Chapter 21

A Place in My Heart

Raymond shuffled out into the living room, a blanket wrapped around his body, his eyes half closed.

Ron, who was in the midst of leaving the apartment looked up when he heard footsteps. Noting Raymond’s disheveled appearance, he asked, “What’s wrong with you?”

Raymond plopped himself down on the sofa and moaned, “I don’t feel well.”

Putting his bag and keys aside, Ron went over to Raymond. He felt Raymond’s forehead and stated the obvious, “You have a fever. That explains why you’re not feeling well.”

Stretching out on the sofa, Raymond huddled deeper into the warmth of the blanket, “My head hurts and my throat feels really dry and sore.”

Ron tucked the blanket around Raymond’s shoulders then walked to the door. Opening the door he turned to look at Raymond with concern, “Listen, I got to go to this meeting but I’ll rush back afterwards to take care of you. In the meantime, don’t go anywhere.”

Raymond lifted heavy lidded eyes at Ron and despite his drowsy condition he managed to give him a weak smile, “Where am I going to go feeling like this?”

Ron chuckled and said, “With you who knows but I’m glad you still have a sense of humor.”

“Know what?” Charmaine asked as she stood at the entrance peering into the apartment. She saw Raymond lying on the sofa and immediately went to his side, “Are you sick?”

“He has the flu,” Ron answered. “Charmaine, do you think you could take a day off from work and help me watch over him? I would take off myself but I have a very important meeting that I must attend.”

Charmaine turned to look at Raymond, who was already drifting off to sleep, “Sure.”

“Thanks,” Ron said as he closed the door behind him.

“You don’t have to stay,” Raymond murmured with his eyes still closed, “I can take care of myself. Can you get me a glass of water and some flu medication before you go.”

“I know you can take care of yourself but I feel like doing a good deed today. Is that okay with you?” Charmaine asked lightly and without waiting for his reply headed into the kitchen. First she needed to make him something light to eat before she can give him his medication. Her culinary skills, if you can even call it that, consisted only of boiling water and scrabbling eggs, which she was sure wouldn’t appeal to Raymond at this time. She recalled seeing a cooking episode on making congee and it wasn’t that hard to accomplish. With her mind set, she began the task. An hour later, with the watery paste in a bowl, she took it out to Raymond who hasn’t budged at all since she left him. Placing the bowl on the table, she gently shook him, “Ray, get up. I’ve made you something to eat.”

Raymond slowly opened his eyes and looked at the white liquid in the bowl with disdain, “I thought you were supposed to take care of me, not kill me.”

Charmaine perched on the sofa next to him and helped him to a sitting position, “It’s just plain congee. Even I can’t mess that up.” She picked up the bowl of congee and held it out to him, “Eat a little so that you can take your mediation,” she instructed.

Raymond took the bowl from her and eyed the watery consistency, “This doesn’t look like congee. It looks like sewer water.”

Charmaine shot him an annoyed look and stood up. She turned to leave but Raymond grabbed her arm staying her. With a grin, he said, “I was only joking. I know that you don’t know how to cook and I'm touched that you actually made this for me.”

The words sounded sweet to Charmaine, better than any compliment she ever received. Smiling shyly she sat back down next to him. “I know it’s not good but it’s my first time making it. And you need something in your stomach before you can take the medication.”

Raymond looked at her in wonder and softly said, “Whoever becomes your future husband will be one lucky guy.”

Shaken by the sincerity of the compliment, Charmaine felt herself blush. She quickly looked away hoping that he wouldn’t notice.

Raymond ate a few spoonfuls and handed the bowl back to her, “I don’t have much of an appetite but I’ll finish the rest later. Can you give me the medication so that I can sleep?”

Setting the bowl down, Charmaine took the pills out from her pocket and retrieved the glass of water she had brought out along with the congee, “Here.”

When he had taken the medication, he slid back down on the sofa, “Sleep is all I want to do,” he mumbled, his eyes already closing again.

“Don’t you want to sleep in bed?” Charmaine asked, her hand on his arm ready to help him up.

Raymond re-opened his eyes, “I’m so sick that I can’t even think straight,” he muttered then swung his feet to the floor.

Charmaine helped him to his bed and when he was settled in, she brought him a thermo of warm water, “For when you wake up,” she explained, “Your mouth will bound to feel dry.”

Snuggling into the blanket, Raymond closed his eyes. The medication was making him drowsy and for a second an image of Linda and Bosco flashed across his mind. He didn't know where that came from since he hadn't thought of her in a while. Caught off guard by the image, he didn’t realize that he spoke her name out loud, “Linda.”

Charmaine heard the name and felt a heaviness in her heart. With her head down, she quietly left his room.