstage. It’s always messy during a show, because it’s where you change or fix your wardrobe, prepare the properties, exchange electronic tools, and everything else.”

Mr. Choi sat on the stage. “Now, it’s your turn. There are 20 students and I would like to know each and everyone of you. Please come forward and introduce yourself,” he asked nicely. “Start from you.” Mr Choi pointed at the girl who on the left.

Some of the students were still shy and couldn’t talk well on the stage. But there were also some of them who were very confidence of themselves, including Hyomin.

“Annyeonghaseyo! I’m 35th generation of Allegro, Hyomin. Nice to meet you all!” she looked powerful and cheerful. Eunjung chuckled. She looked around and found most of the boys were already drawning in Hyomin’s charm.

“Very good. Next,” said Mr. Choi. A male student came up. Even from his back side, everyone could see that he was handsome and cool. The girls were already murmuring.

Then he turned his body. “Annyeonghaseyo, I’m Kim Soo Hyun. Nice to meet you.” He bowed with a cute smile on his face.

Eunjung was surprised. She recognized him and immediately recalled what happened in the hall room. She was embarrassed and turned down her head without realizing.

“Nice to meet you again, Ham Eunjung.” Eunjung was dropped in silence. She didn’t move for a second. Then slowly she lifted her head.

He caught her eyes and locked them. That smile was still there, only this time, he was sitting right in front of her. It meant that smile was given only for her. And it made her embarrassed—again.

“Nice to meet you too, Kim Soohyun…” she replied. She managed to smile. A sweet one.