Chapter 1

A Place in My Heart

Raymond and Ron strutted into the bar. Through the haze of smoke and mist they were able to see Kevin and Joe sitting at a table in the back. With grace as if warding off attacks, they made their way through the herd of people chatting in the overcrowded bar.

Kevin looked up the moment they arrived, “I’m glad you guys are able to finally join us,” he greeted with friendly sarcasm, “You’re almost an hour late! What happened now?”

Raymond smiled and tilted his head at Ron, as if he was the answer. Without responding he sat down beside Kevin and grabbed a chilling beer from the stainless steel bucket.

Ron took the seat next to Raymond and began apologizing profusely, “I’m sorry. I thought we were supposed to meet an hour later. I was at home cooking when Raymond called me from work on my cell phone asking where I was.”

Kevin laughed and slapped Ron playfully on the shoulder, “Home cooking huh? You’re getting too domesticated. Soon you’ll be ironing and doing house work,” he joked.

Raymond laughed along and said, “What makes you think he doesn’t do those now? I guess I shouldn’t complain since he does keep our apartment neat and tidy. And my clothes are always wrinkle free.”

Joe smiled and spoke, “I think it takes a real man to be able to do all those.” He winked at Ron and Ron smiled gratefully at him for his defense.

“Who is that? She’s very pretty,” Raymond breathed suddenly as he stared off towards the distance. The others turned to look in that direction and knew immediately who Raymond was referring to. The target of Raymond’s interest was dressed in a chic short black dress that hung to her curves and showed off her fantastic legs. Her hair fell in waves around her shoulders, framing a delicate angelic face. She smiled sweetly at her friend, who was in one word “plain” compared to her. “I would love to meet her,” Raymond said out loud, getting up from his chair.

Kevin pulled on his sleeve, “Wait a minute. You can’t just walk up to her.”

Raymond shot Kevin a dubious look and retorted, “Why not?”

Joe also turned to Kevin with curiosity, “Yeah, why not?”

“Because it’ll make you look too eager,” Kevin explained with an exaggerated sigh. He pulled on Raymond’s arm for him to sit back down. “At least wait for her to get to her table first.”

Raymond knew Kevin was right. With his eyes still fixed on the pretty girl, he sat back down. He’ll give it ten minutes and then head over and introduce himself.

“Hey, I know her!” Joe exclaimed capturing their attention as they turned as one to look at him expectantly.

“You know that pretty girl?” Raymond asked anxiously. “Do you really?”

Joe bit back a smile and said, “No, not her. I know her friend.”

Raymond turned to look at the pretty girl’s friend and scrunched up his nose in disdain. Dressed in an oversized sweater and baggy cut-off jeans, with her hair pulled back sloppily at the nape of her neck, she projected the very image of a homeless beggar. He turned his attention back to Joe and asked, “How would you know someone like that? She looks like something off the streets.”

Joe laughed heartily, “We used to work together and often had lunch. When the company went bankrupt we lost touch and I haven’t seen her since.”

Kevin leaned on his elbow and said, “Her? For a moment I though it was a guy with a pony tail.”

Raymond chuckled agreeing with Kevin’s analysis of her. With a grin he said, “Joe, since you know her don’t you think you should go over and say hello. After all you guys used to be co-workers and might want to catch up.”

Joe saw the gleam in Raymond’s eyes and knew what he was asking, “Uh, so does that mean you want to come with me?” he asked innocently, giving him a bemused look.

Raymond stood up, “Of course.”

They walked towards the women’s table and the pretty one in the black dress sensed their approach for she looked up at them in surprise. “Yes?” she asked, her voice was soft and buttery.

Joe gave her a quick glance then turned to look at her friend, “Charmaine, do you remember me?”

Charmaine looked at Joe then recognition hit her. She jumped to her feet and slapped his back, “You’re Joe from accounting!”

Joe laughed, “That’s me! It’s good to know that you still remember me otherwise I would feel like an idiot.”

“How are you?” Charmaine asked as she pulled a chair for Joe to take. “It’s been so long.”

Joe chuckled and answered, “I’m doing great. I’m working in a smaller firm now and although the salary isn’t high it offers me security. That is unless the firm goes bankrupt on me like the last one.”

Charmaine snorted at the joke then turned and gestured at her pretty friend, “This is my good friend Linda.”

Joe smiled and shook her hand, “Hi Linda.” He pulled Raymond forward, “This is my friend Raymond.”

Raymond stared at Linda as if in a trance, “Nice to meet you,” he said as he took the seat next to her. He barely glanced at Charmaine as he offered her a quick hello.

Joe signaled the waiter, “Can you get these ladies another round on me?”